Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Laptop

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Hi guys,

I need a new laptop for university use under $850 pre tax, primary specifications are as follows:

- Must be 1080P

- Atleast 120GB SSD

- Screen size, between 13'3 and 15.6 inches

- Haswell Processor

I had already picked out the following laptop, with a $200 off coupon it was $867 with taxes but unfortunately not only did they not ship to Canada (not a problem, can pick up from shipping stores) they wouldn't accept a Canadian credit card. If you guys could find a similarly specced laptop available in Canada or know a way around this, would be greatly appreciated. 

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Spectre/E5J34AV?HP-Spectre-13t-3000-Ultrabook-ENERGY-STAR-

EDIT: Alternatively,  I might just go to BestBuy in US to pick it up where it would be about $1100, is the laptop still a good deal at that price point?

Comments

• AppokAppok Member Posts: 20

Look into chromebooks my buddy picked one up last year and its pretty awesome for $300 and damn quick and its light weight and fast. But i think you always need to be online? to do things?? not to sure, look in to it.

Otherwise look into MSI laptops or Asus i tend to look at www.canadacomputers.com and ncix.com they have great prices for canadians

I hate HP laptops, the battery goes after a year and that was my first laptop and never again will i get HP. So i always go Asus and MSI casue these are gaming grade top of performances.

If you want a SSD you might aswell get yourself a $600 laptop and buy a 120GB SSD or buy one of those hybrid SSD Cache drives and if you want the newer processors look at the 4 series. I.E Intel core i5 4200m

plus that laptop you listed your paying a premium for a SSD for a 13" screen and 4GB  and its $1100 US? thats a major rip off. I'd rather spend $1000 CDN on a gaming grade Laptop.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

What do you need to do on the laptop?  School work?  Gaming?

Have you thought about using a tablet for classes and a better desktop for your home/dorm?

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    I can't use a Chromebook due to software required at my university and the need for Microsoft Office. But yes the primary use is just school work, I already have a gaming rig at home. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

And why exactly do you want those specs?  It's strange to require a particular CPU architecture without any preference on TDP.  And why an Ultrabook, of all the ridiculous devices in the world?

This will meet what you're after without going very far over the budget, though you'll have to adjust the configuration:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2650-clevo-w650sz-p-5843.html?wconfigure=yes

It also offers the benefit of dodging the usual problems that come with Ultrabooks.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

What's wrong with a Canadian credit card?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What's wrong with a Canadian credit card?

The Canadian dollars hiding behind it.  In the U.S. that might as well be monopoly money.

One option would be to exchange the cash and purchase a U.S. pre-paid debit card from MasterCard, Discover or Visa with a balance large enough for the purchase.

Not sure how the warranty would be handled though.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

At that specs and what your considering paying in US at BestBuy, you could go ahead and pull the trigger on a Macbook.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    I fluked out with mine and got a refurbished one and at that price point this will be your best bet to get something that can game decently.  Mine works flawlessly

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)