Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Landmark: Transparency and the Way Forward

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

For as long as I’ve been writing for MMORPG.com and, in fact, long before that, I’ve had a keen interest in transparency and openness. It’s why I’m a fan of Square Enix’s Naoki Yoshida and his handling of Eorzean matters. It’s also why I wanted desperately to to discuss some recent goings-on on the Planetside Reddit, which basically struck all the right kinds of goodie-goodie feels in me regarding Everquest Next’s future.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s EverQuest Next: Landmark - Transparency and the Way Forward.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I honestly don't know why but I can't get excited for EverQuest Next no matter how hard I try... I don't get it either. It seems to have everything I've ever wanted... Amazing sandbox tools for building and shaping the world, looks to be trying to take NPC AI to the next level (something I've always wished for), and it's going to be F2P on top of that!

Just something about is has me going "meh." I will say, I don't like the graphics, and it's not because it's cartoony but because it looks overly saturated to me. Maybe that's it? Maybe I've finally become the thing that I always looked down upon: a graphics snob.

Smile

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm excited simply because I like what I see and I think that Smed finally knows that WoW 2.0 isn't going to cut it.

It won't bring the WoW numbers, but I think that the 30+ crowd will really enjoy it and that it will be a success.

• BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

I will believe all the hype when it proves itself (or not). Smedly should have been physically removed from SOE years ago and personally I despise the man and what he has single handedly done to the MMO genre.

With that said, I do hope EQN is a good MMO. Simply for the lack of anything I care to play these days.

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

The one thing I worry about is too much freedom to create. I know there'll be approval processes etc., but in Landmark you'll potentially be surrounded by a lot of terribly ugly structures. And stuff just popping up everyone so often... I donno. I kind of wish the sanboxy elements were limited to skills, combat, crafting, open world housing and exploration - not mine craft plus all that. 

Just me though - I do like I little bit of boundaries and structure to my game world - and I assume EQ:N will have that while Landmark will not. All good! 

• blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Razeekster

I honestly don't know why but I can't get excited for EverQuest Next no matter how hard I try... I don't get it either. It seems to have everything I've ever wanted... Amazing sandbox tools for building and shaping the world, looks to be trying to take NPC AI to the next level (something I've always wished for), and it's going to be F2P on top of that!

Just something about is has me going "meh." I will say, I don't like the graphics, and it's not because it's cartoony but because it looks overly saturated to me. Maybe that's it? Maybe I've finally become the thing that I always looked down upon: a graphics snob.

did i miss something? i could have sworn i read "Smedley said the company would now lower the cost of ALL-ACCESS subscriptions to US$14.99, maintain the 500 SC stipend with the proviso that players log in to an all-access connected game monthly to claim it, and give members a 10% discount on the marketplace."...$14.99 and the term 10% discount on the market place doesnt tell me F2P at all..

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by rmk70

The one thing I worry about is too much freedom to create. I know there'll be approval processes etc., but in Landmark you'll potentially be surrounded by a lot of terribly ugly structures. And stuff just popping up everyone so often... I donno. I kind of wish the sanboxy elements were limited to skills, combat, crafting, open world housing and exploration - not mine craft plus all that. 

Just me though - I do like I little bit of boundaries and structure to my game world - and I assume EQ:N will have that while Landmark will not. All good! 

EQN will be what u seek, EQN will have building player can do but im pretty certain they need to be approved in landmark and brought across or somthing along those lines, also u can report all innappropriate structure in landmark that will help a bit, as for poorly build building i suspect they will slowly disapear as people get use to the tools cause people dont wanna pay upkeep on somthing they dont like so i suspect it wont be as bad as ur thinking after a few months down the road, Also the realy well made stuff will be worth seeing :)

Also if u dont like ur neighbours u can always pack up and leave with everything saved as a bluepriunt and pop it down away from other people or near more skilled builders :P

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by blazzen67

did i miss something? i could have sworn i read "Smedley said the company would now lower the cost of ALL-ACCESS subscriptions to US$14.99, maintain the 500 SC stipend with the proviso that players log in to an all-access connected game monthly to claim it, and give members a 10% discount on the marketplace."...$14.99 and the term 10% discount on the market place doesnt tell me F2P at all..

This is for their other MMORPGs... SOE has already stated EverQuest Landmark and EverQuest Next will be F2P.

Smile

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

$14.99 and the term 10% discount on the market place doesnt tell me F2P at all..

the article was discussing recent news for existing games

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/2014-membership-update-from-smed.166604/

it is unknown if EQN / EQNL will support an optional sub model yet

Originally posted by Nadia

$14.99 and the term 10% discount on the market place doesnt tell me F2P at all..

the article was discussing recent news for existing games

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/2014-membership-update-from-smed.166604/

it is unknown if EQN / EQNL will support an optional sub model yet

oh..ok..thanks

This is for their other MMORPGs... SOE has already stated EverQuest Landmark and EverQuest Next will be F2P.

thanks..was thrown off there for sec :)

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Hmm, what you see as transparency I see as damage control.  The uproar over the proposed adjustment to their Gold Membership was huge, even dragging in MJ Guthrie from Massively who has always been a bit of a SOE fangirl.  EQ2Wire picked up the story, and finally after the community was set ablaze did Smed appear with his firehose.  Curiously, he never did appear directly on the EQ2 forums, choosing instead to go via Reddit.

Transparency?  Smed was desperately stamping out fires.  With EQN:L's Founder's packs still being sold, its Alpha starting momentarily, and EQN on the not-too-far horizon, SOE cannot afford more profit-detrimental publicity.  It was damage control, pure and simple, with the intent to stave off the flood of cancelled Gold Memberships from a highly disappointed player-base.

• hinge645hinge645 Member UncommonPosts: 63

Honestly I don't see why anyone is surprised how this was handled. Any company will try and get away with anything they can until the customers revolt and then they'll back off and throw the crowd of dogs a bone to appease them while they go off and think up the next scheme to milk more money out of their customers.

Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes.
    That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OMM NOM NOM
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LoradioLoradio Member Posts: 2
    Even still most all of their other games are mostly free to play.. though so.. you don't even need the all access pass to play just for gold membership status and 500sc per month...
  • TorpianTorpian Member UncommonPosts: 4

I bought two Trailblazer accounts and I'm half tempted to get a Founder's pack as well. This game is shaping up to be everything I ever hoped it would be and then some.

Huge world to explore - check

Focus on building over everything else - check

Crafting as a main focus - check

Every other game treats them as garnish on the side of the main meal. Landmark is making them the main meal and that's what I want in my MMO. I can't wait for Alpha to start. :)

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

>"Some of you may think the entire thing was bollocks."

Love it when authors just come out with the goods. 

EQ-L/N seems to have a lot to offer that's a bit refreshing so I don't thinkg SOE need to worry so much. But buying before you try I think is always a tricky proposition.

• plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    Sony in general is making amazing strides here, Look at how the Planetside 2 team handled development, the community was so involved at every step and still steers the ship to a certain extend

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)