Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That Perfect Feature List

BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

Many people talk about that "Perfect" MMO they are waiting for, you know, the one that will be the "King" of MMO's and flat out destroy every MMO before it. There is an issue here though, devs seem to not know this exact "Recipe" of features to create that "Perfect" MMO. Most of the time, I'm not sure even we know what that recipe is.

So for the fun of it (and the fact I haven't seen any posts regarding this, at least recently) here is a list of features that I would like to see in an MMO.

Feel free to post your own list as well. I am just curious to see what others come up with for their "Perfect List".

Here is mine....

1. Massive world with no loading screens (Other than maybe going from continent to continent)

2. Free form Skill Leveling. Being able to train into anything you want on just one character. (Kind of like Runescape)

3. Action Combat, but with a ton of abilities to choose from. (Since it would be free form Leveling, a list of abilities for each combat thing you "Train" into)

4. Real-time Training. (Sorry EVE, but I enjoy physically working towards a goal rather than waiting)

5. A PvP area that matters. This doesn't have to be forced onto players (Kind of like Runescapes Wilderness)

6. Drop most items on Death, imo this makes PVE a much more engaging experience and the rewards that much greater.

7. Medieval/Fantasy Setting or simply just Star Wars...but with playable Wookies n such that start on their home world. (Sorry SWTOR, you missed the board entirely here..managed to make a Star Wars game without it feeling Star Wars(e)..at least imo)

8. Housing, because we can.

9. 3D, not trying to be super-realistic possibly closer to WoW graphics, but just a more "Detailed" approach.

10. Different Starting Areas and Races to choose from.

12. A server list where you can go server to server and every character is in the same "Existence" of a game. (Runescape style) 

13. Crafting creates some of the best gear and it requires that gear to get even better gear. Crafting being useful for all levels rather than just endgame. ( I guess Runescape hits this the closest again...) 

14. Minigames. Not just a simple side distraction but with some depth to it. (Runescape style.......I'm noticing a trend in my list)

15. Quests that feel more than just killing things. An actual story and massive difficulty curves on some of them. (Runescape Style, but with more "Depth/Serious Story" I suppose)

16. The most important part of this. Make a world where leveling isn't a linear quest grind. Where "Endgame" only exists for those that have put much dedication into the MMO. Where every level of content is kind of intertwined within the world (Worlds) so you have to figure out the best places to go.

TL:DR - It seems I want an MMO that combines the leveling/minigame/crafting system of Runescape, Combat of Wildstar, a bit of sandbox with more detailed WoW graphics placed into the Star Wars IP that has multiple races and starting areas. My body is ready.

(I didn't realize how much I just wanted a better Runescape)

Again, this is only for the fun of it.

(And for that ultimately small chance a Dev will accidentally click on MMORPG.com and then again on this thread while accidentally reading it, while thinking of spending Millions of dollars on a project that could likely fail. One can only hope.)

I could probably go on forever with this list, but I wont . I'm more than interested in hearing ideas from other people and finding out if I missed anything major on my own list that I would love to see.

- Have a good time and hope you are able to fully enjoy the MMO's we do have

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    You want what *Runescape 3 was supposed to be. I share your disappointment.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Nearly fully player economy centric.

Leisure classes eg: Entertainer

Only skill progressions, no levels

Massive open world/worlds

Able to tame creatures and use them as mounts

Many different classes that can overlap

Intuitive open world PVP

Player cities

NPC venders selling goods in player homes

Advertising player venders on world map

Doctors to give combat perks

Amazing world ambient sound effects

Weather effects eg: Sand storms

Chat bubbles

Player events/contests

Classy transportation systems

Variety of character looks/races/species

Able to have achievements in your bio

Insanely difficult raids

Bounty system

Able to decorate homes

Crafted items display crafters name

Stat based resources to increase chance of better stats on item

Encourage exploration

Able to PK randomly if someone is overt.

Able to get married ingame

World events

Rare mob spawns

Exotic/alien landscapes

Based on an excellent IP

Not a themepark

Not a WoW-clone

Players actually hang out and socialize instead of speeding to the top

Not a flawless game or without bugs, but a damn fine world to enjoy.

This list makes me drool, too bad it's too ambitious, unrealistic, and it isn't what the industry lusts for.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Shoko_Lied

Nearly fully player economy centric.

Leisure classes eg: Entertainer

Only skill progressions, no levels

Massive open world/worlds

Able to tame creatures and use them as mounts

Many different classes that can overlap

Intuitive open world PVP

Player cities

NPC venders selling goods in player homes

Advertising player venders on world map

Doctors to give combat perks

Amazing world ambient sound effects

Weather effects eg: Sand storms

Chat bubbles

Player events/contests

Classy transportation systems

Variety of character looks/races/species

Able to have achievements in your bio

Insanely difficult raids

Bounty system

Able to decorate homes

Crafted items display crafters name

Stat based resources to increase chance of better stats on item

Encourage exploration

Able to PK randomly if someone is overt.

Able to get married ingame

World events

Rare mob spawns

Exotic/alien landscapes

Based on an excellent IP

Not a themepark

Not a WoW-clone

Players actually hang out and socialize instead of speeding to the top

Not a game without bugs, but a damn fine world to enjoy.

This list makes me drool, too bad it's too ambitious, unrealistic, and it isn't what the industry lusts for.

I would look like hulk hogan. he would have throne in the middle of nowhere as my player owned area.

I would tame two rabbits and use them like roller skates. Of course daisy dukes and a propellor hat are a must. And, a gold bling belt with my characters name on it.

...His name would be buhbar the fantabulous. With the title and sub class of hermit.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

OP, have you tried Runescape?  

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

OP, have you tried Runescape?  

Yeah, it was one of my first MMOs a long time ago. Not sure I can really stand the current version though =/

Originally posted by Helleri
    You want what *Runescape 3 was supposed to be. I share your disappointment.

Yeah, tried Runescape 3 and is simply didn't feel "New" enough I guess. (Compared to the major change that was Runescape 1 to Runescape 2). Wish they would make an actual client version with a massive world and wasd, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Jagex kind of made it dig its own grave a while back.

• archaazarchaaz Member UncommonPosts: 11

Many of the features listed in the OP mirror my own desires. As a player of old school Ultima Online, I am looking for something that captures the feeling of that game, bit also builds upon it.

1. Massive, open sandbox  world; wholly seamless with no load screens or instances whatsoever, even for player housing. One massive server for all players.

2. Level-less, classless skill based system. A somewhat restrictive cap should be put on the total number of skill points a character can attain, so that a certain degree of specialization is required, and characters are not masters of all skills.

3. No quests, or rather only unscripted "quests" offered by other PCs. These would come in the form of natural interactions between players, buying and selling, perhaps assassinations, bounty hunting and the like. I do not think I will (can) play another MMORPG which features a linear quest-based system.

4. Full loot system, with no exceptions. Likewise, death should have consequences enough to give dying some meaning and encourage players to avoid it. 

5. No starter/newbie/tutorial zones, but certain areas, perhaps towns, which are safe, or at least relatively safe. I liked UO's system of insta-kil guards, but other systems could work as well. 

6. Must balance PvP with other systems such, that the game does not degenerate into just another hack fest. It should cater to various play styles and provide as many interconnected systems as possible, and not gravitate wholly, or even mostly, to one sort system of play style, thus providing a more dynamic game and encouraging player interaction and emergent behavior.  

7. Robust crafting system, with crafters making the best items. The economy should be player run.

8. I would prefer that humans be the only race. I had further prefer that humans are not broken down into various cultures, but rather allow players to form their own subgroups and such. 

9. The art need not be cutting edge, but should capture a certain aesthetic, be consistent and enhance the overall atmosphere of the game.

10. Genre is not terribly important. Could be Fantasy, Sci-Fi, a combination of both or something else entirely. As long sa it is interesting and the other criteria are met.

11. Basically give the players as many tools (skills, systems, etc.) as possible and to allow them a great degree of control of their actions and the ability to actually shape the destiny of the world.

Basically, a better, more elborate Ultima Online, with 3D graphics and an intuitive interface.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

I've probably done this before, but:

- No classes; players can purchase skills/spells with points and/or must earn them buy completing dungeons or quest chains.

- Crafting focus.  No crafting XP - players unlock branches of a tech tree by crafting outbuildings or appliances and tools that enable new techniques.  All crafting skills can be learned on the same character, and 70% of crafting is done for one's own use, 30% or less for trade.  Player-constructed housing/storage.

- Story and NPCs.  Setting something other than modern.  Should be relatively cheerful, no horror.

- NPC factions to build reputation with; factions actually have different philosophies and serve as a way to meet like-minded players.  NPCs also have individual reputation, and are courtable like in a dating sim.

- Combat has some kind of tactical or strategic element to it; no auto-combat.  Could be turn-based tactical, turn-based CCG, or realtime.  No pokemon-style or old Final Fantasy style.

- Solo friendly, no mandatory group activities.

- World marketplace; no player shops.

- PvP is either arena-style or consensual only

- Bonus points for pet or mount breeding and/or crop growing

I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

1. good instance scripting content

2. good lobby functions (LFD, LFR)

3. solo-friendly, no forced grouping

4. roll individual loot ... so no loot drama

5. good action combat system

6. unique interesting IP/setting

7. minimal & useful crafting (like that in marvel heroes)

8. difficulty slider (so no complaint of easy-mode or too difficult)

9. channel/cross-realm structure, so no artificial (like server) barrier for friends to play together

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

The king summoned the daughter and set her riddle: to come to him neither naked nor clothed, neither walking nor riding, neither on the road nor off it.

Just saying...

Flame on!

:)

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Mine can be best described by gameplay rather than features.

• Head off into an area where I've never been.
    • Find some interesting place to explore.
    • Find environment loot guarded by baddies.
    • Fight baddies, get loot
    • Find some heirloom item that's a breadcrumb to an NPC reward and maybe a bit of story
    • Sell loot, buy training and gear
    • repeat

Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

Mine can be best described by gameplay rather than features.

• Head off into an area where I've never been.
    • Find some interesting place to explore.
    • Find environment loot guarded by baddies.
    • Fight baddies, get loot
    • Find some heirloom item that's a breadcrumb to an NPC reward and maybe a bit of story
    • Sell loot, buy training and gear
    • repeat

Yes, it would be quite nice if a world felt truly large and mysterious. However the mechanics involved with this would be brutal and people would probably complain (But then again, when do they not). Also the technology to run such a massive world is probably lacking and would require many years of world building alone.

I guess the closest thing to this feeling is EVE or Rust imo. It just makes you consider the risks of exploring but also gives you the feeling that great wealth can be had for trying. To me that would be truly a great MMO. (Sadly I cannot get into that EVE combat...though it is surprisingly complex for seeming so simple, I guess it's just the overall feeling though)