Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Alganon: A First Look at Rise of the Ourobani

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally slated for release in 2011, Alganon’s ‘Rise of the Ourobani’ expansion has been a long time coming. A number of circumstances affecting the development team delayed the expansion significantly. These issues ranged from datacenter relocations, to developer departures, and technical barriers getting in the way of expanding the game. Finally, Alganon fans can look forward to the expansion’s release on January 28th, and the team at Quest Online invited us to take a peek at the expansion and learn more about what players can expect to find when they get their hands on it later this month.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Alganon: A First Look at Rise of the Ourobani.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    This game is still alive?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I have to say I'm quite surprised this game is still open. Good to see them trying to make a comeback, hope the fixed some of the prices in the cashshop.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746
    not trying to be rude but, does anyone still play this?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by ste2000

If you log in, you'll actually see other players too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Alganon fans? What, all five that Derek Smart didn't drive away with his hostile demeanor? Seriously, he banned almost every single original supporter of this game from the forums less than a week after he took over.

Can't believe I paid $40 for this. Learned my lesson though, I've never preordered another MMO & I never will.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Slukjan

I think this guy is on to something. (sarcasm)

You, on the other hand...

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by lizardbones

/faint

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    was this the one that took wow clone to a new level making towns / zones with almost the same name with a few characters changed and then had the same skills with the same icon/name/effect?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by cnutemp
    was this the one that took wow clone to a new level making towns / zones with almost the same name with a few characters changed and then had the same skills with the same icon/name/effect?

You might be thinking of Allods Online, this game wasn't that good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Sooo shocking this game is managing to stay afloat. I remember getting into such big arguments with my brother about it being the only game to be a literal WoW clone. I mean the UI actually looked EXACTLY like WoW! I was so dumbfounded by the fact that they thought taking actual icons directly from WoW was a good idea. Never felt as good as WoW though so it was like playing WoW if it was developed by a bad company.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Ah yea that was it.  Allods, I remember picking a warrior and seeing a second wind skill that not only had the same icon as wow, but same effect and same percentage of healing.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Ah yea that was it.  Allods, I remember picking a warrior and seeing a second wind skill that not only had the same icon as wow, but same effect and same percentage of healing.

No, you had it right the first time. The original release of Alganon saw nearly identical spells and UI elements (including the keychain that had no use whatsoever, just a visual copy of WoW). Mind you, since that time they did a full UI revamp.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

This game really does look a lot like Wow. I watched some videos and really got that impression. Never really got that from Allods.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Yup, they even named continents to prominent WoW characters (named to some raid bossed), and i believe there was even a character in this game called Azeroth.

The looks where a one on one copy from WoW. Funny thing is if this was mentioned on their forum you had a massive amount of fan boys shouting it looked nothing like WoW. Even though on screenshots you saw the same skeleton warriors as you had them in WoW, with the same names even. They would also ban you from the forums for questioning this.

Now i don't mind they have the same art style, frankly it worked for WoW and i liked the art style. But don't go super defensive in denying it. Just say "Yeah we took inspiration from WoW". And its a bit hard to deny you copied WoW when many of the names are just stolen from the WoW lore. I suppose Blizzard didn't see any danger in it cause i never heard them sueing this game.

Anyway good to see all three players now get the expansion they been waiting for!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Good thing about having three players is you can double your player base by getting your in laws to play!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Is Serek Dmart still involved in this?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

That was exactly my first thought. LOL!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Allods is based on its own franchise of single player games called Rage of Mages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_of_Mages

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by lizardbones

That would be cool.  When I tried it was bugged, the NPCs kept vanishing, and never another player in sight.

I literally couldn't leave the starting area, so after zilch for support I uninstalled.  I really wanted to see the game.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Don't know, but there was a news story a while back of him working on another game (after Alganon).  I don't recall details.

Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

Don't know, but there was a news story a while back of him working on another game (after Alganon).  I don't recall details.

You're thinking of Line of Defense and Line of Defense: Tactics.  LoD:T was mentioned in an article on MMORPG.com recently.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by RealmLordsKen

Yep, he's still working on it. He's posted a few updates about it on his FB. Good to see it's still going. I know there are people who do genuinely enjoy playing it, so they get some new stuff to look forward to... and, as a gamer, that's always a good thing.