Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes would only be “YOUR STARTER POINT.” That is no longer true!!!

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
We have had a lot of marketing centered around being able to play how you want, mainly that your class would only be “your starting point.” That is no longer true.  As it stands now, your class isn’t just “your starting point,” but it determines what you are unable to learn later or do later by way of the classes you did not choose.  

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

What is it with you and constantly starting threads that gives us no chance to properly reply? xD

By replying in any proper manner, it'll just break the NDA.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

If i ever start a company that have NDA´s one of my questions would be

State your internet handle and any MMORPG beta you have been in.

That should weed out a good chunk of them. =P

This have been a good conversation

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    /sigh
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    something that fundamental, at this point, so close to release shouldnt be in question.  the NDA needs to be dropped its only doing harm
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I dont care, just tell me if the pvp is good or not.
  • CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267
    I'm perfectly fine with the "Limitation" of choosing a Class and never being able to change it.  You choose a Race, then you Choose a Class.  Everything else might be changed or revised.  But no game that I know of has ever allowed you to change your Class in an MMORPG.  And at least part of the reason is that they (Any set of Developers... Pick One here) don't want everyone to be able to reroll their character to whatever the "Uber Flavor of the Month" might be.  That doesn't work in a Multiplayer game.
  • BoreilBoreil Member UncommonPosts: 448
    OP is totally 100% untrue, your class IS only your starting point, not one single thing about that has changed at all.

• TresteroTrestero Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Mabinogi is the only one I could name. Every few weeks you can reset your character's level and change focus while keeping your skill ranks, all that the class system does is give you double training EXP for that particular skillset since it's one of those games where you have to use skills to increase their effectiveness, and every time there's an update that adds new combat styles everybody jumps on it within a day. It's actually worked pretty well since the reset intrinsically removes the idea of a level cap and running out of things to do is nearly impossible.
  • r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Classes will only give you 3 class skill lines, there are tons or other skill lines totally not dependent from the class you chose (armor, weapon, guild, world, empereror)
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

For one thing, this isnt a NDA break, since this is info from Developers.

Also I didnt say there arent other skill lines. But Classes being just a foundation, no longer is true. Since you cant cross skills with other classes. So some builds arent possible. Cant just make a class as you see fit, to your liking.

Cant just build a class. The current class system is a big restriction that was marketed as a small foundation starter point.

I am just informing people to this set of info, which is also being discussed on other TESO communities. So nothing to be offended about.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Well given that we only have 5-7 active abilities at anyone time to begin with and we know that each weapon has a skill line, each guild has a skill line (at least two are confirmed) and there are other skill lines in game does it really matter?

I mean yea you won't be able to put the most powerful heal, taunt, mitigation buff, mob debuff, and DPS ability on your ability bar all at the same time.  But did anyone really think we ever where going to be able to?  I mean TES games are fun but they have a history of no shortage of unbalanced god mode builds.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    You can start with any class and end up being a healer, tank or melee or ranged DPS. Sure your class skill line is unique too your class but there are a ton more skill lines too pick from. You really have a lot of freedom. 
  • AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by Adokas

What is it with you and constantly starting threads that gives us no chance to properly reply? xD

By replying in any proper manner, it'll just break the NDA.

Stating your opinion about what the op posted has NOTHING to do with and NDA. IF what the OP is stating is true, whether it is or not, would you like it?

The only reason people like you, Adokas, post replies like this, is because you want to say that you can't answer w/o breaking the NDA. Therefore stating that you are in BETA. When in fact the OP can be answered w/o ever even mentioning beta. 

This is not the first post that the OP has made in this manner. Secondly, if the information regarding this subject is freely available for all, then naturally I apologize. I have simply not seen so.

And why the heck would I want to reply like that, just to say I can't answer? I'd love to answer, and go more in depth. However, from what I have read, seen and been told, you can barely even say you're in the beta, so, that is where I got my reply from.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The only difference in TESO is the addition of the trinity for grouping. Even that is highly open as any class can tank, any class can heal and any class can dps.

The most basic explanation is that picking a class ONLY excludes the skill lines from other classes. All weapons, all guilds, all world, all armor and all Alliance War skills are freely available to everyone. Any addition to those categories will be open to everyone.

Because it is multi-player and offers grouping which is new to ESO games the developers felt a more trinity approach and greater class identity would benefit their game. We can disagree or agree but your character as a starting point is really no different.

I could likely randomly search for 2 official vids that inform us of this information as far back as a year ago.

You stay sassy!

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    You can start with any class and end up being a healer, tank or melee or ranged DPS. Sure your class skill line is unique too your class but there are a ton more skill lines too pick from. You really have a lot of freedom. 

^^ This.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• ZerdZerd Member UncommonPosts: 26

OP,  you're using the same argument the developers are using for their method of character progression (with skills) to say how it's not true.

They never said you'd start as a sorcerer and have access to skills from another classes skill tree. The way it's been described by them is 100% true. You start as your base class, have your skill tress. Then also have a skill tree for each style of weapon (much similar to GW2 but without the inherent weapon restriction each class has) same with armor, racial choice, faction choice, guild choice, etc. There are a lot of choices for how to develop your character. You use all of the choices you make to customize your class to make it your own. That's always been how it was described and hasn't changed.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

In AC there was only one or two builds that anyone played. That's the danger of a totally free system, having some structure with flexibility is the best way it can be done.

However it will all be in the implementation, its a very tricky balancing act.

This discussion has been closed.