Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone play Mortal Online?

CryghtCryght Member UncommonPosts: 22

I've been tempted to play but i've been having thoughts of the subscription, and atm i dont have a p.c to run it till i can save up some cash for a comp upgrade..

I've looked into it and saw that Everything in the game is made by the players, even houses, castles etc..  that it is a game thats not afraid to have nudity and more mature content..  but the subscription stillg gets my attention and then theres the Facebook thing that im like O.o ????   So how much money do you save per how many friends on facebook?

I've seen gameplay and graphics of it are very nice..  though is controls difficicult? and can you tame any non real animals like maybe monsters?  i already saw that my plans on having a house may take me several RL months to build me a small cottage.. since a video showing 6 ppl making 1 house took them 3 hours together to make a medium sized home..

the game may be what i've been looking for for a mmo with crafting, mature setting, and nice graphics.. but still i want other's input on it

Comments

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I hope you know that MO is only PvP. You will be all the time killed and robbed and your house possibly destroyed. That's also all you can do there, pvp. For me MO is one example how to ruin amazing idea, thats all.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Several people in my guild played it for months (I didn't participate).  Swore by it in fact.  Only one of them still plays though.  My RL friend says that he became frustrated when he realized that there were staff members playing alongside customers within guilds.  Says that he suspected foul play.  I can't verify but it was enough to put him off of it after swearing that it was the best thing since sliced bread for a good while.  Our other close guildie still thinks it has a chance at being something great.  He is the one that still plays.  Both agree that with a little more funding it could be a great game but that at their last look (which this conversation happened a few months ago) the game was still too buggy and unrefined to really be a big hit.

All agree that it had beautiful graphics.

Try it.  You might like it I guess.  That's all I can tell you about it.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

I would probably play it all day every day if it didn't have (after so much time) a few gamebreaking bugs appearing very persistantly (every day when I played). Namely, I really didn't like, nor my pets, getting stuck at trees and fences or stuff dissapearing in my inventory or my spirit falling under ground after dieing. So terrain and inventory glitches that's about it, but I ended up feeling I battle glitches more than I battle intended ways of the game so I let it go.

Stil lI keep an eye on it because if what I said was gone, I would come back.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

It could be what your looking for,

It has everything your looking for but it is also a FFA full loot PvP game and the community has a lot of elitist in it that are only interested in PvP.

The game is also very hard for new players to learn (no map, no sense of direction, etc) and it still has many bugs and balancing issues. It is also a very large time sink. You will need to develope multiple characters in order to mine, refine materials, craft, fight, etc.

That being said it is a one of a kind game that I have many fond memories of. If I were you I'd give it a try on a free account and see what you think. I've heard the population isn't too bad nowdays and they have had some pretty large updates recently.

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Dont listen to Quirhid... The game is no wasteland, the population is pretty decent...

Its a hardcore game, you might get killed and loose ur stuff but its fun as hell... And yeah, you can tame alot of monsters such as minotaurs, huge spiders, etc.

It might have some annoying bugs but the gamebreaking ones are gone... And the devs keep patches going out on the regular, theres an engine upgrade coming and territory control patch.. Also the game has an indefinite f2p trial so you can try it all u want, just be sure to download the torrent its much faster
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I did for like two days maybe 2 years ago. It crashed a lot back then, every 5 mins or so for me. The world looked great, it was compelling, but when the player base is running around naked, that means there are some serious system design issues.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

Here's what you can expect in MO:

Create character

Punch some rabbits

Chop some trees

Make your way to the nearest town

Get some equipment

Go out and chop more trees

Get ganked from behind, lose all your equipment

Rinse, wash, repeat. The goal of the game is to basically have a hoard of crappy equipment because you'll just lose the nice stuff and it's just an open-world PvP gankfest.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

Create character

Punch some rabbits

Chop some trees

Get some equipment

Rinse, wash, repeat. The goal of the game is to basically have a hoard of crappy equipment because you'll just lose the nice stuff and it's just an open-world PvP gankfest.

Yeah because every game is just a race to get that shiny uber pixel right?  You dont risk what you dont wanna lose, the game has item decay so the nice stuff will eventually break anyways and you will need to get another one... This is why economy works in this game...

heres what your more likely to expect 

Create a character

Go kill Skeletons in your local graveyard

End up meeting some assholes that will try to steal your loot, blue block you and grief you

End up meeting some cool people that will help you get revenge on those assholes

See the assholes that griefed you in an unguarded zone, proceed to kill them and take all of their hard earned stuff

Rinse and repeat

Its really better if you join a guild with some ppl to back you up, but sometimes you will be prey other times the predator...

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar

Create character

Punch some rabbits

Chop some trees

Get some equipment

Yeah because every game is just a race to get that shiny uber pixel right?  You dont risk what you dont wanna lose, the game has item decay so the nice stuff will eventually break anyways and you will need to get another one... This is why economy works in this game...

Create a character

End up meeting some assholes that will try to steal your loot, blue block you and grief you

End up meeting some cool people that will help you get revenge on those assholes

See the assholes that griefed you in an unguarded zone, proceed to kill them and take all of their hard earned stuff

Rinse and repeat

Its really better if you join a guild with some ppl to back you up, but sometimes you will be prey other times the predator...

If you have to say "Its really better if..." it should be a sign. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I saw maybe a dozen players when I ran through the continent twice.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Create character

Punch some rabbits

Chop some trees

Get some equipment

Create a character

Rinse and repeat

If you have to say "Its really better if..." it should be a sign. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

maybe before f2p

and not saying u cant solo, but the game really shines when you join a guild... maybe if your thing is lobby "MMO"s then u wont like it

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

maybe before f2p

and not saying u cant solo, but the game really shines when you join a guild... maybe if your thing is lobby "MMO"s then u wont like it

This.

If you aren't interested in a very hard and unforgiving sandbox game, MO is obviously not your cup of tea. It is possible to go it alone, but it is extremely difficult and not nearly as much fun (in my opinion). MO is geared towards players looking for something truly different from the many cookie-cutter themepark games out there. If you want to experience everything the game has to offer, it really is best to join a guild.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Anubisan

maybe before f2p

This.

If you aren't interested in a very hard and unforgiving sandbox game, MO is obviously not your cup of tea. It is possible to go it alone, but it is extremely difficult and not nearly as much fun (in my opinion). MO is geared towards players looking for something truly different from the many cookie-cutter themepark games out there. If you want to experience everything the game has to offer, it really is best to join a guild.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. The difficulty in MO is artificial, both by design and programming. It's not hard because the game requires skills and provides player with a challenge, but because all the systems are more complex than they logically need to be, ridden with bugs and annoyances. 

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Look, if you're thinking about playing Mortal Online...

There's already a much better alternative to it that has the same kinda PvP and ability to craft houses, weapons, etc only it uses guns instead of the magic in Mortal Online.

Rust is available on Steam for $19.99 and is the same kinda game, only does it 50 times better. I've given Mortal Online a couple of chances over the past 4 years since it released open beta, and they just can't seem to fix the bugs and the issues. They did make a nice huge world, but the game is sadly still broken. Enough said.

Give Rust a look on Steam as it is still in alpha and I think you might find a lot of the same kinda PvP elements there, just done a whole lot better.

Enjoy!

- Zaxx

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

I say give it a try and see for yourself. I myself on the other hand played it extensively for a month and it is complete and utter garbage. It may float your boat, there is about 12 people playing the game and if you end up liking it that will make it 13. 

And the guy above me saying try Rust, well that's even worse.... better off sticking with MO if you like it.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Betaguy
    And the guy above me saying try Rust, well that's even worse.... better off sticking with MO if you like it.

This is utter ridiculous. Mortal Online and Rust can't even be compared actually, except that one does online PvP horribly and it has for FOUR YEARS now and One is doing it all right and still just in early alpha (Rust).

Mortal Online will and has never been any kind of best seller, where as Rust just surpassed Dayz on Steam as the NUMBER ONE BEST SELLING GAME. That's is a huge statement.

Rust has a few bugs here and there, but they are being resolved by the small team at a very rapid rate, and the cheaters and hackers are being banned and the loopholes they are exploiting are being fixed very fast.

There is no comparison between Rust and Mortal Online in quality. They do both offer a "start nude and gather resources to build weapons and a home" kinda of open world however. They both have a harsh full loot PvP experience.

I've played both games extensively and have several videos of both games on my YouTube channel. (I go by the same name on YouTube as here on these forums)

To say that Rust is "worse" then Mortal Online is a HUGE slap in the face to FacePunch studios (the same guys behind Garry's Mod) and it makes me wonder if you've even played Rust for 10 minutes to make such a silly statement.

Basically Mortal Online is and has been utter garbage for the past four years where as Rust is seeing phenomenal success already only a month after it's launch on Steam. Look, I wanted to like Mortal Online.. I really did. But rust now has came along and satisfied the same kind of online PvP elements I was looking for but has done it with wayyyyy more success. And Rust continues to just get better and better every week.

Anyhow, enjoy whatever game you decide to go with. But at least check out some YouTube videos on Rust if you haven't already and I think you'll clearly see it blows Mortal Online to pieces and offers the same kinda full loot PvP warfare and crafting, etc.

- Zaxx

Rust isn't even an MMORPG. It only supports like 128 players per server. They are not comparable at all.

It is much more like DayZ than an MMO.

Rust isn't even an MMORPG. It only supports like 128 players per server. They are not comparable at all.It is much more like DayZ than an MMO.

I get ya. Rust isn't even an mmorpg.

BUT... (Always a BUT) you do have a character that while not learning or increasing skills and stuff, can learn how to make new items with Blue Prints that stay with your character. You log out and can keep your inventory the next time you log in, as long as you logged out in a safe house or area, much like an mmorpg.

You say that Rust can only support like 128 players per server. It can actually support more, but lag starts to become an issue with more players. Here is the thing though...

Has Mortal Online EVER seen 128 players online at the same time? So when you say Rust "only" supports 128 players, be careful when comparing it to Mortal Online.

Mortal Online again had huge and great ideas, and I loved the developers for trying to re-create a new 3D Ultima Online. I really wanted to like it and tried to support it. While I understand that Rust is not an official mmorpg, it still offers many of the same kind of PvP game play mechanics and a play style that people who would be attracted to Mortal Online should like.

A steak can be sliced up and put on a hamburger bun and still be good. The meat of the online game Rust offers the same kind of meat, just done much better, that many fans attracted to an mmo like Mortal Online should enjoy.

- Zaxx

I have seen more than 128 people in Tindrem alone. I have also seen more than that number in some of the larger battles that take place during server wars. My guild alone usually has 20-30 people online. So yes... there are always FAR more people online in MO.

Your comments make me think you haven't actually played the game in a long time. The population in MO has been much stronger lately than it was long ago. And no matter how cool RUST may be, it isn't an MMORPG and it does not offer the same things Mortal does.

And no matter how cool RUST may be, it isn't an MMORPG and it does not offer the same things Mortal does.

Yeah, like flying horses image (sorry, that was low).

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by Toferio

There are always FAR more people in MO than you realize.  Have no fear:  All is well!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If that was the situation in the past, it certainly isn't that now. The cities that I've been to - Fabernum, Bakti, Meduli and Tindrem - all seem pretty populated. There's over a dozen people at the boxing match I'm at right now at 4:15AM EST on a Sunday morning. The bank, which isn't far from here is full of people, and I'm quite sure there's a decent bunch current screwing each other over in the Graveyard at this very moment. That's just Tindrem at some messed up hour of the day.

If you look at http://www.mortalonlinemap.info, those red dots are reported PVP activities, which you can see are happening all around the map.

Can one disappear into a desolate or untravelled area if they want? Sure. I think that's part of the attraction of the game to a certain degree. If you want people, it's easy to find them. If you want to drop off the grid, that's doable, as well. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

And no matter how cool RUST may be, it isn't an MMORPG and it does not offer the same things Mortal does.

fixed along time actually, lol.

population is pretty decent actually, just wait till TC patch...

fixed along time actually, lol.

population is pretty decent actually, just wait till TC patch...

Wait, TC patch still isn't in? I've been hearing about it for couple of years..

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

The Facts:

1. The game has been released for a couple of years and is not new

2. Upon release, the company has NEVER had a profitable quarter.  They continue to lose money over and over again

3. The community manager used to try and post stuff here but got called out on so many lies and half truths and embarrassing tales that they left.

4. The company has resorted to asking players for donations in addition to their monthly sub fee.

5. The game went Free to Play to bring in more players, has been mentioned on every gaming site over the years, including steam and it still can not earn more than 3000 subscriptions from the entire planet.

Does this sound like the totally awesome game being described to you by a certain person here on the forums?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

Same points you've been making over and over again for ages on this forum...

Not relevant to the current state of the game. It's clear you have not played in a very long time.

1. The devs patch frequently and have fixed most of the major game-breaking bugs. They've also completely overhauled the graphics and have created newbie-helpful content like a tutorial and starting skills for most professions.

2. The game may still not be making a profit, but what does that matter? The game is gaining in popularity no matter how much you want it to fail. If they keep up the current trend of steady improvements, the game WILL start making money.

3. The community manager stopped posting here because this site is absolutely filled with trolls who are here for no purpose other than to bash on a game they don't even play (but want to fail with a passion). Even though they were professional and courteous to the most vicious trolls, I can't blame them at all for deciding they needed to stop posting here. I've had those moments myself, thanks to this wonderful community at MMORPG.

4. Players are not required to donate anything, yet many of them do because they love the game and want it to succeed. If the game was truly so terrible, why do so many people donate? Many have donated thousands of dollars.

5. The population is quite healthy these days. I think you are very, very off on your assumption of subscription numbers. But keep telling yourself whatever you want...