Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG, Consider me sold. A PvE option in a Sandbox MMO

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

In the immortal words of Eve Baxter from Tim Allen's SitCom "Suck it Nerds".  Hahah OMG finally an option to play PvE in a sandbox world.  Consider me Frikken sold now.

The Repopulation's going to have two distinct server rulesets when it eventually launches. Option one will be a standard PvE-focused environment with optional PvP and associated flagging mechanics. "The standard ruleset should be suitable for most types of players. You have a full compliment of resources and PvE tiers available in protected areas," explains the latest Repopulation dev diary.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/01/23/the-repopulation-will-feature-both-standard-and-pvp-servers/

Thank you, Thank you so much for this A&A Tech! Finally a studio that gets it.

(Dear Mods don't ban me for being excited please, the 1st sentence was in jest)

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    PVE in a sandbox?  Is that even legal?  *grin*
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Seriously. I can't wait to play this now.

Joined - July 2004

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Thank you, Thank you so much for this A&A Tech! Finally a studio that gets it. 

Amen to that!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

The rise of sandbox games begins here. The other sandbox game devs will be bewildered trying to figure out what the heck it is that made Repopulation so popular against the ancient sandbox rule of "we shall only have a handful of players" - the bold PvE maneuver will show that the problem never was in the game not handholding the players.

Lol, but really, I think this is a good move, the game will have a lot more people behind it when there will be a PvE option too. EVE online is a good example of this as a game that does NOT have a PvE option, most of the playerbase in EvE reside in the high security space where you can avoid all PvP as long as you dont make your self a target. The PvE server will be a great place for the Repop devs to farm much needed RL gold to keep up the development at a decent pace ^^

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

You are mistaken. There is no PvE option in the repooultion. The nation building areas, which make up 2/3 of the land mass, are forced PvP areas even on the normal server. These areas also contain the highest concentration of the best mats and may be the only place you can go to get certain mats. If you want to experience the full game, you will be forced to PvP. Their system is no different than EvE in this regard. 

If you are a fan of pure PvE but also don't want to deal with PvP at all when progressing completely, you will be disappointed by the normal server rule set. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    This is very good news indeed.  Game just went up a couple of notches in my book.  
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

As long as it doesn't affect PVP servers, I think most won't be too offended.  Even with all the options, there is always going to be someone who complains about PVP on a PVP server :/  never fails..

It does seem kind of anti-sandbox though .. since removing open PVP is a forced restriction in a game genre without restrictions.  Whatever turns people on I guess.

There should be a transfer block, preventing folks from moving characters between the 2 server types. 

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by xpiher

You are mistaken. There is no PvE option in the repooultion. The nation building areas, which make up 2/3 of the land mass, are forced PvP areas even on the normal server. These areas also contain the highest concentration of the best mats and may be the only place you can go to get certain mats. If you want to experience the full game, you will be forced to PvP. Their system is no different than EvE in this regard. 

If you are a fan of pure PvE but also don't want to deal with PvP at all when progressing completely, you will be disappointed by the normal server rule set. 

I dont mind PvP at all, I was more generalizing based on my experiences in games like EVE. Seems like many people got their hopes up for nothing then, a lot of people seem to think there's the traditional PvE / PvP server divide, even the Massively staff lol.

Edit; so I went to their site to see it for my self and it appears that the "PvE option" is indeed PvE option. It's the best PvE option I could hope for, as a player who loves to PvP and also loves to be left alone when doing casual PvE this is a perfect system, a vast area for PvE where PvP is not forced in any way, but also a vast area where PvP is forced. No need to create an alt on PvP server then. Excellent.

What comes to EVE, you are nowhere safe in EVE, you can be blown to bits as soon as you undock regardless of where you are, so it's quite a different system with actual huge no-PvP zone.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Edit; so I went to their site to see it for my self and it appears that the "PvE option" is indeed PvE option. It's the best PvE option I could hope for, as a player who loves to PvP and also loves to be left alone when doing casual PvE this is a perfect system, a vast area for PvE where PvP is not forced in any way, but also a vast area where PvP is forced. No need to create an alt on PvP server then. Excellent.

If you want to continue progressing your character and getting the best gear you are going to be forced into PvP. If you want to have a nation city at all you are going to be forced into PvP. The "endgame" all happens in forced PvP areas. Even if you only plan on playing the faction game, you will be forced into PvP outside the no-pvp at all areas. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

If you want to continue progressing your character and getting the best gear you are going to be forced into PvP. If you want to have a nation city at all you are going to be forced into PvP. The "endgame" all happens in forced PvP areas. Even if you only plan on playing the faction game, you will be forced into PvP outside the no-pvp at all areas. 

Forced at gunpoint? Or do you mean like with somekind of hoodoo magic, a ritual first, and then someone uses a small doll to imitate PvP action and I have to do it because the spell commands me?

Forced at gunpoint? Or do you mean like with somekind of hoodoo magic, a ritual first, and then someone uses a small doll to imitate PvP action and I have to do it because the spell commands me?

Most of the game happens where some form of PvP can be forced on you, whether its faction based of FFA based. You aren't going to be able to progress and play the whole game without going into these areas. A PvE server would ONLY HAVE consensual PvP. That's the distinction we need to make.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Wait, why wouldn't crafting get you the best gear?  Are certain mats only available in PvP zones?  For a game in which crafting is supposed to play such a huge part, I don't understand why it wouldn't give you the best gear.  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Wait, why wouldn't crafting get you the best gear?  Are certain mats only available in PvP zones?  For a game in which crafting is supposed to play such a huge part, I don't understand why it wouldn't give you the best gear.  

Crafting does give you the best gear, but the areas with the best resources, or at least the highest concentration of the best resources, are in the forced PvP flag allow areas. Only a very small fraction of the game's map is where PvP cannot happen at all. There are 3 levels of PvP zones on the normal server as well. There is No pvp at all, PvP between the NPC factions with an optional FFA PvP flag with it, and forced PvP flag allow area which makes up the biggest section of the game. 

For all these reasons is why I refuse to call it a PvE server. A PvE server would allow you to progress and get all the items in the game without worrying about PvP at all. It would let you play the entire game and all its features without being forced to PvP if you don't want to. However, The Repopulation wants to have territory control and player politics neither of which can exist in any meaningful sense without the ability to control resources and force others to submit to your will. This can only happen if other people can force you to PvP i.e. attack and kill you at will. The nation areas will have the best stuff and its the only area in the game where you can build a functioning player controlled city. So, if you want to experience player nations and get the best items in the game, well you will have to be ok with getting pvped every once in awhile. 

Because this is the rule set for the normal server, I'm not writing this game off. I prefer the hardcore server, but the normal server rule sets are ok with me because player politics will still exist, just not in as meaningful way as on the hardcore server. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Good to hear.  Hopefully this will rope some PvE only players into spending money on the game(even though they will have to PvP eventually if they want to experience more than half the game).  I wish the best for the game and bringing in some of the PvE crowd is a huge portion of the MMO population.  Hoping it will help them with development of the hardcore server as that is going to require a ton of separate development time and resources.

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329

Don't listen to him, the best gear is crafted. The best rescources will be in PVP zones but if you don't want to PVP you can have a crafter make the best items for you. If you want to craft, you can buy the rescources from someone who got them from the PVP zones, and then use those to craft.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

This is not completely correct. There are no PvP only materials, though resource spawners in contested areas do have higher concentrations of materials and are intended to be hotspots for PvP activity (protecting your nodes). The full compliment of tiers and PvE content is available in each of the factions protected zones, which each make up 1/3 of the landmass. The other third is primarily contested/nation building areas with some parts of it also being protected for all players in a couple major Rogue cities.

The only thing a player who does not want to venture into contested territory would miss out on is the player created city and associated siege aspects. You can partake in everything else (other than PvP of course) without ever stepping foot into contested soil if you wish. And the protected areas themselves are good sized. There's over 64km to explore there.

Repop encourages players to venture into contested territory. You don't have much to lose. But if a player simply hates PvP they can avoid it completely.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by JC-Smith

This is not completely correct. There are no PvP only materials, though resource spawners in contested areas do have higher concentrations of materials and are intended to be hotspots for PvP activity (protecting your nodes). The full compliment of tiers and PvE content is available in each of the factions protected zones, which each make up 1/3 of the landmass. The other third is primarily contested/nation building areas with some parts of it also being protected for all players in a couple major Rogue cities.

The only thing a player who does not want to venture into contested territory would miss out on is the player created city and associated siege aspects. You can partake in everything else (other than PvP of course) without ever stepping foot into contested soil if you wish. And the protected areas themselves are good sized. There's over 64km to explore there.

Repop encourages players to venture into contested territory. You don't have much to lose. But if a player simply hates PvP they can avoid it completely.

Thank you for these clarifications.  Up to this point in the thread, the information given out by some of the posters sounded like PvE would a tiny part ( > 35%) of the game, and gear / crafting / leveling would be extremely restrained.

• PeZzyPeZzy Member UncommonPosts: 154
    They are promoting an SWG style of gameplay, yet they are forcing people to PvP? That doesn't sound right. Even on SWG's designated PvP servers, flagging was optional unless you were in a guild war.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Frankly, this is idiotic.  A sandbox MMO without PvP as the backbone, or making PvP "optional" equals another themepark.

More pseudo-sandbox MMO developers without a clear vision, plus trying to cater to "everyone" in fear of not making enough money.

Shameful. Going to pass on that one.

Isn´t it funny, there is a felt number of 500 safemoder themeparks out there, specifically made for them, but now they need to infilitrate sandbox MMOs too. Because "sandbox" is now the cool word of the year?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Frankly, this is idiotic.  A sandbox MMO without PvP as the backbone, or making PvP "optional" equals another themepark.

More pseudo-sandbox MMO developers without a clear vision, plus trying to cater to "everyone" in fear of not making enough money.

Shameful. Going to pass on that one.

Isn´t it funny, there is a felt number of 500 safemoder themeparks out there, specifically made for them, but now they need to infilitrate sandbox MMOs too. Because "sandbox" is now the cool word of the year?

Overreaction Award of the year goes to:

DocBrody!!!

You stay sassy!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Alalala

Thank you for these clarifications.  Up to this point in the thread, the information given out by some of the posters sounded like PvE would a tiny part ( > 35%) of the game, and gear / crafting / leveling would be extremely restrained.

Unfortunately i disagree, either the server is PvE with Optional PvP, or its just a PvP server. At the moment it doesn't sound any different to DF;UW in that there are safe areas, and there are PvP areas, with the majority of the 'map' being PvP flagged. If a game forces the player to be flagged for PvP, that it is not in fact a voluntary option, then it is by default, a PvP server, and no amount of prevarication can really change that.image

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I feel a great disturbance in The Grief! As if a million Goonies had all cried out at once!... ^^  I may have to check this game out, when it launches.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    I feel a great disturbance in The Grief! As if a million Goonies had all cried out at once!... ^^  I may have to check this game out, when it launches.

can´t you just stay with Wow or something.. more Wow-cloney?

I´d highly appreciate if sandbox MMOs are not turned into themepark MMOs for a quick buck off the casuals and safemoders.

btw, nice avatar carebear you got there fella.

• hulgarhulgar Member Posts: 93
    I backed it..and now with non enforced pvp im even more eager to try it..very good move
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Alalala

Unfortunately i disagree, either the server is PvE with Optional PvP, or its just a PvP server. At the moment it doesn't sound any different to DF;UW in that there are safe areas, and there are PvP areas, with the majority of the 'map' being PvP flagged. If a game forces the player to be flagged for PvP, that it is not in fact a voluntary option, then it is by default, a PvP server, and no amount of prevarication can really change that.image

The difference is that they set the game up on the normal server to allow you to participate in only PvE unless you want to own a player city, which for politics to matter, needs to be in area where PvP is forced. But I agree with you, its not a PvE serve, but its also not a PvP server either. The closest equilivant is probably games like ESO and GW2.

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher