Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game with companions

Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
   Lately I've had the itch for a game with companions. I somewhat liked the companions in SWTOR, I loved the companions in Skyrim. Are there other games out there with good companions that you can interact with? It doesn't need to be a MMO.

Comments

• ViperDragonViperDragon Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I know it's an old game, but have you tried Fallout: New Vegas?  It's very similar to Skyrim, made by the same developers I think, and it comes with some great companions; especially when you Mod it.  My second choice would have been SWTOR, but you've already played that.

A great list of free games (mostly MMORPGs): http://www.mytop10games.com/

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198

Mass Effect 1/2/3

Dragon Age 1/2

Star Trek Online (i dont think you can interact with your companions here)

Neverwinter

Drakensang

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by Gaoxin

Mass Effect 1/2/3

Dragon Age 1/2

Neverwinter

Drakensang

I was going to buy Mass Effect 3 over the holidays from Steam. But then I found out that it isn't even on Steam, ME 1 and ME 2 are on there, so I don't know why they didn't have the third one. I tried Neverwinter and didn't like it. I didn't know Dragon Age had companions, I wouldn't touch the other two with a ten foot pole.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by Blazer6992
       Lately I've had the itch for a game with companions. I somewhat liked the companions in SWTOR, I loved the companions in Skyrim. Are there other games out there with good companions that you can interact with? It doesn't need to be a MMO.

DRAGONS DOGMA DARK ARISEN IS A MUST PLAY

If you have a ps3 or xbox

If you have not played it yet you are missing 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

You talk a lot with your bridge officers (they're a sort of quest npc's, reporting in frequently, connecting you to DOff assignments, etc.), but in the sense you ment, like in singleplayer games, it's not that type of interaction.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Mass Effect 1/2/3

Dragon Age 1/2

Neverwinter

Drakensang

I was going to buy Mass Effect 3 over the holidays from Steam. But then I found out that it isn't even on Steam, ME 1 and ME 2 are on there, so I don't know why they didn't have the third one. I tried Neverwinter and didn't like it. I didn't know Dragon Age had companions, I wouldn't touch the other two with a ten foot pole.

Dragon Age has awesome companions!

Also, the reason you don't find ME3 on Steam is because EA's Origin was used instead of Steam. =/

I'm kinda hoping ESO will have companions too, or that they'll be added in some future update if the launch won't have any.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Dragon Age has awesome companions!

Also, the reason you don't find ME3 on Steam is because EA's Origin was used instead of Steam. =/

I'm kinda hoping ESO will have companions too, or that they'll be added in some future update if the launch won't have any.

I don't think TESO will have companions.

So any MMO's besides SWTOR that has companions?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Lots of mmo's have animal companions but human companions are not so popular.  I remember when FFXI let us have one.  Like with everything else we had to bleed for them.  I was so proud of that companion tho.  I assume you're talking about humanoid companions.

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224
    Dungeon Siege, for turning your companions into characters that you level up and equip and play as on the fly.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

EQ2 has mercenaries but you dont really interact with them nor do they have stories. they just follow you around and fight. You can dress them up but you have to pay them too

Originally posted by SirPKsAlot
    Dungeon Siege, for turning your companions into characters that you level up and equip and play as on the fly.

Is that one of those side scroller games?

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    Originally posted by SirPKsAlot

Is that one of those side scroller games?

Nuh uh, Dungeon Siege is one of the older isometric rpgs.  (Top down rts type rpg.)

Along that note, if you have a craving for companions then Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced edition are must plays.  Companions have personalities that will either butt heads against each other or get along famously, with each one having a storyline (to some extent,) for themselves.  And there's a guy who has a space hamster.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

You can get Mercs in EQ2, but you have to pay money when you use them... So it's kinda like running around dungeons with hookers. I believe you can customize them a bit also. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Mass Effect 1/2/3

Dragon Age 1/2

Neverwinter

Drakensang

EA stopping giving steam the rights to sell games a few years ago, when they wanted to get origin going, so the only EA games you'll see on steam are ones they already had the rights to. ( not sure about the f2p ones though )

Gamefly still sells them but the only time I've ever seen me3 on sale was the whole bundle which was still more than the me3 stand alone.

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127

Guild Wars 1

Not 2.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

FFXI has the NPC companion,you do quests designed for that npc and level it up as well and it can fight and heal you also.

Eq2 has companions,i guess people call them mercenaries.

These are the best two instances of using companions that i know of.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

How deep are your avatar's pockets? How many can you handle?

Jagged Alliance, Back in Action has 40 hireable and 12 recruitable mercenaries. A few of them won't work for you if you already have a mercenary on the payrol they can't stand. Otherwise, you can hire them all at once.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Wizardry

FFXI has the NPC companion,you do quests designed for that npc and level it up as well and it can fight and heal you also.

Is this the MMO that came out a few years ago that sucked so bad at release they had to redo it?

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Guild Wars 1 has a really good hero system.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Wankyudo

Along that note, if you have a craving for companions then Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced edition are must plays.  Companions have personalities that will either butt heads against each other or get along famously, with each one having a storyline (to some extent,) for themselves.  And there's a guy who has a space hamster.

A miniature giant space hamster. The difference is subtle as both species are homicidal killing furry killing machines, but Boo wasn't able to swallow a man whole.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot Member Posts: 224

Oh, you could try Avernum if you wanna play some classic top-down RPG dungeon crawling. 

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Is this the MMO that came out a few years ago that sucked so bad at release they had to redo it?

No, that was FFXIV. FFXI came out much earlier and did well

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. You can have lots of companions.
  • IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

Bioware's Neverwinter Nights has hirelings and NPCs that group.  If I remember right, they get gear etc.

It's been ages since I've touched it.  I'm sure one of the others will know details.