Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, this is going to be the real "Everquest Next"?

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

From what I've read so far on the kickstarter site, it does appear that this is exactly what they are shooting for.  Since Brad practically invented Everquest, this makes me quite excited!  Going over all the of the details, a lot of terms and throwbacks relate directly to Everquest. 

God I hope this is a new reimagined remake of that wonderful game.  I don't care to have twitch combat or destructible enviroments, or any of this newer technology crap.  I just want a game that's nearly exactly like the old EQ that we all miss.

Comments

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by joeri123
    [mod edit]

Its more than that, this project getting funded well tells publishers that this type of audience still exists and is worthy of making games for.

Not to mention EQ basically started the 3D mmo genre, and Vanguard had excellent game design and systems despite the bad business decisions and technical issues. It still has a better crafting game than practically any mmo on the market and the Diplomacy system and world size are unparalleled.

Thing about the big picture of what this game represents to the Industry as a WHOLE.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

Old schoolers its time to put our money where our mouths are. Nobody is going to make this type of game where it will garner the type of attention due to the name behind it.

If this project fails the industry will chalk this up to these type of games not being wanted. 

And then these type of games will not be made.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Vhayne

From what I've read so far on the kickstarter site, it does appear that this is exactly what they are shooting for.  Since Brad practically invented Everquest, this makes me quite excited!  Going over all the of the details, a lot of terms and throwbacks relate directly to Everquest. 

God I hope this is a new reimagined remake of that wonderful game.  I don't care to have twitch combat or destructible enviroments, or any of this newer technology crap.  I just want a game that's nearly exactly like the old EQ that we all miss.

Pretty much, this will be the game all us EQ vets were hoping EQNext would be. The funding this game gets shows a market SOE may have missed. However I"m sure many, like myself will be playing both. :)

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Maquiame

Originally posted by joeri123 [mod edit]

Its more than that, this project getting funded well tells publishers that this type of audience still exists and is worthy of making games for.

Yeah...you can tell by how fast the kick starter is moving, this 'type' of gamer seems to be the minority, orrrrr people don't want to throw money at someone that has proven they can't handle it. Either way you want to go with it, I can smell a bad investment, and this one REEKS of bad.

Great idea, wrong person driving the train as far as I am concerned.

Your points on VG are solid, and I wish they would just 'modernize' that game and re-release sans the bugs/drama.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Originally posted by Hatefull

Yeah...you can tell by how fast the kick starter is moving, this 'type' of gamer seems to be the minority, orrrrr people don't want to throw money at someone that has proven they can't handle it. Either way you want to go with it, I can smell a bad investment, and this one REEKS of bad.

Your points on VG are solid, and I wish they would just 'modernize' that game and re-release sans the bugs/drama.

For me its an investment in the GENRE of these type of mmos, not an investment in the game itself

Am I willing to invest to see these types of mmoRPG's made again? Absolutely, I want this to do well so others jump on the bandwagon and start making them too.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Originally posted by Hatefull

For me its an investment in the GENRE of these type of mmos, not an investment in the game itself

Am I willing to invest to see these types of mmorpgs made again? Absolutely, I want this to do well so others jump on the bandwagon and start making them too.

I absolutely agree. This isnt even about Pantheon or Brad, this is about showing support for old school mmoRPG virtual worlds.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

No obviously not,he does not have the funding and even with funding,nothing is for certain.

What i saw in VG and the whole EQ series is the same old ,over and over again.

In all the years all i saw were small stat changes and in VG some added additions.

Where Brad needs to improve is to create an entire game that has systems that all feed off each other.This is very hard to explain but think FFXI systems and how everything works together.

First you need to put back the importance of ENJOYING levels,otherwise ,might as well go the Blizzard route and just buy a max level player and loot dungeons all day n night...how very boring.

You need to start with players and creatures all having systems and the ability to work together with spells,abilities that need player>player interaction.Then you create cotnent that has a monetary or reward system to get DIFFERENT gear,items,crafting components.Then you need SKILLS,that means each weapon needs to be skilled up,it deters from speed leveling.You need that slow grind other wise gear is also a waste of time,you will out level it too fast to care.

Player/Mobs need to have properties such as elemental and weapon type properties both for offense and defense.I could gho on and on,bottom line is it takes THOUGHT and EFFORT to make a TRIPLE  A quality game,anyone now days can make another Wow or EQ/EQ2 clone.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Yeah VG was supposed to be Everquest Next as well but ended up being anything but.
    Originally posted by Wizardry

No obviously not,he does not have the funding and even with funding,nothing is for certain.

In all the years all i saw were small stat changes and in VG some added additions.

Where Brad needs to improve is to create an entire game that has systems that all feed off each other.This is very hard to explain but think FFXI systems and how everything works together.

First you need to put back the importance of ENJOYING levels,otherwise ,might as well go the Blizzard route and just buy a max level player and loot dungeons all day n night...how very boring.

You need to start with players and creatures all having systems and the ability to work together with spells,abilities that need player>player interaction.Then you create cotnent that has a monetary or reward system to get DIFFERENT gear,items,crafting components.Then you need SKILLS,that means each weapon needs to be skilled up,it deters from speed leveling.You need that slow grind other wise gear is also a waste of time,you will out level it too fast to care.

Player/Mobs need to have properties such as elemental and weapon type properties both for offense and defense.I could gho on and on,bottom line is it takes THOUGHT and EFFORT to make a TRIPLE  A quality game,anyone now days can make another Wow or EQ/EQ2 clone.

They have devs on the Panthon team who want to impliment FFXI things and are fans of that game

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

They have devs on the Panthon team who want to impliment FFXI things and are fans of that game

Thats good in my opinion cuz FF11 had a lot of good features and was the mmo I played the longest back in the day.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

It is pretty easy actually if you think about it.

• EverquestNext is nothing like EQ1, but tries to capture and copy the FEELING we had back then when playing.
    • Pantheon is trying to straight out copy EQ1 and be a sequel like game that is not dumbed down for soloplay.

Both ways can or can not work. We don't know, i don't even know which will work for myself. Maybe both. Maybe none (would mark my end in MMO gaming). Capturing the feeling is a great idea actually. Even if it is a differend game, i don't mind. IF they can make me have fun like back then, im all happy. Then again, copying EQ1 is a solid and save way as well, since i still play EQ1 and would be all over a fresh version with updated grafics.

Either way we can be happy. Everquest player have been ignored for over 10 years now. And now we have TWO possible new homes in the horizon. What is not to like about it? :-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• UOloverUOlover Member UncommonPosts: 339
    This is definitely going to be the real EverQuest Next. I like that this makes some people unhappy when we say it, remember it only hurts when it's the truth :)
  • DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I would love a good group based pve mmo, but I don't know how much more money I want to give to Mcquaid just to give me another half baked product.  I really hope it works out, I'd love to play well executed title with those ideas in it, but i'll be on the sidelines until a month or two after a smooth release and some good word of mouth this time.

Not all who wander are lost...

Originally posted by Dalanon
    I would love a good group based pve mmo, but I don't know how much more money I want to give to Mcquaid just to give me another half baked product.  I really hope it works out, I'd love to play well executed title with those ideas in it, but i'll be on the sidelines until a month or two after a smooth release and some good word of mouth this time.

I know zero about you but I would wager there is a chance you will waste some of your money between now and 2017 on something else that turned out to be half baked. Yet you'll still spend the money :)

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

for now all these independent companies which have games in development like pantheon, repopulation, shroud of the avatar, camelot unchained or star citizens still have to proof that they can deliver really good games. games which combine the spirit, original philosophy and complexity of old school mmorpgs (before 2005) with modern technology and game mechanics. if (!) they can nail it  and deliver great products, it would be a slap into the face of the most big companies. in particular ea, soe and bethesda, who had or will come up with 200+ million budget games which deliver - at least on paper - not even 50% of game features every single one of the independent games promise to have implemented.

for now we only can wait if the legends (brad, chris, richard and mark) of the video game history, who have all in common that they didn't wanted to take another job in the big companies, can deliver what they promise. and lets remember that three of those developers, who provided a lot of players with a very great gaming experience, had their troubles with the big companies in the past. richard with tabula rase, brad with vanguard and mark with warhammer ... all victims of a too early release and simplified concepts to 'get a piece of the wow crowd'  forced on them by the big publishers/investors (in their case nc, soe and ea).

but for me its the question: do i support a game that had enough money to create a five star menue but delivers a mcdonalds burger or do i invest in independent companies in their attemp to make a five star dish from leftovers?

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

The only thing you are measuring here is money. There's no quality attached to money. Not "leftovers". Money is money, and if enough fans can pool enough money, it's not any worse than what the big companies get.

The big companies have also already failed while having loads of money, and that list of projects is far longer than what you named here. I'd much rather give my money to a failed but passionate game developer, than a publisher who's just lining their pockets making crap with the actual full purpose of making crap.

It's as if SOE and SWG never happened.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Everquest Next will be Everquest Next.

You want Pantheon to be the new Everquest. 

You stay sassy!

Everquest Next will be Next without the Everquest
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Everquest Next will be Everquest Next.

You want Pantheon to be the new Everquest. 

HMmmm

Vanguard was EQ 2.5

Pantheon will be EQ 3 ?

• ace80kace80k Member UncommonPosts: 151

Looks like they made 25k today alone. Not bad at all. Hopefully more people will contribute the closer we get to the final goal date. It's human nature to wait and see how things play out. Brad and Co. just need to keep advertising as much as possible and we as gamers need to keep the message alive here and else where. I just hope Brad is serious about the game because I know many people who are willing to throw their support his way if the developmental process goes well.

edit: looks like they'll make closer to 40k for the day

Sitting on the fence only tells publishers that we are not serious about having these games made for us, support the game and invest.

Its only the future of Real mmoRPG's we are talking about here. About the big picture, support the game folks. Let the industry know that yellow exclamation marks, gear scores and lack of care for the journey, the leveling process needs to be a thing of the past!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

• ConvoConvo Member UncommonPosts: 160
    yea, waiting to see what will happen will only cost you more for alpha invite=p.. So if you're  fan of EQ/VG donate and vote towards a niche MMO a lot of us have been asking for.  If not, well pay attention and hopefully give the game a fair shake when it's released.  They have a good team on this.  I can't wait till the do combat week. They are going to be dropping combat info for a whole week! 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Hopefully they've learned from XI why having a first tag claim system for world spawns is a bad idea.  I really don't feel like playing the $2,000 claiming bot game again.

Gear exclusivity is what made XI great, along with it's class system.  How that exclusivity was achieved was about as terrible as it gets however.

• ClywdClywd Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by ace80k

Looks like they made 25k today alone. Not bad at all. Hopefully more people will contribute the closer we get to the final goal date. It's human nature to wait and see how things play out. Brad and Co. just need to keep advertising as much as possible and we as gamers need to keep the message alive here and else where. I just hope Brad is serious about the game because I know many people who are willing to throw their support his way if the developmental process goes well.

edit: looks like they'll make closer to 40k for the day

Do the math, they Need 20k on average per day. So far they made 40k every day. Seems we will get our next Everquest in 2017 :)

Currently playing: EverQuest
    Waiting for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

You could change out Pantheon for Vanguard and your post would be exactly the kind of thing one would read when that game was in development.  Well minus the Kickstarter stuff.

Brad has quite a cult of personality built up behind him which if nothing else guarantees a successful Kickstarter.  

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    Originally posted by udon

You could change out Pantheon for Vanguard and your post would be exactly the kind of thing one would read when that game was in development.  Well minus the Kickstarter stuff.

Brad has quite a cult of personality built up behind him which if nothing else guarantees a successful Kickstarter.  

Yeah I rode on the coattails of Vanguard since it was announced.  I was in beta, and I knew for quite a while the game has serious problems.  While it was okay in some areas, some other areas were drastically different.  Still you had a system that was much like WoW.  At the time, that was a good thing, and all we could hope for was a mixture of WoW and EQ1.  But we all know how it turned out. 

If the bugs in that game had been squashed before or soon after release, and it had gained many many subscribers, I personally feel it would have succeded by far.  There were some great concepts in it.  I remember playing a Psionicist (I think that's what it was called), and was able to kite (finally kiting again!!!) multiple mobs at once.  It's the closest any game has come to the old systems of EQ1.  It was just....broken.

Pantheon might be just like Vanguard.  A huge hope, and a gigantic flop.  But if a game can give me back the systems, and dynamics of EQ1, I would be all over it.  You can't just go back to EQ now.  The game has changed far too much.