Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Landmark: Georgeson Recommends 64-Bit OS for Alpha

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dave Georgeson has recommended that EverQuest Next: Landmark alpha testers use a 64-bit operating system due to the game not yet being optimized. The statement was made via Georgeson's Twitter account.

Hey #EQN Trailblazers! Heads-up. 64-bit OS is highly suggested for Alpha. 64-bit lets us access all your memory. Alpha isn't optimized yet.

— David Georgeson (@DaveGeorgeson) January 17, 2014

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I doubt many people dropped $100 to alpha test a game that are still  on a 32bit os, however I am sure there are some.
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

"64-bit lets us access all your memory"

Now theres a scary thought from sony :P

In regards to the post, Don't quite understand how 64 bit actually helps the problem.. if memory leaks, a crash just occurs faster on a 32 bit system, if they are just being over generous (or sloppy) with memory in general that doesn't sound like a good engine foundation either.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

They can access ALL my memory?

That should be REALLLLY eye-opening for them...

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    what serious gamer is still on an x32 mobo or OS? a few years ago i could still see that happening. but at this point if you are paying to get into the alpha of a game in 2014, you'd best be prepared to play that game.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Ok done What else do need my new corporate masters

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

"64bit lets us access all your memory" Hmm... NSA are at it again. lol

Will be a bit awkward for the unfortunate person who lashed out $100+ for alpha with only 32bit system.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    If they are going to access all my memory, then tell me where the hell I put my keys!
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by reillan

They can access ALL my memory?

That should be REALLLLY eye-opening for them...

Good, because I can't access all my memory. I forgot so much!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Fair enough. Now you let Georgeson know that I recommend he get a hair cut... Damn hippie...
  • bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Does anyone game with a 32bit OS gaming rig anymore? I doubt it.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Because a PC gaming company that can collect metrics on their player base clearly made that statement for the 0 people who still game on 32 bit OS systems... c'mon son.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ShadowVlicanShadowVlican Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by nttajira

got a 32bit OSs and it work fine and im also running ALL GAME at max setting

2013 or 2014

why the fuck would i need to change it ?? other that get more ram from my window ??

and people stop act like everyone got ultra good gaming computer

50% of every computer run window xp....

No, no you don't.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by nttajira

got a 32bit OSs and it work fine and im also running ALL GAME at max setting

2013 or 2014

why the fuck would i need to change it ?? other that get more ram from my window ??

and people stop act like everyone got ultra good gaming computer

50% of every computer run window xp....

That's why.

Playing all games on max settings with only 2 gb ram? Doubt it in the near future. Apart from that, Dave just twittered that he was wrong in suggesting 64bit OS... since it is actually REQUIRED ;-)

So no EQL Alpha with Windows XP, sorry. Gotta get with the times and upgrade.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    ye, no one uses 32 bit anymore

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

About 21% of steam users still use x32 windows Operating systems.   6% of that are people on XP 32.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The total 4 gig memory a 32 bit system can deliver is a problem now. SOE do tend to make games for the average to high computers and just the textures will be quite a bit.

Those 4 gigs is for both ram and graphics memory and since games constantly use more memory it is a no-brainer that eventually will all new PC games be for 64 bits system.

Sure, you can still make a good 32 bit system with a new fast CPU and a good graphics card but the question is why you should. And it is more work to make a game run both fine which could be used to optimize the 64 bits experience instead.

If you have an old computer you should avoid a SOE game anyways, there are some companies that focus on using less resources (which tend to make the game look more dated though even if good art can help you out to some degree).

My advice to 32 bit users that are interested in this game is that it is time to upgrade anyways, get W7 64 bits and while you are at it add some more ram. If you can't afford it you will very soon be very limited in what games you can play even if you still can run most games fine right now.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

For gaming (and in general in my opinion), you should even upgrade to windows 8.1

There i said it. I hated the win 8 design and was happy with my windows 7. But i had to redo my system anyways and wanted to give it a try. Boy am i glad i did that. System booting in less then 10 seconds, and about everything is running WAY smoother now.

As for ram: How much are 8 gb ram nowadays? 60 bucks? less? Noone gaming should have less then 8. No need to invest 300 bucks in a grafic card and then skip ram. Way to many people do this.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?