Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Is Maplestory still worth playing?

gluursgluurs fallon, TXPosts: 54Member
I played Maplestory a few years ago, when you only had the base classes, and i found the game quite enjoyable. now with the addition of all of the new classes, is it still worth playing?

"Fear & Desire are weapons in my life's pursuit"
@KrewellaJahan

Comments

  • plat0nicplat0nic new york, NYPosts: 301Member
    Personally I don't think so.. picked it up again last year after some time off and was bored as hell

    image
    Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

  • EaglertEaglert San Diego, CAPosts: 12Member

    The Dual Blade patch turned the entire game around and it has been in a downhill spiral ever since. The newer classes always make the older ones obsolete, good gear is now honestly impossible to get without paying (The amount of P2W now would make any sub-based player vomit) and it's required to do any current bosses, hacking is at an all time low with frequent crashes, rollbacks, and duping, and each patch never lives up to its promises.

    I don't mean to sound like I hate P2W games. I spent around $12,000 on MapleStory over 4 years of playing, but it's just  way too expensive now. Class specialties have gone out the window, raiding is only about damage range, and leveling-although level cap has never been necessary to do endgame content-is faster but terribly gear dependent now.

    If you're looking to do any sort of bossing, you have three options:

    1) Hack, dupe, and scam your way.

    2) Go to the 3rd party websites and pay ~$2,000 for a set that will be obsolete within a year.

    3) Spend about $50,000 for a chance of decent items.

     

    I'm not even exaggerating. The game is the biggest P2W scam I've ever seen.

  • SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot bagong silangPosts: 224Member

    Lol you double-posted this thread @ onrpg.com and mmobomb.com forums ad-verbatim. I'll leave the same answer here I left there;

     

    If you enjoyed the gameplay before and they've added new content since then, only you can decide if it's worth playing again.

    image
    Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by Eaglert

    The Dual Blade patch turned the entire game around and it has been in a downhill spiral ever since. The newer classes always make the older ones obsolete, good gear is now honestly impossible to get without paying (The amount of P2W now would make any sub-based player vomit) and it's required to do any current bosses, hacking is at an all time low with frequent crashes, rollbacks, and duping, and each patch never lives up to its promises.

    I don't mean to sound like I hate P2W games. I spent around $12,000 on MapleStory over 4 years of playing, but it's just  way too expensive now. Class specialties have gone out the window, raiding is only about damage range, and leveling-although level cap has never been necessary to do endgame content-is faster but terribly gear dependent now.

    If you're looking to do any sort of bossing, you have three options:

    1) Hack, dupe, and scam your way.

    2) Go to the 3rd party websites and pay ~$2,000 for a set that will be obsolete within a year.

    3) Spend about $50,000 for a chance of decent items.

     

    I'm not even exaggerating. The game is the biggest P2W scam I've ever seen.

    I saw a list of games on superdata that had maplestory as the number 5 money making game ( wow is #7 ) So while your story makes me think anyone would be crazy to pay all that for a game...obviously many people are. weird.

  • AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,618Member Uncommon
    Got ruined by rwt both legal and illegal.

    This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,407Member Uncommon
    I never played it. I think I'll just wait for either Sycamorestory or Birchstory.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Eaglert

    The Dual Blade patch turned the entire game around and it has been in a downhill spiral ever since. The newer classes always make the older ones obsolete, good gear is now honestly impossible to get without paying (The amount of P2W now would make any sub-based player vomit) and it's required to do any current bosses, hacking is at an all time low with frequent crashes, rollbacks, and duping, and each patch never lives up to its promises.

    I don't mean to sound like I hate P2W games. I spent around $12,000 on MapleStory over 4 years of playing, but it's just  way too expensive now. Class specialties have gone out the window, raiding is only about damage range, and leveling-although level cap has never been necessary to do endgame content-is faster but terribly gear dependent now.

    If you're looking to do any sort of bossing, you have three options:

    1) Hack, dupe, and scam your way.

    2) Go to the 3rd party websites and pay ~$2,000 for a set that will be obsolete within a year.

    3) Spend about $50,000 for a chance of decent items.

     

    I'm not even exaggerating. The game is the biggest P2W scam I've ever seen.

     

    If someone who voluntarily spent over $300 a month for 3 years on a  claims that it now has become "P2W" then I think I'll take your word for it...

    You make me like charity

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,279Member Uncommon
    Exactly what I was thinking ^^^^
  • gluursgluurs fallon, TXPosts: 54Member
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

    Lol you double-posted this thread @ onrpg.com and mmobomb.com forums ad-verbatim. I'll leave the same answer here I left there;

     

    If you enjoyed the gameplay before and they've added new content since then, only you can decide if it's worth playing again.

    Ah so you look on those forums also.

    "Fear & Desire are weapons in my life's pursuit"
    @KrewellaJahan

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by gluurs
    I played Maplestory a few years ago, when you only had the base classes, and i found the game quite enjoyable. now with the addition of all of the new classes, is it still worth playing?

     If you're looking to get to level 110+ in a single day then you could say it's "fun". I remember when it took time and dedication to get to level 70. Then they lowered the exp rate so level 120 was the new high level player. Then again it was 140-160. Now people can breeze through these levels without batting an eye lash. 

     If you do go back to the game I highly recommend that you have a lot of money backing your character. As this is also one of the very few ways to actually become better in this  game. Yes Maplestory is most definitely Pay to win. The best mage staves in the game come from the in game gambling system and if you want to stat you gear to be perfect look forward at spending thousands of dollars to get the perfect upgrades on all your endgame equipment.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
Sign In or Register to comment.