Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five Fiction IPs We Want to See As MMOs

12346»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    No developer could afford the "Game of Thrones" IP except of course EA and we have seen how they have no clue what a good MMO design is.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

The IPs I would love to see in MMOs

1. Dune (Frank and Brian Herbert) - sci-fi.

2. Axis Trilogy (Sara Douglass) - fantasy.

3. The Sword of Truth (Terry Goodking) - fantasy.

4. Valdemar- herald trilogy etc. (Mercedes Lackey) - fantasy.

5. The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) - fantasy.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    What happened to the game of thrones mmo?
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Honestly? I would not want to play any of these; they are all too dystopian for my taste. I really don't need Care Bear Land, but these are waaaay to dark and gloomy for me to consider playing a virtual life in.

Suggestions from me:

- Traveller, the old Pen and Paper Sci-Fi game

- The Dark Eye, a German Pen and Paper game

- The Belgariad, a novel series by David Eddings

- a Triple AAA open world D&D of course, set in Faerun, NOT the cheap shop-greedy Cryptic game!

- maybe a sort of steampunk crossover of real world history and magic? Set in 18th/19th century Earth + magic

- and of course Shadowrun

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Elikal

Honestly? I would not want to play any of these; they are all too dystopian for my taste. I really don't need Care Bear Land, but these are waaaay to dark and gloomy for me to consider playing a virtual life in.

Suggestions from me:

- Traveller, the old Pen and Paper Sci-Fi game

- The Dark Eye, a German Pen and Paper game

- The Belgariad, a novel series by David Eddings

- a Triple AAA open world D&D of course, set in Faerun, NOT the cheap shop-greedy Cryptic game!

- maybe a sort of steampunk crossover of real world history and magic? Set in 18th/19th century Earth + magic

- and of course Shadowrun

OMG Traveller would be uber. Can you imagine how amazing that game would be if done true to the rules? I would even like the character death during generation in there.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

It's not really an IP,

but I always wanted Chrono Trigger to become a MMo

Having different portal gates that lets you travel to different time zones in the same world

The only issue is that things you do in the past you could never see what would happen in the future, unless they rely very hevily on phasing.

Mabey someday when tech is super high end, they will fig out a way for this to happen :)

• jadiusmaxjadiusmax Member UncommonPosts: 31
    The Palladium 'Multi-Verse' is by far the best overall choice.  Build the base world around the Rifts books.  Every time you want an expansion you just have another rift open on the main game world.  In Rifts earth you can have any crazy combo of world themes as rifts open to different dimensions.  Huge race/class combos... though after playing The Secret World i dont think i'll ever play a game with classes again.
  • EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Discworld seting might lead to quite interesting non-traditional MMORPG. Though I'm not sure that the depth is sufficient for each class(guilds, thieves/assasins/cunning artifiers/traders/etc...) though wizards are probably too OP in it ;D Still the changes of messing the thing up are too great.

I don't think using existing IPs if you can't take real liberties with those does really do good for IP.

• weslubowweslubow Member UncommonPosts: 163

Honor Harrington series by David Weber would make a great space mmo.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    An MMORPG based on Tolkien's Middle Earth would be amazing.

<3

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

1) Discworld: Terry Pratchett

2) Piers Anthony: Magic of Xanth series. 

3) Mistborn series : Brandon Sanderson

4) Sprawl Trilogy (or Neuromancer series to those who don't read books): William Gibson

or Snow Crash: Neal Stephenson

5) Have to honor the late Robert Jordan with Wheel of Time series.

There you have it. I would actually be happy with an single player version of any of them as well.