Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Cartel Market Makes 139 Million USD in 2013

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Data from some players - multiplied by some number that matches total players worldwide.

Now they talk about working with publishers but EA made it clear they don't give out the data when Neilsen came out with some numbers.

So its their guess - which is fine. It would be good if they said what the margin of error was of course.

If you assume it is accurate then last year SWTOR generated c. 20% of EA's F2P revenue. And as their data also tells them that it is substantially a subscription game then it must have had at least $139M in sub revenue. At least.

So 750k subs on average through last year.

And combining the two means it made more money than what EA had targeted in SWTORs first year. (extrapolating what EA's then CEO JR said post launch).  Were are the Makeb size content drops every 4-6 weeks; were are the dancing girls.

Maybe its a guess.  The number of subs isn't for sure based on what EA actually reported.

If someone had said this was based on XFire data then there would have been uproar about how inaccurate it was. I never thought that but I always recognised that iXFire was nothing more than a guess with big margins of error. This data should be treated no differently.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Data from some players - multiplied by some number that matches total players worldwide.

Now they talk about working with publishers but EA made it clear they don't give out the data when Neilsen came out with some numbers.

So its their guess - which is fine. It would be good if they said what the margin of error was of course.

If you assume it is accurate then last year SWTOR generated c. 20% of EA's F2P revenue. And as their data also tells them that it is substantially a subscription game then it must have had at least $139M in sub revenue. At least.

So 750k subs on average through last year.

And combining the two means it made more money than what EA had targeted in SWTORs first year. (extrapolating what EA's then CEO JR said post launch).  Were are the Makeb size content drops every 4-6 weeks; were are the dancing girls.

Maybe its a guess.  The number of subs isn't for sure based on what EA actually reported.

If someone had said this was based on XFire data then there would have been uproar about how inaccurate it was. I never thought that but I always recognised that iXFire was nothing more than a guess with big margins of error. This data should be treated no differently.

How do Xfire's numbers account for a large margin of error? Their numbers are the actual number of players or hours logged on that game from people with the client installed. If you were to say population sizes calculated by Xfire data then you would be right.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    EA themselves lists SWTOR and TWO FIFA games together in their last quarterly report as having the earnings on this chart. Not just SWTOR, all three games.

Did you miss the "gets data directly from publishers" part? LOL 

Sniped my post for what YOU clearly missed.

EA is telling their OWN investors the lie then? Fanboys, see what they want to see if they think that a company is going to give an outside service real information while telling their own investors AND the FCC something else.

BTW, lying to the FCC would have serious consequences. Reality, it isn't your thing.

Where is the lie again?

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

These numbers are unofficial estimates based on a flawed methodology.  That's just a fact, accept it or don't doesn't matter to me.  Clearly it indicates an inflated number, but truthfully we could accept the possibility that the numbers are higher.

However, this doesn't pass the smell test.  Not even remotely.  Even if the game had 500k active players, which is a stretch, it puts the amount spent per year at 278 dollars as an average.   The implications of which are simply the stuff of fantasy.  It's preposterous to even entertain that as a possibility, and if you don't agree we simply have no grounds on which to discuss the issue further.

What's most likely is that they took the average spent per player who participated in their data, which would likely be mostly people who paid, not freebies, and then looked up EA's most recent estimate of active players, which is a number they could just pull out of their ass because it's a f2p game and anyone with a username and password can be counted, and used simple multiplication to come up with a number that's like 100x bigger than reality.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Gamer79

So after reading some of these comments it's clear haters of this game are in major desperation mode.  

There are a few of accusing EA of lying to investors or shareholders, which is a felony of course they have zero proof of this.  

Then they  turn around and try to explain how Swtor is actually doing again with zero facts, links or information to back anything up.   

If your going to accuse a company of a felony to save a game you hate and you have some blind impression it's failing then at least try and post a link to back it up.  When you don't all you do is worsen the haters already depleted credabilty.   

To sum it up your defense is you can't trust EA/bio but we are supposed to trust a person who Hates a Video Game!  

Maybe they can't find links to EALouse's pre-release post anymore.  Because remember, it isn't about how the game is doing now, it's about how it was doing before the cash shop was added.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Gamer79
    Originally posted by adam_nox

These numbers are unofficial estimates based on a flawed methodology.  That's just a fact, accept it or don't doesn't matter to me.  Clearly it indicates an inflated number, but truthfully we could accept the possibility that the numbers are higher.

However, this doesn't pass the smell test.  Not even remotely.  Even if the game had 500k active players, which is a stretch, it puts the amount spent per year at 278 dollars as an average.   The implications of which are simply the stuff of fantasy.  It's preposterous to even entertain that as a possibility, and if you don't agree we simply have no grounds on which to discuss the issue further.

What's most likely is that they took the average spent per player who participated in their data, which would likely be mostly people who paid, not freebies, and then looked up EA's most recent estimate of active players, which is a number they could just pull out of their ass because it's a f2p game and anyone with a username and password can be counted, and used simple multiplication to come up with a number that's like 100x bigger than reality.

And just to make sure you are not living in some fantasy world full of video game hate you have some links, facts to back up your fairy tale story right?

You mean passing grade school maths?

http://cnx.org/content/m32627/1.4/

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

What if I told you they are making an additional $90M a year on subscriptions from box sales and that shows that there are many, many people who are very happy with the game and while some of that could be attributed to mind control on the part of EA, the majority of it would have to be attributed to the perceived quality of the game on the part of the game's players? 

*gasp*

I know, right?

I find myself in an odd position in threads like this.  On the one hand, I don't particularly like SWToR.  I don't think it's a very good game.  However, looking at the world that exists outside my head, there are a LOT of people playing the game.  It obviously offers something that players want, such that they would rather play SWToR than whatever else they can do.  I also find their F2P system restrictive.  Not so much that if I found the game fun to play it would cause me to stop playing, but I can see how only 2 action slot bars is a pretty blatant attempt at getting everyone who plays the game to spend $5.  This isn't wrong, mind you, but it does seem a bit heavy handed.  Running parallel to this thought is that, again, a LOT of people are playing the game, and apparently a LOT of people are giving money to SWToR.  It must be providing value to those players such that they aren't playing other games or engaging in other activities and spending money elsewhere.  Their F2P model works, and works well. 

So the position I find myself in is that I really don't like the game, but I'm in the position of a game defender because the people who say the game is bad, is crashing or is somehow going to corrupt the genre just don't make sense.  If someone says they don't like the game, and they have a list of reasons, that makes sense.  To say the game is objectively bad when it so obviously serves the wants of so many consumers does not make sense.  I've been posting a picture of a dog wearing a tie on a computer with the caption, "I have no idea what I am doing" and I think this is why.  I feel compelled to defend a game I don't like because the arguments being used are so bad.

Also, I have a golden retriever and she often doesn't look like she knows what she's doing, or why she's doing it so I find the picture amusing.

This is pretty much my view, the game is boring to me, but it seems to be making money now despite crashing badly at launch.

Personally I don't have a beef with the F2P system, if you aren't willing to put in $5 to a game after you have played to level 15 (approx where you need more than 2 bars) then you get no sympathy from me, you are a cheapskate and deserve a substandard experience. If you do like it then $20 odd on a few unlocks will give you a decent amount of options. If you are still playing and want more raids and PvP matches than you are given for free then you can buy a pass or subscribe. Personally I would rather see that than a game where a few whales keep it totally free for others and get a big advantage for doing so.

Huh?  You think you have more than 24 skills at level 15?  On my 55 smuggler I have maybe 5 skills that don't fit on my 2 main bars.  My latest character is an Agent at level 35 and he has space on both bars still.  You can buy a quickbar unlock on the GTN for around 100k which you'll be able to afford by the time you'd need it.  Of course, if you like the game enough to get into your 40s then I don't think spending $5 is unreasonable.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Even if JESUS himself appears and tell him that he still won't believe it.

Denial keeps the hate alive.

Volumes, they have been spoken.

And yet you are in denial.

No appearance by Thor, Cthulhu or the spaghetti monster will change the idea that EAs own revenue report is worth less than that of an independent company that uses averages to come to conclusions. Their reports are skewed enough to hide the truth as it is.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

EA themselves lists SWTOR and TWO FIFA games together in their last quarterly report as having the earnings on this chart. Not just SWTOR, all three games.

EA is telling their OWN investors the lie then? Fanboys, see what they want to see if they think that a company is going to give an outside service real information while telling their own investors AND the FCC something else.

BTW, lying to the FCC would have serious consequences. Reality, it isn't your thing.

Where is the lie again?

You tell me, EA listed 2 other games with SWTOR as having earned that amount, the outside source that uses averages to obtain numbers is stating it was just SWTOR. Only one can be right, or both wrong...........both cannot be right.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

Originally posted by adam_nox

The game has well more than 500k active players, it's over 1 million unique active players and over 10 million accounts as revealed by one of the devs at a recent Cantina tour event.  I recently counted most of the players on my server and estimated that that sunday afternoon there were approx 100k people online concurrently across 17 servers.

EDIT:  The statement from Eric was "over 10 million play occasionally, while over 1 million play per month"

Where is the lie again?

You tell me, EA listed 2 other games with SWTOR as having earned that amount, the outside source that uses averages to obtain numbers is stating it was just SWTOR. Only one can be right, or both wrong...........both cannot be right.

They haven't even posted numbers for FY14 Q3 yet (Oct-Dec 2013).  Are you talking about Q2 numbers which are only for July, Aug and Sept?

They haven't even posted numbers for FY14 Q3 yet (Oct-Dec 2013).  Are you talking about Q2 numbers which are only for July, Aug and Sept?

Ugh, Q2 is not July, Aug and Sept. That is Q3, and yes. Q3 lists all three games at that revenue point. And no, SWTOR did not see such a dramatic increase in revenue that it suddenly made the same amount as the 2 FIFA games which were top sellers, with the Online version being massively popular in the digital sales department so much so they mentioned it in the Q2 report on its own.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    superdata uses calendar year not the companies fiscal year to post it's numbers. It makes it easier to compare multiple companies when all numbers are within the same time span.

Ugh, Q2 is not July, Aug and Sept. That is Q3, and yes. Q3 lists all three games at that revenue point. And no, SWTOR did not see such a dramatic increase in revenue that it suddenly made the same amount as the 2 FIFA games which were top sellers, with the Online version being massively popular in the digital sales department so much so they mentioned it in the Q2 report on its own.

No, you have no clue what you're talking about.  EA's fiscal year runs from April to March, not Jan to Dec.  The reports they give are for 3 months at a time, not for year to date.  The last report they gave was for Q2 FY14 Financial Results which, as it says in the report contains "financial results for its second fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2013."  The report for the 3rd quarter will be at the end of the month and will be for Oct, Nov and Dec.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Im absolutely pro sub model. But I'm against to pay for something with sub model. Have happend from time to time, but very, very rarely. With so called free games at the end one pays more to be able to decently play then would for sub. And not to mention quality of sub games is tenfold of free. Big exception is Gw2, but it is not free. 
  • bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

why does SWTOR's success offend you?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Even if JESUS himself appears and tell him that he still won't believe it.

Denial keeps the hate alive.

Volumes, they have been spoken.

And yet you are in denial.

No appearance by Thor, Cthulhu or the spaghetti monster will change the idea that EAs own revenue report is worth less than that of an independent company that uses averages to come to conclusions. Their reports are skewed enough to hide the truth as it is.

And we should just take your word for it...right? image

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    So this means we can get more class stories right? Looks like they have the money for it.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

The grasping at numbers has gotten silly. If you want to read EA earnings report go to http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/2911265146x0x701115/ae249d1a-3e9e-48fe-b6b4-ddd979f230d0/Q2FY14_EarningsSlides.pdf

EA's extra content which is what we are discussing was $127 million for the quarter and $713 million for the trailing 12 months. The SWToR being $139 million for the trailing 12 months makes up a little less than 19.5%. We just did not know the percentage before. The revenue is easily there to cover the number.

Edit: The subs number was $62 million for the quarter with $393 million for the trailing 12 months. What percentage is SWToR is what we do not know.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

There's a lawsuit against EA for toying with investers on the BF4 launch and "success", BF4 is rapidly losing active players so things needs to get fixed with that game quickly.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    A fool and his money...
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Great news for SWTOR :)

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Not if they hope to retain a shred of credability anyway....

Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

Well you can see it that way if you want I guess, but it's more like someone who hates the game regardless of how much money EA/Bioware makes from it.

What if I told you they are making an additional $90M a year on subscriptions from box sales and that shows that there are many, many people who are very happy with the game and while some of that could be attributed to mind control on the part of EA, the majority of it would have to be attributed to the perceived quality of the game on the part of the game's players?

I don't think the argument that the ability to sell this particular product equates to it being a great MMORPG. There is no other Star Wars game to play, the comparisons to other games are never really weighed for long in discussions, because for some strange reason the proponents of SWTOR always go back to the revenue card. Yes, yes, I'm in a minority and therefore my views are garbage, I have heard that before. But in the end they can make this the official game of the planet earth and it still is the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG I have ever seen, and has the Star Wars IP hostage to boot.

I'm not going to blame the fans who buy this game for its crappiness, that is 100% design and ongoing implementation. Last time I checked they listen to fuck all of what even their subscribed fans want, and those people probably just want to play a Star Wars MMO.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by ohcomeonnow

So because you think the game is crap and you think the only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage" that everyone who enjoys it...sorry i mean they dont enjoy but spend hours and hours on it because its being held hostage should stop playing because you say so?  

Kind of frightening to see how people think some times huh ?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by ohcomeonnow

So because you think the game is crap and you think the only reason people play it is because they are "holding the SW IP hostage" that everyone who enjoys it...sorry i mean they dont enjoy but spend hours and hours on it because its being held hostage should stop playing because you say so?  

Kind of frightening to see how people think some times huh ?

Yes it is, especially when people misconstrue what you write, inserting absolutes and generalizations. As for the part about the IP, when do you think another SW MMO will come out? Doesn't Bioware hold that license for like the next 10 years ?

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

Great news for SWTOR :)

I'm barely playing it any more in between SWG Emu and a few other games but it;s nice to see a good news story, particularly concerning the financials.

Of course, the usual bitter and butt hurt haters will continue to hate the game and thats fine, however at least nobody, not even on THESE forums can continue to say the game is not a financial success....

Not if they hope to retain a shred of credability anyway....

Driz

Yeah I'd say its time for them to just accept that the game is doing well and move on. I'm not sure which news hit them the hardest: EA being named sole maker of future Star Wars games or this latest earnings report.Clearly TOR has recovered after it's rocky first year and the future is bright.

The financial success equals game is acceptable has never held water. It's a bad MMO, and it's really just moving toward a lobby PVP game with each new add-on. It takes 20 seconds to write this, just as it would to post "I love doing the same stupid dailies with my cleft-palate Ewok mistress sidekick" so spare me the junior psychologist diagnosis.

Anything to add that isn't based on a personal opinion?

Because this really looks like an example of someone being angry because the game is doing well.

Well you can see it that way if you want I guess, but it's more like someone who hates the game regardless of how much money EA/Bioware makes from it.

I don't think the argument that the ability to sell this particular product equates to it being a great MMORPG. There is no other Star Wars game to play, the comparisons to other games are never really weighed for long in discussions, because for some strange reason the proponents of SWTOR always go back to the revenue card. Yes, yes, I'm in a minority and therefore my views are garbage, I have heard that before. But in the end they can make this the official game of the planet earth and it still is the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG I have ever seen, and has the Star Wars IP hostage to boot.

I'm not going to blame the fans who buy this game for its crappiness, that is 100% design and ongoing implementation. Last time I checked they listen to fuck all of what even their subscribed fans want, and those people probably just want to play a Star Wars MMO.

Do you have anything other than your opinion of the game to support your assertion that it is a bad game?  Not a game that you don't like, but an objectively bad game?  I mean, we have a million people who like the game.  Whatever else is going on, there are a million people playing the game who could be doing something else.  They don't have to play the game.  Nobody is forcing them to play the game.  They are choosing to play the game.

Your views are not garbage, but they don't make sense.  A million people would not be playing the weakest attempt at a AAA MMORPG.  People don't play games that bad.  Not for long, anyway.  They would not be playing just because of the Star Wars IP either.  If that were the case many more people would have been playing SWG.  The only reason for people to play a game that they don't have to play, when they could play something else or do something else is because they want to play the game.  The game cannot be as bad as you purport it to be because such a game could not have as many players as SWToR has.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.