Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

tablet gaming

NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

seen at BGG

http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/164

Road of Kings Releasing Soon
Brad talked about Road of Kings back in his PAX East coverage last year, but we hadn't heard much about it since. Well, Dancing Sorcerer Games has contacted us and let us know that it should be released later in January. Road of Kings is a single player game that, from the looks of it, resembles a turn-based adventure game (like Runebound (Second Edition)) mashed together with a Sorcery! style gamebook. I'm probably not doing it justice, but it looks cool enough that I want to try it out. In the game, you play a barbarian who can enlist the help of followers (or not, if you choose). Followers take the place of experience points and leveling, it seems, as you acquire them as you get richer and more powerful. Then, you explore the huge hex map and have a gamebook-style, story-based adventure using your followers to counteract enemies in combat. Just watch the video...it does a much better job than I'm doing.

Oh, did I mention that it's coming for both iOS and Android later this month? It is. And all for $3.

Comments

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member

I am not that intrested in tablet gaming as a stand alone what I am interested in however is using both tablet and desktop for one game experience which could open up a lot of cool ideas.

Correlation does not imply causation

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I am interested in however is using both tablet and desktop for one game experience which could open up a lot of cool idea

an app worth checking out is splashtop

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote&hl=en

its one way to play Blizzards Hearthstone on your android, until blizzard releases an android app

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

I am interested in however is using both tablet and desktop for one game experience which could open up a lot of cool idea

an app worth checking out is spashtop

I believe he's talking about expanding your desktop by using the tablet. Like a specific second screen that could show bag contents, spells, maps etc. I have splashtop. That just lets you use your pc from the tablet. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXPosts: 7,277Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Havekk

I believe he's talking about expanding your desktop by using the tablet. Like a specific second screen that could show bag contents, spells, maps etc. I have splashtop. That just lets you use your pc from the tablet. 

This is kind of the premise of the WiiU  and the idea is out there... the execution is out there... but will the support be out there for PC users?  I like the idea of The Division allowing for integration with tablets so that you can hop in on a tablet as a drone, or piloting a helicopter... ...  and hopefully they continue adding functionality like that in the future...  but I think we're a little ways away from this becoming even remotely standard.

"Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"

• Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingPosts: 2,717Member Uncommon

Road of Kings is a single player game that, from the looks of it, resembles a turn-based adventure game (like Runebound (Second Edition)) mashed together with a Sorcery! style gamebook.

Sounds cool, thx for the hint. The other post has some nice links in it too, like the Magic 2014, which is a great implementation of the game (though the free version is pretty much limited).

I'm lately playing on tablet almost exclusively card games, Magic is good for that, but it's single only, without an online mode. In the last week I started this one instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AnchoraGames.ForgottenMythsCCG  (because Hearthstone is too simple and has only a version for iDiOS's, and Hex is still only in Alpha)

This one is closer to MTG than Hearthstone, but still simple. Quick, short duels, it's a fun little game for the occasional free timeframes. Yep, I tabletting mostly in there :)

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 5,348Member
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    Originally posted by Havekk

This is kind of the premise of the WiiU  and the idea is out there... the execution is out there... but will the support be out there for PC users?  I like the idea of The Division allowing for integration with tablets so that you can hop in on a tablet as a drone, or piloting a helicopter... ...  and hopefully they continue adding functionality like that in the future...  but I think we're a little ways away from this becoming even remotely standard.

I think even more so for PCs because of MMOs.

gather all your stuff into your home using the PC, use your tablet to craft while on the bus

Correlation does not imply causation

I think even more so for PCs because of MMOs.

gather all your stuff into your home using the PC, use your tablet to craft while on the bus

i agree, crafting is usually a solo activity

• BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member
    Wow... After playing many games on my Android Tablet I can say without any doubts that the game in the OP's post looks absolutely horrid even for a tablet game. There are many games already out for tablets that blow that out of the water.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

King of Roads is now available for both android and ios

I bought it and played it

the interface and art are primitive but i was entertained by it

reminds me of some of the TRS80 games i played in the 1970s  (minus the healthbars)

the gameplay is more entertaining for me than WarhammerQuest on ios

a 3/5 review (but i like the game)

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/road-kings/review

Pros:

• An unusual and interesting combination of classic video game RPG and gamebook with a satisfying difficulty level that encourages repeat plays.

Cons:

• Interface and mechanics are often clumsy and repetitive.

• plat0nicplat0nic new york, NYPosts: 301Member
    I know of a few tablet rpg products in the making right now.. definitely a market for it

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)