Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Layer Cake

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Isoman
    Originally posted by elocke
    As much as I like the mechanics and features the game offers, the control style and aesthetics leave me wanting and this game just doesn't have that "magic" it needs to draw me in.  It's like it wants to be WoW but be different yet doesn't catch that certain "magic" that WoW had that kept me playing for so many years.  Come to think of it, no game since WoW really has.  Someone should do a study on what is the same in post WoW mmos and what is truly different and see where and what the missing "piece" is. 

For many people, the "magic" of WoW was simply their first mmo. For others, it was the polished and well combined features of previous titles into one game. Post WoW, there is no mystery or originality anymore. It's been said time and again; been there, done that. The magic is gone. As long as Carbine makes a game that is fun, entertaining, and keeps me coming back for more, that's all that matters. 

Well it wasn't my first MMO.  FFXI had that "magic" for me before WoW.  SWG had it for me before FFXI.  So...for me, your argument has no merit.  For you it may have been the magic of novelty, for me it is something else.  Something very tough to define but there none the less.

As for Wildstar, it needs to be fun, entertaining and have longevity yes, but so far...all I've seen and otherwise point to it not having at least 1 of those if not all 3. 

• Wilem82Wilem82 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking forward to someone making a mod to replace that ugly lump of UI-something in the middle bottom part of the screen. Maybe there'll be a Roth UI for WildStar or something.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Xirik
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Did I read that correctly?  "Get a smattering of words in quest text."  Does that mean it's not even fully voiced?  What is this, 2004?

So because one game is fully voiced it makes it the norm for all mmo's?image

One?  Catch up.  And even if it's not the norm for all MMOs, it is the norm for RPGs, and has been for years.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• IsomanIsoman Member UncommonPosts: 31
    As much as I like the mechanics and features the game offers, the control style and aesthetics leave me wanting and this game just doesn't have that "magic" it needs to draw me in.  It's like it wants to be WoW but be different yet doesn't catch that certain "magic" that WoW had that kept me playing for so many years.  Come to think of it, no game since WoW really has.  Someone should do a study on what is the same in post WoW mmos and what is truly different and see where and what the missing "piece" is. 

For many people, the "magic" of WoW was simply their first mmo. For others, it was the polished and well combined features of previous titles into one game. Post WoW, there is no mystery or originality anymore. It's been said time and again; been there, done that. The magic is gone. As long as Carbine makes a game that is fun, entertaining, and keeps me coming back for more, that's all that matters. 

Well it wasn't my first MMO.  FFXI had that "magic" for me before WoW.  SWG had it for me before FFXI.  So...for me, your argument has no merit.  For you it may have been the magic of novelty, for me it is something else.  Something very tough to define but there none the less.

As for Wildstar, it needs to be fun, entertaining and have longevity yes, but so far...all I've seen and otherwise point to it not having at least 1 of those if not all 3. 

I said for many people the "magic" of WoW was simply their first mmo. Many does not mean all. Like you, SWG had that magic for me as well, but only because it was my first mmo. I sense you're going out of your way to demonstrate your infinite experience over me in mmos, so let me save you the time by conceding to you on that point. However, to dismiss the premise of my previous post by claiming the magic for you was "something else" is a total cop out. If you don't have anything meaningful to add, please do us all a favor and don't respond with condescending or vague replies. I will now return to my casual gamer corner and let you hardcore types continue to rack up your thousands of forum replies.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Red carpet dodging,already done in FFXIV,so nothing new there.

Dodging is great IF done right,Unreal series started dodging and perfected it,GW2 made a joke of it with the rolling somersaults.

Double jump is what ruined the unreal series,it looks out of place and imo just dumb,i never got into Unreal after UT99 just because of that double jump nonsense.

Author thinks the red carpet does not dumb down combat,sorry but he is wrong,it most certainly does.You are NOT watching the field of combat,you are watching for the red carpet treatment of hand holding.In FFXI for example, the game that actually does combat HARD and intuitive,you had to LEARN each and every mobs tactics,there was and is no red carpet treatment to tell you exactly what it is.

Besides that FFXIV is already doing it,so WS is not bringing anything new to the table.

Aiming,well there will ALWAYS be a debate there,but since i have played pretty much thousands of hours of both,i can truly say that it depends on how interactive the combat system is.Aiming works perfectly in a FPS environment such as Unreal series or Quake or COD ect ect,it does NOT work well for a game that has intuitive rpg elements as such in FFXI for example.

The biggest and most determining factor as i see it,is how easy a game makes leveling.If levels are so fast,they become meaningless,that means the game becomes meaningless.Levels and advancement should feel like they are earned,there should be a sense of satisfaction,it should NOT feel like easy mode handouts at the candy store.

We will find out the real truths when the game is released,i personally have seen no indication the game will do anything amazing that i have not seen better in other games.Usually if a game fails a bit ,i can fall back on exploration or nice graphics,WS will not have that luxury,they MUST create a GREAT character and combat system because the graphics are not good enough ,the housing is not good enough it will be a one trick pony.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Dodging is great IF done right,Unreal series started dodging and perfected it,GW2 made a joke of it with the rolling somersaults.

Double jump is what ruined the unreal series,it looks out of place and imo just dumb,i never got into Unreal after UT99 just because of that double jump nonsense.

Author thinks the red carpet does not dumb down combat,sorry but he is wrong,it most certainly does.You are NOT watching the field of combat,you are watching for the red carpet treatment of hand holding.In FFXI for example, the game that actually does combat HARD and intuitive,you had to LEARN each and every mobs tactics,there was and is no red carpet treatment to tell you exactly what it is.

Besides that FFXIV is already doing it,so WS is not bringing anything new to the table.

There is a WORLD of difference between the "red carpet" feature in Wildstar and FFXIV.  You aren't even close to being on point regarding this subject.  And yeah, if you don't like the "hand holding" of telegraphs, there is an option to turn them completely off.  

FFXIV combat and Wildstar combat aren't even in the same ballpark to one another.  Not the same league, and not even the same sport.  

Oh, and one other thing you are wrong about:  You absolutely, 100% WILL BE focused entirely on the field of combat with the telegraph system.  I'm amazed you could actually think otherwise.  The fucking telegraphs are ON the field of combat, for crissakes.  What else would you call it?  

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I said for many people the "magic" of WoW was simply their first mmo. Many does not mean all. Like you, SWG had that magic for me as well, but only because it was my first mmo. I sense you're going out of your way to demonstrate your infinite experience over me in mmos, so let me save you the time by conceding to you on that point. However, to dismiss the premise of my previous post by claiming the magic for you was "something else" is a total cop out. If you don't have anything meaningful to add, please do us all a favor and don't respond with condescending or vague replies. I will now return to my casual gamer corner and let you hardcore types continue to rack up your thousands of forum replies.

Wow.  I wasn't even attacking you nor being condescending, nor trying to demonstrate any infinite experience over anyone in MMOs.  I merely pointed out that you gave 2 reasons for the "magic" not being there and I disagree with both due to my past experiences.  Not everyone is out to get you, you know.  At least not me.  The magic does have a lot to do with polish but it also has a lot to do with sheer amount of content and variation of said content.  WoW blew me away because I went through 3 different characters and still didn't see every quest in the game nor every zone on my leveling journey.  It was fantastic.  That and the music and sound effects were the best in the genre as well as character controls/feedback and UI interaction coupled with humor and an aesthetic which actually worked and didn't push me away.  I suppose that's the "magic" that all games seem to miss.  BUT, I bring up FFXI because it gave me that same "magic" just in different flavors.  I still remember the feel of FFXIs zones and the music and sound and the interaction with party members while leveling far more than I do my numerous characters in every other MMO aside from WoW since then.  So, the "magic" we're talking about here, CAN be repeated, it just hasn't been yet.  I'm waiting on the company who "gets it" to bring it back.  Just a matter of time now.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Did I read that correctly?  "Get a smattering of words in quest text."  Does that mean it's not even fully voiced?  What is this, 2004?

One?  Catch up.  And even if it's not the norm for all MMOs, it is the norm for RPGs, and has been for years.

and most of those rpgs only last at max 25-40 hours...

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Game looks good. I am absolutely going to play it. I wonder if they will copy GW2 downleveling and dynamic events though. Those are pretty cool features - and better then WoW quest hubs. WoW leveling experience is much better then most MMOs but it doesn't compare to GW2s. Which is currently the only 'chill out and explore" MMO out there. Though TESO looks to have that kind of gameplay too.
    Originally posted by GuyClinch
    Game looks good. I am absolutely going to play it. I wonder if they will copy GW2 downleveling and dynamic events though. Those are pretty cool features - and better then WoW quest hubs. WoW leveling experience is much better then most MMOs but it doesn't compare to GW2s. Which is currently the only 'chill out and explore" MMO out there. Though TESO looks to have that kind of gameplay too.

I think TESO is going for more of a GW2 look.  Wildstar appears to be pulling more pages from WoW.  That may be a turnoff to some.  It's definitely a quest-hub game.  I'm fine with it, personally.  Just give me a nice-looking world to explore, and I'm okay having to go to hubs for my quests.  GW2 was basically a quest hub game as well.  They just packaged those quests better than we've seen in the past.  

I'm okay with either style, as long as the game world is interesting and well-made.  

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Although I'm quite looking forward to this game. The wait and see approach still applies.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

There is a WORLD of difference between the "red carpet" feature in Wildstar and FFXIV.  You aren't even close to being on point regarding this subject.  And yeah, if you don't like the "hand holding" of telegraphs, there is an option to turn them completely off.  

FFXIV combat and Wildstar combat aren't even in the same ballpark to one another.  Not the same league, and not even the same sport.  

Oh, and one other thing you are wrong about:  You absolutely, 100% WILL BE focused entirely on the field of combat with the telegraph system.  I'm amazed you could actually think otherwise.  The fucking telegraphs are ON the field of combat, for crissakes.  What else would you call it?  

As much as I hate Wildstar for it's cartoony graphics and boring linear quest grind...  the idea... that anyone... would actually suggest that FFXIV's combat is comparable to Wildstar's is mindblowing to me.  FFXIV has the worst combat ever released by a AAA mmo while Wildstar's combat is the one thing the developers really hit out of the ballpark... and for some to suggest that they're the same...  Just ugh... 

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

" it’s time to grab a fork and tuck in to Carbine’s Layer Cake."

I don't know about you yanks but English people do NOT eat cake with a fork you heathens!

Use a SPOON!

O_x

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

I don't know about you yanks but English people do NOT eat cake with a fork you heathens!

Use a SPOON!

O_x

Dear chap, you have it all wrong! Firstly, it pains me to disappoint you but I actually am English, currently residing in one of the more modern parts of Hampshire. And secondly, you actually use a spoon? I'm not sure which part of this green isle you hail from, but such a flagrant breach of etiquette would certainly raise a few eyebrows in my neck of the woods. That said, the right tool for the job certainly helps; a smaller cake fork with bolstered prong is a definite boon when breaking up a slice of cake prior to consumption.

A spoon? Heaven forbid...

Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

What MMORPG besides SWTOR is fully voiced? And I mean fully, that includes your toon, not just NPCs.

I'd really like to know cause I want to play it

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

"Taking down mobs one at a time could get repetitive but, if I’m clever, I can group up two or three and take them down together. "

Is there any difficulty during combat with AI?  I think there should be a good medium between, for example - vanilla WoW - having to drink and eat after 1 or 2 mob kills and being able to AoE huge packs of mobs with little to no downtime...

IDK, people criticize some games for their easy PVE content.  All we've seen in WS is level 1-15, but I get a weird sense it's going to be too easy throughout.

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

action mmorpg's for soccer moms

yeah you have fun with that.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by geel
    I'm more and more turned off by these posts. I couldn't care less about the combat. I want all the other things just right. A cool world with cool mobs, cool loot and meaningful PvP. Seems like it will be just another A to B fetch grind to me with the occasional nonsense quest.

I'm kinda tired of this game already.....THey are going to have to shwo me alot because right now I'm seeing WoW in a different skin and no way do I want that.....By going the direction they did with the artwork, they are always going to have the wow comparisons.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Gazimoff
    Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Use a SPOON!

O_x

Dear chap, you have it all wrong! Firstly, it pains me to disappoint you but I actually am English, currently residing in one of the more modern parts of Hampshire. And secondly, you actually use a spoon? I'm not sure which part of this green isle you hail from, but such a flagrant breach of etiquette would certainly raise a few eyebrows in my neck of the woods. That said, the right tool for the job certainly helps; a smaller cake fork with bolstered prong is a definite boon when breaking up a slice of cake prior to consumption.

A spoon? Heaven forbid...

We use our hands here in Murica!  Sometimes we just smash our faces into it.

Birthday Cake In the Face

Originally posted by pmcubed

IDK, people criticize some games for their easy PVE content.  All we've seen in WS is level 1-15, but I get a weird sense it's going to be too easy throughout.

Actually, levels 1-34, not 1-15.  Still, endgame is a mystery at this point.  

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Another good read. I really enjoy the way they have questing laid out from what I have seen in live streams and videos. I like the remote turn in feature, that's something swtor did with a few quests that was really nice and kept you moving forward while questing. The dungeons look fun. I can't wait to see the end game the only glimpse we really had was that vine posted by Frost that showed everyone running in, and it looked awesome!
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by geel
    I'm more and more turned off by these posts. I couldn't care less about the combat. I want all the other things just right. A cool world with cool mobs, cool loot and meaningful PvP. Seems like it will be just another A to B fetch grind to me with the occasional nonsense quest.

I'm kinda tired of this game already.....THey are going to have to shwo me alot because right now I'm seeing WoW in a different skin and no way do I want that.....By going the direction they did with the artwork, they are always going to have the wow comparisons.

Looking at screens and videos gave me that impression too.  After having played it, it felt different from WoW the second I logged in.  They both have stylized graphics, but the game has completely different feel to it IMHO.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    This game looks like WoW 2.0. Same cartoony graphics in a "kids" world.

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148

All this hype with telegraph and combat I think that is going to become a letdown for a lot of ppl. The Secret World has almost the same mechanics, and even being fun, it ends getting boring.

Also I cant help but notice that the world is empty. Terrain and locations have very little detail. Almost no weather, wind, light, grass, wildlife animations nor NPCs that could give life to a wolrd.

Things gotta change a lot  for this game to be something more that a cute attempt to make an innovative MMORPG. As things stand now this game shouldnt deserve more than a 8/10 and that giving lots of points for his mechanics and being genorous.

I fear for the worst.