Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the summation of all that is wrong with mmo's?

Comments

• VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    gw2 is a contentless mmo to me, in that it has no depth. You have to enjoy grind and little story things they release every now and then. Theirs no real endgame in it and the build system is so mediocre. Guildwars 1 was perfect in how they gave you so much customzation idk why they wen't the opposite direction in guildwars 2. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

For me it absolutley is the cherry on top of the Gimme-Bear , Care-Bear , X-Box generation that wants every thing handed to them ...

Terrible Class and Skills ...

Terrible quest system ....

Terrible Crafting .....

Terrible WvW ....

Terrible Character Progression...

Terrible Economy....

Just a plain bad MMO in every conceivable way, and lets hope it hasnt set the genre back 5 years .....

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by LittleBoot
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Amateurish story, horrible rectangular areas; short term distraction rather than long term immersion; trivial quests; pathetic puzzles; jack of all, master of none classes; fast travel that is so ubiquitous as to render any sense of a world redundant.  And then compound it all by rolling out amateurish living stories rather than fixes, dlc's, patches or expansions (which they could charge for).  

Is GW2 the summation of all that went wrong with mmo's since 2004?  

No matter how much you or i dislike the game fact is that a lot of people are still playing it and ANET is making profit and going forward with development. If it was really as bad as you say then it would have crashed and burned a long time ago.

I too didn't last long in GW2 but that doesn't mean GW2 is summation of all that is wrong with MMOS. You are exaggerating .

haha, where's the fun in posting moderate, objective comments? 

This just sums most posts on these forums, ppl dont try to have discussion, they just  troll and flame.

Amateurish story, horrible rectangular areas; short term distraction rather than long term immersion; trivial quests; pathetic puzzles; jack of all, master of none classes; fast travel that is so ubiquitous as to render any sense of a world redundant.  And then compound it all by rolling out amateurish living stories rather than fixes, dlc's, patches or expansions (which they could charge for).  

No matter how much you or i dislike the game fact is that a lot of people are still playing it and ANET is making profit and going forward with development. If it was really as bad as you say then it would have crashed and burned a long time ago.

I too didn't last long in GW2 but that doesn't mean GW2 is summation of all that is wrong with MMOS. You are exaggerating .

There are many Bad Free games out there that make a profit GW2 is just another one of the crowd .. If it charged a sub many would run from it ...

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Scorchien

There are many Bad Free games out there that make a profit GW2 is just another one of the crowd .. If it charged a sub many would run from it ...

But it doesn't and they don't.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Awwwww,

Now you've gone and done it!

You just had to go and swat the bee's nest with a broomstick!

Luckily the bees don't expect much and tend to lose interest rather quickly.  I agree'd with the OP but this post will shift as all the others do, into some vaporware thread basket.  Folks that play those games don't care about depth and quality.  They might bs themselves or here and say there's some quality to their entertainment, sadly forgetting that it doesn't matter.  If they enjoy the game then fine.  I know I don't but that's my deal, I guess.

It's awesome when you think everyone should like the same things as you do...

But just to satisfy my curiousity, what "depth" do other mmorpgs have?

I've played a lot of mmorpgs and I started playing them since I was a kid but I yet have to find an mmorpg that did everything right and has every element in it set so that everyone likes it.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yeah, but guild wars 2 IS NOT another FREE game out there. You actually have to pay for it in order to play, so I guess that doesn't make the game so bad since everyone who's playing it did pay.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I've never played this game, but I didn't like the first one at all.  It was completely instanced and I didn't like the classes/skills or the way the world was laid out.  I did watch some videos of it and it looked a lot like the new Elder Scrolls MMO combat wise.  I'm not a big fan of the auto target system.  If it's turn based might as well stick with either point and click or tab targeting.  I don't like these half turn based half FPS systems.  I'd rather have one or the other.  It doesn't appear true FPS in an MMO is possible at this point.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Absolutely, without repeating everything you typed, its why that game only kept me interested for about 30 days.  It makes WoW look like EvE.

Everything quick travel.

Everything instanced

Meaningless crafting unless its for yourself, which is basically meaningless in an MMO, (play a singleplay game if that's all you care about.)

Auto leveling in PvP

Auto down leveling in zones

Cash Shop

No open world PvP servers

Real cash completely drives the economy

No roles, no class specialization, everyone fits in every role, grab whoever is standing around and ZERG

Every fight is just a ZERG, die run back until Boss is dead

No need to communicate with another human ever to get things done, everything is kind of on auto pilot

No penalty for death

etc

etc

etc

Originally posted by goboygo

Absolutely, without repeating everything you typed, its why that game only kept me interested for about 30 days.  It makes WoW look like EvE.

Everything quick travel.

Everything instanced

Meaningless crafting unless its for yourself, which is basically meaningless in an MMO, (play a singleplay game if that's all you care about.)

Auto leveling in PvP

Cash Shop

No roles, no class specialization, everyone fits in every role, grab whoever is standing around and ZERG

No need to communicate with another human ever to get things done, everything is kind of on auto pilot

No penalty for death

etc

etc

etc

You don't have to do the first thing on your list. Why does everyone think that is such a big deal? If there wasn't quick travel the first thing on the list is "I can't quick travel". 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    OP nailed it.  Guild Wars 2 bored me to tears, $80 down the drain for me.  Only made it to level 11 on one character.  I did like the first one though.  I can't find anything modern of substance so I just went back to EQ 1 and am having fun again in an MMO :).
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Everything quick travel.

Everything instanced

Auto leveling in PvP

Cash Shop

No penalty for death

etc

etc

etc

You don't have to do the first thing on your list. Why does everyone think that is such a big deal? If there wasn't quick travel the first thing on the list is "I can't quick travel". 

That fact that ANYONE can quick travel removes people from areas of the map instantly they don't have to travel around the world, nobody is every running past you, it makes the game world empty and also blows immersion out the window.  There are other reasons but I didn't plan on having to explain the negative effects each GW2  "feature" has on the immersion and longevity of an MMO.  These things basically turn the game into a borefest.  No challenge, no immersion, no community, game almost plays itself.

Originally posted by korent1991

Yeah, but guild wars 2 IS NOT another FREE game out there. You actually have to pay for it in order to play, so I guess that doesn't make the game so bad since everyone who's playing it did 

lol yes it is .. big deal you buy the client first .. but f2p after .. same thing ..

Originally posted by Amjoco

Everything quick travel.

Everything instanced

Auto leveling in PvP

Cash Shop

No penalty for death

etc

etc

etc

That fact that ANYONE can quick travel removes people from areas of the map instantly they don't have to travel around the world, nobody is every running past you, it makes the game world empty and also blows immersion out the window.  There are other reasons but I didn't plan on having to explain the negative effects each GW2  "feature" has on the immersion and longevity of an MMO.  These things basically turn the game into a borefest.  No challenge, no immersion, no community, game almost plays itself.

I think you kind of missed my point. You can't please everyone. Without fast travel the people that like it can't use it at all because its not there of course, but for those that don't like it simply don't use it. 

Your use of the word immersion here makes no sense, since the world you play in has the ability to use portals. They were put there by an immersive race in the world. The Asura have lore and part of it are the portals. /shrug

Thats about all I'm saying on this because to me it makes sense.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    A person who has already stated several times that he doesn't like the game has to start a new topic to tell us he doesn't like the game.  How interesting. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Too funny, yet so true. After my 3 weeks of GW2, I bought Pandaria after being away from WoW for two years. I was blown away how "complex" my Warlock was compared to my GW2 Necro. I was so blown away I played Pandaria to 90 and even did dailies to get my pvp gear lmao! 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

To me and the couple of real life friends that picked it up at release it was a good casual MMO to spend a couple of months in. I had fun with the game and do not regret the purchase, I played enough to easily justify the box price.

After a couple of months everyone I know and my entire guild moved on. Great fun short term but no lasting appeal basically. I still pop in from time to time and play a few hours, but that pretty much it. Not one person in my guild still plays.

Not bashing it as I did enjoy playing for that short time and may even go back for a few months if they released an expansion. A game does not have to be years and years of constant playtime to be considered good to me. If I enjoy it an have fun for however long I play it then I am happy.

Dont get me wrong I am still waiting for an MMO that keeps me entertained for a long period of time, but casual MMOs have their place as well I think.

Just my 2cp

Originally posted by rodingo
    A person who has already stated several times that he doesn't like the game has to start a new topic to tell us he doesn't like the game.  How interesting. 

Masochist!!!

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    No, but your hyperbole is pretty close.....

haha no hyperbole used.   In fact not even close, it might have been slightly emotive if we are going to use kindergarten terms.  But hyperbolic it certainly was not.  

• Hyperbole is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally. 

I guess the term is based on your perspective.... this post is very hyperbolic to me and a waste of time. Also I do not think Kindergarteners even know how to say the word let alone know what it means.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Everything quick travel.

Everything instanced

Auto leveling in PvP

Cash Shop

No penalty for death

etc

etc

etc

You played 30 days?  Wow!  I couldn't bare to log in after 2 weeks and apologized to my wife for wasting money.  The game bored me to death!  It was the shortest time span playing any game for me.  I even played WoW for 2 months and I hate that game with a passion.  I do like the idea of no trinity but the execution just sucks and does turn combat into a Zerg.  Not to mention that the only times I died in combat were due to me trying to because it seemed I never would unless I tried.  

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

While GW2 is far from perfect, it's still the best MMO on the market currently.

So my answer to the OP's question is a resounding "no".

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I loved GW1 and even after I rarely played PVE anymore, I kept playing PVP in GW1 (mostly GvG). During GW2 development I was psyched about it. I was a real fan of Arenanet. They could not do anything wrong imo. Actually, it is the last MMO in development I think that really got me hyped about it.

I think that the world in GW2 looks awesome , I really like its visual style. The combat is also quite nice. Although I would prefer it to be even more twitchbased then it is now. But for a MMO it is fun combat.

I don't like the achievement craze though. It is as if everything  is tied to some achievement bar, which makes the game feel very gimmicky to me. I never cared for them either when they were introduced to GW1 at some point. But in GW2 they just went over the top.

Another thing that bugs me is the levelling. I can't bring myself to lvl another toon. Too few character progression for that many lvls imo. It is as at some point they decided to double the amount of lvls without changing character progression.

Then there are the mobs. I hate undead. Not because they are scary or difficult. They are just overdone. Every bloody game nowadays seems to be about some kind of zombie apocalypse. BOOOOOORIIINNGGG! I really hate their sounds. It is as if you are chased by a herd of cows. Muuuhhh Muhhhh. Not to mention that before I stopped playing GW2, the endzones were just annoying to get through. Just an endless 'snare,knock down, root' cycle when going from one point to the next.

Then the story. Meh. I never finished my personal story. My personal area in the starting city was meh. They also never did anything new with it, even though they talked about how this was only the beginning. Living story updates, meh. I was waiting for new features, not more quests. Where are the guildhalls for example? Why is there no talk about a housing system anymore? Also, some of the main cities are just way too large for the few amount of activities that can be done.

In short, there is a lack of virtual world in GW2 for me. Meaningful activities next to the typical themepark PVE/PVP. I was hoping that GW2 would be continuation of GW1 but then in an oldschool virtual world. But GW2 just is too gimmicky achievement bars based with meh character progression and loading screens. Nice graphics though. The combat, fun for a MMO, is just not enough to keep me interested.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tom_gore

While GW2 is far from perfect, it's still the best MMO on the market currently.

So my answer to the OP's question is a resounding "no".

Are saying what he said is not true, or are you saying you like the aspects he criticized? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    No, but your hyperbole is pretty close.....

I laughed :))

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

you can easily find a huge number of new and old mmos that are way closer to that asumption than GW2.

But hey, thats OK. The game isnt for you.

This discussion has been closed.