Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF heavily group-centric MMO

MakaniMakani Member Posts: 6

Hi all...

Kind of bored with the current offerings. I kind of like FFXIV 2, but the instancing is a problem -- every time I meet people I like in a dungeon, well, they're all from different servers so we can never play together again... (I also liked FFXI, though I understand a lot changed after I left... Back when I quit the level cap was 75). (And FFXIV's guilds either tend to be very elitist and hardcore, or ones that don't do much together...)

I'm looking for an MMO that is heavily group-oriented, something that actually requires players to group for most of the content.

Budget is deep. Subscriptions and upfront costs and the need for a high end machine aren't problems...

PVE preferred, though I prefer something more like the FFXI of old than all this new stuff that tries to make the MMORPGs as twitch as most FPSs...

Doesn't necessarily need to be an RPG, I can play across a wide genre, though I do prefer if it's not twitch. (There are even FPSs that fit that bill, but they're rare). But pretty much, an online game with heavy grouping and not so much zerging... group based, but where the individuals matter and you have to get to know them. (I do hate MOBAs, which otherwise might be 'close enough' to MMOs..)

...IS there anything like that out there? I've been trying to research and search on my own, but it seems like too many are embarrassingly parallel to wow, or just discourage grouping a la GW2. (I did really like the art style and stuff in GW2 though...)

I have a hard time tolerating wow-style graphics but if the game's good enough in the grouping aspect I'll overlook it...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Have you tried EVE-Online? 
  • MakaniMakani Member Posts: 6
    I have...played it for a few years. I've even been thinking about maybe returning... but the group centric part of that is the PVP (Really it's a pretty PvP oriented game in general), so I'm fishing for alternatives...
  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    what about games like Diablo and Path of Exile? heavily group based

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    what about games like Diablo and Path of Exile? heavily group based

Hi,

Thanks for the recommendations...

Looking into these two, unfortunately, it seems like they're more group-based in the sense that GW2 is... which is really not what I'm looking for.

What I am looking for, well, it doesn't have to be the ole, traditional holy trinity, but...

I would like players in the game to be interdependent not because 3x the people means 3x the damage output, but because each person can do something the others can't do, and not having that capability is actually crippling...

For example, in GW2... yeah each class plays a bit different and has some neat tricks, but ultimately you can do without any of them -- ultimately you're all flavors of damage output, each with abilities that knock back, stun... maybe you can trade off being a glass cannon for particularly high damage, or so on... Ultimately, it's just having the zerg that matters.

From what I can tell  with a bit of preliminary research (correct me if I'm wrong), that's pretty much Diablo and Path of Exile, albeit on a smaller scale. Unless, for example, there's only one class with a stun and dungeons/missions/etc can't be run without a stun, another class (and only that class) that can crowd control which is similarly essential, etc...

The holy trinity's one way to do that and if there was a game like the original FFXI I knew of, I'd jump on that.

(Space station 13 is another way to pull it off without any sort of holy trinity, though that game's a bit obscure and largely PvP)

Unfortunately, I'd probably get bored of Diablo and Path of Exile just as fast as I did with GW2...

Thanks for trying though. Just hoping a game as described exists in the current gen somewhere...

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Have you played WoW? It gets shit on all the time but in all honesty it is probably one of the most successful raiding and dungeoning game out there.

• Have you ever played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? It is everything you're looking for, honestly. It has a lot of bugs but it's also receiving weekly updates.
  • ColderslaveColderslave Member Posts: 3

Aaah FFXI, such a good game! Best experience of my life!

Piss poor customer support and GM presence, but still a fantastic in-game experience!

Originally posted by Creatorzim
    Have you played WoW? It gets shit on all the time but in all honesty it is probably one of the most successful raiding and dungeoning game out there.

Yes, I did WoW for a bit as well. I agree it doesn't quite deserve the crap it gets but, well, I've moved on... Like EVE, it's one I might return to if I don't find anything else

Originally posted by jonesing22
    Have you ever played Vanguard: Saga of Heroes? It is everything you're looking for, honestly. It has a lot of bugs but it's also receiving weekly updates.

I can tolerate some bugs. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Originally posted by Colderslave

Aaah FFXI, such a good game! Best experience of my life!

Piss poor customer support and GM presence, but still a fantastic in-game experience!

I've really come to miss it... http://www.thatsaterribleidea.com/2010/06/analysis-of-ffxi-combat.html You just don't find games like that any more, among its many other aspects...

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Vanguard may be the best choice for you ..
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Hey mate, EQ and Vanguard are still my go to games for that type of play.   Also in funding is a game called Pantheon: Rise Of The Fallen, from the guy who made both EQ and Vanguard, Brad McQuaid.    You sound like me, the type of gamer Pantheon is geared towards.  Check it out.   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Mm.world of warcraft
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

The only modern MMO that absolutely requires Group Play is Vangaurd, there are no exceptions here don't let anyone tell you anything different.  The only way to avoid it is to simply not play large parts of the game and grind mobs until your fingers are bloody and your brain is fried.

I haven't played another MMO where that is true, you can reach max level in other games completely solo in a reasonable amount of time, with Vangaurd you just hit a wall unless you group up, and you will be happy you did.  The games group content is top notch.

Originally posted by goboygo

The only modern MMO that absolutely requires Group Play is Vangaurd, there are no exceptions here don't let anyone tell you anything different.  The only way to avoid it is to simply not play large parts of the game and grind mobs until your fingers are bloody and your brain is fried.

I haven't played another MMO where that is true, you can reach max level in other games completely solo in a reasonable amount of time, with Vangaurd you just hit a wall unless you group up, and you will be happy you did.  The games group content is top notch.

I've downloaded and installed Vanguard, going to try it this weekend

Originally posted by Daranar
    Hey mate, EQ and Vanguard are still my go to games for that type of play.   Also in funding is a game called Pantheon: Rise Of The Fallen, from the guy who made both EQ and Vanguard, Brad McQuaid.    You sound like me, the type of gamer Pantheon is geared towards.  Check it out.   http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

I'm now a backer of Pantheon... Ironically, in some ways it sounds more hardcore than I'd like... I'm not for overly harsh death penalties, and well, I'm fine with FFXIV's economy where very good endgame gear is accessible to anyone that grinds up the endgame currency a bit...

But if the group play lives up to it's promises it'll be worth it. Thanks for the recommend.

Question... EQ vs EQ2? Are they mechanically very different; is it only the first that has the group play focus?

Thanks!

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

FFXI is still group centric but a complete joke, you run around in raids in insta kill everything until you're max level.

The only truly group centric game left is project 1999.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Originally posted by Makani

What I am looking for, well, it doesn't have to be the ole, traditional holy trinity, but...

I would like players in the game to be interdependent not because 3x the people means 3x the damage output, but because each person can do something the others can't do, and not having that capability is actually crippling...

I would recommend DDO if you haven't played it yet.

Most of the stuff you do is meant for parties, especially as you get higher level - it's also one of those games where everyone in the group has a role to play and their specialties often help unlock areas or solve puzzles.

The traps in that game are also implemented very well, and they make having a rogue in the party quite a benefit.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/