Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Guide] WildStar: Chief Sarcan's Guide to Crafting in Nexus

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Crafting is set to be a huge part of the WildStar universe. This guide serves to explain what to expect in WildStar Crafting. Chief has provided some information about every Tradeskill and Hobby to help you decide which crafting professions you will want to focus on in WildStar. Please remember that the game is still in closed beta and content is subject to change.

Check out Chief Sarcan's WildStar: It's Going to Be a Crafty World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Quite a lot to do, seems fun.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Why not just let people keep all tradeskills active at the same time.  I mean by allowing swaps you are just doing the same thing with a price and a time delay and "temporary amnesia." 

This was one thing about everquest 1 that I really liked.   Mastering ONE tradeskill was really hard back in the day, but if you were a complete nut like I was with tradeskills, you could master ALL of them. 

----

Here is one other big reason for allowing them at the same time as opposed to swapping...  You tend to hunt in level appropriate areas for a profession and then level past where the things you could later make are.  Hence if you want to do the slow route and level up several professions you will be wanting to swap often which you can't do early due to the costs of it.

Having the swapping mechanism will make people end up hunting a lot in areas way below them while having no swapping mechanism would be more likely to have people stay in areas until they are finished before moving on.

Either that or people will gather and horde and end up creating the maximum number of characters just to hold stuff while not selling anything then shifting professions and just making stuff and then shifting back and doing hoarding.  In essence you are going to have people with 15 alts who are set up just to provide extra storage space.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by centkin

Why not just let people keep all tradeskills active at the same time.  I mean by allowing swaps you are just doing the same thing with a price and a time delay and "temporary amnesia." 

This was one thing about everquest 1 that I really liked.   Mastering ONE tradeskill was really hard back in the day, but if you were a complete nut like I was with tradeskills, you could master ALL of them. 

----

Here is one other big reason for allowing them at the same time as opposed to swapping...  You tend to hunt in level appropriate areas for a profession and then level past where the things you could later make are.  Hence if you want to do the slow route and level up several professions you will be wanting to swap often which you can't do early due to the costs of it.

Having the swapping mechanism will make people end up hunting a lot in areas way below them while having no swapping mechanism would be more likely to have people stay in areas until they are finished before moving on.

Either that or people will gather and horde and end up creating the maximum number of characters just to hold stuff while not selling anything then shifting professions and just making stuff and then shifting back and doing hoarding.  In essence you are going to have people with 15 alts who are set up just to provide extra storage space.

If everyone masters every available tradeskill the economy goes out the window. I think it's only viable to allow unlimited access to all trade skills in sandbox games where crafting is but on of many activities and usually a only a number of people take the time to level a crafting skill fully. If everyone can make anything then there's no reason to spend money on buying high end gear for insane amounts of whatever currency is in use, when you can easily level the skills and acquire the ingredients. I have yet to find a theme park game with complex crafting that actually takes time to learn and master. But I suppose I'm a minority when it comes to importance of crafting. Nowadays people seem more interested in killing endless enemies until they reach the level limit and then move on to the next game..

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

This is a great preview, thank you for sharing all the information you've gathered for crafting.  I'm glad to read that it's not just a 1/2 assed secondary feature but a fully fledged out feature with many depths to it.  

The most interesting parts are how nodes aren't just generic nodes that a botting, exploiting farmer can teleport-hack to, but instead some can attack or run away or have hidden tunnels.

Love how there's hobby crafting such as cooking and farming (and they did confirm in the Q&A that fishing is not going to be at release, but will be a post-release additional feature).   It maybe a minor thing to some, but it adds far more immersion to the game that you're able to pick or grow plants to gather materials for cooking things.

I don't think it's been revealed yet, but anyone know if the game is going to have single-server economies or follow suit of games like GW2 where it's regional cluster?  I'd really like to see a single-server model after realizing how saturated a regional one gets to a point of oversaturation.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Every themepark MMO has this tradeskill structure.  I am sure it will all be level based, and whatever you create will pale in comparison to dropped items.....you know, like it is in WOW, or EQ2, or LOTRO, or whatever other MMO is out there.

The best choice is to take the gathering professions, sell the raw materials on the Auction House and laugh as people try to sell finished items.

Still waiting for a quality MMO to deliver a crafting system like UO, SWG or Horizons had.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

Every themepark MMO has this tradeskill structure.  I am sure it will all be level based, and whatever you create will pale in comparison to dropped items.....you know, like it is in WOW, or EQ2, or LOTRO, or whatever other MMO is out there. 

The best choice is to take the gathering professions, sell the raw materials on the Auction House and laugh as people try to sell finished items. 

Still waiting for a quality MMO to deliver a crafting system like UO, SWG or Horizons had.

EQ2?  If you are diligent about it in that game, most of the crafted stuff is way better than same level drops.

And last time I checked, UO and Horizons were still open.  So "had" isn't the correct word.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

So old school. A+B+C=D, restricted professions, work orders, specializations.

Been there done that way too many times.

Really I expected more from the devs at Wildstar.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't like the added hand holding,it leaves nothing to be discovered,so takes away the FUN of it.

Yes eventually everything can be known via the internet but players shouldn't be so quick to ruin games by posting everything on Wiki.

I would simply prefer to see NO books or anything to show you the crafts,it should be through trial and error.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by Calven

If everyone masters every available tradeskill the economy goes out the window.

Except if you make multiple characters you can master every tradeskill then just swap items between your characters. What will really throw the economy out the window is the lack of destructable items. Since items don't wear out or get damaged once you have the best (or near best) bits of gear crafting is useless unless you can sell to vendors for a profit. But if a piece of gear can be destroyed (like from a death penalty) suddenly you have an ever-present demand for new items. EVE online does this. You don't use what you're not willing to lose if horrible things happen. It can be a bummer, but at least it keeps the economy going.

If items aren't destroyable then you're going to have an economy with a supply but no demand apart from new characters entering the game. That's not sustainable. Eventually even the best gear could be bought for a pittance because everyone else already has it so there's no demand for it anymore.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Anyone know if you can crit on a item to make a better version like FF14 and Lotro? Also will there be anyway that items crafted can be different from someone else or are all lvl 11 swords the exact same?
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Calven
    Originally posted by centkin

----

If everyone masters every available tradeskill the economy goes out the window. I think it's only viable to allow unlimited access to all trade skills in sandbox games where crafting is but on of many activities and usually a only a number of people take the time to level a crafting skill fully. If everyone can make anything then there's no reason to spend money on buying high end gear for insane amounts of whatever currency is in use, when you can easily level the skills and acquire the ingredients. I have yet to find a theme park game with complex crafting that actually takes time to learn and master. But I suppose I'm a minority when it comes to importance of crafting. Nowadays people seem more interested in killing endless enemies until they reach the level limit and then move on to the next game..

Encouraging exploration with crafting is a great motivator. I agree that they should allow us to unlock all, if they do not address the issue of alting on top of that (gear grinds on top of alts).

And the latter arguement that it throws the economy out the window is wrong. 1st, it depends on the economy, since there are rares they will always have a great value and profit to be made. 2. Time and opportunity cost with using certain trade skills. People can not use all trade skills at the same time and craft everything at the same time.

The only reason to limit skills per character is to reward your decision to make it feel more special, and encourage alting. Which is fine... but it really depends on how bad the gear grind is with alting, since the lvling in wild star looks well done with different paths as well.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

EQ2?  If you are diligent about it in that game, most of the crafted stuff is way better than same level drops.

And last time I checked, UO and Horizons were still open.  So "had" isn't the correct word.

Well in the Q&A frost said crafted items would be on par with items you find while leveling or worth making while you level.

"Hell yes it will! It fills the gaps between quests and with our modification systems like rune crafting, you can make your gear more badass. Crafting at endgame can also be used to make elder game gear more badass as well. Check out some crafter streams online. They have quite a few that detail it pretty well!"

Would advice to watch the streams on crafting, if there not to sure.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I think the cooldown is good.  If you need something for a recipe that is made by another profession, it gives you the option of waiting to switch make the ingredient and switch back, or to interact with the community to buy it.  Depending on how limiting storage is on each character storing mats for every profession may not be feasible.  So using alts is still a good option.  The cooldown provides flexibility while not making it the one optimal way of doing things.  
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Bayen

Doesn't look very robust... collect items drop in slot's click craft.... sick of this myself. They need random materials and experimentation to make crafting seem legit in this day and age.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by Bayen

Doesn't look very robust... collect items drop in slot's click craft.... sick of this myself. They need random materials and experimentation to make crafting seem legit in this day and age.

Spot on bud...  This is crafting at its most basic..  "whack-a-mole" crafting...

Where are the devs with the balls to go the route of Vanguard and the Original way we crafted in EQ2 before it got dumbed down?!

I am sick to death of devs shouting how great their crafting system is.  Yeah you drop that ingredient there, that one there and that one there and hit that button and *POOF*

The "system" they are so excited about is drop 3 things into 3 slots and press a make button.  Sorry but that's so basic it hurts.  Oh and before someone chimes in talking about the gathering..  Gathering is just that, its separate from crafting.  The gathering system might be great by the way....

FFXIV for its flaws has a nice crafting system which I enjoyed until I realised there was no point in crafting..

Ah well maybe Archeage can make me smile?

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116

Nothing near "" huge "" this is casual crafting, and 1 shouldent expect less from a mmorpg in a 2014

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Jafotron

Well in the Q&A frost said crafted items would be on par with items you find while leveling or worth making while you level. 

"Hell yes it will! It fills the gaps between quests and with our modification systems like rune crafting, you can make your gear more badass. Crafting at endgame can also be used to make elder game gear more badass as well. Check out some crafter streams online. They have quite a few that detail it pretty well!" 

Would advice to watch the streams on crafting, if there not to sure. 

Ideally, the stats on crafted gear from a given level would be on par with the best dropped gear of that level, but from an aesthetic standpoint crafted stuff would be the only way to actually pick an attractive look.

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

Spot on bud...  This is crafting at its most basic..  "whack-a-mole" crafting...

Where are the devs with the balls to go the route of Vanguard and the Original way we crafted in EQ2 before it got dumbed down?!

I am sick to death of devs shouting how great their crafting system is.  Yeah you drop that ingredient there, that one there and that one there and hit that button and *POOF*

The "system" they are so excited about is drop 3 things into 3 slots and press a make button.  Sorry but that's so basic it hurts.  Oh and before someone chimes in talking about the gathering..  Gathering is just that, its separate from crafting.  The gathering system might be great by the way....

FFXIV for its flaws has a nice crafting system which I enjoyed until I realised there was no point in crafting..

Ah well maybe Archeage can make me smile? 

You have to remember, there are two (at least) types of crafting fan, not one.  Some people care the most about the process.  They want it to feel like it's own fully featured game within the game.  Others just craft for the result.  It is possible for a crafting system to be great for one of those audiences even while it fails miserably for the other.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.