Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79

I promise I'm not being sarcastic asking this, but can someone explain to me why everyone compares this to WoW/Vanilla WoW? 

It was more like GW2 than WoW to me...the only thing that reminded me of WoW was all the yellow exclamation marks and the cartoony style. 

I feel I missed something. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by kiraveli

I promise I'm not being sarcastic asking this, but can someone explain to me why everyone compares this to WoW/Vanilla WoW? 

It was more like GW2 than WoW to me...the only thing that reminded me of WoW was all the yellow exclamation marks and the cartoony style. 

I feel I missed something. 

Hmm, Carbine even acknowledges it looking like WoW.

Art director Matt Mocarski told xxxxxxxxxx that comparisons between Wildstar and World of Warcraft’s art styles are welcome.

“This is me being very sincere. In one part, and even when I think it’s meant as a jab, I actually find it flattering because WoW has been out for nine years now, right? And there’s still people playing it, and it’s still a beautiful game,” he said.

edit: I'm not sure if you met the game in it's entirety or the look. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

lol

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• kiravelikiraveli Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Hmm, Carbine even acknowledges it looking like WoW.

Art director Matt Mocarski told xxxxxxxxxx that comparisons between Wildstar and World of Warcraft’s art styles are welcome.

“This is me being very sincere. In one part, and even when I think it’s meant as a jab, I actually find it flattering because WoW has been out for nine years now, right? And there’s still people playing it, and it’s still a beautiful game,” he said.

edit: I'm not sure if you met the game in it's entirety or the look. 

Ah, I didn't know that about them welcoming the similar WoW art style. I thought everyone meant gameplay-wise it's like WoW. With all the AoE and button mashing it felt way more like GW2. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Nothing will touch WoW.  It came out at the right time, it had great gameplay mechanics for the time of its release and now it is a cultural icon.  Younger kids play it just because they hear about it so much on TV and in conversations.  Blizzard still has its incredible number of subbers for lots of reasons:

1. Many people have max level toons and enjoy the raid content

2. So many people have played and have so many friends from the game that they don't want to leave

3. For many people, it was their first MMO and holds a lot of sentimental value

4. Young kids jump in so they can be cool and figure out what the meme's are all about.  Who was Leroy Jenkins?

5. It has low PC system and internet connection requirements

I think Wildstar will sell around 2 million boxes but due to MMO saturation, the current generations tendency to get bored quick and other factors, I don't see it ever coming close to WoW and I would be surprised if it held on to 1.5 million subs 6 to 8 months after release. 

The times have changed and like it or not, nothing will ever hit the WoW numbers until some game development house reaches down into their pants, grabs their manhood and develops an original game where people can build things, earn a reputation across the entire server and actually influence the gameworld. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

'1. Many people have max level toons and enjoy the raid content"

You will be able to buy 90 level toons anytime you want in WoW.

"2. So many people have played and have so many friends from the game that they don't want to leave"

Most people played, made friends and left anyway. The group of people that played WoW is huge. I heard they have had 60 million or so former players. The people playing now (probably 6 million after next quarter - and half of them overseas) are a very small subset of that group.

"3. For many people, it was their first MMO and holds a lot of sentimental value"

People left EQ anyway..

"4. Young kids jump in so they can be cool and figure out what the meme's are all about. Who was Leroy Jenkins?"

You can watch a video.

"5. It has low PC system and internet connection requirements"

EQ had low requirements too. That didn't save it.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

I think WildStar will keep the subs that it gets. They have done very very minor advertising, like allowing some press to stream, and that alone pushed WildStar from pretty much unknown, to being on the top of the Most Anticipated MMO's of 2014 list.

The game itself looks solid, has a good humor from what has been streamed, and the combat takes more skill than other games.

The only other game out there that catches my eye is that Pantheon game, which I honestly think is what Everquest Next was supposed to be before they scrapped it, and then they bought it from SOE and are finishing it.

Killing dragons is my shit

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Wlidstar is looking pretty good but without a lore as strong and engaging as Warcraft it poses no threat to WoW. Mechanics alone wont hold it for too long and the lore (whether its good or bad, its too comical to compete directly with Warcraft).

Originally posted by Talonsin

Nothing will touch WoW.  It came out at the right time, it had great gameplay mechanics for the time of its release and now it is a cultural icon.  Younger kids play it just because they hear about it so much on TV and in conversations.  Blizzard still has its incredible number of subbers for lots of reasons:

2. So many people have played and have so many friends from the game that they don't want to leave

4. Young kids jump in so they can be cool and figure out what the meme's are all about.  Who was Leroy Jenkins?

I think Wildstar will sell around 2 million boxes but due to MMO saturation, the current generations tendency to get bored quick and other factors, I don't see it ever coming close to WoW and I would be surprised if it held on to 1.5 million subs 6 to 8 months after release. 

The times have changed and like it or not, nothing will ever hit the WoW numbers until some game development house reaches down into their pants, grabs their manhood and develops an original game where people can build things, earn a reputation across the entire server and actually influence the gameworld. 

I think you nailed it here Talonsin. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Talonsin

swtor sold roughly 2.8 mio boxes, with a MASSIVE hype, and a big IP

and you expect wildstar to sell 2 mios?

im guessing roughly 800k boxes, and 400k long term subs

this is a niche game, not a blockbuster

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Who cares how much it sells? You people judge whether or not you'll play it only if it somehow contends with World of Warcraft. No MMO kills other MMOs. Either people lose interest in the game itself, or it continues. There is no competing.
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    Who cares how much it sells? You people judge whether or not you'll play it only if it somehow contends with World of Warcraft. No MMO kills other MMOs. Either people lose interest in the game itself, or it continues. There is no competing.

the devs care..their paycheck depends on it

the mmo market isnt infinite, limited resources=competition

but, i partially agree with your point

if you like the game, play it, and stay FAR away from forums

and, most players do that

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon Who cares how much it sells? You people judge whether or not you'll play it only if it somehow contends with World of Warcraft. No MMO kills other MMOs. Either people lose interest in the game itself, or it continues. There is no competing.
    the devs care..their paycheck depends on it

the mmo market isnt infinite, limited resources=competition

but, i partially agree with your point

if you like the game, play it, and stay FAR away from forums

and, most players do that

Well it also depends on what their development costs are/were. If they dont blow a zillion dollars on advertising and fluff then the game wont need as many sales/players to break even and then earn a profit. And yes, mmo's are pretty good at killing themselves, so Wildstar wont hurt WoW, WoW is doing it well on its own.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Looking at a large number of videos of Wildstar over the past week or so I don't really get the feeling that it brings anything new to the genre.

It looks pretty and it seems fairly smooth playing, although I imagine the combat system and dodging will be annoying playing with an sort of latency.

The questing design seems to be a real let down though.

WoW 2.0 eh? It's quests are still the old school kill x of y style quests with walls of text (disguised by hiding them in smaller block behind pseudo choice dialog options). WoW since Cata has significantly better and more interesting quests.

The world is still a field full of mobs standing around (or occasionally pathing along set paths). i.e. nothing new over what WoW and dozens of other games before and after it have provided.

Yes it has player housing, but that only really satisfies a small number of players and I'm not one of them.

So in the end what does Wildstar off that is new and exciting over WoW?  SWTOR had the voice acted questing + companions. TSW had investigations quests and the no class system. GW2 had your level scaling to the zones and WvW. Wildstar has?

Your quote is a typical canned response to a new themepark game, and it doesn't speak well for you in terms of researching the game you are criticizing.  At this point, I can't go into detail about every little bit of misinformation in your post.  But suffice to say, the reality of Wildstar is completely opposite to how you portray it in some of your points.

As far as innovations, Wildstar is offering a different leveling structure completely independent of adventure leveling with the path system.  Much like Vanguards's diplomacy system worked separately from the levels you gain from adventuring, the path you choose does the same in Wildstar.  It allows people to choose alternate content while they are out in the world, based on how they like to play the game.  Moreover, all the paths work together so that everybody benefits from the path you choose.  Now, anyone saying this isn't innovative simply has their head buried in the sand, or is hating on the game for no reason than to hate.    

And also, while on the subject of "innovation,"  lets also understand that a game doesn't need to be innovative to be successful.  And it doesn't need to be innovative to be a solid game.  Unlike GW2, where ArenaNet tried so hard to do everything so different from a tried-and-true MMO formula, and ended up worse off for it, Carbine is taking the Blizzard approach:  They are taking the good things from games like WoW, making sure they include all the MMO staples, and then improving upon the things from those successful MMOs by sprinkling in their own adjustments.  

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out to make a successful game.  You simply need to make a solid, fun game.   

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Hopefully when Wildstar craters people will finally finally realize that making a game very similar to WoW is a recipe for certain failure not certain profits.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I sure as hell hope not.  I am so sick an tired of developers going the cartoon route and think the game is pathetic looking.  In every aspect minus it being Sci fi is it WoW 2.0.  Have fun with it but I will not be touching it.  It gets under my skin how shitty this game looks and how hyped ppl are over it when in reality its just another WoW type game, even more cartoonish graphics.
  • TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    THE ONLY REASON WOW WILL NOT BE KILLED BY ANY GAME IS, WHO THE HELL WANTS TO START OVER AFTER 10+ YEARS IN A VIDEO GAME THAT'S STILL ACTIVE, GROWING AND EXPANDING?! Also, I want Wildstar to win at least 500K subs a month, that's it. Don't need anymore, just don't have 100000 servers....

RAWR

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'll be trying this game out definitely.  I like the graphics, comedy, and combat looks like the first "action" combat that isn't just hold down a mouse button and press 1-4 lol.  I've played WoW since launch, and only missed like maybe 6 months of total time.  I doubt I'll leave WoW all together, but I'll probably end up playing WoW and Wildstar together, just like I did for Rift from launch to F2P.  It's a shame Rift went F2P, I can't stand the crowd of players that F2P brings, they just annoy me to no end lol.
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Ill consider it a threat to WoW if after half a year of being open they have over 5 million players.  Predicting beforehand is just a waste of effort.
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Looking at a large number of videos of Wildstar over the past week or so I don't really get the feeling that it brings anything new to the genre.

It looks pretty and it seems fairly smooth playing, although I imagine the combat system and dodging will be annoying playing with an sort of latency.

WoW 2.0 eh? It's quests are still the old school kill x of y style quests with walls of text (disguised by hiding them in smaller block behind pseudo choice dialog options). WoW since Cata has significantly better and more interesting quests.

The world is still a field full of mobs standing around (or occasionally pathing along set paths). i.e. nothing new over what WoW and dozens of other games before and after it have provided.

Yes it has player housing, but that only really satisfies a small number of players and I'm not one of them.

So in the end what does Wildstar off that is new and exciting over WoW?  SWTOR had the voice acted questing + companions. TSW had investigations quests and the no class system. GW2 had your level scaling to the zones and WvW. Wildstar has?

Your quote is a typical canned response to a new themepark game, and it doesn't speak well for you in terms of researching the game you are criticizing.  At this point, I can't go into detail about every little bit of misinformation in your post.  But suffice to say, the reality of Wildstar is completely opposite to how you portray it in some of your points.

As far as innovations, Wildstar is offering a different leveling structure completely independent of adventure leveling with the path system.  Much like Vanguards's diplomacy system worked separately from the levels you gain from adventuring, the path you choose does the same in Wildstar.  It allows people to choose alternate content while they are out in the world, based on how they like to play the game.  Moreover, all the paths work together so that everybody benefits from the path you choose.  Now, anyone saying this isn't innovative simply has their head buried in the sand, or is hating on the game for no reason than to hate.    

And also, while on the subject of "innovation,"  lets also understand that a game doesn't need to be innovative to be successful.  And it doesn't need to be innovative to be a solid game.  Unlike GW2, where ArenaNet tried so hard to do everything so different from a tried-and-true MMO formula, and ended up worse off for it, Carbine is taking the Blizzard approach:  They are taking the good things from games like WoW, making sure they include all the MMO staples, and then improving upon the things from those successful MMOs by sprinkling in their own adjustments.  

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out to make a successful game.  You simply need to make a solid, fun game.   

Somewhere in that sentence you should have thrown in an "in my opinion", because imho if there is one thing Anet did do right, it was to get away from the typical quest hub. 

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Considering that every game released in the last ten years not named WoW that has used that formula has failed horribly I would call it a tried-and-true formula for failure.
  • AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by reeereee
    Hopefully when Wildstar craters people will finally finally realize that making a game very similar to WoW is a recipe for certain failure not certain profits.

Actually many of us DO want something similar to WoW, but more like classic WoW or in first expansion, when there was a challenge. These days its just a casual themepark ride game, a mere shadow of its former self. I dont care how similar or different wildstar is from WoW as long as its a) entertaining and b) challenging, both of which are usually lacking in most mmos for some reason.

games , like TSW?

the wow clones might not bring in the big Cash, but they dont shut Down Again, either

and , since the devs keep making them, i guess theyre doing okay

if all the wow clones was in the red numbers, the market would react  IMMEDIATELY

Originally posted by Annekynn

Actually many of us DO want something similar to WoW, but more like classic WoW or in first expansion, when there was a challenge. These days its just a casual themepark ride game, a mere shadow of its former self. I dont care how similar or different wildstar is from WoW as long as its a) entertaining and b) challenging, both of which are usually lacking in most mmos for some reason.

wow didnt grow , because of challenge

if so, harder games , like EVE should be doing better

wow grew , because there was a ton of EASY content

that is why most wow clones fail, they only have casual content for a couple of months

Considering that every game released in the last ten years not named WoW that has used that formula has failed horribly I would call it a tried-and-true formula for failure.

wow is only 8 years old, so...

Count the number of online wow clones

for a losing side, theyre doing pretty well

for failure, look at games , like TSW