Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO hitting most anticipated game of the year lists 2014 including Forbes, CNN money, MTV

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

It looks like ESO is hitting the lists of Most Anticipated game of the year 2014 and it keeps growing this month.  Shocked to see, even Forbes is on the list. 

On the 6th, ESO website listed a bunch of sites that have ESO as the most anticipated game of 2014. You might be shocked to learn that even FORBES is in the list.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2014/01/06/eso-hits-most-anticipated-lists-for-2014

We are also seeing since then alot more people saying the same thing. Some top media is already abuzz talking about the game.  Here are a few more big names I'm seeing.

Prima games
http://www.primagames.com/games/elder-scrolls-online/feature/games-2014-elder-scrolls-online

"Even with the addition of a monthly fee and an online component, The Elder Scrolls Online should have no problem living up to the series' stature when it releases for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 next year. We can't wait" - Robert Workman (Prima Games)

CNN Money
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2013/12/30/best-video-games-2014.fortune/4.html

"This brand is one of very few that has the potential to take on Blizzard's World of Warcraft, and win." -John Gaudios Fortune Magazine.

MTV
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1719795/11-cant-miss-video-games-2014.jhtml

"The 11 Can't Miss Video Games of 2014" -Clint A. Mize

What does this mean for ESO and its success, one can never know, but its definitely got a lot of people buzzing around the media this month.  A lot of big names in the list.

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Anticipated to be what, exactly?

This is all just a result of a bunch of advertising money and freebies, and invites to launch parties going out.

As well as general name recognition.

[mod edit]

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

There is a difference by being anticipated and being good. Hype through lots of advertisement or name doesn't nessisarily mean it will turn out a good game. SWTOR had just that... and a rather silly (and obviously paid for) Game of the Year despite releasing 5 days before the end of the year, giving 0 chance for it to be even be 'reviewed'. 

Honestly such lists are typically paid for, whether its advertisement or using a series everyone knows.  It means nothing on how good a game will be or if its actually good at all.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Every mmo in the history of mmos is the most anticipated mmo when it's about to release.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

So Zenimax decided to invest money in promoting the game but not making it better. This game will fall even harder than SWTOR

damn I hate so much when dumb people in topics about  game talk about them ... especially when they are media writers

BY THE WAY PEOPLE DO YOU SEE HOW THEY PROMOTE ESO as a par of TES series. So sad . Advertizing of product for money should not be legal . It's customers scumming.

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

you know...I look at CNN....Forbes...and fricking MTV? (what does even stand for anymore? Mediocre Teen Vaginas?)....and I think to myself....Self...over the years, how often have you taken any of those as a credible source for anything gaming or internet for that matter.

Self says....NEVAH!!!

Oh..just wanted to be sure....then I go check on the most anticipated games on MMORPG and I noticed....hmm...not even in the top 5 you say? ....well now /churchlady....isnt that special.

Yeah...amazing what advertising dollars can manage.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167
    SWToR was also on that list as the most anticipated game of the year when it was released, and we see how it fell. I'm not saying ESO is a bad game...but it is far from the holy grail of MMOs many are thinking.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Forbes? You mean the guys who also posted this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

It's incredible how much a little advertising money can change a reviewer's attitude.

That guy is a contract freelancer, but yeah, it's funny how some advert bucks gets a totally different spin. At least the freelancer had an explanation as to why he thought their revenue model would be detrimental to the success. The "most anticipated" stories say play it because we said so.

Well no. They're not the same person.

One guy is Eric Kain and the other guy is Paul Tassi.

Both are just "contributors" which just means they're accepted bloggers. Which means that they're the same as any random person off this forum who happen to write a lot and keep a blog updated and have some followers. The end.

Forbes doesn't give two poops about gaming, they care about people clicking and visiting their site for advertising dollars. So if you get a couple of bloggers to post up nonsense that gets people to click, then Forbes wins either way.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    SWTOR was in that category before release, too. We all know how that turned out.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Anticipated to be what, exactly?

This is all just a result of a bunch of advertising money and freebies, and invites to launch parties going out.

As well as general name recognition.

[mod edit]

Please see TOR?  You mean the second most successful western MMO that includes a subscription option?  I guess you actually have a pretty high opinion of ESO if you think it is a contender for second place.

Originally posted by Pyuk
    SWTOR was in that category before release, too. We all know how that turned out.

Yeah, it turned out as a bigger success than any other western MMO (other than WoW) that includes a subscription option.  What a terrible fate!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Of course the game will be anticipated by many. It is a large IP. A big budget game and has plenty of money for advertising. It is their job to throw this at us like advertisers try during the Christmas season.

The end result is that you either buy the game or you don't and that is entirely your own personal choice. The issue I find here on this site though is that hipsterism is rampant here. The bigger the hype the larger the reason for a crap ton of posters here (and elsewhere) to automatically increase their campaign against hype. This is where ration reason to not like a game flies out the window. Trying to convince others to not like something because you do not like it is both cynical and a sign of hipsterism and someone suffering from this is the first to deny and the first to attack someone doing the exact same thing.

You either truthfully have anticipation for this game or you lack interest in it for what ever reason. Those reasons are your own and voice it as such. Sadly the clash of the single player genre with the mmo genre is a nasty thing. This was proven by Swtor. Tons of opinions but only one game gets made.

If TESO does not do well then it is NOT the fault of the players with different views than you. If TESO does well it is NOT a victory of it's fans over those who do not like the game. 

I'd love to just hear everyone's opinion of the game without all the emotion behind it ... but, oh my, these forums become cynic bombs. Merely posting ABOUT the game is like dangling meat over a pool of piranha. 

You stay sassy!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

And yet, I am not anticipating TESO in the slightest.

Imagine that.

Any rational person can imagine it. 

Just because you see an advertisement for something you would never be interested in does it force you to buy it? I hope you are intelligent enough to know your own interests and make your own choice.

This couldn't be a more simply scenario than this. You are either interested ... or you are not. You aren't missing out on a shuttle ride off a doomed planet. You will live on.

You stay sassy!

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Of course the game will be anticipated by many. It is a large IP. A big budget game and has plenty of money for advertising. It is their job to throw this at us like advertisers try during the Christmas season.

The end result is that you either buy the game or you don't and that is entirely your own personal choice. The issue I find here on this site though is that hipsterism is rampant here. The bigger the hype the larger the reason for a crap ton of posters here (and elsewhere) to automatically increase their campaign against hype. This is where ration reason to not like a game flies out the window. Trying to convince others to not like something because you do not like it is both cynical and a sign of hipsterism and someone suffering from this is the first to deny and the first to attack someone doing the exact same thing.

You either truthfully have anticipation for this game or you lack interest in it for what ever reason. Those reasons are your own and voice it as such. Sadly the clash of the single player genre with the mmo genre is a nasty thing. This was proven by Swtor. Tons of opinions but only one game gets made.

If TESO does not do well then it is NOT the fault of the players with different views than you. If TESO does well it is NOT a victory of it's fans over those who do not like the game. 

I'd love to just hear everyone's opinion of the game without all the emotion behind it ... but, oh my, these forums become cynic bombs. Merely posting ABOUT the game is like dangling meat over a pool of piranha. 

I think to simplify what your saying,  its like a billboard on the side of a bus at a crowded bus stop, and everyone at the bus stop is interested in the advertisement and looks at it and talks about it, and someone in the crowd doesn't like the advertisement so they jump in front of the bus ad and shouts this sucks, don't look, don't buy.   Its insane on the forums here this close to launch and theres a lot of people who are doing just that, but its ok, because even if a guy stands in front of the ad, people still saw it and will go home and look it up on their computer and judge for themselves if they like it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Forbes? You mean the guys who also posted this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/02/predicting-the-biggest-disaster-of-2014-the-elder-scrolls-online/

It's incredible how much a little advertising money can change a reviewer's attitude.

That guy is a contract freelancer, but yeah, it's funny how some advert bucks gets a totally different spin. At least the freelancer had an explanation as to why he thought their revenue model would be detrimental to the success. The "most anticipated" stories say play it because we said so.

Maybe they are just really anticipating the crash and burn?

As with all MMOs, you don't know until its been out for a few months.

• MMOredfalconMMOredfalcon Member UncommonPosts: 167

Yeah, it turned out as a bigger success than any other western MMO (other than WoW) that includes a subscription option.  What a terrible fate!

So going from a sub based model, to empty servers, free to play made it the biggest success? So then how do some of these older MMOs that still retain a good population and subscription compare in your books?

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

CNN, Forbes, and MTV - the pinnacles of quality gaming news.

ESO is an abomination of a game idea - the only thing I anticipate about it is how spectacularly it's going to flop.  Oh, it'll sell a bunch of units - there are tons of sheep around.  But ultimately it'll be garbage.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by MMOredfalcon

So going from a sub based model, to empty servers, free to play made it the biggest success? So then how do some of these older MMOs that still retain a good population and subscription compare in your books?

There aren't empty servers , also he is just stating a fact that SWTOR is a success. Well SWTOR has over 1 million accounts logging in per month so indeed it is a success. As to older ones yeah they are doing well Eve is okay it had about 500 k subbs about 6 months ago and I'm not sure about the others.

All TESO's dev team has to do is have a back up plan and code it before the doom and gloom starts , just so they don't get bombarded with comments about how nothing being worked on is new it was all started 2 years ago. Then Bob's your uncle , shove in the freemium model and carry on. Save on wasting 8 months converting to freemium and losing all that dev time updating the game. Simple.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• himodshimods Member Posts: 54

Similarities with TOR just keep piling up, can't wait to see this pos run of the mill mmorpg and an insult to TES series crash and burn.

Well, nothing can reach the level of fail that TOR did, but hopefully we see something similar. Otherwise this industry will never develop and we get yet another decade of same reskinned shit.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

ESO throwing money @ some sites to be most anticipated game of 2014..

Good marketing.. but the game will flop hard..

its funny tho

Empty servers when?  They aren't now.  Even with a free option, at the last reported numbers TOR still had more people paying for a subscription than any other major game other than WoW.  And it was bringing in average revenue per player of almost twice what a game that relies solely on subscriptions does. (Not sure if that data point was per subscriber, or included the free players to, but even if it's only per subscriber, that still makes their 500k subscribers the equivalent of almost a million subscribers in a pure sub game.)

It would be wonderful if people on this site would learn to differentiate between whether they personally like a game, and whether it is successful.  It would actually inject some credibility into posts, rather than creating the impression that the site is 90% trolling.

To bring it back to the actual topic, if ESO follows the exact same pattern as TOR, that will make it a successful product in the eyes of anyone who actually understands what makes a product successful.  No matter how much you personally dislike the game.

The Force shall free me.

• immortal111immortal111 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    This site fucking sucks now. Just filled with a bunch of "sandbox or nothing" style attitudes that bash every game that's coming out. I don't think ESO is bad.
  • himodshimods Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by BadOrb

There aren't empty servers , also he is just stating a fact that SWTOR is a success. Well SWTOR has over 1 million accounts logging in per month so indeed it is a success. As to older ones yeah they are doing well Eve is okay it had about 500 k subbs about 6 months ago and I'm not sure about the others.

And how many servers did TOR shut down after release? A fuckton. 

The claim that TOR was a success is ludicrous, Star Wars is the biggest ip around, and if the rumours of hundreds of millions invested are true, SWTOR is without a question one of the biggest failures in gaming history. The moneymen were expecting WoW-like success, not pennies.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

Empty servers?  

Umm welcome to 2014 where Swtor servers are far very far from empty.  

But hey this sites all about posters running their mouths about stuff they know nothing about you fit right in I see.  

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

It's like economic news.

News say that price will rise it rises for a while and then it falls like shit.

You are still believing the news?

So naive you are..

Im sure companies need people like you to earn money

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by himods
    Originally posted by BadOrb

The claim that TOR was a success is ludicrous, Star Wars is the biggest ip around, and if the rumours of hundreds of millions invested are true, SWTOR is without a question one of the biggest failures in gaming history. The moneymen were expecting WoW-like success, not pennies.

Doesn't meet (unrealistic) expectations of the aforementioned "money men" != "unsuccessful. A business can have less than expected revenue for a year, but still be comfortably in the black. Without a question, your opinion is just that, opinion. How you can easily spot a failed game? You can't play it anymore.

That's it.

I would like to assume posters on mmorpg are over the age of twelve but the sheer amount of conspiracy theories, subjective/objective confusion and inability to recognize that different people have different views is astounding.

Originally posted by himods

Whether it "met expectations" has nothing to do with whether it's a success.  And it's not "was."  The game is still running, and growing.  It *is* a success.  And, depending on whether the 28 dollars per player figure they told investors was just for subscribers, or for their million players a month, their average monthly revenue is somewhere between 14 and 28 million.  Most developers would kill for that kind of revenue stream.

Success is only relative in the sense that one product can be more successful than another.  Failure is an absolute, and no rational person describes a product that brings in a profit as a failure.

The Force shall free me.