Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Exclusive MMORPG.com Q&A with Brad McQuaid

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Ok burntvet, you've said your piece, now stop bashing.  If you dont want to support it then dont, other people might.  A lot of us would like to see this come to fruition and it needs all the help it can get.  If it gets made and sucks, guess what, it wont have affected you AT ALL, if it gets made and rules, its another option for you. So enough negativity

Not a single word of that is bashing in any way.

Just the plain, simple truth about any KS.

It is a pet peeve of mine when people spout off about "investing" in a KS, when it is not investing in any way, shape or form.

It is giving your money away for an unsecured promise of getting something later.

Uhm, thats exactly what investing is. All forms of investment involve some level of risk. The return on your investment is a product that you want that nobody else is making.

Its not investment by the strict financial definition, but its absolutely investment.

Investing is getting something for something, a part ownership, shares, rights to future profits, etc. It is especially true, in the context of hitting people up for money, which is exactly what this is, and why it is not investing.

And it is not about risk.

This is getting nothing for something, except for a vague promise of something, should a product ever exist.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

Our community recently had the opportunity to submit questions to Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen's Brad McQuaid. In one of the fastest turnarounds in history, Brad has returned the questions and we've got it exclusively for our readers. Check it out and then head to the comments.

Read more Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - Exclusive MMORPG.com Q&A with Brad McQuaid.

Vanguard Shutting Down July 31, 2014....

Anyway - Brad said faction.  But is this just guilds joining factions for pve purposes and will we have another game where human paladins and goblin sorcerers work together to defeat AI pixels?  Or, will this be real faction v faction so lore matters?

So tired of my elf vs your elf.  For once, I want some damned factions in a so called "traditional" mmorpg like Brad suggests. 

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by remsleep

It all sounds great, great answers, all good so far.

BUT

Ive heard this before, many MMORPGs sound awesome in concept, changes happen during development, this is inevitable (especially for a kickstarter, where *lots* of design changes happen).

So not to sound pessimistic, I am not getting my hopes up just yet. Show me something playable and mostly complete - if it still matches what is being put on paper now, awesome, but previous experience is leaving me very doubtful.

I have to agree with this. Show us close to the finished project, and then launch a Kickstarter. I know for some companies/devs money is a major issue and for that I understand, but when nearly nothing is there to go off of, we just have to trust their word. Some occasions where that doesn't go over too well.

TL:DR - "It's easy to talk the talk, but can they walk the walk", Cheesy but it works for this situation perfectly.

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Drago

This project will fall by the wayside due to it not getting the funding needed. 28 days left and it just doesnt look like it'll be possible to reach the goal.

How is anybody going to put money into something that they have nothing to show for and that alpha footage is TERRIBLE and should of never been shown.

When the guys at Grim Dawn got on Kickstarter, they done it right and had gameplay footage to go along with it.  Mark my words...this game will not get to 800k in 28 more days

Pretty much exact same statement was made about Mark Jacob's Camelot Unchained and Garriots Shroud of the Avatar.  Both games went on to fund at 2+million and 1+million respectively.  I've watched Kickstarters that looked to fail by a large margin turn around in the last 72 hours.  If Brad and company continue to work hard, Pantheon can make it.  The genre needs an MMO like this.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I will buy into the game when PvP and crafting are implemented. Other than that it sounds good so far.
  • VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Everquest 1 was great. Everquest 2 not so much. Vanguard....

Not going to buy anything else with his name attached to it.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Fearum
    I will buy into the game when PvP and crafting are implemented. Other than that it sounds good so far.

Crafting and PVP will not get implimented if those who are interested don't help.

Chicken or the egg which one comes first. Why wait for someone else to do it when you can -help- do it?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Vercin

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Everquest 1 was great. Everquest 2 not so much. Vanguard....

Not going to buy anything else with his name attached to it.

What is everyone's deal with Vanguard?

I understand hating that it had bugs, but a game being buggy is a far less troubling thing than a game being designed poorly, and Vanguard was NOT designed poorly. It just had a bad engine behind it. SO did Oblivion and Skyrim yet people love those games.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Why did no one ask him the single most important question about this game?  

"Brad, when you were deciding what to name this MMO, did you just google 'Random Generic Fantasy Name Generator,' or did you just draw it out of a hat?"  

You people disappoint me.  

• SanctitySanctity Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Why did no one ask him the single most important question about this game?  

"Brad, when you were deciding what to name this MMO, did you just google 'Random Generic Fantasy Name Generator,' or did you just draw it out of a hat?"  

You people disappoint me.  

I'm sure the name spawns from the fact that a majority of the guys on his team were shitcanned by SOE and they're trying to do an indie comeback.

At least it isn't a phoenix reference.

I put my money where my mouth is on this venture though.  I'm all-in (more than any other single backer), pass or fail. 

Not because of McQuaid's name being on it.... but because I want them to dick-punch SOE where it hurts and I want to see what they can do, given the opportunity.

I don't see any other major prospects on the horizon offering the same things as Panthon (+ having some of the guys who made the best content in EQ on board).

I just wish they had something more than ideas to put out and would put them out a bit more professionally

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    So Pantheon is lagging a bit behind in the funding and all of a sudden Vanguard which was able to run on auto pilot for years gets shut down. Don't want to wear my MMO tin foil hat but I really hope the two are not related. 
  • SanctitySanctity Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by DashiDMV
    So Pantheon is lagging a bit behind in the funding and all of a sudden Vanguard which was able to run on auto pilot for years gets shut down. Don't want to wear my MMO tin foil hat but I really hope the two are not related. 

It was a lot more than Vanguard that got shut down.  Not to mention, the door closing date is actually July 31st for all those games.

It sucks, but at least it isn't as much of a butt-rape as the MXO announcement at FanFaire.  "Thanks for spending $100's to come see us.. now fek off!"

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Meh.. another DirectX 9 MMO. Dime a dozen.
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Vanguard was pretty much only half finished on release.  No clue why they had to release it so early. The whole first wave of subs quit after a month or two.

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Too many crafting questions when we already knew the answers.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Originally posted by Fearum

Crafting and PVP will not get implimented if those who are interested don't help.

Chicken or the egg which one comes first. Why wait for someone else to do it when you can -help- do it?

Because their backing will probably only put it up to the $800k mark, which means they will both take their money and the game will get made without PvP. 

I'm going to wait until its near the PvP threshold personally.  A full PvE game does not interest me.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

Brad's day is long past. He helped make an amazing game in 1999 but it's 2014 now and he's long since been irrelevant. He didn't even show up for work during the majority of Vangaurd's development, which was reported by multiple employee's.

Now he's back playing at leader again expect everyone to just jump back on board another vision. This is probably the best possible example of "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and makes the true EQN but if you take those odds to Vegas you'll be trading oral favors for a ride home in no time.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Please give Brad more money so we can watch him have his staff fired in the parking lot again. This guy is way out of touch with reality, and his game ideas are pretty terrible.

"On May 14, 2007, the staff of Sigil Games Online were told to meet in the parking lot at 4:30PM and to take with them what they would need for the rest of the day. The employees were told that the launch of the game had not gone well, the company was in financial trouble and they were selling the company to Sony Online Entertainment. Director of Production, Andy Platter, then told the employees "You're all fired.""

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    FUUUUUUCK YEAH,,,, finally a developer who gets it !!!!! BRING IN THE HARDCORE!! MMORPG!!!
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by ste2000

I have to be honest, I believe the graphics put off quite a lot of people. I know they are placeholders but the majority of people don't know that and they made their mind based on the video.

Pretty sure Brad said they are working on a full demo, so hopefully that helps those peoples concerns. I am not concerned about it, I am sure they will come up with something great and whats 45 bucks for alpha beta full game and a month sub?

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    It's a deal, but people still want to shit in your sandwich. As far as kickstarters go this one is accruing cash faster than the ones that ive backed before so thats a good sign!
  • moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by EndoRoboto
    It's a deal, but people still want to shit in your sandwich. As far as kickstarters go this one is accruing cash faster than the ones that ive backed before so thats a good sign!

What games are you playing that you backed?

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195

Thanks Brad to answer those questions. I really like what I am reading.

Brad and his awesome team are the ONLY ONES, who can create an epic world to live and adventure in, where you feel you are in another world, as we did in Everquest. To many companies have lied about those things the recent years and we know Brad is the one who can do an epic MMO. There has been to many crappy MMO the latest years, where it feels you rush between different quest hubs. Where questing feels frustrating, boring and extremely repetive. For me all of them have only kept my interrest a few days. You are the only hope we have!!! You have my cash !!!

For those interrested about the game... Please help fund the game as it's the only chance we will have to get a great MMO to remember in the comming years...

Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen?ref=live

Information and Forum:

http://pjpantheon.com/

• ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by Maric
    Originally posted by Drago

This project will fall by the wayside due to it not getting the funding needed. 28 days left and it just doesnt look like it'll be possible to reach the goal.

How is anybody going to put money into something that they have nothing to show for and that alpha footage is TERRIBLE and should of never been shown.

When the guys at Grim Dawn got on Kickstarter, they done it right and had gameplay footage to go along with it.  Mark my words...this game will not get to 800k in 28 more days

Pretty much exact same statement was made about Mark Jacob's Camelot Unchained and Garriots Shroud of the Avatar.  Both games went on to fund at 2+million and 1+million respectively.  I've watched Kickstarters that looked to fail by a large margin turn around in the last 72 hours.  If Brad and company continue to work hard, Pantheon can make it.  The genre needs an MMO like this.

Brad and his team are the only ones who can make it. I don't see any other company in near future who can make a good MMO.

• clockwerk2013clockwerk2013 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Unfortunately this kickstarter will fall hard ... I Love his visions and ideas but it seems there is not enough interest in games like pantheon.
    What a pitty.