Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst MMO you ever played?

Comments

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

looks like we have a lot of people who are fortunate enough to have not played the really bad mmos.

gw2? wow? SWTOR? AoC? Darkfall?

While I dont like half of the above all of these are solid games. 

The worst game ever is dark and light HANDS DOWN  I'll say it again but with larger text so people notice it as they scroll through

The worst mmo ever is dark and light, period.

Unless your game got shutdown due to the sheer amount of bugs and the development studio canned due to a lawsuit, you dont belong in the same awfulness category that is dark and light.

Scarlet blade is a distant second.

By the way dark and light took bugs a step above the rest.  Fallling below the terrain?  Happened regularly. Crashing your client because you pressed keys on your hotbar too quickly? check.  Crashing the server because mobs respawned half the time but were invisible to the game logic causing 500+ rats in single location? check.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Er, I don't know anyone who has had issues with inventory in Darkfall. The only macro I can imagine would be if you were trying to switch between a sword and shield on your character, and a bow in your backpack with one click. Pretty bad reason to uninstall.

This was many years ago, so hard for me to reference anything specific, and everything I look up is D:UW. There seems to even be a D:UW thread on it, though: https://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?365052-It-s-Time-to-Change-the-Inventory-UI

There were severe issues all over the interface, and they were also widely reported at the time (ergo, in contrast to your statement, most people I knew complained about similar things). It wasn't just inventory; I had issues properly walking, talking to NPC's, etc. I think horrible interface that requires macros to function is a very good reason to uninstall.

You did not need macros to navigate the Darkfall UI. It just wasn't the same GUI as WoW, so it actually had a learning curve.

And the inventory system in Unholy Wars is entirely different from the one in Darkfall, so a thread with people talking about the inventory from UW doesn't say anything about issues you had with Darkfall 1. Most threads hating on the Unholy Wars inventory system are asking for it to return to the Darkfall 1 style of doing things.

DF absolutely had UI issues, but maros were not needed for basic things. And pressing F to talk to an NPC isn't exactly "bad UI". And how did you not manage to walk properly? It's forward, hold shift for sprint.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

I kind of get a giggle when I see people mentioning WoW.  I mean, yeah...I get it....your MMO tastes are so sophisticated and it's certainly cool to hate on WoW, but c'mon people...no way in hell that is the worst game you've ever played.  lol.  Read the OP.  He's specifically talking about poorly made games with a lot of bugs.  There are many things to dislike about WoW, but no way can anyone with a straight face say it's the WORST mmo they've ever played.  At the very least, it's a damn well-made game.  To this day I haven't seen a game constructed any better, despite its shortcomings in gameplay and philosophy.  

I explained this in my post but to me a well polished game that gets me to play for a while but eventually just quit in disgust with no regrets or fond memories is worse than a bug infested pathetically bad game because it takes a lot more of my time with little more pay off, That is the category WoW is in for me.

But fine, if you're talking only technical aspects there are obviously worse MMOs out there.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

You did not need macros to navigate the Darkfall UI. It just wasn't the same GUI as WoW, so it actually had a learning curve.

And the inventory system in Unholy Wars is entirely different from the one in Darkfall, so a thread with people talking about the inventory from UW doesn't say anything about issues you had with Darkfall 1. Most threads hating on the Unholy Wars inventory system are asking for it to return to the Darkfall 1 style of doing things.

DF absolutely had UI issues, but maros were not needed for basic things. And pressing F to talk to an NPC isn't exactly "bad UI". And how did you not manage to walk properly? It's forward, hold shift for sprint.

I mean, that's great, but I am not sure why you are responding to me, really. I can't really go back 4 years and figure out what was going on. I only have D:UW data. All I know is that I had a very bad impression of the game's interface and the game's community, and I wasn't alone in that impression, nor will I be to this date.

If your UI has a learning curve, that's a very poor UI. The game is supposed to have a learning curve. The UI shouldn't, it should be as easy to understand as possible.

I don't know what macros were needed for. That's what I was told. Explain to me why your amazing community told me to write macros, and why I found forums where people were macroing everything, and talking about how being macroless was non-competitive? I've also heard the "Darkfall doesn't need macros" argument long ago then, and it was a semantic argument that many people disagreed with. Something was fuzzled there. You didn't physically need macros to use your inventory, but macros made it easier. Because you needed to open corpse, open inventory, click something, press a button, press another button...

Darkfall players wanting Darkfall inventory is not impressive. If they disliked the inventory, they wouldn't be playing it. Darkfall never had a lot of players. Poor UI was probably one of the reasons.

If I need to press F to do something and the game never tells me that I need to, that is bad UI design. I will have very little reason to assume that F is such a button without the game telling me it is. There's nothing wrong with right click and context menus.

Again, I can only reflect on what I recall. I was told to macro to properly manage inventory. I distinctly recall that experience. Maybe it was an older version of Darkfall, I don't know, but it was there, other people saw that it was there, forum posts were made about it being there, hyper-macroing was an issue, and nothing you are going to say here is going to make me change my mind on what I actually experienced.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Eve Online was the worst MMO I've ever played.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Impmon

Star Wars Galaxies

Their initial introduction of Jedi...  having to master a ton of the 20+ professions to unlock the special one.... and after the final combat revamp they make jedi a starting class lol.  Total insult to anyone who grinded them.

Yep... Pretty much this. image

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I mostly stick to mainstream so I haven't played anything too terrible. Worst I'd have to say is TSW. Great graphics, amazing questing and worst gameplay ever created.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Originally posted by cnutemp

looks like we have a lot of people who are fortunate enough to have not played the really bad mmos.

The worst game ever is dark and light HANDS DOWN  I'll say it again but with larger text so people notice it as they scroll through

Unless your game got shutdown due to the sheer amount of bugs and the development studio canned due to a lawsuit, you dont belong in the same awfulness category that is dark and light.

By the way dark and light took bugs a step above the rest.  Fallling below the terrain?  Happened regularly. Crashing your client because you pressed keys on your hotbar too quickly? check.  Crashing the server because mobs respawned half the time but were invisible to the game logic causing 500+ rats in single location? check.

This. So many people site games that they personally disliked as 'the worst games ever" when there are games that are objectively terrible products. Games that launched riddled with gamebreaking bugs. Games that commercially flopped within a very short time frame. Games with no redeeming features and a nearly non-existent playerbase.

GW2, WoW, SWTOR, AoC, Darkfall - and yes - even Neverwinter are at least legitimate games with dedicated players. None of these are objectively bad.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by evilastro
    One of the many Asian F2P I tried when I was taking a break from EQ2. Seriously people mentioning WoW, Neverwinter and SWTOR must have no idea what a real sub-par game looks like.

While you're technically correct I can't remember any of their names and how could I pick just one of them?  So I would go with Neverwinter because it's the worst I've played in the last 4 years, and it certainly had no shortage of bug related issues with all the dupping. 

I think most of the people that are saying WoW can't differentiate between "What is the worst mmo you've played?"  and "what mmo do you hate the most?" 

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Age of Conan when it first released. Never have a quit an MMO so quickly. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Aeander
    Originally posted by cnutemp

This. So many people site games that they personally disliked as 'the worst games ever" when there are games that are objectively terrible products. Games that launched riddled with gamebreaking bugs. Games that commercially flopped within a very short time frame. Games with no redeeming features and a nearly non-existent playerbase.

GW2, WoW, SWTOR, AoC, Darkfall - and yes - even Neverwinter are at least legitimate games with dedicated players. None of these are objectively bad.

I knew enough to stay away from dark and light so it can't be MY worst mmo ever. In fact I've avoided most of the train wreck games and have never played one that fits the category of unplayable. So... the one I liked the least got the nod from me. But you're right, it's not bad, it's just bad for me.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

As others have said, most of the games mentioned so far are actually fairly good games whether people liked them or not.

For a truly bad, bug ridden game, I would nominate Roma Victor. Almost as soon as I logged in for the first time, I left the starting village to explore and got stuck in the middle of a field, There I stayed. Other players were having the same problem and it took the devs a couple of weeks to fix it. I gave them the benefit of doubt as it was a small, Indy producer and would log on every couple of days to see if it had been fixed. Eventually it was but I found the rest of the game was similarly bug ridden and had to give up on it.

Earthrise and Gods and Heroes were pretty bad too but were still in beta when I played them.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Darkfall for me.

The bad UI, the craptastic community and the barren world left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

I literally made a friend he gave me a mount I used said mount, got off said mount guy ran up stole it and ran away. I don't like games that are this troll out of the gate.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I really wonder how many mmos people have played.

There is no way that a lot of what has been mentioned are worse than games such as scarlet blade.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by djazzy

I really wonder how many mmos people have played.

There is no way that a lot of what has been mentioned are worse than games such as scarlet blade.

that's why i mentioned "mediocre WoW-clones in general", because there are too many of them to mention, most of them are F2P

calling SWTOR, RIFT, GW2, or other big MMORPG as "the worst" is silly, becaus they are not

or mayble just like you said, people just haven't played any other mmo other than those big titles

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

UO .. very bad game.

Bad combat .. clicking on a rock forever to level up mining .. griefing everywhere. I am glad they don't make games like that anymore.

• UDproxUDprox Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Mortal Online, it was so unintuitive and buggy when I tried it years ago. I try to give most games I download at least some chance even terrible f2p asian games but MO lasted about 10 minutes before I gave up and removed it.
  • kurokayosamakurokayosama Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

What was the most shamelessly bug filled or just incredibly boring MMO you ever played? Something you uninstalled in less than 2 hours?

For me it was MapleStory. I made a char, walked left, walked right, killed some green blob thing and said to myself "So this is what Super Nintendo MMO would've felt like"

hmm for me it was two games,

1 - wow: all I could think was, is this the pile of shit all those people told me it's an awesome game suffice it to say I never ever listened to any of their game suggestions ever again ! 3 words describe this pile of shit completely: slow, boring, antiquated ! enough said.

2 - world of tanks: sorriest excuse for an mmo if there everrrrrrr was one, uninstalled faster than wow but it does earn kudos for at least trying to be original, I know it is a big hit game mostly in Russia which is understandable but I was disgusted by the slow motion gameplay, I hate most fps games and this was even worse than that, I wouldn't be caught playing this piece of garbage even if they paid me to do so, my fingers would rot.

EDIT:

maple story is easy, people either love it or hate it's guts, it's that kind of a game.

I loved it for it's cuteness, but quit very fast after I noticed that I spent 200 euro's in one week in their cash shop.

it was also my 1st experience with a cash shop :P

now I play guild wars 2 and it would take a revolutionary struck of genius akin to Albert Einstein game designer to pry me away from guild wars.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

Age of Washu

Great concepts, lots of innovation, but delivered as a nearly incomprehensible mess.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    If I would pick just 1 game, wouldn't be honest, but mostly worst/bugged/uninstalled in 10 minutes games were some crappy asians/chinese F2P MMORPGs.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

UO .. very bad game.

Bad combat .. clicking on a rock forever to level up mining .. griefing everywhere. I am glad they don't make games like that anymore.

You never played UO. You said yourself you were only a part of a stress test beta and never saw the actual game. I assume you just like ranting about UO all the time because you know it's almost universally loved by veterans on this site.

• AddersAdders Member Posts: 28

Well, considering I'm one of those rare WOW-virgins, and have never-ever been tempted to play crappy Chinese 2D browser MMOs...

Can't decide between Neverwinter and TSW. Neverwinter was appalling from the outset, but TSW was a bigger let-down.

I hyped and pre-ordered TSW, excited about setting, story, voice-acting etc. But actually never played past the beta - combat was utterly boring and repetitive, you couldn't interact with the world, you had to run long distances back and forth....

Ugh

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by UDprox
    Mortal Online, it was so unintuitive and buggy when I tried it years ago. I try to give most games I download at least some chance even terrible f2p asian games but MO lasted about 10 minutes before I gave up and removed it.

Agreed, not because it was necessarily buggy (I didn't find many) but within an hour of creating a character I'd been ganked multiple times while just chopping wood.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Impmon

Going to add Lord of the Rings Online.

I beta tested the game.  In the beta forums I'd make suggestions on improvements.  At the time there was a plethora of rabid lore mongers.  These wackjobs would attack anyone who didn't follow lore.  Even if it was a good idea.. OMG DERRR NOT IN DUH BOOKZ  MMMRRRRUHHH 111!!!

I got so pissed off with these idiots I would argue with them.  Usually I'd make them look like the idiots they were.  They were so desperate they whined to the mods saying I was harrassing them.  Ended up getting banned from beta.  The mods were at a loss to proove my harrassment so I was invited back.  I turned them down.

The amusing part.  They'd put in most of what I suggested half a year later when they started to go FTP to gain players.

You are so misinformed... LOTRO released in 2007 and did got f2p in like 2011 or 2012..

And i think they are still doing a great job at being true to the Tolkien story lines and world..  (except for the runekeeper)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by phantomghost
    Originally posted by Mystlynx
    Guild Wars 2, absolutely the worst MMO I ever wasted money on.  I probably didn't put in more than 10 hours before I couldn't stomach that lame pile of trash.

You know I almost always forget about this game.  I decided one day when I was bored to buy this game.  I never logged off a game faster. 

To make things worse I gave it a second chance and hated the game even more the second go around.

I had the exact opposite reaction to GW2.

I bought it... because my brother was like, "What do you think about this game?"  I told him I thought it would suck and I wasn't interested.  But he kept pushing it.  So I impulse bought it one night just to shut him up.  I installed it, played for about 15 minutes, and didn't touch it again for about a year and a half.

I recently reinstalled it last week and for some reason am having a decent time with it.  I guess it's because I'm a little MMO hungry - nothing else decent to play.

SWTOR left sort of a bitter taste in my mouth after the second week.  I was so totally pissed.  I bought the Collector's Edition and everything.

I know some people love to hate on SWTOR, but I actually enjoyed it.  Sure I had some issues - *cough* space battles *cough* - but it felt like a different MMO to me for some reason.  But anyway, I was playing a Smuggler/Scoundrel.  And after two weeks of people constantly whining, they do a knee jerk reaction nerf that totally crippled the class.

I wrote this lengthy post in the forums that got like 50+ pages of replies talking about what a bonehead nerf it was.

1.  Basically, everyone and their brother rolled an Inquisitor at launch - because... lightning.

2.  There was nothing wrong with the actual class.  What was wrong with the balance was their Expertise Gear system, and the buffs to Critical Hits and Damage were out of whack.  I laid it out for everyone to read all scientific like with actual game facts and number crunches so everyone could see.  I still got a few people who were so butthurt they couldn't reconcile the actual evidence right in front of them, though.

3.  Put that all together and with top gear, a Scoundrel/Operative was killing Inquisitors left and right - nevermind that other classes were doing the same thing.

My issue with the game was the bonehead decision to nerf the one class that was performing really well against the one class it was supposed to completely obliterate.  In the post, I went on to descibe how because of the nerf, all sorts of things were going to happen with the balance - namely, that Healers would be the FOTM class, because they wouldn't be killed... because the class responsible for killing them had been nerfed - Scoundrel/Operative.  Sure enough, that's exactly what happened, and my chosen class spend the next year or so being completely worthless in all aspects of gameplay.  Not to mention, the nerf, which was brought about because of PvP, completely borked an entire career path in a Class for PvE.

Anyway, this one decision.... I saw the whole thing laid out before my very eyes like clearvoyance.  I already knew what would happen.  They'd spend all the development time trying to balance the classes and get shit back to a working condition, that would not be anywhere near as good as it was from the beginning.  I ditched the BS at the first sign of trouble.  And that sucked, because I actually liked the game.

Worst MMO ever for me?  It's hard to say.  I've hated a lot of them.  DDO was pretty terrible, though.  AoC was too, but at least it had bare chested women in it if you wanted them.  RF Online was my one and only time ever playing an Asian Grinder... I lasted about 2 hours - and I spent that just figuring the game out.