Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Worst MMOs of 2013

12346»

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by jagd1
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

Also Dust was never promised to be an MMO, only to have connections through gameplay to an existing one, and definitely is a lobby shooter at its core so while the game is crap I don't understand why it's on the list.

Because CCP claimed it is massively multiplayer  ?  http://dust514.com/  what do you see there ?

DUST 514® – a massively multiplayer shooter

I dont get the logic that these people use to defend CCP  , and this is another while CCP says it massively multiplayer . Blame CCP  .

Idc what the site says it's not an MMO by any stretch of the imagination.  Defiance I'd consider and MMO shooter. Dust 514 doesn't have any persistence whatsoever outside of equipment and levels.  It would be like if this site had Warframe listed as an MMO.

Steam: Neph

• MaddOverlordMaddOverlord Member Posts: 12
    "10.) Wizardry Online

On paper, Wizardry Online is a hardcore player’s dream, so it took some time before we settled on it for this list over Dragon’s Prophet. But at the end of the day, Wizardry just doesn’t translate to a fun, well-designed game. It might get there but in 2013, Wizardry proved that good ideas can be soured by poor execution. A weird, unlocked camera made combat unwieldy and sometimes nauseating. Gold was arbitrarily difficult to obtain which made getting started or back on your feet more difficult. Translation issues make the dialogue feel stilted and unnatural. Wizardry is an MMO of false challenges and small niggles which add up to a mundane and ultimately disappointing experience."

1. Unable to learn how to control the camera angles during combat.
    2. Gold wasn't easy enough to come by for newbs or to get back on your feet (even though you couldn't get started with what you had to begin with).
    3. Bad translations
    4. False challenges
    Aside from issue #3, what I am hearing is that your primary objection with Wizardry Online was that a self-proclaimed-hardcore mmorpg was... "too difficult"?

Kind of a contradiction with your last point that it had "false challenges", considering that your first two complaints was that it was too hard to control your camera angles during fight sequences and that you couldn't accumulate gold fast enough to your liking.

WO had its fair share of bumps in the road and SOE / Gamepot did a poor job of ironing these issues out in their two betas.  Guilty as charged.  But to complain that a game is too difficult for a game that is meant to be "hardcore" is simply petty.

Translation issues are still a problem and while they have fixed many of those translation issues, I say give credit where credit is due.  With the most recent storyline dungeon released in the US (Sangent Ruins), it is very apparent that a creative writer was leveraged to do a better job in the translation.  Reading the storyline dialogue was so much better compared to prior dungeons.

If you're into hand holding and the next flashy graphics game, this game is not for you. But if you want a "challenge" give Wizardry Online a "genuine" try.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Phew!  Glad we didn't make the list! :)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    Phew!  Glad we didn't make the list! :)

haha ;) 

edit - just signed up to take a look.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Also Dust was never promised to be an MMO, only to have connections through gameplay to an existing one, and definitely is a lobby shooter at its core so while the game is crap I don't understand why it's on the list.

Because CCP claimed it is massively multiplayer ?  http://dust514.com/  what do you see there ?DUST 514® – a massively multiplayer shooter

Idc what the site says it's not an MMO by any stretch of the imagination.  Defiance I'd consider and MMO shooter. Dust 514 doesn't have any persistence whatsoever outside of equipment and levels.  It would be like if this site had Warframe listed as an MMO.

It is one of main problems for Dust being a lobby shooter , you are right  about that . But  you said  '' Also Dust was never promised to be an MMO ''  CCP still claim it is massively multiplayer  and it is what CCP promised to deliver  a MMOFPS and did not deliver , this is another problem  .But CCP promised a MMO

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by jogumby
    Given their recent ad on this site, it appears League of Angels aspires to be the Scarlet Blade of 2014!

Theres no room for shame in the ad revenue bucket.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Sigh... and yet Neverwinter, the game which took Dungeons and Dragons & dumbed it down for the kids who rode the short bus to school, is nowhere near this list. Guess being P2W and designed for the mentally handicapped, on top of having a completely broken & exploited economy is A-OK, so long as you know who to pay off, eh?

I wouldn't mind so much if it weren't going to be held up as the 'standard' for PC D&D games for the next few years. Craptic, and this site, should be ashamed of themselves.

seriously you should blame Wizards of the Coast not Cryptic or this site for the 4th edition rules that Neverwinter was designed with that is your complaint is it not that it was "dumbed down" sure cryptic may not be blameless either but Wizards of the coast made the dumbed down forth edition rules and had cryptic use them instead of the 3rd and 3.5 rules most of the previous single player games and DDO used.

Weather Neverwinter is good or bad the foundry was a good step in the right direction I'd say.

• battlewagonbattlewagon Member UncommonPosts: 17

I agree with you.  I haven't heard about most of these.  But considering how saturated the MMO field is with bad games I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.  It is hard to keep up with an industry that seems so hell bent of pumping out a new game every month.

I can remember being on this website and the list of active MMOs barely filled the screen.  Now days the list just seems to go on forever.  And the vast majority of those are free to play with a heavy dose of buy gear if you want a fighting chance.

In otherwords those games are easy to burn out on, are very similar to other FTP games, and are quickly forgotten.

Over the years I have beta tested a number of games.  I have tested so many that I can't even remember them all.  But if you were to ask me to name as many as I could, odds are the list would be of games that had some measure of success.  The games I tested and knew would flop ... I don't remember as well.

But the point is that they are bad for a number of reasons.  Whether it is due to bad camera angles, bad combat, bad economy, bad story, bad graphics, or bad of everything listed above.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond
    Originally posted by jogumby
    Given their recent ad on this site, it appears League of Angels aspires to be the Scarlet Blade of 2014!

Theres no room for shame in the ad revenue bucket.

QFT.

Why upset a paid advertiser, when you can pick 10 random games no one has ever heard of....

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    It serves CCP right, who in their right mind produces a FPS mmo in the first place, they HAVE the World of Darkness IP and basically killed that project a guaranteed box sales cash cow, so they could produce DUST. Thats ok CCP no one would have played Vampire the Masquerade online I am sure you made the right decision. Morons. 

Odd...never saw in any of the material CCP even claiming it was going into the direction of FPS with a fully featured mmo as we play it and know it. If you want to take it a bit further game players of Dust saw it in two versions: (1) if you played EvE it was an expansion of the EvE universe and you didn't like as a FPS or you were a FPS player on the PS3 and saw this as one of the only remaining FPS games on the PS3 in general that had potential after MAG and Resistance 2 but wasn't built around smaller parties like Unchartered.

Frankly its inclusion was puzzling as it was expected to generate some additional players from the EvE universe but mostly from the PS3 and, worse case scenario, you killed a few mb's on your hard drive to download a free game. So both its inclusion on this list is a huge mystery and your post as well as tons of others Sleepyfish horribly moronic. I've seen only a few posts to even get to the heart of the matter that Dust514 was never an mmo FPS. 

On a side note as its inclusion on the list is a mystery and I feel the story author really doesn't get it from the PS3 and  EvE (yes I've played both) I'd also list another point: the graphics on the players end are usually dumbed down for FPS which is really contrary to an mmo. You really  can live with not having all of this debris, elements and w/e crap from making it harder to see the distance or failing to not notice. And its really quite common that even after they updated the whole graphics and appearance of the game for groves of players to still tweak it to less stunning visuals for that purpose. 

MAG on the PS3 had huge similarities with the exception of the aurum which was brought by r/l cash. It didn't so much give you exclusive gear no one else could get but rather increase exp or allow you to wear gear earlier. 

Because CCP claimed it is massively multiplayer ?  http://dust514.com/  what do you see there ?DUST 514® – a massively multiplayer shooter

It is one of main problems for Dust being a lobby shooter , you are right  about that . But  you said  '' Also Dust was never promised to be an MMO ''  CCP still claim it is massively multiplayer  and it is what CCP promised to deliver  a MMOFPS and did not deliver , this is another problem  .But CCP promised a MMO

And for the record MAG was closer to being an "mmo-fps"..oh wait the fact that you can play with a large pool of players that constantly change on a singular server also means that any FPS shooter to date is also an MMO. I think we need to put a wedge between the fact that playing in a single universe when you get 24vs24 i still child's play when you got 128 vs 128 on MAG and even 32 vs 32 on Resistance 2. It's technically a massively multiplayer shooter but it isn't an MMOFPSRPG and isn't the biggest MMOFPS game on the PS3. If we're really going to nitpick here then how about we call Zynga's Farmville an MMO because by that standard its massive, multiplayer to a degree and online.

If we really want to keep it realistic terms, then how about we stick with the MMORPG's and not stick anything that can be simply massive because its online and that's it as an MMO because that just opens up the whole facebook universe of games as well we should be putting here.