Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: A PvE Mini-Review of Update 2.1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Final Fantasy XIV added content update 2.1, A Realm Awakened, in December 2013.  With a month to experience the content, Ryahl provides a review of the end-game PVE content expansions offered in this update.  Come along for the ride and read about the good and awkward parts of this massive update.

Read more of Ryahl Smith's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - A PvE Mini-Review of Update 2.1.

Fear Me Kupo!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 630

Ryahl, I understand the dislike of the Duty Roulette but it's absolutely essential for new players or players who have re-rolled on a server and are in a small guild or who play "off-hours".

Especially for a game like FFXIV that makes it MANDATORY to do dungeons to progress the main storyline along (one of my biggest complaints of FFXIV).

Even then it takes an average of 30 minutes to fill a Light Party, thankfully you can level up another class while waiting!

• RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47

I would probably feel completely different about Roulette if you could queue as a partial group and still get the rewards.  I understand the importance of Duty FInder tools and generally appreciate their inclusion.  What specifically bothers me about the Roulette is that it outright insists that you not play with friends.  We're moving past facilitating group opportunities for off-hour and small-guilds with that mechanic.

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

So basically there's a decent amount of stuff to do and the largest gap in endgame hierarchy from 2.0 has been filled by the new instances and CT. Yet it's not a patch without shortcomings, whether it be due to lack of dev time or design oversights in either case it's not a perfect patch and some meta-game issues remain to be solved for a more coherent experience.

I guess it is sad to say but the most important thing is that this game is actually receiving dev support and seems to continue to do so in the future. This is a luxury in MMO scene nowadays. But in the end all the more reason to play this game over anything else on the market. Unless you can find yourself an ever evolving MMO that implements perfect content and balance patches.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • RyahlRyahl Member Posts: 47
    Patch 2.1 was, any way you slice it, a very well-done piece of content.

Ryahl - writer of eye-bleeders
    FFXIV Fansite | TSWGuides
    Follow me on Twitter

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Resubbed, finished it up in about 4 or 5 days and I'm done again. Little boring but the content was definitely cool.
  • lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by spidii
    Resubbed, finished it up in about 4 or 5 days and I'm done again. Little boring but the content was definitely cool.

what do you mean by finished?

you finished them all once? or got all of the iLv 90 gears & accessories?

i'm on the verge of resubbing tbh

• FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Member Posts: 148

A single tank and a single healer class is the reason for this Roulette silliness...

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by inemosz
    Originally posted by spidii

what do you mean by finished?

you finished them all once? or got all of the iLv 90 gears & accessories?

i'm on the verge of resubbing tbh

I'm assuming he just finished the content. You don't need to get full BiS gear to say you're done with the content as the gear itself isn't really content. Also, he could have already had full ilvl 90 gear being that BC 1-5 was in at launch. 

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

With the exception of Amdapor, ifrit HM and Wanderers, i haven't done any of the PVE content yet. Spent four months levelling the different disciple of the land and disciple of the hand classes. With only fisherman and culinarian left now.

I'll focus a bit more on the PVE when i'm done with those.

There's one problem though: there's a big gap in difficulty between ifrit and garuda HM. Pugs can manage ifrit HM just fine, but starting Garuda, it's a whole other story. I'll have to ask the lads in the FC if they can help me with the rest of the relic content :)

Liking the game so far. Haven't been subbed to an mmo for so long for a long time. I hope they keep the updates coming so i always have something to look forward to.

So far it looks good.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This is suuuch a beautiful game. Feels so wasted focusing on nothing but end game gear grinds. It's really disappointing. I lost all ambition to keep playing after I realized that's all the game was. I still have a sub until like april though lol.