Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New data settles it, F2P makes much more money than P2P

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

reposting the link from another topic:

http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/

But the point is:

In the top 10 money making games (and most listed here on MMORPG.com), all but ONE is sub-only (WOW).

And wow is only #7, and making less than half compared to LoL.

This pretty much shows that to make money, F2P beats P2P, and often you don't even need a virtual world.

Comments

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

But the point is:

In the top 10 money making games (and most listed here on MMORPG.com), all but ONE is sub-only (WOW).

This pretty much shows that to make money, F2P beats P2P, and often you don't even need a virtual world.

Them numbers are fake.

Lets assume wow has 4m NA/Eu players at $15 a month thats 60m in revenue every month so how did wow not make $720+m in revenue ? That chart is revenue not profit so wows numbers should be way higher.

In fact the chart says based on free to play earnings and wow is not f2p so how is it even on the list ?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Just shows where the cattle like to graze.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by William12

But the point is:

Them numbers are fake.

Lets assume wow has 4m NA/Eu players at $15 a month thats 60m in revenue every month so how did wow not make $720+m in revenue ? That chart is revenue not profit so wows numbers should be way higher.

In fact the chart says based on free to play earnings and wow is not f2p so how is it even on the list ?

Could be what WoW makes off it's cash shop?

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Them numbers are fake. 

Read the whole page before you say the numbers are fake.  It specifically states that the numbers are strictly for the F2P portions of game earnings, they don't include sub revenue.  All cash shop revenue is reported as F2P, and WoW does have one of those.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Woe has a cash shop. Those earnings are just from WoW's cash shop.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

But the point is:

That number for WoW is its micro transactions number, not its total earnings

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

But the point is:

Them numbers are fake.

That is what WoW made in microtransactions. It does not include the revenue from subs.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Pretty sure we all knew F2P earned more money than P2P back when Turbine did it. Guess it takes a few years for it to sink in, eh?
  • tovontotovonto Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Actually if you read the fine print of the chart, you will see they based WoW and TOR numbers solely on store bought items. All this chart proves is in P2P games or games with the option of P2P players spend less on store items.
  • BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Its funny people actually believe these type of things.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I sort of agree with all this and I'm glad what it means for the genre. We'll very soon see a true and finite segregation between whales and their counterparts--the mules.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

We already knew that FTP makes more money then P2P. Nothing new, nothing unexpected.

But why would i care as a GAMER?

FTP games make more money, but they also flat out suck hard. So i have to wait for a company to make a "less profitable" game, so i can experience the fun i had 15 years ago.  Depressing.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    the only thing that this article really shows is that SWTOR is doing better than most of us thought.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by syriinx
    the only thing that this article really shows is that SWTOR is doing better than most of us thought.

Better than most of those who don't like the game thought.  Those who actually like and/or play it were fully aware it is doing fine.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Thats great, but the F2P games are still shit even if they make more money :) Just because more sheople shop cash shops means absolutely nothing to me.
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I hate free to play.  I always end up paying to play regardless.

I think the subscription eliminates the majority of the people I do not want to ruin the game I am playing because they cannot afford their Wow subscription and another game subscription.  Mom will only let them have one.. not both.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I think I know why WoW isn't at 720M+.

I think those 200M are the cash shop sales only. WoW technically IS F2P up to level 20 but has a cash shop at all levels. While accessing the upper levels and virtually all content requires subscription, one can install, create, login and play for free therefore it fits the F2P definition.

It's just a more restricted F2P. But the subscription component cant be factored into F2P regardless.

Yeah, it says in very small print that WoW and SWToR are primarily subscription games. The numbers are for micro transactions only. So for both WoW and SWToR, the numbers are not even half of their total revenue. I would not have included WoW in the f2p section since the majority of those buying from the cash shop are actually WoW subscribers.

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    Ya and the 1$ rolls of TP outsell the 5$ rolls 10 times over, doesn't change the fact that the 5$ version is 1000 times better. One will leave you feeling satisfied, comfortable and  smiling for a long time to come, the other is just something people wipe their ass on and forget it, hoping it don't bleed too long.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by phantomghost

May be you need more will power.

I have never spent even a dime on a f2p game.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"Never" is a big word and in many cases equates to the term "bull shit"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I mean I just pay the subscription.  If I am going to play the game I want full features. 

I do not play games to have some of the features.

As far as the cash shops I tend to not buy anything there.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    If you take out games that are not actual MMORPG games, only 2 are left and those involve subscriptions...
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Officially WoW has still 7 Million subscribers so WoW revenues from Subscriptions is $ 1.2 Billion + $200 Million in MT = $1.4 Billion

Which means around $400 Million more than Crossfire (the top F2P game)

So P2P makes more money than F2P when the game is popular.............. that's settled OP

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

So basically F2P makes more money than P2P as long as you ignore pesky little things like income from subs?

Definitely useful information.