Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forbes Predicting Biggest Disaster of 2014

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by DrDwarf
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by Ozivois

The Forbes article is way to opinionated on not based on any facts. Lots of opinions, and bad ones at that.

Regarding console gamers not being used to subscription fees: While that may be true, console gamers are used to buying one or two $60 games per month; games that have a very short shelf life. Console gamers will realize they can stop spending $120 per month on new titles by sticking with one game and a $15 subscription; if the game's experience is compelling then everyone wins.

So you are going to argue against an article that you state is full of bad opinions with "console gamers are used to buying several games a month for $60 each and they will make the switch to buying one that they will have to pay $15 a month to continue playing once they realize they can".

Riiiiiight......and entire market is going to make that switch because TESO is just THAT good of a game!

Well, guess those single player gamer makers better start packing up their offices since TESO is now going to kill SP games.

Indeed.

The above is a pretty good example of how fanbois ignore almost anything to justify their own position including as you say the idea that console gamers will change their behaviours almost overnight so that ESO is a success !

It won't be overnight, they will have a month. You're stating that console gamers are too stupid to realize that the game will cost a sub a month when FFXI was out many console gamers were paying a sub to play that. This isnt the first mmo to charge a sub on console.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Fearum

The Forbes article is way to opinionated on not based on any facts. Lots of opinions, and bad ones at that.

Regarding console gamers not being used to subscription fees: While that may be true, console gamers are used to buying one or two $60 games per month; games that have a very short shelf life. Console gamers will realize they can stop spending $120 per month on new titles by sticking with one game and a $15 subscription; if the game's experience is compelling then everyone wins.

So you are going to argue against an article that you state is full of bad opinions with "console gamers are used to buying several games a month for $60 each and they will make the switch to buying one that they will have to pay $15 a month to continue playing once they realize they can".

Riiiiiight......and entire market is going to make that switch because TESO is just THAT good of a game!

Well, guess those single player gamer makers better start packing up their offices since TESO is now going to kill SP games.

Indeed.

The above is a pretty good example of how fanbois ignore almost anything to justify their own position including as you say the idea that console gamers will change their behaviours almost overnight so that ESO is a success !

It won't be overnight, they will have a month. You're stating that console gamers are too stupid to realize that the game will cost a sub a month when FFXI was out many console gamers were paying a sub to play that. This isnt the first mmo to charge a sub on console.

How many FFXI players subbed at it's peak? and how many of them were console players? I'm not meaning to take sides, I just don't know. That said I was never under the impression it was a majority or even a significant number.

Originally posted by ozmono

blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah

blah blah 

blah blah blah

I really don't care or think it has anything to do with anything other than an argument on who really cares about this issue if you even want to call it an issue. I was more or less throwing it out there because he said console gamers don't know what a sub is. All I care about is if the game is fun for me, I don't care how many of millions of people play the game, as long as I'm having fun that is all that matters. I'm not investing stock in the company and following their market value so what the hell do the numbers of subscribers at peak use have to do with me the player. There is only one server so you will never know unless the game is really really low on population.

Indeed.

How many FFXI players subbed at it's peak? and how many of them were console players? I'm not meaning to take sides, I just don't know. That said I was never under the impression it was a majority or even a significant number.

I really don't care or think it has anything to do with anything other than an argument on who really cares about this issue if you even want to call it in issue about the actual game. All I care about is if the game is fun for me, I don't care how many of millions of people play the game, as long as I'm having fun that is all that matters.

All the power to you.

You just raised something I was interested in, also raised by the forbes article in question. The idea that console players generally won't sub. I don't know if it's true but I want to.

blah blah blah! blah? blah blah!!!

You just raised something I was interested in, also raised by the forbes article in question. The idea that console players generally won't sub. I don't know if it's true but I want to.

Well the interwebs are at your fingers young padawan, go forth and find your answers.

lets clean this nonsense up a bit...

Well the interwebs are at your fingers young padawan, go forth and find your answers.

A little ahead of you there mate ;) Tried, couldn't even find credible numbers for FFXI in general let alone console subscribers. Not that I tried extremely hard but I did have a little looksy.

blah blah blah!

A little ahead of you there mate ;) Tried, couldn't even find credible numbers for FFXI in general let alone console subscribers. Not that I tried extremely hard but I did have a little looksy.

Even DCUO had a sub at first, I paid it for a few months on the PS3 and the game was pretty damn populated. Then Sony got hacked or something and they brought down the whole online play for months(? can't remember how long it was) but then they came back and made the game F2P and I never really got into it again after that because Rift came out and I played that for 6 months.

I'm not a fanboi of anything really, maybe 3 faction AvA but other than that all I care about is a fun game without the intrusion of cash shops so subs don't bother me at all. I wouldnt mind a B2P but even than they still have to focus on getting money and it seems they are always trying to point you to the cash shop for something. I don't like cash shops in games, pretty much is what I'm saying :)

blah blah blah!

Even DCUO had a sub at first, I paid it for a few months on the PS3 and the game was pretty damn populated. Then Sony got hacked or something and they brought down the whole online play for months(? can't remember how long it was) but then they came back and made the game F2P and I never really got into it again after that because Rift came out and I played that for 6 months.

I'm not a fanboi of anything really, maybe 3 faction AvA but other than that all I care about is a fun game without the intrusion of cash shops so subs don't bother me at all. I wouldnt mind a B2P but even than they still have to focus on getting money and it seems they are always trying to point you to the cash shop for something. I don't like cash shops in games, pretty much is what I'm saying :)

Fair enough. I hope you weren't under the impression I was trying to call you a fanboi or anything of that nature. Just interested in the claim that the article made. As I said I wasn't trying to take sides.

blah blah blah!

Fair enough. I hope you weren't under the impression I was trying to call you a fanboi or anything of that nature. Just interested in the claim that the article made. As I said I wasn't trying to take sides.

No, just throwing that out there lol. Seen it thrown around in the thread before.

The article I think is based on the fact that most games in the last few years that have had the sub model at launch failed only because of the sub model. I really don't see a payment model the downfall of a game (not fact here but I can only give my opinion on my personal experience) more than the failure of the game as a whole to hold on to its own population. Some people seem to be under the impression that just because a game has a sub payment model that it will fail, failing to even look at the product they are trying to sell in the long run. 

Is this game worthy of a sub? I have no idea yet, its impossible to tell until we see how they are going to keep the large game world content updates rolling out. Also really can't judge on this until I get in to the game and play it for a few months, since WoW I have not subed to a game longer than 6 months, one being Rift and the other was DF UW. Both I had a great time for 6 months in but just lost interest and quit. There are others I have played with the sub model that only gave me about 3 months of entertainment.

I only played one B2P game, that being GW2 and played it for 3 months. They only had one real content update to the world with that crappy little zone they added and all the other stuff was fluff. I don't play F2P games because haven't found one that peaked my interest enough to check it out.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

If it wasn't for FFXIV's new success with ARR and their subscription model, I would immediately write off ESO's subscription model just for it being a subscription model.  Although with ARR's success, it's hard to just immediately write it off.

However ARR has several advantages over ESO that I believe will make a difference.  First off, the box is half the price that ESO will cost.  ARR's budget cost of 30 dollars, and even a budget sub price of 13 dollars is far more welcoming than a 60 dollar box price with a 15 dollar sub fee, AND a micro transaction shop to top it off.

Secondly, ARR PC launched alongside the PS3 version of the game.  Immediately allowing two versions of the game available for gamer's right out the gate.  The PS3 version being very well optimized and the controls for the game being spot on, allowing the PS3 version of the game to be a very solid platform to play the game on.  Whereas, ESO will only launch for PC and Mac in April, and it won't be till June that we'll see the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game released, two consoles that are still brand spanking new and don't quite have a foothold in gamer's living rooms yet.

Lastly, the part in the OP's article where he questioned the audience of the game I have to agree with.  An MMO Elder Scrolls game is awfully pointless.  It's built it's legacy off of top notch single player games.  Meaning it doesn't have the audience that ARR had when it launched.  ARR had many players come from the very successful FFXI.  That game having stood the test of time is about ready to call it quits and the players on it are ready to move onto the next iteration which is ARR.  This is a wide audience in itself, but coupled with the vast amount's of Final Fantasy fans as well as MMO fan's in general who like a solid title.  Mean's that ARR started out with an advantage over ESO.

I looked at an end of December realm list of how many people are on each of the realms.  And it totaled to about 1.5 million subs worldwide for ARR.  Which seems pretty strong.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    I looked at an end of December realm list of how many people are on each of the realms.  And it totaled to about 1.5 million subs worldwide for ARR.  Which seems pretty strong.

Sounds legit.

Originally posted by colddog04

Sounds legit.

http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/fascinating-ffxiv-population-census.8611/

But you'll believe what you want anyway.  That's what ignorant, stubborn people do.

But it was November, not December.

Sounds legit.

But you'll believe what you want anyway.  That's what ignorant, stubborn people do.

Do you know what the difference between a subscriber and a registered user is? Once you find out, it'll help cure up that ignorance you are so ironically accusing me of.

Sounds legit.

Do you know what the difference between a subscriber and a registered user is? Once you find out, it'll help cure up that ignorance you are so ironically accusing me of.

Wow, and you did exactly what I said you were going to do...I must be psychic.

Sounds legit.

I'm sorry to say this, but you are the one ignoring facts right in front of your face. Here is their financial report with slides:

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q2slides.pdf

It shows that they sold 1.45 million units in the first month and retained 600k subscribers. I know you will probably still believe that you are right for whatever reason, but it really is you that are being ignorant and stubborn. There are not and never have been 1.5 million subs. It is extremely likely there are far fewer than 600k at this point. I think this has already been gone over multiple times on this forum because some other guy kept spreading the misinformation.

Here is the slide that helps get the message across:

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

You do realize if they reached 1.5 million "subs" ... it would be all over the media. I am on top of the media as well when it comes to gaming. I like to know what is going on in the industry everyday.

MMO's don't really get that many subs these days. Certainly not 1.5 million. WoW was unique and I don't think that will ever happen again unless something changes.

That 1.5 million number is registered. Meaning they probably sold 1.5 million copies of the game. Which isn't all that big of a deal with how cheap the game is. More people are likely to try it, if the price is right. If their game was $60 box, and $15 per month .. I doubt they would have even sold that many copies.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    I think he has a point somewhat. Console players absolutely will not pay a monthly subscription fee to play it. They're just not that type of gamer, they're the pay $60 for a game, play it til they beat it, then move on type of gamers. I think the game will have a devoted fanbase like SWTOR did ((though no one can do as horribly as the SWTOR team did)), and end up selling a lot to begin with but dwindle down to a few hundred thousand players. Having played it, I don't see it being a big blockbuster mmorpg.

Consider that there are already subscription packages on the console to gain access to further content/services. Also take into account that many console owners/users also own and use a PC for gaming as well, I know I do and I'm pretty darn sure I'm not the only person on this planet that subscribes to MMO's and consoles when I find a game worth subscribing to.

When it's worth subscribing to is they key part in your reply. If you're a die hard fan of Elder scrolls you will probably do so, but it's not a good enough  to me, to warrant one.

IMO a  die hard Elder Scrolls fan most probably wont even make it through the first month.

Originally posted by Cromica
    Originally posted by AwDiddums
    I think he has a point somewhat. Console players absolutely will not pay a monthly subscription fee to play it. They're just not that type of gamer, they're the pay $60 for a game, play it til they beat it, then move on type of gamers. I think the game will have a devoted fanbase like SWTOR did ((though no one can do as horribly as the SWTOR team did)), and end up selling a lot to begin with but dwindle down to a few hundred thousand players. Having played it, I don't see it being a big blockbuster mmorpg.

Consider that there are already subscription packages on the console to gain access to further content/services. Also take into account that many console owners/users also own and use a PC for gaming as well, I know I do and I'm pretty darn sure I'm not the only person on this planet that subscribes to MMO's and consoles when I find a game worth subscribing to.

When it's worth subscribing to is they key part in your reply. If you're a die hard fan of Elder scrolls you will probably do so, but it's not a good enough  to me, to warrant one.

IMO a  die hard Elder Scrolls fan most probably wont even make it through the first month.

This

I am a die hard fan of TES, and let me just say, I won't be buying ESO. I am going to ignore it even being part of the TES series. It never existed in my eyes. It's a wannabe TES game.

As I said in another thread though, for a typical themepark mmo, it's decent. So in my eyes, the ones who will stay are those who enjoy themepark MMO games. The question though is .. how long will "they" stay?

Sounds legit.

I'm sorry to say this, but you are the one ignoring facts right in front of your face. Here is their financial report with slides:

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/14q2slides.pdf

It shows that they sold 1.45 million units in the first month and retained 600k subscribers. I know you will probably still believe that you are right for whatever reason, but it really is you that are being ignorant and stubborn. There are not and never have been 1.5 million subs. It is extremely likely there are far fewer than 600k at this point. I think this has already been gone over multiple times on this forum because some other guy kept spreading the misinformation.

Here is the slide that helps get the message across:

Alright, you got me, I mistook those for subs, however it's also ignorant to assume that the game is bleeding subs considering there has been a massive content patch for the game, as well as sales and further rewards for consistent subs.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Brabbit1987
    Originally posted by Cromica Originally posted by Ice-Queen Originally posted by AwDiddums Originally posted by Ice-Queen I think he has a point somewhat. Console players absolutely will not pay a monthly subscription fee to play it. They're just not that type of gamer, they're the pay $60 for a game, play it til they beat it, then move on type of gamers. I think the game will have a devoted fanbase like SWTOR did ((though no one can do as horribly as the SWTOR team did)), and end up selling a lot to begin with but dwindle down to a few hundred thousand players. Having played it, I don't see it being a big blockbuster mmorpg.

This

I am a die hard fan of TES, and let me just say, I won't be buying ESO. I am going to ignore it even being part of the TES series. It never existed in my eyes. It's a wannabe TES game.

As I said in another thread though, for a typical themepark mmo, it's decent. So in my eyes, the ones who will stay are those who enjoy themepark MMO games. The question though is .. how long will "they" stay?

If history tells us anything, about 3 months. Then they'll move to relaunch as a premium or F2P title, and then they'll admit the mistakes they made (but won't go so far as to admit Matt Firor was a mistake).

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

You do realize if they reached 1.5 million "subs" ... it would be all over the media. I am on top of the media as well when it comes to gaming. I like to know what is going on in the industry everyday.

MMO's don't really get that many subs these days. Certainly not 1.5 million. WoW was unique and I don't think that will ever happen again unless something changes.

That 1.5 million number is registered. Meaning they probably sold 1.5 million copies of the game. Which isn't all that big of a deal with how cheap the game is. More people are likely to try it, if the price is right. If their game was $60 box, and $15 per month .. I doubt they would have even sold that many copies.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8109/Pathfinder-Onlines-Ryan-Dancey-Defends-Elder-Scrolls-Online-and-Subscriptions.html

Originally posted by spizz

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/8109/Pathfinder-Onlines-Ryan-Dancey-Defends-Elder-Scrolls-Online-and-Subscriptions.html

I am unsure why you posted that. I assume it was to prove a point .. but I don't see it. o.o

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I am unsure why you posted that. I assume it was to prove a point .. but I don't see it. o.o

Well, it was interesting for me to read about games I never heard before with estimated 3 million subscribers.

Well, it was interesting for me to read about games I never heard before with estimated 3 million subscribers.

If you don't keep up with what is going on in the industry, ya that can happen. However, Club penguin has had several articles written on it. Matter a fact, Club Penguin was a project created to get ready for the younger generation who use social media or something like that.

Thing though is there are only 2 games that are over 1.5 million, and the other besides Club Penguin is WoW. Not to mention, I don't even know if you could legitimately count club penguin as an MMO. I thought it was similar to something like Neo pets. Though maybe it's more like Gaia Online. Not sure, never really looked into it enough.

I feel like there are just way to many factors to really include Club Penguin as a part of MMO numbers.