Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Worst MMOs of 2013

Comments

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98

Well I raised my hand to playing MMOs because they are sexy, but I'm not a 13 year old boy, I'm a 20-something woman. Way to make assumptions, mmorpg.com. Just because I like boobies doesn't mean I am automatically a horny teenage male.

While I will agree Scarlet Blade had repetitive combat, that is what made the game bad, not the breasts or the skimpy outfits. I think it's more sexist to be so offended by the female form that you rate a game down simply because it has breasts in it.

Also I quite enjoyed the story of Scarlet Blade, I don't really know what you mean by "boring". The story was super funny, I was actually really surprised. A lot of the story was just them making fun of themselves, cursing, funny things, typical funny anime situations basically, but a bit more "adult". It's not a game for kids, but you could have just said that instead of saying "I don't like this game it has breasts". What's wrong with breasts? What are you, some kind of sexist?

I'm getting real tired of your hatred for boobies mmorpg.com, what did boobies ever do to you?
  • ogreslayerogreslayer Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by orbitxo

agree with Dust 514.

sadly dont think theres no turning back on that one eh?...

Too many mistakes. Was a shame and a major blight on CCPs image.

Everyone thought the PS3 was an issue... Sadly that was the least of them

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Neverwinter should be on that list for showing us the depths to which the once great MMORPG genre has sunk. Cartoony graphics, clunky linear gameplay and all the while trying to pick your pocket while you play. It's an insult to MMORPGs and D&D/Forgotten Realms fans.

Agreed, having played some of these games I think Neverwinter should be on this list. For those saying Neverwinter is the new D&D game I have to say lol.

Neverwinter does not target D&D fans and most left during betas or after a month of two of sad foundry junk.

Neverwinter is THE GAME that has convinced me to never ever play another Cryptic  or PW game again.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    FFXIV a realm reborn is not on the list why?
  • toastngravytoastngravy Wizard 101 CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 80
    Originally posted by remsleep

Oh wait Infestation Survivor Stories is War Z?

Ah OK Ive actually played that - oh yes it was downright dreadful. 

I didn't realize it got renamed.

Ugh.

All that means is their plan worked..

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561
    pretty sure final fantasy 14 a realm reborn needs to be added to this list

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by karmath

No mention of the swtor? The fastest game to go ftp from a sub model ever and had to have content post launch cut because the engine lagged so horribly? Eh, dem advertising monies I suppose.

It's not on this list because it wasn't released in 2013. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with advertising dollars. *facepalms*

Also compared to this list SWTOR is the messiah of online gaming.  I mean really, we get it.  You were disappointed with SWTOR, or it wasn't the game you wanted it to be, but to claim that it comes anywhere near the epic badness of the games listed in this column is laughable and complete trolling.

Try to be a little bit objective guys.  Blind hatred just makes you look foolish.  

Well, if you want to be objective... then how about comparing money to development.

See what certain amounts can accomplish, and see which team is more resourceful.

I have a feeling, that asian companies are more resourceful and effecient for the amount put in... to bad it cant deliver story to the western market without some outside input. It seems that MMO companies would benefit from out sourcing to asian developers, which is a shame since the west has vets in the genre, but money is a huge factor.

However, on the flip side, ppl in the west are generous and do have the money... hence kick starter. Case in point, Star Citizen, and the more money they have the more they can develop for launch.

So money is a key variable. And, I would say that swtor is a great game for a first time play through, but seriously lacks retention with very slow development. The only new things that were added as expansions was one planet/area with no class stories but faction ones and gsf. That is over a two year period. Yes they had many updates of more of the same... but a game with a huge budget, and continuous huge revenue should be able to do a lot more than that when they have so many years of experience with their engine... unless of course the problem is a bit more serious than one should anticipate, and they are effecient but are working on a sinking ship, aka a broken engine. 

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• vieplis666vieplis666 Member Posts: 33

You miss like hundred games,  generic asian mmos.

And firefall, complicated awkward crafting system killed that game.

• HolloowHolloow Member Posts: 4
    i will add all the mmorpg exit in 2013 are a fail.......RvR is a fail....Siege without end ARE a Fail....whenever someone force to nonsense a content well this is a fail.....I ll add also lot of game that will exit in 2014 .....
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    How DUST514 is higher then Scarlet BLade on the list? Dust might be not a masterpiece, still a solid shooter. While Scarlet Blade is pathetic shame of genre.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    My first question is how many players are still playing these MMOs? My second question is how many players are still playing MMOs that were in the list for 'best MMOs of 2013'? My final question is, if we are not playing them now, what's the difference?
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Tuchaka

I am seriously waiting for the first person that works here to admit this genre is on life support and nothing good has happened in a really long time, yes i have left my house recently i am serious. I honestly feel like mugatu from zoolander when he is screaming about crazy pills because all of derek's looks are exactly like blue steel.

The worst MMO's and the best MMO's might as well be the same list its a bunch of wow clones that had to go F2P or they would be gone (yunno start with a subscription ) you get a bunch of people that wanna try out the 'new' game you start winning awards even though your population is dwindling, then you offer free mounts and hats or something......

Then you have the indie project's which many of us are getting all hyped up about and are always disappointed because they never live to to the hype etc.

MMO's cost too much to make hence why nothing innovative is going on...i could freeze myself in time and come back in 5 years and nothing will have changed.

Agreed here

That's why i feel paying monthly for any of these games now is a waste of my money. I'VE been playing them since 99/2000 and they are all Everquest in different skins. And anyone that doesn't see this are on crazy pill's. Even the new games coming out are nothing new. Someone said they thought it was stupid that anyone would play f2p games that were not the f2p options that the AAA games offer. That's so lame because those games are only f2p with restrictions. So they don't give you a full game to play unless you spend money. Again more crazy pills at work.  The real f2p games may not be what some call AAA but some of them are fun and that seems to be lost on most people that post here. And a lot of them are starting to look better than alot of the so called AAA game's. And forget about gameplay They are all Everquest remember.

• deerstopdeerstop Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I cried tears of blood over Ragnarok 2 :( BUGS BUGS BUGS

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

There are 30 more just as bad if not worse on the virus all the little kids call STEAM! (yo dog, I thought you'd like a launcher to launcher your game, while looking for more games while you're launching your games)

Such garbage. All the greenlight crap is well..crap and if you're a desperate company, you go steam. If you're game is failing after youve spent millions, it goes to steam. For a steep discount.

The top games, won't ever be found on steam. Period.

This list, is on point. all garbage. Reminds me of these horrible knock off movies that people make. Why waste 4 mos of your life making a shit movie that was already done, 100x better and hit the theatre? Why? It's embarrasing.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Kinda amusing how almost every single one of those games are from Asia

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• jogumbyjogumby Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by jogumby
    Given their recent ad on this site, it appears League of Angels aspires to be the Scarlet Blade of 2014!

:)

Just curious do you guys actually pick and chose which Ad space you sell to who?  Or do you just sell it in an open forum, and who ever buys it can put what ever they want?  I know sites can go either way, was just curious how you guys sold your Ad space.

Goes by who pays to do so. No other criteria that I've seen

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Haven't heard of any of these games except Dust514 and I expected that one to be a failure the moment the devs announced it wasn't coming out for the PC. C'mon CCP, EVE is a 100% PC game and then you follow it up with a console exclusive tie-in? What the hell

Also not a shocker that CCP managed to make another game with dull gameplay. They seem to be masters at the art of dullness

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by dancingstar
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by karmath

No mention of the swtor? The fastest game to go ftp from a sub model ever and had to have content post launch cut because the engine lagged so horribly? Eh, dem advertising monies I suppose.

Actually I thought the Secret World beat them on fastest.  Granted at the time SWTOR went F2P it may have been fastest by TSW went F2P the following month and they released a few months after SWTOR if I remember correctly.

TSW lasted < 6 months as sub only (start of July 2012 to 12.12.12) but it isn't F2P, you still have to actually buy the base game in order to play it. 

Also TSW was a more earnest effort in making an interesting MMO

TOR was a lazy and greedy cash grab that didn't pay off in the end like EA thought it would

Tor was by no means a lazy cash grab, remember EA invested 750,000,000 dollars in buying Bioware and then roughly another 200,000,000 dollars producing that garbage known as SWTOR. This game truly shows that more money does not mean a better title.

Also add the $150,000,000 marketing etc budget.

But kind of moot as swtor released 2012 not 2013

(Also i think ea paid more than 800mil for bioware)

Originally posted by Krighton

There are 30 more just as bad if not worse on the virus all the little kids call STEAM! (yo dog, I thought you'd like a launcher to launcher your game, while looking for more games while you're launching your games)

Such garbage. All the greenlight crap is well..crap and if you're a desperate company, you go steam. If you're game is failing after youve spent millions, it goes to steam. For a steep discount.

The top games, won't ever be found on steam. Period.

This list, is on point. all garbage. Reminds me of these horrible knock off movies that people make. Why waste 4 mos of your life making a shit movie that was already done, 100x better and hit the theatre? Why? It's embarrasing.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment(don't forget the inbuilt mal/spyware in steamworks)

Steam now has such a large market share(probably not far off an effective monopoly) that companies no longer really have a choice but to try and launch on steam.

Originally posted by Gruug
    Originally posted by Raventree
    I'm bummed to see Dust 514 on there.  The concept was so fantastic and revolutionary that I really was hoping for something great from CCP.  I considered buying a PS3 just to play, until the reviews started coming in.  They could save this one with some big changes, but it seems very unlikely they would scale back the buy to win and inject some better graphics and fun into this one.

It might have worked better had they decided to put it on PC instead of console.

+1

• Lam3zorLam3zor Member UncommonPosts: 48

really disagree with wizardry online being on this list.

sure, it is repeatitive just like many more mmorpgs we have all played(if not most of them), but gameplay and mechanics-wise i had enjoyed it far more than many other games i played in recent years.

when i finally stopped playing(about a month ago. and this is the only time i'm not sure ill come back) it was because it seems SOE really cares nothing for it leading to a far too small player base. heck, most if not all publicity for this game is done by the community. in the time after this game was released the only articles i've noticed on any site that dealt with it were biased or "why am i being forced to play this" reviews where the game was smacked for not having "next gen graphics" or "being too hard"(i mean honestly getting gold isnt at all as hard as described once you reach level 8, and even as a solo mage,which is the hardest class to start out with in this game, i could go as far as the 5th dungeon purely on my own). 

its a gem that was stashed away in someone's torn pocket and ended up falling threw a sewage drain.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally
    posted by SBFord

Originally posted by karmath No mention of the swtor? The fastest game to go ftp from a sub model ever and had to have content post launch cut because the engine lagged so horribly? Eh, dem advertising monies I suppose.  
    It's not on this list because it wasn't released in 2013. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with advertising dollars. *facepalms*
      Also compared to this list SWTOR is the messiah of online gaming.  I mean really, we get it.  You were disappointed with SWTOR, or it wasn't the game you wanted it to be, but to claim that it comes anywhere near the epic badness of the games listed in this column is laughable and complete trolling. Try to be a little bit objective guys.  Blind hatred just makes you look foolish.  
    Well to be fair SWTOR did have some of the shittiest game-play due to so many bugs and glitches within the game. Making some classes nearly worthless. When they finally fixed everything the game went F2P and is now just a cash shop to milk the remaining cash cows.
    What bugs and glitches? I've played since the second week of beta and I'm calling bull on this one. Yes, there were some but not that many. There will ALWAYS be some, no matter which game we are talking about. Most games are still fixing bugs and glitches many years after the game is released. 

Originally posted by Tuchaka

I am seriously waiting for the first person that works here to admit this genre is on life support and nothing good has happened in a really long time, yes i have left my house recently i am serious. I honestly feel like mugatu from zoolander when he is screaming about crazy pills because all of derek's looks are exactly like blue steel.

The worst MMO's and the best MMO's might as well be the same list its a bunch of wow clones that had to go F2P or they would be gone (yunno start with a subscription ) you get a bunch of people that wanna try out the 'new' game you start winning awards even though your population is dwindling, then you offer free mounts and hats or something......

Then you have the indie project's which many of us are getting all hyped up about and are always disappointed because they never live to to the hype etc.

MMO's cost too much to make hence why nothing innovative is going on...i could freeze myself in time and come back in 5 years and nothing will have changed.

That is the single truest post I've seen on this forum in along time. 

---------------------------------------

As a separate issue from the above posts.... I really think its time to consider AAA games and games from AAA developers as separate from browser games. They are not remotely the same creature. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Seems like they should have crucified some of the bigger names rather than going after the small niche games but it is what it is......Wizardry online was the one I played the most and yeah it was flat out awful......Scarlet Blade we all knew was a total joke so it should be on the list.....THe one I thought should be there too is NEverwinter.....That game should have been alot better.
  • TaiyohTaiyoh Member UncommonPosts: 48
    While I agree with most of these on the list, I really am growing tired of World of Warcraft always being used as a way to say games are bad, like it's a bad game itself.
  • 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

The list is missing Final Fantasy XIV and Neverwinter.

And while the "best of" list was filled with games that were released years ago, here we get padding via random faceless asia grinders. At least put SOME work into them.