Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - which big name mmo are you most excited for in 2014?

1235»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Phry

Its because the PS4 has the edge with the GPU, though admittedly, if you ignore the difference in GPU capabilities they do look fairly similar, the difference is something not many really understand, though already the differences are visible, and which console won the 'war' is pretty much decided, though personally i don't see either of them as being good enough to replace a PC. 

Who won has been decided?  Was it the Steam Box?

I wish, that would really put a cat among the pigeons. The console 'market' probably does need that kind of 'shakeup' though image

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by collekt
    Originally posted by collekt
    Not that interested in the ones listed, and since Titanfail turned into a mediocre 6v6 shooter, really not going to bother with that either, Destiny has a few possibilities, but really not holding breath on that one, as it may well become just another titanfail, The Division though i am still keeping my fingers crossed for, it has possibilities, but so much depends on how well they are able to implement into actual gameplay features, i can't help but wonder if the issues with Titanfail etc, are because its on the Xbone, and subject to that platforms limitations, i hope it isn't but i suspect it might be, if so then i can only hope that The Division is a PS4/PC only game. image

Was Titanfall supposed to be more than that at some point? I haven't been following it for that long so I'm not really sure.

Are PS4 and XB1 really that much different in terms of hardware? It seems unlikely that PS4 is magically capable of so much more than XB1 as you're implying.

In terms of hardware, there is quite a big difference between the PS4 and the XB1, particularly where games are concerned, the PS4 is a LOT more powerful than the XB1, not that either of them are all that comparable to a high end PC, and at best, the PS4 is comparable to a mid range PC, but even the PS4 can handle games like Planetside 2, and it now looks like the only MMO's to make it to console, will be on the PS4, but yes, unfortunately the hype that surrounded Titanfail was leading many to believe it was way more than just a 6v6 shooter..  im just hoping that Destiny and The Division don't end up the same way.image

I'm not sure where you guys were getting that impression. I've gone back to look at past interviews, videos, etc. as far back as I can and I never got the impression that it was anything other than a multiplayer shooter. On the other hand, Destiny is specifically stating that it's more than that. It would be a drastic change for Destiny to all of a sudden just be a 6v6 shooter. These are far different situations between those 2 games. Misunderstanding vs what they are directly marketing themselves as.

Also, I've looked at the hardware specs and read reviews from others that know more about that type of thing. From everything I can tell, the systems are pretty close on hardware. The PS4 has an edge in terms of GPU but it's not something that's going to make such a drastic difference that some games will be PS4/PC only just because the XB1 couldn't handle it. I think you're blowing it out of proportion.

Its because the PS4 has the edge with the GPU, though admittedly, if you ignore the difference in GPU capabilities they do look fairly similar, the difference is something not many really understand, though already the differences are visible, and which console won the 'war' is pretty much decided, though personally i don't see either of them as being good enough to replace a PC. But i hope your right about Destiny, because nothing hurts a game more than limiting the number of players that can access it simultaneously, particularly to such a ridiculously low number like 6v6, even BF4 can handle 64 players, and while i don't really regard that as a large number, its a good deal more 'acceptable' than just '12' but this applies to The Division too, i like 'big' games, and with all the tech we have access to these days, we should be seeing more of it image

I understand the difference in GPU, and I understand that PS4 is a bit more powerful thanks to this edge. However, it's really not enough to deem some games as not viable on XB1 that run on PS4. The difference is not THAT much.. you could easily scale a few things back if you HAD to and realease it on XB1.

As far as number of players, not everything needs to be massively multiplayer. A lot of people enjoy small team based battles, like you've seen in shooters for a long time. This allows you to fill out a team with people you know, rather than fill out a small portion of a huge team. Battlefield is designed for more players through maps, vehicles, etc. whereas CoD is not designed for this and it's not needed. I agree that I hope Destiny is different, but I'd hardly call Titanfall a 'fail' before I've even played it just because it's 6v6. It might not be what YOU want it to be, but don't be so short sighted to condemn it to failure because it isn't 200 players on a single map.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

FFXIV ARR 

Its been a long time since i enjoyed playing a mmo, looking foward to the new content and features.

• GAANJAAGAANJAA Member Posts: 9

well its not a big name but my most wanted mmo for 2014 has definatly got to be ''Albion Online''  

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by catlana

I am interested in 3 for this year.

1. Elder Scrolls Online ( I like action combat & the ability to make my character into any type)

2. WildStar (I have found the Dev Speaks to be very funny. I hope the humor / fun is high).

3. Destiny ( Bungie hates the word MMO & will not classify the game as one), (the gameplay & graphics look incredible).

Maybe because it is not an mmo? Not coming to PC either.

Its a persistent open shared online world where you will be able to see other players thats not in your group running around in it minding their own business.  Its got public events in the world.   Its got rpg mechanics with character progression and classes.  Its got dungeons and loot where each weapon have their own mini skill tree.  Sounds like an mmo to me.

Not coming to PC....ok so? A lot of us here on mmorpg plays consoles too.  It looks more interesting than any PC exclusive mmos I have seen in the past10 years.

Its funny all the mmos I actually enjoyed in my life and found to be fun have been multi-platform like Final Fantasy 11/14 and about to be ESO, Destiny, and The Division.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Originally posted by Scorchien

Two points..  first ..learn to read .. where did i speak for any playerbase at all ... I didnt .. 

Originally posted by Scorchien

when you turn your back on the entire player base that supported you for 14 years and made your IP what it is...

You feel like they turned their back on you.  That doesn't mean the "entire player base" feels the same way.

I played EQ at launch.  I played EQ2 at launch, and still do occasionally.  I even played EQ: Online Adventures. EQN, if they deliver on their promises, is going to give me everything I actually like about the prior games, and substantially more on top of that.  In combination with Landmark, it even has the potential to be revolutionary.  I have no idea how many others who have played games in the series share my opinion, just like you have no idea how many share yours.

But what can be measured are the numbers.  There is no evidence that the audience for a game that was essentially the original EverQuest with better graphics would be large enough to support a AAA game budget.

Old school EQ and EQ2 player here. Also agree with Caz.  EQN is my most anticipated game, and I love the art style.  Please stop speaking for everyone else Scorchien, we can make up our own minds.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    EQN the game, NOT Landmark, is the only thing I'm looking forward to, but I got no reason to believe it will launch in 2014.
  • KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is my pick, the rest are just the same old junk that we keep paying for, I hope Pantheon can break those chains and cater to just the niche crowd interested in it.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

My vote went to ESO.

I'm excited about ArcheAge as well though.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I had to go with the elder scrolls online for a couple of reasons:

1)

For me it is the longest awaited...I was never into EQ in it's early days or prime. Yet, I have Played the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall (Arena came a year or so too early vs. the development of my interest in computer gaming). I know that likely sets me up to be disappointed. However, from what I have seen of the video's that they have put out...It looks like what I would have expected. What friends and I basically had thought around the time of Oblivion that an Elderscrolls MMORPG should look like.

That being: All the areas, one big game world. Basically looking and feeling the same. Ability to align ourselves with a cause/faction. New story. And, adjustments made to make it playable online with others. It just seems like TESO will completely meet my expectations. It won't surpass them. I doubt it will floor me in any way. But it may be one of the few MMORPG to come along in which I will feel I got what I wanted.

2)

I don't see the others as real contenders for my next game. With EQ Next...I just see what they are aiming for as too big, too quickly. I really think it might end up falling flat because they won't meet allot of the hype around it.

And, wildstar I only see as a sub that doesn't do anything unique and streamlines everything to an extreme. I think it's hype is largely based around how it creeped up on us and yelled "Here I am! and I'm gana be a sub game!"...It has a good approach to making itself a sensation. I am just not certain if it's deserved. And especially wary that like so many "released as subs" games it may go F2P within 9 months to a year.

[also this is a lesson we never seem to learn. I liken it to a person pretending to throw the ball for a dog...how many times until the dog not only figures out that the ball has not been thrown, but that the person still has it in their hand (that it isn't magically re-appearing either). That it is not just some honest mistake. But, that they are being tricked. At what point does the dog stop using his eyes and start using his nose to sniff out the deception?]

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Pretty close, although I assumed Wildstar would be #1
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    The only two games on my list of "must play" for 2014 are Elite: Dangerous and Super Street Fighter 4 Ultra Edition.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Warlords of DraenorReaper of SoulsDestiny
    i think he meant actual games releasing. not x-pacs
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

The more I play Elder Scrolls Online, the more I want to play Elder Scrolls Online

Repop and ArcheAge I will definitely check out however. The FFA/hardcore server ruleset for Repop looks damn inviting, and I've been following AA for years.

Even though EQN and Wildstar don't really look like my thing, I can say that the future for MMO's is looking pretty damn good.      And it's been a looooong time since I've been able to say that.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Margulis
    wow I'm surprised how few votes EQ is getting.

I don't intend (may change though) to play EQN:L.  I am not a fan of crafting and building.  Friends have been trying to get me to play Minecraft for ages but I dislike that style of gaming immensely.  If and when EQN:L adds in some combat then I may check it out.

As for EQN itself, this is the biggest game I am looking for without a doubt but I don't see it releasing till at least 2015 at the earliest.  As for what's on the list, if you'd ask me yesterday I would of voted ESO, begrudgingly but now it definitely is "the Repopulation".  Having a PvE Sandbox world is going to be huge.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by inemosz

i'm not a big fan of western mmos graphics, they're either too serious/dark or too cartoony

GW2 is the exception, i love the graphic and the art

i'm waiting for Black Desert, but i doubt i'll be released in 2014

therefore, it's Archeage for me

That's because GW2 is very JRPG like in graphics.  Both of the lead artists were heavily influenced by Asian Art styles.  While I didn't particularly like GW2's art style it wasn't terrible in your face like most Asian MMO's either.

As for Western Art, those things you mentioned are the exact reason why I like it more.  Well the Dark and Gritty part anyway.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by silverreign

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Warlords of Draenor

Reaper of Souls

Destiny

i think he meant actual games releasing. not x-pacs

He also said MMOs, which Diablo 3 isn't.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.