Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Kickstarter!

Comments

• CeythosCeythos Member Posts: 14

Thanks for the first time pledges and continued interest everyone :) Be sure to check back with the kickstarter page early next week as we're going to have more updates and information added!

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Ceythos

Thanks for the first time pledges and continued interest everyone :) Be sure to check back with the kickstarter page early next week as we're going to have more updates and information added!

Ask Brad why he posts to rerolled but not to his own kickstarter, please

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by UOlover

He's done several huge updates, and more frequently than a lot of Kickstarters ever do.  Shrug.

As for people not trusting Brad. Fair enough, I won't argue your right to feel that way.  I personally feel someone who has actually been FORCED to account for their mistakes can be trusted more than those in the industry who haven't, and keep getting jobs producing completely uninspired games.  Flaws build character and guts and dimension, and hopefully that will all translate into real passion and dedication to a project that will then have more character, guts and dimension than other things I'm seeing.

Think of it this way: that restaurant that just got dinged for health code violations is usually the cleanest place in town for a long time, because they HAVE to be on their game or they'll get shut down.  Brad has everything to prove and everything on the line, and to me that's far more encouraging than a bunch of devs comfortable in their jobs and mediocrity.  I'll always side with the person who has something to prove and who has his own read end on the line.

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by jdnewell

So the 800k is basically to set up the office and pay the people who have done free work so far?

The idea of the game sounds interesting enough, if it releases I will give it a shot. I wish them luck, they will probably need it.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. The 800k will get us a paycheck, an office, and allow us to continue working on the project. We've all made a lot of sacrifices because we believe in the project beyond getting paid; most of us have been living and working out of pocket since September of last year or longer.

I understand people's reluctance and desire to wait until the product's finished. Posting here and other places showing your interest at least reaffirms what we believe, and that now is the right time for a world and product like ours. I hope through our actions we can win you over *before* we finish, but hey - I get it, and thanks for taking the time to post and let us know how you feel :)

You are welcome =)

And I do sincerely wish you guys the best on the project. You have many hurdles to overcome, best of luck to you and the team.

Cheers

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Here's my issue with this and or all kickstarters ...They are at least 3 years from alpha....that's a long time, when you want to play something now. What else will change in those years???

Now granted i backed star citizen. ..loved all the wing commander games..so I have faith in Chris. Brad...I loved eq wasted many years of my life there.....but we all know his past and management skills...so this tuff
    Originally posted by popsideath
    Originally posted by UOlover

He's done several huge updates, and more frequently than a lot of Kickstarters ever do.  Shrug.

Comments section, that's what I care about. I believe that the backers talking to the head guy on the kickstarter is paramount. He did post last night after I made the post here so I am happy I was able to guilt trip him into doing it:)

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by ReaperJoda
    Here's my issue with this and or all kickstarters ...They are at least 3 years from alpha....that's a long time, when you want to play something now. What else will change in those years??? Now granted i backed star citizen. ..loved all the wing commander games..so I have faith in Chris. Brad...I loved eq wasted many years of my life there.....but we all know his past and management skills...so this tuff

Its about the bigger picture. If we can show that there is an audience for this type of game then we get more of these type of games made. Sorry but I'd rather give money to this than some new uninspired quest hubber, real game starts at endgame mmo.

I liked EQ and despite its technical issues I liked Vanguard. it was not a bad game in the least as far as a game.

And someone else is in charge of the project's management

Last but not least its about the bigger picture. You don't think every big publisher is not watching this project to see how it does?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Invest

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    I like Brad, but what worries me is, remember what happened to Vanguard? People can only play that game now, cous another company bought it

Originally posted by ReaperJoda
    Here's my issue with this and or all kickstarters ...They are at least 3 years from alpha....that's a long time, when you want to play something now. 

It is very unlikely actually that they are 3 years from alpha. The dates on the site mean nothing when they list the same date for the start of everything. 3 years from release, we can believe that. Beta before that, Alpha before that, very early testing before that. 

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Somehow reading the thread reminded me of those old PBS telethons here in the US. I wonder if they could get some musicians together and live stream a fundraiser on YouTube to help out the kickstarter. Actually I am surprised no one has done something like that before?

Personally, I am not buying the line that private investors will cover the other expenses if they get 800K. Those are some big stretch goals and the game simply will not have the features I want in an MMO without raising at least 3.8 million dollars. It will take 6.7 million to make a really cool game out of it. If they reach 3.8 million I will buy in. Otherwise, it simply isn't worth it to me and there will be a lot of other competing projects to buy into between now and 2017.

*Watches the donation count: $172,592 as of 1/19 with 34 days to go.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I really don't understand how crafting can potentially be added after launch if the 2.5 mill is not met. Crafting is such an integral part of any game in which it is implemented in a meaningful way. The thought of it being added post launch leads me to believe that it is not intended to have much impact on anything. Seems very fishy when you think about it. Imagine launching a game like Vanguard for instance, with no crafting. Then imagine adding in that complex crafting system and all that would effect. Seems it has to be designed from the ground up as an integral part of the game and crafting has to be taken into consideration when designing all other aspects of the game. Starting to question how well thought out this is. And wondering what their true intentions are. It just doesn't stand up when rational logic is applied.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Kickstarted it!  I'm a sucker for old EQ & mounts :)

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Hellidol

so i want to donate to either shroud or this, and it would be a good deal of money but ia m not sure and i am not wiling to donate to both as I will only want to invest in one both financially, mentally and time usage. 

so i guess the question is what sets them apart?

Shroud of the Avatar looks much more sandboxy, will have a significant PvP element, can be played offline, and is buy to play, so the game will be micro transaction driven.  It also is due to release this year.  Its also being made by a multi-millionaire who lives in castles and launches himself into space.

Brad's game will probably be like EQ-not a theme park but probably not a sandbox either.  It will be more PvE focused and looks like it is meant to be much more of a social game.  basically he is trying to make a true EQ2.  And its not releasing for a long time.

Originally posted by evolpc
    I really don't understand how crafting can potentially be added after launch if the 2.5 mill is not met. Crafting is such an integral part of any game in which it is implemented in a meaningful way. The thought of it being added post launch leads me to believe that it is not intended to have much impact on anything. Seems very fishy when you think about it. Imagine launching a game like Vanguard for instance, with no crafting. Then imagine adding in that complex crafting system and all that would effect. Seems it has to be designed from the ground up as an integral part of the game and crafting has to be taken into consideration when designing all other aspects of the game. Starting to question how well thought out this is. And wondering what their true intentions are. It just doesn't stand up when rational logic is applied.

I agree with you, but welcome to kickstarter.  they all do this with tiered crap these days.   Its nt like crafting wont be a part of the game.

I also have a feeling with this game that Brad has a plan B, and that plan B is SoE.  SoE is in no financial shape right now to commit, but after EQL and EQN release things may be different.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Good lord.  This is starting to turn into Vanguard all over again, with the Vanboys hyping the shit out of this.  Here's hoping history repeats itself because hopefully if McQuaid crashes and burns yet again we won't hear from Vanboys/Vanboys 2.0 ever again.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Originally posted by syriinx

I agree with you, but welcome to kickstarter.  they all do this with tiered crap these days.   Its nt like crafting wont be a part of the game.

I also have a feeling with this game that Brad has a plan B, and that plan B is SoE.  SoE is in no financial shape right now to commit, but after EQL and EQN release things may be different.

Theres no way he's going to fund the game with what he makes on KS.  More than likely, he'll use his KS success (and, unfortunately, it will succeed) to show to potential investors "Hey, theres still a market for MMOs where the player is willing to get dick punched because its "hardcore" and "old school" so give me money!".

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Ginaz

Theres no way he's going to fund the game with what he makes on KS.  More than likely, he'll use his KS success (and, unfortunately, it will succeed) to show to potential investors "Hey, theres still a market for MMOs where the player willing gets dick punched because its "hardcore" and "old school" so give me money!".

Sounds good to me

Theres no way he's going to fund the game with what he makes on KS.  More than likely, he'll use his KS success (and, unfortunately, it will succeed) to show to potential investors "Hey, theres still a market for MMOs where the player willing gets dick punched because its "hardcore" and "old school" so give me money!".

He already has the potential investor, that investor just doesnt have money for it right now

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am sorry to hear that, it must be so tough for you to watch other people spend their money that they earn, and then to think of them getting 'dick punched' playing a game they like.  I never realized it was so hard on someone else.

Kind of crazy that a EQ/VG death penalty (VG's is like nothing imo), travel that isn't to everywhere, and group orientated content (you can still solo, he has said as much, but that real content is made for groups) is so foreign now.

Nice of you to post though, and hope and wish that people you don't know never get a game they are wanting...Says more about you, than anyone else.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Good lord.  This is starting to turn into Vanguard all over again, with the Vanboys hyping the shit out of this.  Here's hoping history repeats itself because hopefully if McQuaid crashes and burns yet again we won't hear from Vanboys/Vanboys 2.0 ever again.

I am an EQ and Vanguard fanboy and I am not hyping anything.

I haven't pledged a cent yet.

I know that giving money to McQuaid is a risk, but that's not the reason that's stopping me.

I just don't know enough about Pantheon yet, still waiting for solid info and a more detailed FAQs section on their KS page.

• jons000jons000 Member Posts: 13

I don't understand why you say it is unfortunate that this will succeed.  It may not be your cup of tea, but that doesn't make it less valid.  You are correct that it shows investors that there is a niche market for a game that can hold the title of "hardcore" or "old school" as you say.  There are plenty of niche markets in the world today that I don't prefer, but I don't wish them any ill will.  If it isn't for you that's fine, and I hope you have a game that provides the enjoyment you are seeking, but to boil this down to "Vanboys overhyping something" is not a fair assessment of the situation.  It's an opportunity for those of us without an enjoyable game to show the industry that we are willing to pay for something different than the status quo.  It's the chance to vote with our dollars.

• jons000jons000 Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by ste2000

I am an EQ and Vanguard fanboy and I am not hyping anything.

I haven't pledged a cent yet.

I know that giving money to McQuaid is a risk, but that's not the reason that's stopping me.

I just don't know enough about Pantheon yet, still waiting for solid info and a more detailed FAQs section on their KS page.

That is a very reasonable assessment of the kickstarter.  I hope Visionary can provide more information soon that will assuage those types of fears.  I have pledged $45 thus fa, but have not ruled out a $100 or $250 pledge if they can show something more tangible and give me the reason to do so.  Hope to see you on the donor list! Game on!

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    seems like a very generic fantasy mmorpg to me, but if thats what people want then power to them. thats why crowdfunding is interesting.

My blog: image

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

And what great mmorpg are you playing oh wise one? Or are you another one who plays forums more than games?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448

EQ/VG are still some of the best mmorpgs.  No game since then has has as good a group dynamic or classes/races anywhere as good.  Lets hope Pantheon continues with this form.

Also you people couldn't be more wrong as to who is really responsible for Vanguards early failing's.  Jeff Butler was the real evil behind Sigil with his love for WoW. He even said so in a few interviews about Vanguard, everything brad said and did was based on EQ type gameplay, Jeff wanted it to be a casual friendly game as well, so he tried to make VG both as much as he could and in my opinion was "one" of the biggest mistakes, he should have been fired long before Mirco even droped Vanguard. Brad may have squandered time and money, but he did not ruin the vision.

My only disapointment so far with Pantheon is that its not a Seamless open world like Vanguard or Everquest Online Adventures was.