Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by simplius Originally posted by Kicksave321 Originally posted by simplius okay, TODAY: roughly 1 mio customers AT LAUNCH:  roughly 2,8 mio customers 1 mio vs 1,8 mio,,which one has the most potential? two things keep swtor afloat: EAs deal with disney and the ASTRONOMICAL budget they , pretty much , HAVE to keep it alive and do note: we didnt even want swtor , to shut down we just wanted something better competition is always good for the market monopoly is bad  
    Every single person on this site knows you have never and will never provide facts or links to back up your rants.    So on on that note please provide a link that backs up anything you said here, while your at it provide links for anything you have ever said.  
    what happened, after you had the last link? nothing..   if you want links, find them yourself
    This would be an awesome response if so much of the stuff you posted wasn't obviously just made up.  
    like EAs 10 mio "something" number, that turned into 10 mio accounts?

its even in the movie " truth is a matter of perspective"

or, would you argue with a jedi master?

Maybe it's stream of consciousness instead of just made up.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    There is one simple reason that freemium isn't "BS." - Because quality games *always* give you the option to sub.  No "true" F2P game which refuses to offer a sub has ever had anywhere close to the same production value as you get from the major players.

GW1+2 says hello

ohlen used the very same argument in the pre-launch discussion

guess what? their content wasnt good enough, for a sub game..

GW 1 and 2 are not f2p.

theyre not sub games either, and theyre doing/did pretty well

but STO will be happy, theyve sold a bunch of LIFE subscriptions

i guess, that would make them big League..finally

It doesn't matter if they don't have a sub, they aren't free which is what he was talking about.  GW2 costs more than 3 months SWTOR sub.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

a "true" F2P  game ,without subs? where would the Money come from?

that game would be the perpetuum mobile.. i would like to play it

freemium opens the gate , for any kind on monetization, so they can get more Money from the same game

BTW, why didnt SWG go freemium? and warhammer online?

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210
    There is one simple reason that freemium isn't "BS." - Because quality games *always* give you the option to sub.  No "true" F2P game which refuses to offer a sub has ever had anywhere close to the same production value as you get from the major players.

GW1+2 says hello

GW 1 and 2 are not f2p.

well no GW2 is not doing as well as they had hoped.

ROFL STO happy because of life subs?  I take it you don't realize that life subs are a bad thing for developers.  It's a quick cash grab.  The only reason to do it is if you don't think you will be able to keep a subscrption from the player longer then 2 or 3 years.  

STO is not doing well at all. 

freemium opens the gate , for any kind on monetization, so they can get more Money from the same game

SWG did essententially go freemium with the Sony Station Pass

Warhammer Online didnt go because what happened was they were given a budget to make the game F2P but the game director saw the success of LoL and other MOBAs so he used those funds to create Warhammer Wrath of Heroes.  

Wrath of Heroes failed and the game was shut down.

There are tons of True F2P games with out subs.  The money comes from cash shops.  LoL, TF2, Dota 2,  Maplestory and so on are all true F2P games.  

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     Its funny how they try to get money out of you for all the stupid stuff.  The best was a game can make money is to actually be really fun.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by bobdole1979

There are tons of True F2P games with out subs.  The money comes from cash shops.  LoL, TF2, Dota 2,  Maplestory and so on are all true F2P games.  

Sounds like a list supporting my theory that if a game is quality, it offers a sub in addition to a free option, not just a free option. ;)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Sounds like a list supporting my theory that if a game is quality, it offers a sub in addition to a free option, not just a free option. ;)

Any model can be succesful if you budget for your income.   Would SWTOR be making more money if they went full F2P?  no defently not.    For some a hybrid model is best.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by mstrsrevati
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by mstrsrevati
    Being a huge Star Wars fan and the fact that I played Star Wars Galaxies from day one until they launched their doom which was the new player addition.  That killed the best game ever.  Anyway, as soon as SWTOR was ready to launch I was buying my account, not just a normal account but the limited addition to get the special bike and other nifty things.  After about 6months of playing I left the game because I realized this game wasn't going to be like the other at all.  The community was different, there was no housing, no real player role play just storyline, and being a crafter I hated their crafting system.  So I moved on and gave away what I could to the few people I made friends with.  I was going to try going back but after reading all of this I don't think I'll bother.  But I am curious to ask if I had a sith character and I logged in on that account would i be able to play it? or would she be deleted already? I wasn't going to get into a sub again until I decided whether I was going to stay or not, but if I can't play my sith then I don't see the point of doing the download.  Anyone have any idea whether I'd be able to play her or not? Thanks.

I wouldn't take notice of some forum posts in this thread , it's not all doom and gloom I assure you. Now to your question , no characters have been deleted at all ever. So yes you will be able to play on her , the only thing that might have happened to her though is she may have been moved to another server , possibly loosing her name and/or lost her name recently due to freeing up some names. Other than that you will be a preferred player and have various restrictions , unless you subb. You will have 4 skill bars though as a preferred player like you did 6 months after launch. You have a credit cap of 350 k as a preferred too.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Thank you for answering my questions BadOrb took me awhile to find this.  I will think about coming back, I want to talk to a few gamer friends of mine who might still play to see what their view is on it.  Good luck out there in the Galaxy :)

Hey no worries , yeah not easy to find replies within swtor threads I hear you. Good luck to you too , whatever you play! Let us know if you do come back though and what your thoughts are about preferred status.

I think the only greediness items I can see are the mounts and dyes , they are over priced but as they are fluff then I'm not too bothered really.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

GW1+2 says hello

GW 1 and 2 are not f2p.

ROFL STO happy because of life subs?  I take it you don't realize that life subs are a bad thing for developers.  It's a quick cash grab.  The only reason to do it is if you don't think you will be able to keep a subscrption from the player longer then 2 or 3 years.  

2-3 years, as opposed to, swtors 3 months? yeah

and GW2 didnt have to scratch THEIR stories..nuff said

Warhammer Online didnt go because what happened was they were given a budget to make the game F2P but the game director saw the success of LoL and other MOBAs so he used those funds to create Warhammer Wrath of Heroes.  

no..they are CC driven games..somebody is stil opening their wallets

just because you Arent paying, doesnt mean, that nobody is paying

i guess you missed school that year

that would make those games the ones, without quality

LoL is one of mmos big cashcows

surprising, that a shit game has so many fans, huh?

rofl wait are you suggesting a game that is completely free that gets 0 revenue from any source?? ROFL

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

GW1+2 says hello

GW 1 and 2 are not f2p.

2-3 years, as opposed to, swtors 3 months? yeah

and GW2 didnt have to scratch THEIR stories..nuff said

So not only do you have a gross misunderstanding of GW2's business model you also don't seem to know much about the game in general.  There is a single story that every player goes through.  Sure, they all start at a different spot but eventually all the stories converge and everyone follows the same story.

You also seem to unaware of all the story content that SWTOR has added to the game since launch.  Even the last daily area Oricon has a story arc to follow.  Yes, they haven't added any new class specific stories but saying they have scraped stories is being highly disingenuous.  Of course being disingenuous seems to be your schtick.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Are you deluded?  35 million people play LoL.  It's the largest played game in the world. It's a shit game. Logic. It must suck to be alone.

Steam: Neph

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

Are you deluded?  35 million people play LoL.  It's the largest played game in the world. It's a shit game. Logic. It must suck to be alone.

So he can't state his opinion that it is a shit game? I think LOL is shit too, so he isn't alone.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

rofl wait are you suggesting a game that is completely free that gets 0 revenue from any source?? ROFL

it would have to, in order , to be a truly FREE game, wouldnt it?

if not, then its CC driven...NOT free

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I suppose it's a good thing we have all these F2P games so that they can generate revenue and keep running. 

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Nephaerius

it was sarcasm, i can see LoLs quality, although i didnt like it personally

according to cazneerg, LoL is a low quality game, because it doesnt offer the option to sub

that was my point

PS 35 mio PLAYERS? yea , right

it was sarcasm, i can see LoLs quality, although i didnt like it personally

according to cazneerg, LoL is a low quality game, because it doesnt offer the option to sub

that was my point

PS 35 mio PLAYERS? yea , right

Apparently none of you noticed the ;)

I was mostly making a point about how quality is a subjective measure, unlike success which can be objectively measured.  I can recognize that a game can provide a quality experience for someone else while still providing a crappy experience for me, and vice versa.  The elements of games which I actually care about are ones which games that don't offer a sub option consistently do a poor job of implementing, when they try to implement them at all.  So no matter how good a job they do on what they do focus on, for my taste they still end up being unappealing products.

Hell, I would play STO or LotRO before I would touch LoL.  I would even play WoW before I touched that.

The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by lizardbones

I suppose it's a good thing we have all these F2P games so that they can generate revenue and keep running. 

heh,,apparently, its a good idea , to reduce the Price by 100%

its a crazy world

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Strictly speaking a F2P game can be Free-to-Buy or Buy-to-Play. 100% reduction though - yeah - probably a simple recognition on EA's part that SWTOR was stalled and the F2P would go nowhere without new account signups.

I think when Bobsole1997 talks about "True F2P" games however he is talking about games that are designed as F2P from the ground up rather than F2P conversions like SWTOR. And to date F2P conversions tend not to compare well against true F2P games.

Micro-transactions are really something that need to be built in from day 1 - both from a getting the player to pay and in avoiding the feeling of restraint that conversions tend to have. Gamasutra and other sites have run several articles by F2P designers - along with some by Gabe Newell. 

For example sub based games have historically tended to introduce grind. Things to slow you down or simply burn time. Reputation grinds, slow crafting, slow travel - boats in EQ1 were every 15 minutes I seem to recall and the trip itself wasn't fast. rare drops etc. There was a backlash and games speeded up. And speeded up. As Olsen and others said they didn't get the 3-4 months they (foolishly) expected to add new content; they very quickly had the bulk of the players at max level. Not good for a sub based game; maybe if they had taken notice of what was being said pre-launch people might still have had to buy SWTOR.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Strictly speaking a F2P game can be Free-to-Buy or Buy-to-Play. 100% reduction though - yeah - probably a simple recognition on EA's part that SWTOR was stalled and the F2P would go nowhere without new account signups.

I think when Bobsole1997 talks about "True F2P" games however he is talking about games that are designed as F2P from the ground up rather than F2P conversions like SWTOR. And to date F2P conversions tend not to compare well against true F2P games.

Micro-transactions are really something that need to be built in from day 1 - both from a getting the player to pay and in avoiding the feeling of restraint that conversions tend to have. Gamasutra and other sites have run several articles by F2P designers - along with some by Gabe Newell. 

For example sub based games have historically tended to introduce grind. Things to slow you down or simply burn time. Reputation grinds, slow crafting, slow travel - boats in EQ1 were every 15 minutes I seem to recall and the trip itself wasn't fast. rare drops etc. There was a backlash and games speeded up. And speeded up. As Olsen and others said they didn't get the 3-4 months they (foolishly) expected to add new content; they very quickly had the bulk of the players at max level. Not good for a sub based game; maybe if they had taken notice of what was being said pre-launch people might still have had to buy SWTOR.

I think when people say "true" F2P they are referring to games that don't offer a sub (and never have).  LotRO, DDO, EQ2, TOR, these are hybrids, not "true" F2P, because the free option in each is really just an extended kind of free trial.

And I really don't know where you are coming up with this thing about conversions not comparing well.  Most of the games that convert end up being very successful products. And the TOR devs could have listened all you  wanted pre-launch, but all themeparks run out of content, and it was never going to not be a themepark.  And when your content has a cinematic style with full voice, it takes even longer to develop.  The only way they could have been substantially faster is by delivering something that wasn't a BioWare style game, and it being a BioWare style game is the primary reason (other than the addition of the free option) it still has the million players a month it does have.

Moving to a hybrid model isn't a sign of a developer doing anything wrong.  It is the new normal for games once players start finishing the initial content offering.  If it doesn't happen to Wildstar and ESO as well, I will be shocked, and I expect those both to be very successful.

One last thing; the TOR dev is Ohlen, not Olsen.

The Force shall free me.

i would put it this way: the best games dont have to change business model

they Work fine, as is, and why fix something, that isnt broken?

and, they dont have to lure in customers , using big FREE signs

people will gladly pay a fixed monthly fee , if they have faith in the product

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Last time I logged in I had a pile of cartel coins (security key helps), but man just about everything costs cartel, enabling your character's title, hiding helmet slot, expanding bank, blahblahblah. May just as well charge us for breathing air too.