Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Come back to the sandbox!

Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225

I'm speaking of Fallen Earth.  Now before you roll your eyes (I rolled my own a few days ago) let's start with the current serious negative.  All of G1's games have been hit hard by DDOS attacks the last few days.  It's annoying as anything but the rest of this post assumes that goes away. 

I played Fallen Earth when it first came out and it had sooo much potential.  Sadly the game was underfunded and under-manned and bugs didn't get squashed fast enough or at all.  I ended up wandering away and played many other games.  I'm currently waiting for ESO and praying each day for a Wildstar beta invite but in the meantime was looking for something new to play.  I could not find anything that really held my interest and decided to go back and look at Fallen Earth since it was one game I left for reasons other than being bored.

DDOS downtime aside I am so very happy I went back.  The game is far from perfect but it's such a fun sandbox.  For the first time in a long time I am oblivious to the passage of time.  I am so busy doing things in game that time just slips away. 

I'm not going to drone on and on and I have admitted it's not perfect BUT and I do mean BUT... it's F2P and the cash shop doesn't seem to have P2W items... some experience boosts, cosmetics, etc.  If you're looking for a sandbox to play in I suggest you give it a shot or a second look.  Far from perfect but I'm having so much fun... when it's not down for DDOS. 

Give it a shot, or not, but I think you may enjoy even if just for a little while.  I'm likely gone as soon as ESO launches but fun today is greater than fun tomorrow!

Comments

• Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225
    self-serving bumpage!
  • GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Good ass game.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    It's one of the few well made MMOs in the last 8 years, that haven't been tainted by WoW's design.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    FE is one of my all time favorites, but I wouldn't call it a sandbox. There's no terraforming = not a sandbox...at least for me.

Joined - July 2004

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    It's one of the few well made MMOs in the last 8 years, that haven't been tainted by WoW's design.

Let's not only mention WoW when a game resembles WoW, let's also mention WoW when a game has nothing to do with  WoW at all.

Are you working for Blizzard? :D

OT: How is population in Fallen Earth?

Is it still still 3 maps or have they expanded the territory?

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I remember my guild was one of the top guild then everyone quit.  Aim bot is the main reason.

Some of my guildmates would keep playing.  But you can't pvp with so many cheaters running around.

That being said, I dont' know why people call it a sandbox game.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I loved it at release despite the many bugs. Then they dumbed it down (I really didn't like how they got rid of weighted gear and made everything lvl locked). Then they started changing things left and right as if they didn't know what direction to take. Then G1 happened. Then the changes to F2P basically made the game either sub or it is crap. Especially considering how crafting works in this game.

So no thanks. For us (my friends who I usually play oline games with), Minecraft is all the sandbox we need. We can run our own server, mod it to our hearts content and do whatever we want. No frustating lockbox loot spam with overpriced keys either.

Fallen Earth started as an awesome idea on paper. I really hoped it would replace SWG for me back then. But then stuff happened :/

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I was never able to get into fallen earth because everything simply felt cheap and clunky.

Pretty much deterred me from ever trying again, but i only played the game shortly after It's release date.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    too clunky, unpolished, and unfinished to bother going back. Not even for free, sorry.

• booboofingerbooboofinger Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by someforumguy

I loved it at release despite the many bugs. Then they dumbed it down (I really didn't like how they got rid of weighted gear and made everything lvl locked). Then they started changing things left and right as if they didn't know what direction to take. Then G1 happened. Then the changes to F2P basically made the game either sub or it is crap. Especially considering how crafting works in this game.

So no thanks. For us (my friends who I usually play oline games with), Minecraft is all the sandbox we need. We can run our own server, mod it to our hearts content and do whatever we want. No frustating lockbox loot spam with overpriced keys either.

Fallen Earth started as an awesome idea on paper. I really hoped it would replace SWG for me back then. But then stuff happened :/

I couldn't agree more. I used to love this game until the famous build queue nerf and then I left.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money here and there on a game that I play. I think it's only fair, developers need to make a living, etc...

What I will not do, assume a commitment of having to shell out an amount monthly for any game. If I wanted to do that, there are plenty of games that I would be playing before FE.

Had they allowed us to buy build slots I probably would have stuck around. But they wanted me to subscribe to be able to have more. And in this game, if you can't build stuff, you might as well quit. And that I did.

So now I am spending my money on my own terms in another game. 

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Too many broken promises.  It was never the sandbox they claimed it would be.  More of a themepark with sandbox elements, and there are games that do that better.
  • Alec_StormAlec_Storm Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I played FE and enjoyed it despite some of its faults, I may check it out again since it's been 3 years since I've played .  I'm not into fantasy even though I've played several.  Good sci-fi mmos are few and far in between, sadly.  Those of us that love MMO's but hate elves, fairies & wizards don't have many options (Eve, Anarchy Online, Star Trek Online, Fallen Earth, SWtoR...think that about covers it, lol)..I'm looking forward to Wildstar but not holding my breath that it'll be worth the wait