Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game of Thrones - Sandbox PVP MMO

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
Who thinks this would be frigging grand idea ?

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

If it was done correctly it would be .

Chances are it would be something thrown together and half assed to cash in on the GOT craze.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Chances are it would be something thrown together and half assed to cash in on the GOT craze.

Agreed. With the hype for the TV show going on nowadays I'm a little surprised someone hasn't tried to jump on it for an MMO idea yet.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by collekt

Agreed. With the hype for the TV show going on nowadays I'm a little surprised someone hasn't tried to jump on it for an MMO idea yet.

...image

http://www.gameofthronesmmo.com/

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    please lets not. that can only mess it up. i cannot see this succeed.
  • collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

...image

Maybe I spoke too soon haha.. although that's just a browser based game. I'm still surprised there isn't a big triple A title in the making, with the popularity of the IP.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

...image

Hint: It's a pure garbage cash grab.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I don't actually. And I'm a HUGE fan of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

What makes the series great is the depth and complexity of the relationship and dialogues between the characters. As well as the history of the entire world.

I see no way at all to reproduce that effect in the MMO scene and certainly not within an existing, established franchise.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    eh. I dont think any game based on an existing ip is a good idea anymore

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Lots of material to work with. On the other hand a company  could also just try and cash in on the name. 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    A game with the current setting would be better suited for a single player game. A historical take on Westeros could work.though, set in the Age of Heroes.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Ah come on

Playing as part of family factions , but still never being able to trust nobody. Land and influence control.

Magic very rare , and game being mostly low fantasy  - medieval historical.

Determining which faction will rule trough conspiracies and war.

And last but not least , PVE trough white walkers.

I see this being easily a medieval contender to EVE

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Ah come on

Playing as part of family factions , but still never being able to trust nobody. Land and influence control.

Magic very rare , and game being mostly low fantasy  - medieval historical.

Determining which faction will rule trough conspiracies and war.

And last but not least , PVE trough white walkers.

I see this being easily a medieval contender to EVE

While something like this would be great on say a Mount and Blade style of game... how exactly do you translate that into multiplayer game let alone a MMORPG.  Seems like a logistical knightmare.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

They'd never do justice to the books & TV series, not in a million years.   It would be some shallow fantasy game with a molecule-thick veneer of Game of Thrones, so I hope it never, ever happens.    

Anyway, if you can't be Tyrion what point is there?  ;)

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Game of Thrones would make a terrible MMO. No company would be able to do it right.

Why? Because Game of Thrones, while I do enjoy the show, is nothing more than a male version of General Hospital and All My Children. It's a medieval soap opera...filled with conspiracy, deceit, sex, and treachery. MMOs aren't currently capable of this.

If it did want a shot, it would have to be a full blown SWG-like game, where players could create shops, erect full player cities with tax, conquer other player cities, etc etc etc...

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Another "Sandbox Amnesia" thread.

Politics/map control based fantasy/medieval MMORPG have been done before. I won't mention names since the last time I did I got a warning from mods.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I'm perSonally not a big fan of pvp. Not as hater but I like to pick and choose when I do it do sandbox PvP I don't often do.

That being said you could not have s game of thrones game without it.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Given how many years it takes to make a quality mmo, or even a mediocre mmo for that matter,  I'm not certain the show would be at the same hype level it is now.  Kinda like what happened to that Matrix mmo.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Damn, I hoped this is real. Too bad.

Well don't expect any big developer to do something like that, need to always cater to their casual carebear safemode audience.

No sandbox for you, buddy!

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Sephros

Exactly right... You have contracts, usually some kind of content oversight, and royalties.

The next crop of games ESO, Wildstar, The Repopulation (to name a few) are all independent and are have no ties to any IP restrictions.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

The only way to make a respectable MMO in an established third party IP is by using the setting, but going far enough into either the past or the future to give the development team creative freedom.  Star Wars MMO set during the movies?  Terrible idea.  Lord of the Rings MMO set during/between the books/movies?  Terrible idea.  Game of Thrones MMO set during the Song of Ice and Fire?  Terrible idea.

Just my opinion, of course.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

How I would see an AAA publisher screwing this over out the gate in funding development:

- Wargs, giants, assassins that can change their skin, and dragonborns would all become playable races for standard character creation.

- You will fight mostly white walkers "beyond the wall" as an instanced dungeon by the end-game (the walls of which they will hide with fog and disguise as tree picture backgrounds, and pretend it's outside).

- Dragons will still be "on the way" and when they arrive they will be disappointing.

- Joffrey's cross bow will be a cash shop item.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Sephros
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I don't actually. And I'm a HUGE fan of "A Song of Ice and Fire".

What makes the series great is the depth and complexity of the relationship and dialogues between the characters. As well as the history of the entire world.

I see no way at all to reproduce that effect in the MMO scene and certainly not within an existing, established franchise.

What these two said pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter.

So no, I don't think it'd be such a good idea; since it would pretty much wind up as a shallow money grab that's missing all the things that made GoT great to begin with.

Telltales' GoT game will probably do a far better job at it than any MMO ever could (even if I'm not particularly happy about that company's lack of key remapping, which screws over everyone with an EU keyboard).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

you cannot do justice to the IP with making an MMO, it's impossible

if you must make it a game type, an RTS (or a turn based strategy game) would be the best way to go

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    If it were done how would Clans/orgs/corps work. Would it be more of each faction is essentially a clan. No smaller corps ect. Or could essentially the clan system work lore wise like a commander in charge of his company/platoon/squad. Limited in size.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Have the posters wanting this actually read the books or even watched the TV show?

There is very LITTLE fighting. There are NO dungeons. There are NO Boss monsters, except maybe 3 dragons.

What happens in this IP is not physical combat, but intrigue, political maneuvering, and backstabbing using hired killers. THIS is what makes the IP great, not some action combat oriented video game many of you desire.

I get that you want to "play in Westeros." I'd love to, also. But think about what you're asking for. If they made a VIDEO GAME of this, would it BE Westeros as we know and love it? No. It would be Azeroth with a different skin.

This is the way most "Wouldn't <insert beloved IP here> be a great MMO?" posts go. What people love about any particular IP hardly ever translate well into an MMO setting. The best bets are IPs from video games already.

Let me ask, What do *you* wish to do in this IP?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR