Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live Forum Q&A Stephan Frost - Wildstar

1234568»

Comments

• Zapp_BranniganZapp_Brannigan Member Posts: 2

Hi Frost,

Is there any consideration being put into making certain abilities aesthetically customisable (for example, changing the colour of Esper abilities), in the future if not at launch?

Really looking forward to the game and dying a little inside every time I miss out on a beta invite!

Thanks!

(Note: I realise that I could not have made this post any more generic and am honestly quite ashamed to be clicking the submit button. Sorry about that, I feel like you deserve more :( )

• DesphiriaDesphiria Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Infeareal
    Originally posted by Desphiria
    I have a question about the subscription fee. Not sure if someone asked this or not but, can you better explain the 12 month one? It says 10.99 per month but behind that is says the total will be 131.88 dollars. Can you explain where that amount of money will it come from? Is that the total of the box AND the sub fee or, the sub fee altogether?

Seem straight forward enough. 10.99 x 12(months)= $131.88. So you pay for all 12 months upfront at a cost of 131.88 which is 10.99 a month. That does not include your initial box fee. Hope that helps.

Yeah, it helps. Thanks. I was wondering about that. 

• CRB_FrostCRB_Frost Brofessor FrostMember Posts: 23

Originally posted by Omegaz24
    The stalker class is capable of tanking. My question is, for them being able to use their evasion as "metigation", is there anything they receive for dodging like a faster recharge on the dodge roll, or a small spike of dps to help hold aggro or something? I'll most likely ask more during the stream this weekend lol

The AMP system has a ton of variables that you can unlock that help out with what you are talking about. We'll likely go into more detail on the livestream, this Saturday.

Originally posted by Ulorik

Regarding PATHS

Hi,

I'm a bit worried that the Paths may not be as central to the gaming experience as described in dev-speak etc. Imho they look a little bit like mini-games added on to the main quests, but don't contribute much to an individual playing experience for each of the paths. The main game experience looks to be the same for all. I had hoped that the paths would be Wildstars USP that create a very different game experience in terms of character building, questing, lore, access to areas etc. Is there still scope to develop the paths a bit more then they currently are? (example: Different main questlines depending on paths)

Thank you

Hi there! Thanks for you question. I'd say that the Path System is far more than mini games added on to quests. They offer a variety of mission types per each type of path, and I'd say that the content is fairly unique to each Path type. It does vary up your gameplay experience and while I level, I always pick different paths with my alts. It's a deep system that not only adds variety, but allows the player to earn different rewards, as it has it's own reward stream, including unique abilities. It's also great while leveling, because you get Path XP for helping out your friends, when you are grouped.  Regarding your question to build more into Paths, we are pretty much sticking to what we have for launch. We are trying to get Wildstar as polished as possible, and when you add new systems/tech this late in the development process, it's a recipe for an unpolished experience. 

The TLDR: Paths are additional content that will vary up your experience, that cater to playstyles. We like 'em, and we hope you will as well.

Most certainly there will be gear differences between hardcore players and casuals.

If you want the most badass gear in WIldstar, you are going to have to work for it.

When you make an MMO you have to have content for all playstyles. There has to be stuff for the average player who is just leveling up at a moderate pace, and you have to have content for the most elite/hardcore players as well. Casuals don't have to have the most badass gear, because they won't need it. They'll get the gear they need by completing pve content. However if you want to raid, you're going to need some epic gear, and you'll have to play hard and smart to get it. We want the player to feel rewarded when they earn their gear... we aren't just going to hand it out to everyone because they leveled up to cap.

• SuperCotton3SuperCotton3 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by CRB_Frost

If you want the most badass gear in WIldstar, you are going to have to work for it.

... Is it WildStar, Wildstar, or WIldstar? I could never figure this one out and you're only making this more difficult.

Originally posted by Desphiria
    I'm not sure if we can double post but I have another question, sorry if someone already asked this by the way, but, when it comes to spellslinger, medic, and esper, is there a difference when it comes to using them as healers?

They are all varied in their approaches to healing. I'd suggest watching our livestreams! They answer this question in detail, from the gents that made these classes!

Originally posted by Doofmaz

In Elder Game, what will the PvE difficulty progression curve be like?

In a game with challenging content, there will naturally be stages that are a "barrier to entry" to further PvE content for many players due to their difficulty. Is your team comfortable making veteran dungeons challenging enough that they prevent some players from experiencing the newest raids?

Does your team have a design philosophy regarding PvE difficulty that you will stick to even if complaints arise from a vocal minority of stuck players who feel entitled to beat everything?

When PvE players get to level cap, they have a few options. Here's a few of 'em:

1.) We have new zones that will come online fairly regularly, so there will be TONS of questing to be had.

2.) There are areas that we internally call Pocket Cap Playspaces (or, PCPs). These areas are cap level content that have public events and quests only available at elder game. These are in the world and in various zones and in instanced areas.

3.) Public Events: Scaling (in difficulty) group quests

Regarding their difficulty, these should be something that the average player should be able to handle if they have the proper gear. There will be some areas though, that may be more difficult with bosses and public events. Also, if you are looking for ridiculous hardcore antics, our dungeons and raids will satiate that desire, methinks.

Originally posted by Mechanism

Path content seems to be very tightly tied into open zones. So does this mean new path content will mostly only arrive with new zones?

I'd personally worry about how loudly soldiers or explorers or whomever is going to complain if new path content in patches isn't doled out evenly enough.

We have a team of designers dedicated specifically to Paths (one designer per each Path) and they most certainly keep an eye on whether there are imbalances. (Not to say that it will ever be perfect, but we are watching it.) Path Missions are tied fairly closely to the content because of our design philosophy of "Layered Content." We want to make sure players are taking advantage of content in the areas that have quests, because you are there already!

Originally posted by evryman13

Frost,

I am concerned about the seamlessness of the world.  I haven't played the game yet, but could you expound on the seamlessness of the world.  I was thoroughly disappointed with swtor and their idea of open world. It really affects exploration when you have a boxed in feeling, it feels like less exploring and more just unlocking the map.  Can you add any further detail to how seamless the world is? 

Don't be concerned! It's seamless between zones! The only time it isn't is when you go to a new continent... or the moon. Check out some streams on the internets. You'll see that when you go from Deradune, to Auroria, there isn't a loading screen. :)

Originally posted by IceAge

Mr Anderson .. erm .. Frost ,

"You are the reason for why i'm here". From what movies is this line?

So , question :

I heard that before every DevSpeak , you are eating/drinking a raw egg to.. warm up your voice. Is that true?

Also, who's behind the Dr Victor Lazarin voice? I love it !

The Matrix, man. Come on!

Dev Speak warm ups include: Drinking water, sriracha sauce shots, owning Pappy in PvP,  and operatic warm ups.

Victor Lazarin's voice is done by Jim Cummings, the same guy that did Darkwing Duck, Winnie the Poo, and a bajillion other voices.

Originally posted by jbombard

It is great to hear that you have put a lot of thought into endgame.  While endgame is important, I am a big fan of games with a sense of journey and adventure.  While in WoW there was initially a sense of journey, leveling content has been sped up so much that it feels like a blur and nothing more than a race to max.

What are your thoughts concerning the journey experienced while leveling?

Is it more of a means to an end, or should hitting max feel like an accomplishment in and of itself.

How much leveling content are you shooting for time wise?  

We think Elder Game is important, but we think leveling is important, too. I mean, why would you want to stick around to see the Elder Game if your leveling experience was terrible? :P

We've put a ton of time into the leveling experience to make sure it's not a painful experience. Usually when you play MMOs there is this inverted bell shaped curve. You start out with REALLY high production value, then it goes down in quality once you hit level 20, then it stays boring until the last ten levels. We are aiming to have a varied and entertaining experience in each zone. Whether it's level 1, 27, 42 or 50. 

Regarding time estimates, the average person can probably get to level cap in about 150-200 hours. That's not including stuff like Tradeskills, Housing, PvP, Dungeons, Ship Hand Missions, etc. 

We've worked extremely (excessively?) hard to make sure that this game has something for everyone, and it's a fun experience throughout the leveling AND elder game. 

Originally posted by xArsonistx

You kind of dodged a question earlier in this thread when asked about amount of content could you please give a more straight forward answer?

Will wildstar AT launch have as much content as say SwTOR and vanilla WoW?

A yes or no would be great.

I can't comment on those games, but I can tell you that with 150-200 hours of PvE content, (NOT INCLUDING: Dungeons, Veteran Dungeons, Adventures, Raids, Battlegrounds, Arenas, Warplots, Housing, Tradeskills, Pocket Cap Playspaces, Ship Hand Missions, Paths, etc.), and content that is only available after level cap, you'll have plenty to occupy your time with. :)

Originally posted by Metaskie
    In that super dodge video, did I just see a freaking hamster ball as a mount? THAT"S AWESOME!

Maaaaaaaaaybe. :D More to come on mounts and customization in the coming weeks!

Dungeons will have a veteran mode.

Raids don't have a difficulty setting, as they are EXTREMELY difficult. There isn't going to be an easy version of the raid.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Victor Lazarin's voice is done by Jim Cummings, the same guy that did Darkwing Duck, Winnie the Poo, and a bajillion other voices.

YES! The man is a voice acting legend.

This made me lol irl. SORRY I MISSED YOUR QUESTION!

Originally posted by rannox

Hey Frost, thanks for coming back and answering some more questions. Here are a few for you.

1. You mentioned earlier how you would have to flag yourself for open PvP... Does this mean that there are no parts of the world that everyone is automatically flagged, even in PvP servers? Like questing zones that you always run the risk of someone ganking you, or being able to do it yourself, potentially starting massive open world battles. 

On PvP servers, you are always flagged for PvP. On other servers, you can turn it off.

2. I asked earlier if there would be a Linux client. I think it should be something seriously considered if not already, especially with the emergence of SteamOS and the growing Linux gaming community. This would be a major plus for me.

Right now we are just focusing on getting the game done. We've had this request and a Mac OSX request as well, but right now, we need to stick to what we have to get the game as polished as we can! 

3. This isn't meant to sound bitter, I am just plain curious, but... I signed up for the beta in May of 2013, and I know many signed up way before me that still have yet to receive an invite. Is there no weight added to how old a beta sign-up is in your algorithms? 

It's all random. We have a beta survey, and if you take that survey, you'll have better odds of getting in, but otherwise it's just random. We'll still be sending out more keys, keep your fingers crossed. 

Haha I'm going to get yelled at by branding and the narrative design team, but officially it's "WildStar." My apologies to all those offended by my grammatical wrong-doings. 
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

YES! The man is a voice acting legend.

Yes! Hear the guy at his finest : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PZB08UK0Tyg#t=541

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

And that's a wrap, everyone! We'd like to thank Stephan Frost and everyone at Carbine Studios for doing this awesome AMA with us! Hope everyone had a great time!

This discussion has been closed.