Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Changing What It Means to Create & Play an MMO

Comments

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I think they're taking a fairly big risk with this "OMG just wait and see you will be getting everything you wanted! this part will be EPPIIICCC!!". If it fails, they will be the laughing stock of the MMO world for a while.

Still, even if they deliver a great finale, the process itself was boring and tedious and pointless...so...yeah, might want to shake things up a bit for the future if the want to compete with the new kids coming to the block.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

My god, GW2 is probably the biggest letdown in years regarding MMO games.

A game without end game is pretty bad, and they found out.

Lovely game, just needs end game content.

• SandvichSandvich Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

In case you haven't noticed, no MMO has an "end". They give you something they call the end then stick more on after once people have exhausted it. You have the story of the game, then things to do when you've finished the story of the game.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Actually endgame content is "not" waht the players want, we have it with the ascended gear.  GW players, old school 1, want broader game play (more weapons) and tighter stronger story.  No one wants an endless gear tread mill. I don't mind the ascended weapons but I never want them to be what the game is about.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    This will not end well, just gonna blow up at some point. It's basicaly forces me to play when they want and with temporary content. When I want to play, content and story is gone.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by ste2000
    The drama in GW2 forum is always amusing

Would you expect anything different?

No, just wanted to point out image

When in other forums we have furious battles between fanboys and hateboys (sometimes very tedious, and I include myself as a culprit), in GW2 forums there are the most amusing posts both pro and cons.

They are so over the top that make me smile.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    This will not end well, just gonna blow up at some point. It's basicaly forces me to play when they want and with temporary content. When I want to play, content and story is gone.

This is something they say they intend to address in the upcoming Living Story seasons. Less temporary content, more permanent content. We'll see, but at least they acknowledge the problem.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Sandvich
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

You can't go back to the beginning, no, much of that content has come and gone (like a TV series for example). Some elements remain behind, but in it's entirety, no. However, you can jump in now and ride the story from this point on... this one is supposed to begin giving insight into what makes Scarlett click. 

They did put together a recap of the Story to date, however...

But i can re watch TV series when ever i like. Bad comparison.

They should release the old chapters of living story as DL content for people like me who were busy with real life and couldn't attend the story every month as well as new players who would join now and have no idea what is going on in GW2 world.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• StarlightMuse1StarlightMuse1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I miss the original guild wars...best game ever.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Logged in last night to play for a few hour's, and the only thing people were talking about was champ train farming. I saw absolutely no one talking about or even bashing on the living story. Maybe I need to drive up to washington and get some of whatever Colin is smoking (this sentence is a joke btw).
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Nope

• FarmWars2FarmWars2 Member Posts: 1

Colin seems a little delusional about his game. I primarily hear negative comments about the Living Story and direction of the game. The new Wurm and giant Clockwork feel recycled and there's fear the new Wurm will end up like Teq; only run by dedicated guilds.

In addition, they seem to do cash grabs in the gem shop with subpar items (the ability to turn gold into gems is no longer a selling point as the rate is so poor you have to grind a lot to get anything out of it). What seemed to have such potential seems to have changed into something most people didn't expect. Keep your eyes peeled for new MMOs being released this year.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    I see GW2 marketing is as humble and down to earth as ever....
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Logged in last night to play for a few hour's, and the only thing people were talking about was champ train farming. I saw absolutely no one talking about or even bashing on the living story. Maybe I need to drive up to washington and some of whatever Colin is smoking (this sentence is a joke btw).

Yeah this is my problem with the game, I am hoping that if I transfer to an RPG server it will be different. My issue has been that the MMO crowd, comes in and even without end game makes up their own. Too many I run into just want to speedbang dungeons and collect trinkets. It's why I wish Anet would do what Rift did and put in smaller party dungeons. Also bring back the henchmen of GW1 (or akin to Star Wars). 

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    While gw2 has it's issues I'm not sure sure where all the hate for gw2 comes from, it's not a bad mmo by any means.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    It's not bad, but not as great as they(arenanet) try and make you believe it is. But again this is my opinion.
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Question:  If you "jump in" now for the final parts, but didn't see the previous parts, can you still go back and do the story from the beginning?  Isn't the Living Story content temporary?

You can't go back to the beginning, no, much of that content has come and gone (like a TV series for example). Some elements remain behind, but in it's entirety, no. However, you can jump in now and ride the story from this point on... this one is supposed to begin giving insight into what makes Scarlett click. 

They should release the old chapters of living story as DL content for people like me who were busy with real life and couldn't attend the story every month as well as new players who would join now and have no idea what is going on in GW2 world.

In this era of DVRs and VOD sure, you can watch reruns but that dodges the point (albeit cleverly, I'll give you that). Think of it this way... ever see Elvis or the Beatles in concert? Would you like to? The problem is no one can anymore... that content was temporary and the best we can do is see old recordings, we can't go back and relive the experience. My kids have picked up the Living Story well after Elvis and the Beatles were around, but pick it up they have and they go forward from there. 

Originally posted by FarmWars2

Colin seems a little delusional about his game. I primarily hear negative comments about the Living Story and direction of the game. The new Wurm and giant Clockwork feel recycled and there's fear the new Wurm will end up like Teq; only run by dedicated guilds.

In addition, they seem to do cash grabs in the gem shop with subpar items (the ability to turn gold into gems is no longer a selling point as the rate is so poor you have to grind a lot to get anything out of it). What seemed to have such potential seems to have changed into something most people didn't expect. Keep your eyes peeled for new MMOs being released this year.

In these forums ANet could put out the greatest story since stories were first told and the usual bunch would come in and say it sucks. Not everyone likes every aspect of every part of the story so far, but many like a lot of it as well. When given nothing but extremes, the truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

In this era of DVRs and VOD sure, you can watch reruns but that dodges the point (albeit cleverly, I'll give you that). Think of it this way... ever see Elvis or the Beatles in concert? Would you like to? The problem is no one can anymore... that content was temporary and the best we can do is see old recordings, we can't go back and relive the experience. My kids have picked up the Living Story well after Elvis and the Beatles were around, but pick it up they have and they go forward from there. 

This shouldn t be in a game, ever. Comparing this to TV is trivial IMO. Why should I not have access to everything, It was a dumb design decision IMO, as many people I know that played GW2, will not return because of that. I guess they know whats best though.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I might participate in this event, and use it to gauge whether or not I uninstall. My reasoning is because I haven't liked the story to date. I see so much potential though for this amazing episodic week after week (bi-weekly anyways) content injection that could be a major sticking point for not just GW2 or MMO gaming but a standard for how "it's done".

What we get, is this sub-par set of small events and time wasters. There are a few notables though, mainly the Clocktower and Liadri. For casual and not "epic win" encounters, there was the city with the sails for a month (forgive me for not remembering the name) which was simply breathtaking. Every other "major" story event, especially the ones involving Scarlet even in the most remote way (Flame and Frost) have been yawn inducing.

If what they are saying here, is that this story is their crowning achievement to date and they are literally excited to be a part of what is to come...

I'll give it a shot man, but not this first part... I don't care about their version of boss fights anymore - I just don't.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Cool idea. Bad writing. (IMHO)

Originally posted by Soki123

This shouldn t be in a game, ever. Comparing this to TV is trivial IMO. Why should I not have access to everything, It was a dumb design decision IMO, as many people I know that played GW2, will not return because of that. I guess they know whats best though.

What happens in games like WoW, where you have access to, for example, Burning Crusade raids forever? The old content stagnates, dies and is never revisited again. I can imagine that some people think that's better... having all that wasted real estate simply available even though no one goes there ever again, but I for one don't. 

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

I might participate in this event, and use it to gauge whether or not I uninstall. My reasoning is because I haven't liked the story to date. I see so much potential though for this amazing episodic week after week (bi-weekly anyways) content injection that could be a major sticking point for not just GW2 or MMO gaming but a standard for how "it's done".

What we get, is this sub-par set of small events and time wasters. There are a few notables though, mainly the Clocktower and Liadri. For casual and not "epic win" encounters, there was the city with the sails for a month (forgive me for not remembering the name) which was simply breathtaking. Every other "major" story event, especially the ones involving Scarlet even in the most remote way (Flame and Frost) have been yawn inducing.

If what they are saying here, is that this story is their crowning achievement to date and they are literally excited to be a part of what is to come...

I'll give it a shot man, but not this first part... I don't care about their version of boss fights anymore - I just don't.

Ah yes, the Zephyr Sanctum! That was gorgeous indeed. It'll be back again in the future though. When it does come back I'll bet people flock to it like they did last time. 

However, I suspect that if it was still there and never left it would be scarcely populated and mostly forgotten in lieu of newer content.

Originally posted by Soki123

Why can't we compare entertainment to enterainment. Okay, lets compare it to a Call of Duty Game.  I had an epic battle 2 weeks ago. No matter what I do, even if i go to the same maps, there is no way we're going to get those players, on that map, in that condition with those obstacles again.  IN a living world, like GW2 (and other MMOs ) are suppose to be, the world is suppose to change and things of the past should be of the past.

If anything GW2 needs to do more of it, more of what they said from the beginnig.I want different enemies and dynamic events routinely in new areas. I want it to Feel like MTG where every 3 months its a new environment, the game changes and we have to adapt to the world. 

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

They strongly need to redo the personal story before they come out with another "edition".  Update it to the point where the current living story is. Better cut scenes, better "end" battle and skew the dialogue and missions to represent more of "me" and less of the Sylvan guy. 

Ironically, this is the major problem stale content, it dates the game and becomes negative marketing. I first  personal story sucks (and this isn't even until after level 40 or 50).  But it's always there in the game, even as the living story has made a more dynamic story telling exprience. Of course, this is for those of us who cares. As noted there are people whose sole thing seemed to be (in any game) to grind, grind, grind.