Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Greed, OMG the Greed

Comments

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

where did BW claim, to be nr 2? or EA? if they havent claimed it, theyre VERY far, from being so

if they WERE nr 2, they would be yelling it from the rooftops

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

+1

The funny thing is most people who moan about subscriptions either:

A: are so cheap they would eat crap because its free

or

B: Don't realize they pay more  per month than the $15 a month the subscription games charge.

Yay for F2P.  nothing says immersion more in an RPG, than real world ad pop-ups at every turn.

Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by DaRoamer
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by CIB3
    Lol at fans/defenders of this crap game. Only players in this game are some in starting zones and some afk in that central station. After lvl 20 the game is empty.  All planets are empty, with no players. The game is like a single player RPG with an online poor auction house.

I know this a lame attempt at a troll post but just in case someone believes this person, on my server right now there are (keeping in mind the Who search cuts off at 100):

500+ people on the Imperial Fleet

350+ people on the Republic Fleet

100+ people on each of Tython, Ord Mantel, Korriban and Hutta

100+ people on Coruscant (levels 10-16) Republic Only

100+ people on Dromund Kaas (10-16) Imperial Only

200+ people on Taris (17-20 Republic and 33-36 Imperial)

200+ people on Nar Shadda (21-33)

200+ people on Tatooine (24-28)

200+ people on Alderaan (29-40)

200+ people on Balmorra (33-36 Republic and 17-20 Imperial)

50 people on Quesh (level 37)

160 people on Hoth (38-41)

120 people on Belsavis (42-44)

107 people on Voss (45-47)

112 people on Corellia (48-50)

166 people on Makeb (51-55)

There also 300+ PVPing, 400+ doing Flashpoints and 300+ doing Operations.

My server is currently listed at Standard population.  Other servers are currently listed at Heavy so they would be more populated.

Yeah, no people.

keep going,, youre at, roughly, 4k players, Theres still  a LONG  way, to ½ mio subs

from my perspective, it looks like EVEs numbers

500k players- 50k online

Well, actually, if you had bothered to read you would have seen that the /who cuts off at 100 search results so I listed places like Coruscant as 100+ but when I go there there are generally around 160-200 people during prime time.  Coruscant is one of the few planets that doesn't split into instances so you can easily see how many people are there.   For example there are currently 102 people on Dromund Kaas, at 10:30am EST on a Monday morning when the server is showing Light.  I also said in my follow up post that there were places I didn't search for and include in my list.  Oricon, the newest daily area, definitely had well over 100 people in it, closer to 200. 

So likely there were between 5000-6000 people on the server.  So let's carry that further, I went and looked and all the European servers were showing Standard since it was prime time there and the US servers were all showing Standard except 3 which were Heavy.   So since there are 17 servers with around 5000-6000 players each we're looking at 85,000-102,000 players logged in right at the moment.  Likely more since I didn't count Heavy servers.

Using industry estimates that between %5 and 10% of users are logged in at any one time were can see that there are between 1-2 million active players.  Those numbers falls in line with what Eric Musco said the active player population was recently which was over 10 million accounts and 1 million active monthly players.

Also, as LizardBones said, I was also trying to show that there were players everywhere doing all sorts of content.  The game is very healthy.

Oh you can't  be posting accurate up to date information on Swtor and think the ones who have been whining, crying and lying about a video game they don't play for over 2 1/2 years now will understand.

This site allows and encourages this depressing behavior not just with Swtor but any game.  It's well known this site caters to the haters.  You try to correct them bam your banned.  You call them out bam your banned,  you provide facts and make the haters look like fools they won't engage you in a discussion nope the have a macro set up for the report button.  Does this site care if the person reporting you spams every single Swtor post with the same lies, crys, and misinformation nope that's allowed here.  

Swtor or is a very healthy game the same 5 posters crying, whining, lying and posting misinformation and only accurate rants are always preluded by "at launch" "six months after launch" and "had". They have no clue or interest or ability to understand the current state of the game.  

so, you found Frankensteins monster, and took care of him

thanks to your love, and patience, he is now recovering

im sure , that the rest of the villagers appreciate your hard work

now, theyre Building two gallows, instead of one

Originally posted by jerlot65
    Originally posted by Vutar
    F2P is the way of the future. Isn't it awesome? Being nickle and dimed to death is wonderful. So much better than those crazy sub games that just include all that stuff for a flat fee.

+1

The funny thing is most people who moan about subscriptions either:

A: are so cheap they would eat crap because its free

or

B: Don't realize they pay more  per month than the $15 a month the subscription games charge.

Yay for F2P.  nothing says immersion more in an RPG, than real world ad pop-ups at every turn.

+2

but P2P games need a certain standard, thats the problem

nobody wants to Work that hard anymore

• gorantdgorantd Member Posts: 1

I had to put my opinion here....let it off my chest.

Recently I was thinking of going back to SWTOR and play a bit, as my time allows. I don't have problem with subscription and paying for some game I like, but what I encountered turned me off completely.

First of all they send us email saying inactive, low lvl character names will be taken if we don't log in by some date, show some activity. Characters with lvl 30 and above won't be targeted. So wanting to keep all my characters, even my low lvl starter ones, I logged in....what did I find? All character names have to be changed because they took it obviously. Doesn't matter that I logged in time, doesn't matter my main character was lvl 40...

After few months, again I felt like playing a bit SWTOR, willing to forget that incident or maybe write to support when I start playing. I wanted to pay one time sub for 60 days that costs 29,99$ on their official site. I went on and typed all my payment info only to see they are gonna charge me 26,99 euros! In no way is that the same price, that's more then 36$. That made me so angry and I wanted to write to their support, guess what...no email given. Went in game to write ticket, guess what....you must have subscription to have this option. Wanted to get their attention at least on official forum....guess what....not even this option is given. 

I can't even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in this game and it's 'support'. If you don't want to pay for this game then we don't give shit about you....that's the message they are sending. I'm fine with class restriction and some other content of course, but restricting support (except phone option which is terrible expensive if you calling from different country) is such bull shit it's insane.

Totally disappointed ex SWTOR player....

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

where did BW claim, to be nr 2? or EA? if they havent claimed it, theyre VERY far, from being so

The only ones yelling from rooftops are the 2 or 3 left that still feel the need to spam every single swtor post.  The mature, healthy, grown adults have moved on and we are left with 2 or 3 still yelling from their rooftops about a video game they don't play.  

• museandalimuseandali Member UncommonPosts: 67

I feel the need to post here.    for the last 2 months I returned to SWTOR and played my old raid level character, the only thing, ONLY thing I ever paidout f pocket forwas the expansion, pretty much everything else that's in the cash shop is delivered to you as an item, and can be bought in the in-game auction house for credits

Raid authorization? I bought it with credits, 

Inventory slots?  Credits

Races?  Credits

Customization? Credits

Fancy non-standard lightsaber crystals?  Credits

Vanity Pets and Mounts?  You get the idea.

I played as much of the game as pay to players, and the only real difference I had at cap?  less of a credit cap which at that point was no big as all I had to spend it on was cash shop unlocks. oh, and less emotes, which I didn't see as any big friggin' deal because I was playing the game to raid., that and there were emote unlocks on the auction house as well.

Call Bioware greedy as much as you like.  Shop wouldn't exist if people weren't willing to use it, and if you were smart about things, you never had to in the first place.

Compare this to other MMOs where buying cash shop unlocks on the AH isn't an option.  DDO, LOTRO for example.  You can access far less of the overall content available to you as a buck newbie in either game, and for adventures ot far past basic level, you have to be nickle and dimed for "content packs".   and, unlilke SWTOR,

DDO has out and out permanent stat boosters and crazy powerful weapons for sale in their cash shop and I've yet to see anybody on MMORPG.com scream "pay to win/greedy Turbine hur dur"

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Didn't EA say something like that just after it launched a couple of years ago? I thought they did so it must still be true. However just in case they didn't it is easy to deduce: 

Assume that SWTOR is a purely western only game - easy now its closed its Asiatic servers.

And whilst SWTOR does allow non-western players to play assume that there are so few of them that they can be ignored.

Ignore worldwide games - those that allow people to play even if they live outside of "the west" (except SWTOR see above).. 

Ignore console games - thngs like Battlefield. Got to do this since e.g. EA booked over $100M in premium sub revenue @ $50/year for v3 which equates to so 2-3M full year subs. 

Ignore PC browser games - as above some of these might be deemed western only and they give out big numbers e.g. Stronghold Kingdoms. In fact better make it PC games in general, games like Skyrim have pretty big co-op numbers on Steam, in the hundreds of thousands,  so to avoid any ambiguity ignore them.

Ignore mobile - well obviously yeah?

If not excluded above assume that any game that hasn't published numbers is small or - if it has and might be considered western e.g. CloneWars (10M) the number has fallen away.  

And then either:

a)  Assume that EA's statement last May that it had just under 500k and 1.7M f2p accounts is still valid or

b) Assume that people who were at the community event in early November understood what Eric M (community manager) was talking about when he, reportedly, gave out 10M and 1M numbers. Now I know the 10M number has been called crap but if you think this might call into doubt the validity of the 1M number, as it has the same source, just fall back on the just under 500k number. And I know that people have said that the 1M will be a mix of f2p and sub but if you feel there may be more f2p than subs - again just fall back on the May numbers. OK?

And c) Assume that SWTOR has been totally unaffected by the launch of all new Christmas games, XBox1 and PS4 and hence numbers have not declined.

Which makes SWTOR number 1. 

Now because number 1 is a bit hard to swallow split WoW into two games, one western, one not western. Just WoW however - I know games like CloneWars (10M+) tend to be thought of as western but stick to the assumptions. This is crucial. 

Roll of the drums: SWTOR is the number 2 western mmo.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Right here:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

"When free-to-play launched in November, it "blew all expectations out of the water," said Ohlen. Subscriptions started going up again. Concurrent players on the servers went way up. Both of those statistics continue to rise. As Ohlen put it, TOR is the second biggest subscription MMORPG in the western world"

That's one piece of evidence.  After that they announced they had over 500k subs.  Then there was the quote they had over 1 million active users.  If you look at Xfire you'll see SWTOR is 3rd behind WoW and GW2 in hours which would also put it at second biggest subscription MMO since GW2 doesn't have a sub.  Then there was my rough player count which showed around 100k people online on Sunday.

You need to face the facts that SWTOR is quite successful at the moment.  No one says you can't hate the game and keep posting the same hate here day after day but your personally feelings don't change the truth of the matter.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Right here:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/

"When free-to-play launched in November, it "blew all expectations out of the water," said Ohlen. Subscriptions started going up again. Concurrent players on the servers went way up. Both of those statistics continue to rise. As Ohlen put it, TOR is the second biggest subscription MMORPG in the western world"

That's one piece of evidence.  After that they announced they had over 500k subs.  Then there was the quote they had over 1 million active users.  If you look at Xfire you'll see SWTOR is 3rd behind WoW and GW2 in hours which would also put it at second biggest subscription MMO since GW2 doesn't have a sub.  Then there was my rough player count which showed around 100k people online on Sunday.

You need to face the facts that SWTOR is quite successful at the moment.  No one says you can't hate the game and keep posting the same hate here day after day but your personally feelings don't change the truth of the matter.

I thought they said it just after launch as well - but there you have it!

And based on what Olsen said we can even bring the non-western players back into the fold as well. Of course he was still excluding console games etc. etc. and so on but no problem. with the right assumptions it is fine.

Small concern though with the way it reads. "Second largest subscription mmo ever". Suggests he is talking about an all time chart. So "EQ1 would be the third highest subscription mmo ever" (I guess). And Titanic is the second highest grossing film. 

I can see how that would work. 

Right here:

looool, why didnt they say anything, when they had 1,9 mio subs? because they didnt need the PR back then

and, because , they knew, that they wouldnt keep that many players

suddenly, when 3/4 of the playerbase have left, Things are looking rosy?

talk about a convenient miracle

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

Right here:

looool, why didnt they say anything, when they had 1,9 mio subs? because they didnt need the PR back then

and, because , they knew, that they wouldnt keep that many players

suddenly, when 3/4 of the playerbase have left, Things are looking rosy?

talk about a convenient miracle

as everyone has told you over a million times by now.  It's F2P its no longer about subs anymore its about total profit and as they have said many many times the total profit is far above what it was when they had over 1 million subs. 

Do you think by making up lies SWTOR will start to fail?  Because guess what? its not.  

okay, TODAY: roughly 1 mio customers

AT LAUNCH:  roughly 2,8 mio customers

1 mio vs 1,8 mio,,which one has the most potential?

two things keep swtor afloat:

EAs deal with disney

and the ASTRONOMICAL budget

they , pretty much , HAVE to keep it alive

and do note: we didnt even want swtor , to shut down

we just wanted something better

competition is always good for the market

monopoly is bad

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

okay, TODAY: roughly 1 mio customersAT LAUNCH:  roughly 2,8 mio customers1 mio vs 1,8 mio,,which one has the most potential?two things keep swtor afloat:EAs deal with disneyand the ASTRONOMICAL budgetthey , pretty much , HAVE to keep it aliveand do note: we didnt even want swtor , to shut downwe just wanted something bettercompetition is always good for the marketmonopoly is bad 

I find your posts amusing. You should keep it up.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by simplius Originally posted by DaRoamer Originally posted by simplius where did BW claim, to be nr 2? or EA? if they havent claimed it, theyre VERY far, from being so if they WERE nr 2, they would be yelling it from the rooftops
    Right here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/gdc-2013-james-ohlen-on-how-f2p-saved-swtor/ "When free-to-play launched in November, it "blew all expectations out of the water," said Ohlen. Subscriptions started going up again. Concurrent players on the servers went way up. Both of those statistics continue to rise. As Ohlen put it, TOR is the second biggest subscription MMORPG in the western world" That's one piece of evidence.  After that they announced they had over 500k subs.  Then there was the quote they had over 1 million active users.  If you look at Xfire you'll see SWTOR is 3rd behind WoW and GW2 in hours which would also put it at second biggest subscription MMO since GW2 doesn't have a sub.  Then there was my rough player count which showed around 100k people online on Sunday. You need to face the facts that SWTOR is quite successful at the moment.  No one says you can't hate the game and keep posting the same hate here day after day but your personally feelings don't change the truth of the matter.
    looool, why didnt they say anything, when they had 1,9 mio subs? because they didnt need the PR back then and, because , they knew, that they wouldnt keep that many players suddenly, when 3/4 of the playerbase have left, Things are looking rosy? talk about a convenient miracle
    as everyone has told you over a million times by now.  It's F2P its no longer about subs anymore its about total profit and as they have said many many times the total profit is far above what it was when they had over 1 million subs. 

Do you think by making up lies SWTOR will start to fail?  Because guess what? its not.  

Let's not get crazy here. It most certainly is about subs. It's just that it's not only about subs. There are people who prefer to sub to a game, people who prefer to not sub to a game, and people who want to do a little of both. SWToR is capturing all of those people by having a F2P system that incorporates subscriptions, premium cash shop purchases and basic cash shop purchases.

• Kicksave321Kicksave321 Member CommonPosts: 262

EAs deal with disney

monopoly is bad

Every single person on this site knows you have never and will never provide facts or links to back up your rants. 

So on on that note please provide a link that backs up anything you said here, while your at it provide links for anything you have ever said.  

• mstrsrevatimstrsrevati Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Being a huge Star Wars fan and the fact that I played Star Wars Galaxies from day one until they launched their doom which was the new player addition.  That killed the best game ever.  Anyway, as soon as SWTOR was ready to launch I was buying my account, not just a normal account but the limited addition to get the special bike and other nifty things.  After about 6months of playing I left the game because I realized this game wasn't going to be like the other at all.  The community was different, there was no housing, no real player role play just storyline, and being a crafter I hated their crafting system.  So I moved on and gave away what I could to the few people I made friends with.  I was going to try going back but after reading all of this I don't think I'll bother.  But I am curious to ask if I had a sith character and I logged in on that account would i be able to play it? or would she be deleted already? I wasn't going to get into a sub again until I decided whether I was going to stay or not, but if I can't play my sith then I don't see the point of doing the download.  Anyone have any idea whether I'd be able to play her or not? Thanks.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

*Slaps the wrist of the kid asking for a handout.*

Moving on....

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

If a game is good, I'll pay for it regardless of payment system.

SWTOR is a s.h.i.t. game - end of. The NPC AI is one of the worst I have ever seen. I am bored of seeing the NPC's repetative idle animations while I slaughter their friends in the same way, regardless of what method I am 'choosing'.

Warhammer Quest on iPad has DLC, and every bit of it has been well worth purchasing.

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

EAs deal with disney

monopoly is bad

Please provide some proof of this argument.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    To say that any company HAS to keep a game going shows a complete lack of understanding about how business works. No company keeps funding a product that isn't making money.To think EA would continue to fund an MMO that loses money is just.....weird.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Morgaren

I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good.

Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting.

So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.

Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS.

so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.

Recover your account and you will have your hotbars. You were playing a free account that has no CD key attached too the account. Sub too the game and you get everything, You think they running a charity? They need to make money somehow. Hand out everything for free and they close their doors. 

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Morgaren I was coming back to the game, lost my account info, was making a new account, everything's good. Made a new toon, couldn't roll a sith, had to pay for that or unlock in in legacy.....ok, that's cool too, gotta make money somehow, saw new races, that's interesting. So then I am playing, was enjoying it, done the story before but you know, was enjoying it all the same. So I got some new moves, was telling myself "I want to put that rush ability above my builder, cause it will make for easier clicking." cause I am a clicker.   Then it came up, I HAD TO PURCHASE THE ABILITY TO HAVE EXTRA HOTBARS. so I uninstalled the game, came here to moan, and warn people talk about how horrible the cash shop is in the game, well here is a prime example.  
    Recover your account and you will have your hotbars. You were playing a free account that has no CD key attached too the account. Sub too the game and you get everything, You think they running a charity? They need to make money somehow. Hand out everything for free and they close their doors. 

People have already tried to explain this. The fact that they locked themselves out of their own account seems kind of lost on them.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

While I do agree that charging for actionbars is about the greediest thing I have ever seen, I dont have an issue with most of the other F2P restrictions in the game since there is a way to get around most of them.  I like the storylines and feel paying for a month or two of playtime is worth it.  Thats $30 for a game you can play unlimited for 60 days.  By that time you should have a level 55 toon who can farm Makeb or Ilum for comms and credits.  I just run around Ilum for an hour and make $100k in credits and I'm not even trying to max my money making.  After that, you can buy whatever you want from the auction house.  Cartel packs are only $250k each and there are plenty of unlocks for sale way below $100k there.  That means for $30 you can enjoy just about everything in the game.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by mstrsrevati
    Being a huge Star Wars fan and the fact that I played Star Wars Galaxies from day one until they launched their doom which was the new player addition.  That killed the best game ever.  Anyway, as soon as SWTOR was ready to launch I was buying my account, not just a normal account but the limited addition to get the special bike and other nifty things.  After about 6months of playing I left the game because I realized this game wasn't going to be like the other at all.  The community was different, there was no housing, no real player role play just storyline, and being a crafter I hated their crafting system.  So I moved on and gave away what I could to the few people I made friends with.  I was going to try going back but after reading all of this I don't think I'll bother.  But I am curious to ask if I had a sith character and I logged in on that account would i be able to play it? or would she be deleted already? I wasn't going to get into a sub again until I decided whether I was going to stay or not, but if I can't play my sith then I don't see the point of doing the download.  Anyone have any idea whether I'd be able to play her or not? Thanks.

I wouldn't take notice of some forum posts in this thread , it's not all doom and gloom I assure you. Now to your question , no characters have been deleted at all ever. So yes you will be able to play on her , the only thing that might have happened to her though is she may have been moved to another server , possibly loosing her name and/or lost her name recently due to freeing up some names. Other than that you will be a preferred player and have various restrictions , unless you subb. You will have 4 skill bars though as a preferred player like you did 6 months after launch. You have a credit cap of 350 k as a preferred too.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]