Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Best Hybrid MMOs of 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

2013 was a great year for the hybrid MMO with some truly solid contenders coming forth to earn your playtime. With only a scant few MMORPGs releasing, more players than ever before branched out into MOBAs, Action-MMOs, and MMOFPSs. It was a year of experimentation and exploration, widening horizons, and seeing just what the free-to-play market has to offer. Join us as we recount the best hybrid MMOs available in 2013. 

Read Chris Coke's The List: The Best Hybrid MMOs of 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I really want to like firefall and kind of do, but for some reason I can not get myself to play for more than about an hour. 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

I find it quite odd that Defiance isnt on the list.  This site rammed Rift down our throats and is doing the same with Trove.

I still dont quite get the hybrid notion anyway.  Arent MMORPG and MMO two different things and MMO nowadays applies to any game where more than 3 or 4 players play together regardless of if the world is persistent or not?

Seems to me we really need better terminology.  Because a key to MMORPGs is the persistent world.  Games like Defiance and PS2 are not really RPGs, but have the persistent world aspect.  I would call these hybrids.  Games like PoE and LoL lack a persistent world.  And I wouldnt call anything with less than 50 people online together during gameplay (not lobbies) "massively".  Thats just simply multiplayer.  I don't know what the number should really be to crossover into massive, but it certainly isnt 8. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    League of Legends, Smite, and DotA2 aren't "hybrid MMOs". Much like Guild Wars 1, MOBA's cannot be called MMOs because they lack massive in-game player interactions (the first M in MMO). They do have large playerbases, but these are divided into small instances (4-8 in the case of GW1, 10 in the case of most MOBAs). Even Guild Wars 1 had large scale town interactions, but, as this had nothing to do with gameplay, it was not referred to as a MMO, even by its own developers. 
  • causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I play Marvel Heroes because the of the article posted last week. It really is a fun game and a nice timesink. The game has a certain vibe and flow which I dig.  
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I've never heard of warface. I guess I know what I'll be trying out this weekend.

I think you have a good list. hybrid mmo is an interesting name for the types of games you've picked. I like it better than just mmo. I'm not all that hung up on what an mmo is but hybrid does warn the reader that it's something other than just an mmo.

The order of these lists never really matters much to me but I agree they all belong on a list of this type ( well othe rthan #10 because I know nothing about it yet :) )

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    a moba is not massively multiplayer, its instanced multiplayer
  • CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    if these are all MMOs, then every multiplayer game ever, is an MMO

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• akronakron Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Have to agree with the others here. It's nothing short of silly to label MOBA-games as MMO's.
  • LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

1) 'the best'? games with a p2w shop doesn't deserve to be called 'the best' in anything unless its a award about 'the best unmoral and unethical games of the year ....'!

2) as many others claimed before. moba-games aren't mmo's. also warface doesn't belong in this category. same for world of tanks and war thunder.

3) please define 'hybrid', because mmorpg.com itself defines 'hybrid' as a mmorpg that provide players with themepark- and sandboxelements.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    POE ftw ! best game
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by syriinx

I find it quite odd that Defiance isnt on the list.  This site rammed Rift down our throats and is doing the same with Trove.

I still dont quite get the hybrid notion anyway.  Arent MMORPG and MMO two different things and MMO nowadays applies to any game where more than 3 or 4 players play together regardless of if the world is persistent or not?

Seems to me we really need better terminology.  Because a key to MMORPGs is the persistent world.  Games like Defiance and PS2 are not really RPGs, but have the persistent world aspect.  I would call these hybrids.  Games like PoE and LoL lack a persistent world.  And I wouldnt call anything with less than 50 people online together during gameplay (not lobbies) "massively".  Thats just simply multiplayer.  I don't know what the number should really be to crossover into massive, but it certainly isnt 8. 

I think the terminology and definitions of MMOs and MOBAs depend greatly on the advertising dollars spent at MMORPG.com

Half that list shouldn't even be considered or featured on this site. This site is MMORPG.com. If we are going to call MOBAs relevant due to the high overlap of player base then hell, let's feature Minecraft here too.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

How the hell is Planetside 2 a hybrid MMO?

It's more MMO(even more MMORPG) than most so called MMOs these days (looking at you, SWTOR, Neverwinter, Rift, and all that gang).

It has no instances and allows thousands to play together in the same space.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

It's more MMO(even more MMORPG) than most so called MMOs these days (looking at you, SWTOR, Neverwinter, Rift, and all that gang).

Because it is a FPS.  And it does blend MMORPG with FPS mechanics and is exactly what i would consider a hybrid

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Hybrid MMO's, great another term for the new year to argue about.

But it is sort of accurate, in a certain way, and sets them a part from virtual world style games which the term MMORPG normally is associated with.

Maybe they could change the name of the site to HMMORPG.com

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

But it is sort of accurate, in a certain way, and sets them a part from virtual world style games which the term MMORPG normally is associated with.

Or maybe:

ARRAOG

Anything Remotely Resembling An Online Game

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I am far closer to being an MMORPG purist than I am to being a new-generation MMO means anything online style person, and I too am comfortable with the term MMO Hybrid.

After all if MMORPG is an RPG in an MMO framework, and MMOFPS is an FPS in an MMO framework, then MMO-Hybrid means MMO framework with something fused into it.

Somewhat of a slippery slope, because my multiplayer farming game that I play on Android would fit.  One persistent world, huge number of players (tens of thousands), publisher run servers.  It even has crafting :-)

Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

I am far closer to being an MMORPG purist than I am to being a new-generation MMO means anything online style person, and I too am comfortable with the term MMO Hybrid.

After all if MMORPG is an RPG in an MMO framework, and MMOFPS is an FPS in an MMO framework, then MMO-Hybrid means MMO framework with something fused into it.

Somewhat of a slippery slope, because my multiplayer farming game that I play on Android would fit.  One persistent world, huge number of players (tens of thousands), publisher run servers.  It even has crafting :-)

One of the issue with these terms is that "Massively" is relatively subjective

• NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52
    MMORPG.com's editors telling us that a moba is a mmorpg? HA! That must be a joke.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

it most be a joke yes, because moba's are not mmo's there multi player games but that is it.

It is not because you can buy items and wear them to get stats up that it means it is a mmorpg.

wow the people don't know what type of game there is out there anymore. It is a shame . 

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Because it is a FPS.  And it does blend MMORPG with FPS mechanics and is exactly what i would consider a hybrid

Except all these other hybrids aren't MMOs. They're small lobby games.

Planetside 2 is an MMO. There have been MANY first person MMOs, including EverQuest. They're not hybrids.

If LoL is a hybrid, then PS2 is a full fledged MMO.

SWTOR is more of a hybrid than PS2 is.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    [...]

One of the issue with these terms is that "Massively" is relatively subjective

Agreed.  Several years back when I had 'Wizards and Champions' listed, the MMORPG.com definition had massively multiplayer defined as 500 or more simultaneous characters in a connected (but not necessarily seamless) persistent world.  I consider that reasonable, as did they at the time.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Oh oh...now everyone will be mad at Suzie Ford for her list..
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Oh oh...now everyone will be mad at Suzie Ford for her list..

Except Suzie didn't write it.  She publishes the announcement.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

As a site aimed at MMO's, this list just dropped MMORPG's cred through the floor as far as I'm concerned. Hybrid MMO's ffs. Plain old MOBA games and lobby based shit get called MMO's now?

This site is turning to shit.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Warframe would've been a better choice than a couple of these...