Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: Landmark: Big Happenings in Norrath

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

There's a lot going on in the EverQuest universe during the next few months. From the original game's 15th anniversary to EQ2's latest updates, to Landmark's alpha launch and beyond, we caught up with the SOE team to talk about everything happening in Norrath.

Read on for all of Bill's EverQuest: Big Happenings in Norrath.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    hmm...did I mention I have a B-day between now and the end of the month....it'd be really great to go ahead and launch that alpha this week.....*hint hint*...*nudge nudge*
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i don't think SOEs approach with the EQL alpha is wrong, but i did find this funnily ironic. that paying to get into an alpha is the "more inclusive approach".

again, not a criticism of SOE just funny.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

Its great to see SOE finaly put out and show their marketing skills, thats something thats been lacking for both Eq1 as EQ2

Love the roundtable videos and the developer diaries, it gives us the right amount of info we need on their IP

keep up the good work SOE, love all your work

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Im glad they are hard at work on Landmark, but I would prefer they be hard at work on EQN itself. I do understand the appeal of Landmark, but not enough to pay for it AND EQ Next.

Just My 2 Lunars

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by aspekx

i don't think SOEs approach with the EQL alpha is wrong, but i did find this funnily ironic. that paying to get into an alpha is the "more inclusive approach".

again, not a criticism of SOE just funny.

They said they did that because they only wanted people in who really wanted to be part of the development team. This is Alpha and most of the game is not in yet. No combat, no real crafting yet. Personally I hope more companies do this. I would pay 20 bucks too get into a alpha of a game I really wana play. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by logan400k
    Im glad they are hard at work on Landmark, but I would prefer they be hard at work on EQN itself. I do understand the appeal of Landmark, but not enough to pay for it AND EQ Next.

Yeah, I would think they could of added a tier or made it part of the $100 to get access to both.

In the end though, like it or not, they are both going to be f2p.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Xthos

Yeah, I would think they could of added a tier or made it part of the $100 to get access to both. 

I am willing to bet there will still be subscriber perks, now that SOE is going with the approach of having one subscription get you "gold status" (or whatever the equivalent is in a given game) in every one of their games.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• KendaneKendane Member UncommonPosts: 225

Wait did he say the Plane of War was supposed to come out with Planes of Power and list it as a ways back? Didn't that xpac come out in like 2002?(Looks at Wikipedia) yeah that came out in 2002 which means.......there may be a dance studio in WoW yet, I mean the plane of war only took 11-12 years lol.

On another note, I really haven't been keeping up, but isn't Everquest Next Landmark pretty much just a Minecraft game? Like maybe the really cool designs get implemented into EverQuest Next proper? I know I heard something about blowing up the ground and finding hidden dungeons and such, was that Landmark or the actual MMO or both?

Originally posted by Kendane

Wait did he say the Plane of War was supposed to come out with Planes of Power and list it as a ways back? Didn't that xpac come out in like 2002?(Looks at Wikipedia) yeah that came out in 2002 which means.......there may be a dance studio in WoW yet, I mean the plane of war only took 11-12 years lol.

On another note, I really haven't been keeping up, but isn't Everquest Next Landmark pretty much just a Minecraft game? Like maybe the really cool designs get implemented into EverQuest Next proper? I know I heard something about blowing up the ground and finding hidden dungeons and such, was that Landmark or the actual MMO or both?

Yes.  At least in it's current state Landmark is basically Minecraft creative mode with decent graphics.  And there will periodically be contests where SOE wants something designed, and all the players can make their own versions, with SOE picking the winner and putting it in Next.  And both games feature destructable terrain leading into caves and such.

The Force shall free me.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Oooh myyyy god! I really dont care. Like seriously, not at all. Landmark was initially very interesting but now I'm over it, I dont care. I would really appreciate it if the released some substantial news on Next instead of Landmark.
  • Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Kendane

Yes.  At least in it's current state Landmark is basically Minecraft creative mode with decent graphics.  And there will periodically be contests where SOE wants something designed, and all the players can make their own versions, with SOE picking the winner and putting it in Next.  And both games feature destructable terrain leading into caves and such.

Not creative. Survival without monsters. You still have to gather your own materials.

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Covet78

Not creative. Survival without monsters. You still have to gather your own materials.

They just posted a video showing a monster in landmark.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

Yeah, what would the crafting of armor and weapons be for, if their was no monsters.  People don't seem to listen.  Landmark is guaranteed 1 class, may add more.  Abilities will be from crafted stuff, and their will be mobs.

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

Yeah, what would the crafting of armor and weapons be for, if their was no monsters.  People don't seem to listen.  Landmark is guaranteed 1 class, may add more.  Abilities will be from crafted stuff, and their will be mobs.

There will be mobs, eventually.  They said they won't be in Alpha.

The Force shall free me.

• Thessik_IrontailThessik_Irontail Member UncommonPosts: 76

While talking about the YEAR of Everquest, referring to 2014, he says Landmark will enter Alpha... um, how about beta, and release? Like if your describing the YEAR, release would be the bigger deal then alpha, unless of course they are not planning to release Landmark this year, which at this point would seem ridiculous as that would mean EQN the MMO is years and years away.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

so guys im confused.

I never played everquest franchise- that said...the graphics look amazing, but when i went to their site-i really didnt see any specific explnation if its an mmorpg or not- theyre comparing it to minecraft?...something iam not into.

so is this an mmo-say like wildstar?

and the date is so close to beta feb28th and it really hasnt been covered as much as wildstar.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by orbitxo

so guys im confused.

I never played everquest franchise- that said...the graphics look amazing, but when i went to their site-i really didnt see any specific explnation if its an mmorpg or not- theyre comparing it to minecraft?...something iam not into.

so is this an mmo-say like wildstar?

and the date is so close to beta feb28th and it really hasnt been covered as much as wildstar.

EverQuest Next: Landmark is a crafting and builder game.  People are comparing it to a beefed up Minecraft.  It is entering Alpha shortly, and for a $100 entrance fee you can participate in that.  Beta access has a fee as well, and is being offered at a reduced price.

EverQuest Next is slated for release in 2015, is still heavily in early development, and is more along the lines of the adventuring MMORPG that you are familiar with.  EQN:L will be testing a lot of the features that will be going into EQN, as well as allowing players to potentially have their creations be included in the EQN world.

The original EverQuest and EverQuest 2 are still very active games, and have a F2P model, so you could check those out if you wanted.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Yep you guys go ahead and pay that 100 bucks now....Wake me when EQN launches as a f2p in 3 years.