Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Magic Barrage: Old School, But Not Always Better for It

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Do you remember when games used to be hard? When most games were played on a console and were heart poundingly intense? Gameguyz, the makers of Magic Barrage clearly do. And they built the game to be a salute to what many people say was a better time in gaming. R2 Games remembers this time fondly as well and stepped forward as the publishers of this intense, some may even say manic shooter RPG. 

Read more of Shannon Doyle's Magic Barrage: Old School, But Not Always Better for It.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NecroneusNecroneus Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I think that today near to nothing is innovative.
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

Ok, hold on a minute. You're saying theres a game, from R2Games, thats not Pay2Win, and its not an auto-play click fest? Ok, I have to see this.....

Edit: Ok, went to play alittle. Didnt last, lol. Same old click to teleport everywhere. Auto fire, and auto targeting (Mouse can be on the other side of the screen, but the game readjusts your shooting to always hit the target). Sorry, I love the Realm of the Mad God throwback, but all the "modern" additions of autoplay really make it seem meaningless. The only challenge comes in the form of "bullet hell", and depending on your class, you have many ways to negate even that. 

Fun for an afternoon if you have nothing better to do, or feeling nastalgic, but other than that, I wouldnt spend any serious amount of time, or money, into this knockoff.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

This site has been 404ing and not loading for tons of people, check their forum for complaints.

I can't access the site let alone download the game, and have been waiting 2+ weeks for their site to work now.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    A game which has auto aim does not sound that old school to me, like the retro graphics though.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I wish some AAA developer would make an MMO with really good retro graphics. I think the amount of features they could add would just be insane.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

old games were hard usually because they had very little else going for them.  Some of the greatest games even during 8 bit era were easy when you knew what to do. 

remember cheat codes?  Sure, there's a few games that still have them, but back in the day they were much more common.  I guess old school gamers must have been cheaters, based on some logic I see.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by aslan132

Ok, hold on a minute. You're saying theres a game, from R2Games, thats not Pay2Win, and its not an auto-play click fest? Ok, I have to see this.....

I didn't even have to try it to know that was a load of shit.

• DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I was intrigued...until you said R2Games was involved
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    r2games hahahaha no thanks
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    I remember almost putting my controller through my TV the last time I played a Ninja Gaiden game (Sigma 2 I believe on the PS3)...I don't need games to be THAT hard.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    They also stole sprites and sounds from Realm of the Mad God.