Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE players emotional attachment to their characters.

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

I never understood why some people play PVE all the time and go "I don't PVP, PVP doesn't interest me, and this game is about slaying dragons and I'm here to slay dragons" then they get all high on the horse about how they don't associate with PVP players lol.

Even in WOW i bumped into these people, I had someone delete me from the friends list because I was in a battleground, I asked why did you delete me and he said "I don't hang out with PVP people sorry".

Over the years I've bumped into people who completely freak out if something happens to their game character.  Like they need to have a funeral before the respawn.

It's a video game and the only death penalty is like a 30 second wait,  I guess getting killed and respawning must take away from the role-playing aspect, but I've never played a game on anything but a PVP server so I don't understand why I'd encounter these folk.

I guess for league of legends BOT matches have a dual purpose here.

I like to speculate that they have a mortal fear of facing an opponent that actually thinks and reacts, and somehow they're going to be lesser of a person if they lose.

Anyway, are you 1 of these people?  Can you justify it for me so I understand?  Do you want to duel? :D

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    How the hell is it so hard to understand that some people don't like pvp?  Some people like apples and some don't.  This world would be extremely boring if everyone liked the same things.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

hehe, i am one of those PVE guys but plz dont compare me to wow players ok (wow has about the sadest community i have ever seen).

i pvp about 1 or 2 hours a YEAR i think......i love the PVE content, but i am a casual gamer so no 5 hour game sessions for me.

It's wrong to say that all pve players hate pvp......hell i loved pvp in UO back in the days just because i could loot the one i killed.

pvp in modern mmo's dont give me reward.....so it gets a token grind for me.....if i have to make the choice then i would rather grind in a dungeon then in pvp.....nothing more, nothing less :)

So you see not all PVE players hate pvp players and we just love to do things like gathering, crafting and exploring instead of killing other players.....that's all :)

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Is it really that difficult to understand that people don't like PvP?  I personally find most PvP boring.  
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

As already pointed out, not everyone likes the same things. You like PvP, you enjoy the satisfaction of beating a living person at the other end of the connection and not some computer controlled AI. Well, there's nothing wrong with that at all, I enjoy a bit of it myself.

But at the same time there are people who don't enjoy it and would rather play the game instead of other players. It may not be something you agree with or understand but that doesn't mean their choice of how to play is any less valid. These are people who don't look at the game as a competition between players but as a co-operative effort to beat the developer content.

I can understand them perfectly because I've done it myself. I still remember the first time I took part in a dragon raid back in EQ and took down Lady Vox. It's still one of the most epic moments I can remember in a very long MMO playing career.

At the end of the day you just have to accept the fact that people are different and won't always agree on the "best" way to do something. This doesn't just apply to PvP or PvE, it's true of everything. The less you worry about what other people have to say the happier you'll be.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Abuz0r
    I never understood why some people play PVE all the time and go "I don't PVP, PVP doesn't interest me, and this game is about slaying dragons and I'm here to slay dragons" then they get all high on the horse about how they don't associate with PVP players lol.Even in WOW i bumped into these people, I had someone delete me from the friends list because I was in a battleground, I asked why did you delete me and he said "I don't hang out with PVP people sorry".Over the years I've bumped into people who completely freak out if something happens to their game character.  Like they need to have a funeral before the respawn.It's a video game and the only death penalty is like a 30 second wait,  I guess getting killed and respawning must take away from the role-playing aspect, but I've never played a game on anything but a PVP server so I don't understand why I'd encounter these folk.I guess for league of legends BOT matches have a dual purpose here.I like to speculate that they have a mortal fear of facing an opponent that actually thinks and reacts, and somehow they're going to be lesser of a person if they lose.Anyway, are you 1 of these people?  Can you justify it for me so I understand?  Do you want to duel? :D 

First of all, no one has to 'justify' any decision they make to anyone on these forums.

Second, I PvP/PvE/PvPvE etc. I can however appreciate that other people do not like PvP for a myriad of different reasons.

It comes down to choice. And even though this question has been answered a few thousand times on this forum alone, I will humor you with this:

It's their choice. Some people like PvP others don't. Use Search on these forums or about any game forum and you can amass enough information on the topic to keep you in reading material for the next year. Depending on your reading level and comprehension.

Also, your local library, and several resources on-line have books on personal choice and there are several references available that will discuss the psyche of gamers, and of humans in general if you really want to get into understanding personal choice and decision making.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by oubers
    So you see not all PVE players hate pvp players and we just love to do things like gathering, crafting and exploring instead of killing other players.....that's all :)
    I am not a PvPer, either. Most PvPers have an attitude that I avoid at all costs, but there are a few who are actually cool and nice :)

The bad PvPers boast about "I want the challenge of a Human Opponent!" and then run around and fight these human opponents ONLY when they have the upper hand, ie: The opponents are Lower level/abilities/gear, already in a fight, or already wounded. Nope. Not looking for a "challenge" at all.

The good PvPers look for a challenge and if defeated (or victorious), are good sports. They may even give pointers to those they best in matches. They will let a wounded opponent heal up before attacking. They will defend those of lower level/abilities/gear against those bad PvPers.

To put it bluntly, I suck at PvP. If I ever PvP (I can count one hand the times I have), it is for laughs, not victory. I am NOT a competitive person. I really could not care any less if *you* are a "better" fighter than I am. I'll save us both the fight and just agree that *you* are.

As for PvE, I enjoy watching my character grow, improve, and get better at whatever they decide to do in the game. For me, there is just so much MORE to an MMORPG than "just fighting." Matter of fact, I view fighting as a means to an end, not as a main objective. If I do not have a purpose (other than "I'm better than you!") for fighting, I tend to not do it. This goes for PvE fighting, as well. If the only reason I am fighting is to gain levels, then I do not have a strong drive to do it. Face it MMO fighting is terribly presented when compared to other fighting games.

MMOs have so many variables in fighting that it is tough to balance, for one thing. Another thing is the incessant need of some players to compare characters of very differing skill sets equally:
    "I can't kill the Clerics! Fix this!" Duh. They are healers. They heal damage.

"Rogues (or Rouges) are OP! They sneak and kill me in 1 swipe! Fix this!" Duh. They're sneaky, backstabbing SOBs.

"I can not get in melee range of Archers or Mages! Fix This!" Duh. They are WEAK in melee combat, strong from distances.

I think you may have heard these "excuses for losing" and more.

PvE allows me to play my character in ways that *I* enjoy, without all the chest beating that most PvP encounters incur. It allows me to play the way *I* desire to play, instead of kowtowing to the desires of how *others* wish me to play. Since I really do not care about fighting, I think you can see why this would be bad, in my case :)

I understand "why" players love PvP. I find it interesting that you have no clue "why" other players may think differently from you. Hopefully my long spew of words helps a little bit :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    you are emontional attached thinking everyone should play with you.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    PvE and PvP people fit into a stereo type box about as well as real people do.
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

Well ... first thing is, your thread topic and opening post do not match.

Anyway, here goes:

I don't like PvP. I am not good at it. I like PvE because I can go about a set of predictable and REPEATABLE opponents to try out different things (gear, skills, tactics) until perfection for a given encounter. You simply don't get that with PvP.

That said, I don't have an issue with PvPers as players if they make good company. Trolls, pricks, haters and epeeners are not welcome.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have a single iota of competitive bone in my body. As such I don't have a need to test my myself against another player nor does it entertain me.

I have played a lot of PvP in the past but I've moved past it. Now I enjoy other aspects of gaming.

I can see myself removing somebody from a list of people to play with, if PvP is all they do in a MMO. Chances are me and that person playing together would be slim to none.

Another thing to consider is, your failure in understanding others, is not a fault that lies with others but solely with you.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    How the hell is it so hard to understand that some people don't like pvp?  Some people like apples and some don't.  This world would be extremely boring if everyone liked the same things.

This. I used to get mad at guildmates who only liked to craft and didn't like PvP, especially when it came to raid-defense, but to each their own.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

Most players play PVP i met in battle all lack of chivalry , respect to other and sometime don't have brain.

For example , they love to brainless chase people and end up get ganged , then " @$%&;*$% " after die.

And when they manage to take down some player weaker then them , they " @$%&;*$% " too.

And special , they don't have guts to stand in weak side.

Very rare to see good pvp player and they don't stay long .

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Yes, I understand how someone can have an "emotional attachment" to their PvE character and dislike people who PvP.

Back in 2004, I had an emotional attachment to my Fire Mage in WoW. The first time I was ganked was very memorable and I felt quite shocked.

However, I got used to the idea and ganked somebody else - it felt absolutely fantastic.

My "emotional attachment" to my WoW Fire Mage continued up until around 2008 when the talent point system was "simplified". From then on, my Fire Mage wasn't my Fire Mage anymore so I lost my emotional attachment to WoW and unsubbed - on reflection, this was far more traumatic to me than a PvP gank!

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

First of all, I'll go out on a limb and call bullshit on your story. Now maybe there's a chance that you simply hang out with highly volatile people, I don't know, but I've been playing WoW for quite some time and I've never had someone "unfriend" me because their interests in the game don't align with my own. 

Secondly, crazyness is the exception, not the rule. If you ever hang out in major cities, you're sure to come across the odd nut job, but generally people are fairly intelligent. 

Finally, did you ever think that maybe it's you? You know, the general stereotype about PvPers is that they're arrogant, self-involved, asses. Did you ever think that your buddy maybe just got sick of you telling him how great you were and how crappy PvEers were? Remember, 80% of the time, when someone says "It's me..." what they really mean is, "It's you..."

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

I wish I could get emotionally attached to my characters. It might help me stay with a game longer. If I could make a general statement regarding pvp players I would say that alot of them can be arrogant. Because to them they know they are battling another person that they can trash talk and be rude. This attitude serves its purpose in pvp, however a pve player might not enjoy that type of attitde. As there main objective is to kill NPC's that don't trash talk and tell you that you suck etc.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I am a PvPing Care bear and I love to PvP but my friends do not, they hate it. It's because of the 'typical" PvPer on an MMORPG.

They hate that most PvPers don't give their characters names, but dorky handles, like.. I don't know... n00bslaya or.... maybe Abuz0r.  That they want to duel everyone they perceive weaker than them, as any internet tough guy/bully type would do. That they are hyper competitive, poor losers and even worse winners. The type of people attracted to PvP in a MMORPG  tend to be the vermin  of the Web, craving to be the big fish in the small pond. If people don't like you, ask yourself, AM I likable?

So , in closing, it's not them it's you. Modifying your behavior will modify your results.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    The only way to respond to a statement like this is to try and argue why red is better than blue.
  • AledraAledra Member Posts: 13

Different people like different things, I think it wasn't nice of that person to delete you from their friend list because  you PVP. But you don't seem to speak very highly of people who stick to PVE either.

I like PVP in games that are PVP only. In games with PVE I don't really like having to make a  new char and get PVP gear just to be somewhat decent. That doesn't mean I can't understand or respect those who want to PVP though.

Unique indie mmorpg that would like your support:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jeffleigh/antilia-a-majestic-3d-mmo

• Aliantha_AngelAliantha_Angel Member UncommonPosts: 225
    I don't understand the original post.  I personally am not into PvP but I make lots of friends who do and have never heard anyone say they wouldn't hang out with or be friends with a PvP player just out of principle.  Are there really people like that?
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I can trell you why.... its because some people have no interest in only trying to understand people..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

One of the things I enjoy in a mmorpg is cooperative elements. With that in mind there are a few points to make from a general perspective based on my experiences.

Pvp has a tendency to be about You and only You, every pvp'er for themselves and the rest can go cry. It is not much about competition like a sport, but more how You can be superior to others. Pvp is generally not like some like to describe it as playing vs intelligence rather than stupid stale ai, it is more that causing grief to a machine is pointless when what You want is reaction and admiration.. Attention.

Now that is the ugly side of pvp that I don't like and unfortunately also by far the dominant. That said I have tried great pvp that I really enjoyed, and the key to these moments has always been, competition for the challenge and in a good spirit, and that the purpose is not killing other players but for example taken/holding a castle and the killing is what You do that fill the purpose and win the competitin, and last always always cooperative play so there is a tactical element involved.

Rarely does combat systems and settings support this kind of pvp. Often the opposite, and that brings another point. These kind of pvp mechanics almost always have a huge impact on how pve is played, taking out the tactical side of pve that I like because everything has to be simplified and balanced so pvp can work.

Even though some kind of pvp is to my taste I still only care for it in smaller doses, and for me pve is far more rewarding as long as it has room for surprices and challenges which often come from cooperative play.

• IrkenEliteIrkenElite Member UncommonPosts: 17

Personally, I find PvP to be terribly boring. The modern PvP community generally has little to no honor, and are usually only looking for a cheap thrill in my book. Now, that being said, I used to be an AVID PvP gamer. I loved the challenge of an equal opponent, maybe slightly better or worse, and I loved the evolving challenge of fighting something that doesn't rely on a table of pre-determined tactics. I think Age of Conan shortly after Launch was probably my last enjoyable PvP experience.

Now, it's all about the gank. It's all about "Lulz, y u so mad?" It's not about looking for a challenging opponent in about as fair a fight as you can get, as it should be. There's no honor in it, there's no real glory in it, and even with full-loot what's the point of taking on anyone not worth the challenge? Loot? Pff. Any loot they may have is beneath you. You're better than that rank 2 or 3 sword when you killed them with a rank 6 or 7. Experience? Really, what did you learn? What taxing limits did your combat skills get pushed to that you had to invent something on the fly to kill them? Not buying that. Most PvP based sandbox games, which are what all the PvP guys cry for, don't give you exp directly anyway. The win? Alright, I might buy that, but where's the glory in beating someone obviously not up to par with you?

Group PvP content? Let's go there. Solid examples of games built around group PvP: EvE, Darkfall and DF:UW, AoC back in the day. Hell, APB was one built for it, and takes on a slightly different flavor. Once again, Darkfall and DF:UW, it's a game built for trolls by trolls. Seriously, anyone who's played the game knows it. Anyone who's listened to an interview with Tasos knows it. EvE... that's a different story. CCP is a good company, released a solid product, and have been faithful to it for years now. 90% of the PvP I got into in EvE, or even hear about going on in EvE, is "Let's find a way to gank these guys." Hi-sec suicide kills, miner baiting, you know what I'm looking at here. APB... I don't even know where to begin with that buy to win derp-fest. Age of Conan, at least early-on, was pretty good about the community being honorable and keeping griefing to a minimum. Keeping PvP actually competitive instead of "I learned this exploit, lemme show you." Or, "Hi, I'm level 80, you're level 25, looks like a bad day to be you." However, inevitably, the trolls moved in and put a stop to all that honor going on. Large groups of dudes just roaming around looking for some sucker who just happened to not have as many buds or ships, and instead of giving them a miss and looking for a real fight, smaller group gets roflpwnd and loses all their stuff.

I'm not saying that PvP'ers should cuddle up and sing kumbayah or anything, I'm just saying that they should actually look at what they're there to do. They're not there for the challenge, they're not there for a good fight, they're not there to PvP. They're there solely to troll. Which, so far as I see, that's what PvP gameplay has boiled down to now, trolling in videogames. And it's not the games, it's the community, almost always.

And I, for one, refuse to take part in it.

I'll stick to my dragon-slaying and dungeon-delving, kthx.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    PvE players are emotional? I guess you've never known many people who PvP. I never knew any PvE players who sent hate tells to NPCs who killed them.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

@OP: I see so many of these people in a game I play, funny because the game is fairly PvP focused with the game theme being player-factions wt war, but there's a sect of players that prefer crafting, tea-time roleplay and PvE and avoid PvP like the plague. To each their own, I guess, but it's funny to see them whine really hard about XP loss when they die.

"I JUST LOSE 2 HOURS OF SOLID GRINDING BECAUSE OF 1 DEATH ADAJFJNSDNSD"

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• lafaiellafaiel Member UncommonPosts: 93

The answer to that is simple Abusor, pvp'ers kill games.  They descend on them like locusts and leave them a wasteland, lets take aion for example the game had a large community but it was all open world pvp for the most part.  All it took was a few people to reduce that game from 17 servers to 4 and the same story carries on in many titles. 

For the pvp'ers that play these games thier idea of fun is to make sure you don't have any, they're normally childred of single parant house holds or get bullied in school so they only place they can fell like they're superior in anyway is when they ruin someones day. 

The only fairly modern game that I have played that is a bit different is EVE, that game can be brutal for both predator and prey where players put it all on the line,, its the only pvp centric game I can enjoy playing because if someone griefs you, you can always find a way to grief them back.