Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wakfu: Kickstarter Launches to Fund English Animated Series

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ankama has announced that it has launched a Kickstarter program to bring a translated English language version of the Wakfu animated series to life. The original French version of the series launched in 2008 and has run for fifty-two episodes, with another three specials currently in production.

WAKFU’s adventure begins in Emelka, a small village lost in the woods. Yugo, a 12-year-old boy, lives in the village inn run by his adoptive father, Alibert. One day, Yugo discovers he has mysterious powers, an unexpected event that marks the beginning of a new life for him. Alibert tells him that he isn’t his real father and that he must leave on a quest to find his true family. Accompanied by his loyal companions, Yugo begins an epic adventure, during which he and his friends will discover that the fate of the entire World of Twelve rests on their shoulders.

You can read more about the campaign on the Wakfu: The Animated Series Kickstarter page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    honestly its looks to be a really good anime
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    It probably is good anime. But a Kickstarter!? Really??
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It's interesting to see so much more 2D animation being done with Flash over these last couple of years.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I wish they'd give the game more focus.... They are probably one of the laziest developer studios when it comes to updates, and for a game that heavily relies on subscriptions, that's not good. Players have been complaining about the utterly pointless gear grind (you literally end up out leveling gear in the process for grinding for it) forever now and they continue to ignore them.

Players are practically begging Ankama to pay more attention to the game and fix some of the issues it has because the player base has majorly suffered because of it. I mean, how do you convince a player who spends an hour grinding for a set of lvl 20 gear, which isn't rare at all, and ends up completely out-leveling it the gear in the process to stick with Wakfu?

How do you convince new players to stay when the grind is that bad? How?!

Smile

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Players are practically begging Ankama to pay more attention to the game and fix some of the issues it has because the player base has majorly suffered because of it. I mean, how do you convince a player who spends an hour grinding for a set of lvl 20 gear, which isn't rare at all, and ends up completely out-leveling it the gear in the process to stick with Wakfu?

How do you convince new players to stay when the grind is that bad? How?!

Smile

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    I've always wanted to watch this anime but do they really need kickstarter to do it?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I must be failing to see something. How is this an anime and not a cartoon if it's made in France and not Japan?
  • UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    They need funding even though their game is Pay to play?
  • TreciatusTreciatus Member Posts: 3

Shoko_Lied

I'm assuming you're referring to bbbb42's comment? I went back to check their Kickstarter page and in no place do they mention anime. Though it is technically the same thing, anime being the short for animation or cartoons in this case, I do agree that that term should only be used to refer cartoons from Japan.

Thankfully, they refer to it as "a French animated series", rather than anime.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

To me it seems like that first Episodes are already finished, since its showing alot of the progression. Now they are jsut trying to rip people off.

It like you build a car and have everything ready- but you go to kickstarter and tell people you want to build this car, thats why you need the money.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Really?

They should do English subtitles and be done with it. If there isn't a business case to do English voice overs in the first place (tv network support or something), then they shouldn't be going onto Kickstarter for it.

Especially as Ankama is filthy rich from the Dofus and Wakfu revenue (at it's prime Dofus had over 1.2 million subscribers).