Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: 5 Things RIFT MUST Do in 2014

124»

Comments

• Shini_AngelShini_Angel Member Posts: 1
    My biggest issue I have been having with Rift since f2p is the fact that they are adding in really cool mounts and there is no other way to get them but to either buy them outright from the cash shop, or have to either grind a crap load of event currency to get grab bags to get a chance at either getting them from there or having to collect X number of pets that are a random drop from the grab bags that you can only either get once from the phase quest for the world event or spend money on the cash shop to get them or grind event currency on them and even then only have a slim chance at getting the right pets out of the grab bags (and getting many duplicates in the process) and there are 2 pets for the achievement to get the mount that are only obtained from the cash shop. Make mounts like that obtainable like when introduced Hell bugs as a crossover from Defiance, as a random drop from Hell bug themed rifts that you had to spawn and fully complete including the unstable levels to have a chance at.  Or make them like how Nebula was obtained by world event currency that was only obtained by doing the phase main quest for that phase of the world event that could only be done once per phase so it felt like you were working towards something you actually wanted each phase without being such a currency grind. So that even the most casual and cash strapped players can have a chance to gets the mounts they really like.
  • DraiscorDraiscor Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by GameByNight
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Originally posted by GameByNight

Originally posted by Holyfleadip I want a new CONQUEST area.  Twist it up a little.  Lag is horrible, but it's still fun. I wasn't there for the days of subs, but I know they are making a mint on how they have things now.  Sub or no sub means jack.  They need to do better on customer service.  They do  treat non-subs substandard, but when u start spending in the cash shop to support the game, then they need to change that attitude. DON'T make it so you lvl to end game in a flash.  OMG!  Didn't we hear enough of that grip with WOW.  Vote to /gkick Chris if he ever says such a stupid thing again.  Let's get to end game so we can grind the same S##T every day for months.  Rep/gear grind anybody.  Exploration, lore, and pvp should make the game.  NOT end game content.
    Don't gkick me! I'm just saying, virtually everyone I know who no longer plays RIFT complains about how long the XP grind is in Storm Legion.

XP grind?? Any complaints I'm hearing are from the folks grinding Torvan rep. With XP vials available from the store or free to patrons, I've not heard anyone complain about XP in a long time.

But that's the problem, you need XP vials to make the grind bearable. They should not turn to purchasables to overcome a design issue.

They addressed this in 2.5....

EDIT: Also, about the hype for 3.0. Trion has always left it to very near release (by comparison to other companies) to make official announcements about the stuff they're releasing and start building hype. Which is a good thing imo, it reduces the likelihood of hype waining before the product hits the store.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Going over this list makes me feel that the person who wrote it doesnt play rift funny enough. 2 of my guildies got to lvl 60 in under a month. The only problem is Rep Grind however isnt even that isnt that horrible from what ive been doing. The build he listed he used has been basically gone since SL launched. So in short, Go home Mr, your drunk.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think the most important thing is Rift 3.0 - if it's well executed and delivers on gameplay and content - it's gonna be a great year for Rift.

If the goal is to just hang onto some current players,then i guess more of the same old is going to do it for them,but if looking to expand the player base or bring players back,then NO,they need a new direction.

I guess i would say think....SWG.Even the SWG idea was not all that bad  as that game was slowly dying and needed a change,just too bad the change was the wrong one.

When i think Rift,i think same old linear questing,that is not going to entice me anymore,not in ANY game.If i thought the combat and class structure was really good,i "might"consider it,but Rift is not good enough in any of it's systems to offset the linear questing design.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Left because of 2. Normal mobs lv. 50 have several times more HP then ELITE(!) mobs lv. 50 in old world. It takse insane ammount of time to kill trivial mobs. Left and I'm not returning until they fix this.

Who cares how long it takes,IF you are having fun playing your class?You are saying the combat and your cl;ass are not fun to play?Then that is the REAL problem.How long a fight takes should never be a problem,if anything  TOO short would be a problem because that means no action<>reaction,probably no need for buffs or debuffs,just a simple 1-2-3 hotbar ,rinse and repeat..=VERY boring,non intuitive game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

I'd been gone a long while from RIft and returned last fall. My wife joined me soon after. Anyhow I found leveling, including the Storm Legion content to be "too" fast. The exp modifiers that you can use make it so that you go too fast. 

Seriously it was so fast to level through questing that we found ourselves skipping content left and right, including in the Storm Legion area. So I really can't agree with article writer's  number two point. I will agree with his other points though.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by AcmeGamer

I'd been gone a long while from RIft and returned last fall. My wife joined me soon after. Anyhow I found leveling, including the Storm Legion content to be "too" fast. The exp modifiers that you can use make it so that you go too fast. 

Seriously it was so fast to level through questing that we found ourselves skipping content left and right, including in the Storm Legion area. So I really can't agree with article writer's  number two point. I will agree with his other points though.

I also found leveling not so bad and leveled one character on Dusken and another on Brevane, before the nerf.

The problem wasn't really the xp curve and i rather enjoyed the slow pace, knowing that the game is over once you reach 60. What absolutely bothered me is that both continents only hold like 4 different quests that got repeated over and over and over from 50 to 60. And to fill in for the lack of quests in general, some genius came up with these carnage quests. You couldn't kill a mob without getting another X of Y grind shoved down your throat.

This is usually the point at which someone comes in yelling "but do instant adventures!!" - i would have, but it took 1.5hrs for them to pop up and then it was me and 2 other guys in there. Plus again, it is no content in terms of story, lore, challenge etc. but mindless slaughter of mobs and running after numbers on the map to keep up with the pack.

Slow leveling isnt that bad and i'm more of the "journey type" of player, but there has to be content. It's not the pace that make leveling in Rift bad, it is that there is nothing to level on. Compared to quests in other themeparks, Storm Legion absolutely sucks.

• Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Getting new prestige rank -it's really Overgrind for european MMORPG .
  • illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I recently returned to Rift after a long break. I went from 50-56 in no time. I am not feeling this grind. The only thing I would like to see is a persistent large scale pvp area much like gw 2. Personally I feel this is all they are lacking. The game is superb in all other areas.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by mCalvert

To get to something fun. Grind is not fun, better to get through it as quick as possible. Kill 10 rats slowly or quickly? Hard decision.

Am I correct in guessing that "something fun" is end-game raiding and/or PvP?

So, basically, you're racing past 90% of the game's content (which, in every MMO I've ever played, always entails more than just "kill and collect" tasks) to...

1. Grind out the same handful of raid dungeons, killing the same trash mobs and bosses over and over again, to get better gear... so you can grind out the next wave of trash mobs and bosses over and over again, to get better gear... so you can grind out the next wave of trash mobs and bosses over an dover again... and so on...

2. Grinding out PvP to get points to buy better gear... to do better in PvP... to get more points... to get better gear... to do better in PvP... 

Basically.. "I want to get past the low-mid level grind, so I can get to the end-game gear treadmill, where the real grind starts, to do the same handful of raids/PvP BGs over and over... for weeks/months on end, while waiting for the next set of raid dungeons/PvP BGs... so I can grind those out over and over... for weeks/months more... because that's where the fun is...". That's basically what it boils down to. 

The irony will never cease to amuse me. Sad the "end game or bust" crowd will never see it.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    6. Bring back the EU RP server.

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • konz3nkonz3n Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Same here. Its the deal breaker for me. That's why I came back to WoW again. Animations are lifeless, no natural feeling of syncing every move you make.

• samfortalsamfortal Member Posts: 13
    My problem with Rift is about Raid stuff. I hate to wait another 20 guys to kill a boss. 10 guys is the max I can support.