Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Living Story VS. Expansion, Fight!

124»

Comments

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by sketocafe
    One of the big arguments for GW2 at release was the B2P model would be good for taking breaks and coming back later to see all the changes since you stopped playing. It kind of sucks when that simply isn't possible with the content changes they've made.

How is it not possible?

• randal2143randal2143 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

WoW...I could be the only person on this site that likes the living story. I'd like to see an expansion and a Holy Trinity -  but some of the Living expansions have been a ton of fun - no joke. I suggest people go back and check out the Scarlet invasion finale coming up.

I really liked the tower of nightmares and the gauntlet event. Those were pretty nice too. I am impressed with Arenanet ability to put out content cheaply and yet still find it pretty good.

When you consider WoW has ten times the budget to work with - and puts out less between expansions.

Umm wrong. WoW takes what 2-3 months to add the first new raid to an expansion. That's usually 1-2 reps to grind. Anywhere from 6-10 bosses. Maybe 1-2 mounts. Sometimes whole new area's on a Continent and almost 100 pieces of gear if you think about it. If it took WoW a year to put that out, it's still more content than gw2 puts out with the living story in the same time period. If you add in the expansion pack it's in that time period, it blows gw2 out of the water. Granted they make a lot more money, but the devs over at blizz know how to make end game content that actually feels meaningful. All gw2 has going for it is spiffy graphics and the most innovative combat system that's ever been implemented in an mmo. It's just too bad i can't use that combat system to down an actual challenging boss for loot that's worth a damn.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Sure.

But one can level to 80 in GW2 without having touched half the game.

If one wants to grind there is loads of grinding available.

Why would you want to though? The world isn't that interesting (most zones are very similar to each other only really differeing in which set of baddies populate them) and you get very little if any progression after level 60. So it would be literal grind for nothing. Sorry if I want to play a game just for the fun gameplay I can think of many I'd choose before GW2. People play MMOs for a sense of progression, as much as I rag on Blizzard, even they understand that but ANet doesn't seem to.

And in a game like WoW most zones are crazy different by comparison?

Anet understand that people that want the kind of game you are talking about are already playing that type of game.

Then there is a set of people that are interested in something different.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I never felt ANY interest in the living story. *shrug* I tried some, but I always found it utterly boring. It builds on stuff you have to know about, so if you missed an "episode", good luck knowing what the heck is going on. The descriptions what to do are mostly vague. On top I missed a lot because some of it vanishes after a time.

I am all for real new areas with new "quests", new continents, new races and classes, the usual mumbojumbo you'd expect from Expansions.

I profoundly dislike the Living Story thing.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Recklan
    Originally posted by reaperuk
    Originally posted by nttajira

people wanted some kind of f2p ?? you got it !!! now you are not happy they dont work on it ??

they would do it for free ??

you think they will work and add actual contents based on charity ? guild war 2 got a okay cash shop but not one who require the player to buy from it all the time,so im guessing they get not that much money from it......

you guy wanted FREE TO PLAY ? well you got it, but they are not working for add contents because no one work for free...

back to my P2P game i guess 

Funny. As far as I recall, expansions have always been paid for in every game I've played whether p2p, f2p or btp . I'd be interested to know which p2p game you play gives away it's full expansions?

EVE Online.

IMHO (without realy wanting to bash this game) EVE is just a floating spaceship and excell sheets, not a game.

isn't there MTA in EVE also?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by oubers 

IMHO (without realy wanting to bash this game) EVE is just a floating spaceship and excell sheets, not a game.

isn't there MTA in EVE also?

That's a pretty dumb thing to say. You compete against others according to a ruleset, thus its a game, by definition. And EVE has never charged anything other than a subscription. All content is included.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

As if it has to be Living Story or Expansion.

It is Living Story AND Expansion.

1 year without an expansion the tragedy!

WoW - 2004.

The Burning Crusafe - 2007.

Where's the announcement of an expansion.. Its been nearly 17 months since release.

Ultima Online 1997 - The Second Age 1998

Everquest 1999 - Ruins of Kunark 2000

EvE Online 2003 - Castor 2003

Everquest 2 2004 - Desert of Flames 2005 (after 2 adventure packs)

Lineage 2 2003 - The Chaotic Chronicle 2004

Dark Age Of Camelot 2001 - The Shrouded Isle 2002

Lord of the Rings Online 2007 - Mines of Moria 2008

DDO 2006 - Four full modules (expanded permanent content) 2006

Rift 2011 - Storm Legion 2012

Why did you pick WoW?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    not everybody likes Week long content  some actually prefer stuff they can do and work towards for longer then a week honestly i think this living story crap is not gonna cut it
  • jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

The living story is pretty "meh" to me.  I will do it on occasion, but most of the time I will be in a dungeon, WvW or SPvP.

No traditional hard trinity is fine for me.  My only problem is with the people who only do speed runs in all berserker gear cuz I can never keep up.

The only thing I want is a new WvW season.  And maybe some variation in SPvP game types.

• jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Originally posted by Calerxes

WoW - 2004.

Where's the announcement of an expansion.. Its been nearly 17 months since release.

Why did you pick WoW?

I think his point was that some people are bemoaning the lack of an expansion after a year in GW2 when WoW didn't come out with an expansion for 3 years.

• warzogwarzog Member Posts: 1

I've played Guild Wars 1 for the last 6 years. The dual classes, the three expansions, the infinite combo of skills, the infinite combinations of the dozens of armors, the replayability of the quests, etcetera make game play almost endless.

I waited years for Guild Wars 2, played during beta, preordered it, got in during the 3 hour jump on the headstart weekend, and have 8 characters in the game.

Guild Wars 2 is a huge departure from the Guild Wars 1 that spawned it. No dual classes, extremely limited skills, a tiny selection of (mostly) ugly armor, and no replayability of any quests. And, lets not forget the idiotic requirement to do all of the WvW maps, and ridiculous jumping puzzles, to get what should be the PvE cartography title.

During the early months, Guild Wars 2 concentrated on bugs, then concentrated on WvW and PvP, leaving the PvE folks to deal with the limited content.

To compensate, they added more and more jumping puzzles, which few enjoyed, added more and more 5 party dungeons, which solo players don't enjoy, and then they started adding the "Living Story."

The "Living Content" is time sensitive. If you're not there when it's active, you miss it forever. By February 2013, the PvE zones were almost completely empty, except for the first couple days of any new "Living Story."

By March 2013, I was gone, as have many others, with whom I've had conversations with in Guild Wars 1, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter Online. We all agree, Guild Wars 2, basically, is a good game, but the WvW, PvP, dungeons, and the childish "Living Content" (and events) aren't for us. We're all hoping, and waiting, for an expansion that takes Guild Wars 2 back to the Guild Wars 1 roots that we all loved.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by jdizzle2k13
    Originally posted by Calerxes

WoW - 2004.

Why did you pick WoW?

I think his point was that some people are bemoaning the lack of an expansion after a year in GW2 when WoW didn't come out with an expansion for 3 years.

I know why he used it but WoW is an exception? I could double that list of MMO's that had xpacs out in their first year.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

After 6 months break i decided to give GW2 an another go but when i saw all the living story content  i missed, i logged out and lost interest completely. So for me this whole 'living story' content had an opposite effect. 

Not all of us have lives which revolve around MMOS, and to miss this much chunk of content i felt lost and disconnected with the game. So my thanks to Anet dev team, they actually made it easier for me to not log in GW2 again. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by nttajira

people wanted some kind of f2p ?? you got it !!! now you are not happy they dont work on it ??

they would do it for free ??

you think they will work and add actual contents based on charity ? guild war 2 got a okay cash shop but not one who require the player to buy from it all the time,so im guessing they get not that much money from it......

you guy wanted FREE TO PLAY ? well you got it, but they are not working for add contents because no one work for free...

back to my P2P game i guess 

what is this madness?

• PolantarisPolantaris Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Vexus_X

What Guild Wars 2 needs to do:

- Introduce an enemy faction, a whole new side to the game and world, and make it a new set of player races

- Enable open world PvP, or at least one server with this enabled

The problem with GW2 is the 'world' gets boring. PvP is fun but has nothing random to it. It needs Alliance vs. Horde angst, and some humans to fight against while doing events and completing quests.

If they work on this and pull it off, GW2 will be the first game that gets 11/10.

God this is the worst idea I've ever heard of ever.

This concept that EVERY game needs open-world PvP is stupid.  Not everyone likes PvP.  They will lose half of their userbase by turning the entire PvE of the game into a PvP bloodbath.  The entire point of the PvE world is that it's fully co-op without needing parties or anything.  It's very good.  It doesn't need PvP.  Take your open-world PvP shenanigans to WoW and leave GW out of it.

I myself, and I know a lot of people who are still playing and still enjoying the game, like the PvE being separated from PvP.  The single most unenjoyable thing about WoW is the open-world PvP.  You might find it funny or enjoyable to murder low levels because you can, but in the end it makes people stop playing.  It's not fun at all to be on the receiving end of that, and it makes the game stupid.  I never payed for a single month of WoW, because the game is essentially a giant PvP rapefest.  There are games that are PvP, and there are games that are not.  The PvE world in GW2 is not.

An expansion is needed, but not because the world is boring, but because they've developed a huge world in GW1 that has essentially been abandoned.  There's nothing about Cantha nor Elona at all in most of the game.  There's very small lore once in a while, and once in a while you run into an NPC that claims they were from one or the other, but on the whole....there's two HUGE continents that are being completely ignored.  GW2 as a whole feels incomplete because it is.

Plus a new class or two to play around with, along with new areas to explore are all warranted.  They haven't added an area into the game since that first living story event.  Why not?  The only reason I can think of is an expansion being in the works where their graphic artists and such are busy with that instead.

I'm not trying to say that GW2 is perfect - It has its flaws.  Not every class is as enjoyable as it should be, and overall there are a problems, but it's definitely one of the more enjoyable MMOs I've played and the above suggestion of making the entire game PvP would be the best way to get everyone left to stop playing.

---
    This is but a brief parting.

• zimeronzimeron Member UncommonPosts: 15
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Polantaris

God this is the worst idea I've ever heard of ever.

This concept that EVERY game needs open-world PvP is stupid.  Not everyone likes PvP.  They will lose half of their userbase by turning the entire PvE of the game into a PvP bloodbath.  The entire point of the PvE world is that it's fully co-op without needing parties or anything.  It's very good.  It doesn't need PvP.  Take your open-world PvP shenanigans to WoW and leave GW out of it.

I myself, and I know a lot of people who are still playing and still enjoying the game, like the PvE being separated from PvP.  The single most unenjoyable thing about WoW is the open-world PvP.  You might find it funny or enjoyable to murder low levels because you can, but in the end it makes people stop playing.  It's not fun at all to be on the receiving end of that, and it makes the game stupid.  I never payed for a single month of WoW, because the game is essentially a giant PvP rapefest.  There are games that are PvP, and there are games that are not.  The PvE world in GW2 is not.

An expansion is needed, but not because the world is boring, but because they've developed a huge world in GW1 that has essentially been abandoned.  There's nothing about Cantha nor Elona at all in most of the game.  There's very small lore once in a while, and once in a while you run into an NPC that claims they were from one or the other, but on the whole....there's two HUGE continents that are being completely ignored.  GW2 as a whole feels incomplete because it is.

Plus a new class or two to play around with, along with new areas to explore are all warranted.  They haven't added an area into the game since that first living story event.  Why not?  The only reason I can think of is an expansion being in the works where their graphic artists and such are busy with that instead.

I'm not trying to say that GW2 is perfect - It has its flaws.  Not every class is as enjoyable as it should be, and overall there are a problems, but it's definitely one of the more enjoyable MMOs I've played and the above suggestion of making the entire game PvP would be the best way to get everyone left to stop playing.

I have to agree, open world PvP works in some games but in GW2 they can easily keep the PvP zones separate from the regular PvE ones. 

But maybe a mist map or 2 with both PvE and PvP (yeah, there is a tiny PvE part already but I mean more 50/50) would be fun, even if the risk is that less active PvP servers would have empty borderlands then.

The game do really need an expansion or a new campaign, the living story is amusing at times but it have so far only added a single (and rather empty) zone and we need way more content than that.

New skills would add more to the current classes, a new race and class would give us more diversity and something to do for a while, but we also needs way more new zones. Orr gets boring after a while (it have very little variation in mobs and terrain), Cove is small and empty and that just leaves us with Frostgorge which isn't enough.

I also wish they would do something with the Queensdale champion train, killing mobs that are made for noobs should not be the best way to earn money and the train kinda makes the noob experience crap with a lot of whiners complaining if some noobs actually killed a boss as intended instead of waiting for the train of mainly high levels.

It is true that all MMOs do have farmers and they are just a part of the game but zerg farmers in a noob area just ain't particularly fun. Changing the spawn windows would solve the problem fast, or buffing the lootbags for lvl 80 champs so the trains occurs in high level zones at least. Better scaling would be nice as well since in many cases the champs just lasts for seconds (but that is funny enough worse in Frostgorge than Queensdale).