Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why This game will be as successful as SKYRIM and past ES games.

Comments

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

The truth about The Elder Scrolls Online.

1. It's not Skyrim Online. Repeat. It is NOT Skyrim Online.

Skyrim and Elder Scrolls lovers, you should not look at TESO just like the new chapter of The Elder Scrolls saga just with a lot of other players around you. If you think so, you will be disappointed. Creating a MMO is very different in creating a single player, in a single player you can do a lot of things just because you are the only human being playing, in a MMO some things cannot be permitted to let other people have fun (Killing NPC giving quests? no way. Modding every aspect of the game, from mob difficulty to graphical impact? No, everyone should play the same game. Just to name two game-breaking things in a MMO that can be done in a single player).  But a single player game CAN be adapted to play at its best in a MMO environment, and Zenimax has done a good work, with a big world full of places to explore (and in TESO you will have to explore, you won't be taken from quest hub to the next hub by progressing in the main storyline), interesting quests, dungeons to discover, tresures with treasure maps, events changing the world (you are called to fight invasor setting the town in flames, and you see the town where you have been before with alla buildings in fire). There are a lot of things to do in the PvE environment, and every single part of the PvE environment, from characters to quests, from environments to visual style, resembles all of what you can have seen in Skyrim

2. It's not a WoW-clone. Repeat. It is NOT a WoW-clone

TESO is a themepark MMO. Yes. But it's in no way a WoW-clone themepark. First of all, in TESO there are a lot of sandbox/freedom elements, from the building of your character with skill progression, to the exploration of the world, from the user interface so minimalist and that leave a lot of space to look and be part of the environment to the action combat system. Players who want to play a WoW-like experience, try to approch to TESO with an open mind, lokk at what TESO can offer and give you, not what WoW does and TESO does in different ways.Try to look at TESO as a different way to think a themepark, a game where levelling is only a nice addition to a great playing experience, try not to think only at what you can do at level cap and try to have fun during the journy to level cap, try to adapt to the TESO UI and do not miss the screen fll of action bars, minimap, indicators, quest logs, combat logs and all other things that remove your attention from the beatiful world you are playing in.

I could make a 3rd point stating "it's not a DAoC-clone" because I'm sure that after release there will be a lot of threads full of features of DAoC missing or not working the same in TESO, but I did not play DAoC, nor I played AvA in TESO nor I am too interested in this aspect of the game, so I stop my wall of text here.

TL;DR: The Elder Scrolls Online is not Skyrim, is not WoW, is not DAoC. It's The Elder Scrolls Online, try to look at it with this in mind.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by muthax

One question: if he is a shill (not questioning your line of thoughts) those peopel who spent 300+ messages pouring hate on this game (a game that they won't play) and trying to force their negative view on others, what are they?

I feel sad for people who do this. 

That's an easy one man. Chances are that if you actually find some one with three hundred posts hating on ESO for not being Skyrim worthy then you are dealing with this guy...

Be on the look out.

Now I am scared... really scared

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by rodarin
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

There are people breaking the NDA some wholeheartedly, but the threads are instantly deleted because theyre mostly negative. That is why anyone with a brain knows that the POSITIVE stuff that is breaking the NDA being allowed to stay on sites is just more marketing hype. And the worst type.

Anyone says one negative thing about ESO on any sight now gets emails and messages. Hell one of my accounts at Bethesda was banned, and I didnt say a single thing about the beta. But it was critical of the game in a blatant NDA breaking fanboy thread. Thread stayed as did the NDA breaking comments and I got an email saying I was banned from participating in the ESO section of the forums. LOL.

Other third party sites, including this one are also cracking down heavily on critical comments. Because they get money from these companies and I am sure the pressure is there to try and keep the spin positive.

I think it depends on how you say it and where you are getting the info from. You can comment on any of the game play at PAX, you can't comment on the beta (which can be a difficult line to walk).

As far as being called on the carpet for "negative things", twice I have submitted e-mails after their surveys, with positive but also with negative things, things I thought "were a shame" and twice I received very nice and encouraging responses. No banning me from their forum or their betas.

I suspect the "honest critical remarks" that players claim are an issue are more about directly breaking nda or about "how you say them".

You can criticize and comment on negative things without ripping the person/organization a "new one".

Don't pay attention to him, the only threads being closed are blatant violations of teh NDA and the flame fests some individuals are mounting up in their psycothic crusade to 'destroy ESO' and save the world or something

Hell knows no wrath like a frustrated nerd (with small reproductive system)

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

I think it depends on how you say it and where you are getting the info from. You can comment on any of the game play at PAX, you can't comment on the beta (which can be a difficult line to walk).

As far as being called on the carpet for "negative things", twice I have submitted e-mails after their surveys, with positive but also with negative things, things I thought "were a shame" and twice I received very nice and encouraging responses. No banning me from their forum or their betas.

I suspect the "honest critical remarks" that players claim are an issue are more about directly breaking nda or about "how you say them".

You can criticize and comment on negative things without ripping the person/organization a "new one".

Big difference between doing a beta survey and talking about it on open forums. Same as the beta forums I am sure. I am sure people say a lot of things there that obviously wouldnt fly here.

As for the comment above and 'trying to destroy ESO" LMAO yeah because random forum posters have that power. besides Zenimax is doing a lot more than every forum critic ever could think of doing in that regard.

Big difference between doing a beta survey and talking about it on open forums. Same as the beta forums I am sure. I am sure people say a lot of things there that obviously wouldnt fly here.

As for the comment above and 'trying to destroy ESO" LMAO yeah because random forum posters have that power. besides Zenimax is doing a lot more than every forum critic ever could think of doing in that regard.

LOL I didn't say you or others have a chance at that

I just said that that's what you think.... and that's the saddest part

Though really I was referrign more to jj82 and his 340 messages dedicated to "save the world from the abomination named ESO!!"

That guy is so full of it

PS If you had been in the stress test weekend you'd know how much bull your statement is

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Originally posted by fistorm
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Skyrim and ESO are two completely different gametypes, i won't even dare compare them.

Based on everything released and said so far by screenshots and devs, I think we can pretty much say they are  both worth to be ES games and quality of games every ES fan would expect from the ES franchise at the SKYRIM and above benchmark.

Also paying box price of SKYRIM every four months as a SUB, would be acceptable to anyone who has a console, because WHO wouldn't buy atleast one console game every 4 months?  Because every four months sub would be the same as a buying one game very four months, or  3 games a year, that's not a lot of cash to have a high quality SKYRIM that you can live in with other fans and have NEW CONTENT for a SKYRIM quality game!

Being an ES fan since ARENA and also a beta tester of ESO, this statement is completely false. TESO has "similar" aspects to that of the single player games but they are nothing alike.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

From all the official videos and information we got, it's more like a GW2 clone, but without everything that makes GW2 unique and fun, things like dynamic events, free roaming, and good action combat.

It's actually amusing that GW2 is closer to Skyrim than TESO...

I love GW2 but I disagree. if you don't understand how ESO combat works is fine, if you didn't go round exploring is fine. Just don't make your personal opinions sound like a statement of truth because they aren't

I like ESO because it's what GW2 could have been and isn't. I just hope devs stick to their guns (unlike Arenanet and the gear grind debacle) and ignore people asking to make this game different from what it is just because they don't like it and don't know how to adapt

And jesus... ESO combat is AWESOME if you aren't completely useless at videogames

• matiasvidalmatiasvidal Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    It's Elder Scrolls in name only. Don't get all excited over publisher hype videos. 

I do because all the videos even the in depth ones show that this game is exactly like SKYRIM, and when SKYRIM fans realize this, I think this will be the most successful next  gen games, that sets a benchmark for all MMORPG's that come after it.

I think you are going to be disappointed.   However, I agree with your original premise that it will sell like gangbusters, and make a ton of money.   Initially.   The question is where it will plateau with players once the intial bloom has faded.

I hate to say it, but I think it is those who do not realize how close this game is to SKYRIM that will be disappointed they did not try this game, expecially if they are SKYRIM fans, to the gathering, to the exploration,  to the ADVENTURE ZONES, Heroic RAIDS, and dungeons at 50+.  Watch the official videos yourself and make your own opinion, don't let others tell you its any different,  the game company has never lied and has always done what its said.

I think if your a SKYRIM fan, you should watch close what people say after the game is released, I think you will find its EXACTLY the fantasy all ES games the devs say it is.   I know you all are trying to look out for my feelings, but there is no need, its coming in three months, and I ask you to at least read all my posts in this thread after it is released and see how much it matches to what I speculate based off all the videos and things said by the devs, and the history of ES games.

Good luck.  I think all I had to say and could be said is in this thread.  I find myself facing same things I proved with posts earlier in the the thread,  Take care, I'll check in from time to time till release.  I hope you enjoyed the many debates I gave.

I wonder if this guy even believes the things he's saying lol. Have you played the beta? Color me a hater, but TESO delivers a very different experience when compared to that of the past TES games. It's not even close to what you claim, an online Skyrim. It's more like TES: The MMO. Also, saying that everyone who played Skyrim will buy TESO is a -huge- stretch. Why?

Because sub fees and MMO. Many players are not willing to pay for it, simple as that. It's not a matter of pricing, it's a matter of willingness. 

Now, is TESO good? You bet it is, I'll be playing it alongside GW2. It's the next big thing in the MMO scene, and I am excited to explore it. But is it what you claim? Not for a minute, no. We can't be sure, but I see it going F2P already. There's just not enough MMO players out there to keep a sub game nowadays, is what I think. Too much too fast, so many games out there, it's hard to keep one player in one side long enough.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

From all the official videos and information we got, it's more like a GW2 clone, but without everything that makes GW2 unique and fun, things like dynamic events, free roaming, and good action combat.

Dark Anchors are like dynamic events, free roaming is in TESO just like in GW2, obviously you will go in some zones where mobs are too powerful for you (take a level 10 char of GW2 to Orr....) and action combat in TESO is just an action combat, similar but not equal to the one in skyrim

TESO is TESO, but if you prefer playing GW2 the game is still open :) I sold my GW2 after a month of playing, I did not like doing events without a single reson to do them only to zerg "big mobs", I want quests with a story and I want to feel I am the hero saving the world, in GW2 you are just a soldier amongs a lot of other soldiers.

Originally posted by matiasvidal
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski
    It's Elder Scrolls in name only. Don't get all excited over publisher hype videos. 

I do because all the videos even the in depth ones show that this game is exactly like SKYRIM, and when SKYRIM fans realize this, I think this will be the most successful next  gen games, that sets a benchmark for all MMORPG's that come after it.

I think you are going to be disappointed.   However, I agree with your original premise that it will sell like gangbusters, and make a ton of money.   Initially.   The question is where it will plateau with players once the intial bloom has faded.

I hate to say it, but I think it is those who do not realize how close this game is to SKYRIM that will be disappointed they did not try this game, expecially if they are SKYRIM fans, to the gathering, to the exploration,  to the ADVENTURE ZONES, Heroic RAIDS, and dungeons at 50+.  Watch the official videos yourself and make your own opinion, don't let others tell you its any different,  the game company has never lied and has always done what its said.

I think if your a SKYRIM fan, you should watch close what people say after the game is released, I think you will find its EXACTLY the fantasy all ES games the devs say it is.   I know you all are trying to look out for my feelings, but there is no need, its coming in three months, and I ask you to at least read all my posts in this thread after it is released and see how much it matches to what I speculate based off all the videos and things said by the devs, and the history of ES games.

Good luck.  I think all I had to say and could be said is in this thread.  I find myself facing same things I proved with posts earlier in the the thread,  Take care, I'll check in from time to time till release.  I hope you enjoyed the many debates I gave.

I wonder if this guy even believes the things he's saying lol. Have you played the beta? Color me a hater, but TESO delivers a very different experience when compared to that of the past TES games. It's not even close to what you claim, an online Skyrim. It's more like TES: The MMO. Also, saying that everyone who played Skyrim will buy TESO is a -huge- stretch. Why?

Because sub fees and MMO. Many players are not willing to pay for it, simple as that. It's not a matter of pricing, it's a matter of willingness. 

Now, is TESO good? You bet it is, I'll be playing it alongside GW2. It's the next big thing in the MMO scene, and I am excited to explore it. But is it what you claim? Not for a minute, no. We can't be sure, but I see it going F2P already. There's just not enough MMO players out there to keep a sub game nowadays, is what I think. Too much too fast, so many games out there, it's hard to keep one player in one side long enough.

I don't think subs will be a big problem, mostly thanks to their server architecture.

You see what 'kills' a MMO is usually:

1) people scream because they have a queue and scream till devs open another bazillion servers (where no one goes because everyone wants to play on the servers marke FULL

2) after 1 month locusts leave

3) servers starts to look empty because they have the population to fill 10 servers but the Ragers forced the devs to open 3 times that number

4)trolls and haters start to follow daily server status and graphing it to further prove that the "game is dying"

5) game 'dies' (translated for non retards: game keeps living and making money but it doesn't have 10 million players so it's a 'failure')

All of these points are less likely to happen because of the megaserver

Though really I was referrign more to jj82 and his 340 messages dedicated to "save the world from the abomination named ESO!!"

PS If you had been in the stress test weekend you'd know how much bull your statement is

Been in several of them actually.  I stand by my statement.

But will add this, I doubt you have seen any other than the one this past weekend. So points of reference are non existent. 

Been in several of them actually.  I stand by my statement.

But will add this, I doubt you have seen any other than the one this past weekend. So points of reference are non existent. 

Oh they are and without going into details I know most people who hated the previous beta test fell in love with the changes in this one. You are just being a phony with your cagey remarks that say nothing. Just take a break and go to do soem hating in another forum

Change is good

I love GW2 but I disagree. if you don't understand how ESO combat works is fine, if you didn't go round exploring is fine. Just don't make your personal opinions sound like a statement of truth because they aren't

I'll destroy your arguments to microscopic bits once the NDA is lifted, until then, I will respect it, unlike you. Any combat video, authorized of course and not leaked, will prove that I'm right anyway.

I like ESO because it's what GW2 could have been and isn't. I just hope devs stick to their guns (unlike Arenanet and the gear grind debacle) and ignore people asking to make this game different from what it is just because they don't like it and don't know how to adapt

I've been playing MMORPGs since UO beta (and some muds before), I've played them all, theme park, sandbox, hybrid, so don't worry too much about be adaptation capability.

And jesus... ESO combat is AWESOME if you aren't completely useless at videogames

See you when the NDA is lifted. It's gonna be fun.

Definetely

When people see the amount of bull that all you people have been spewing, you won't have an ounce of credibility left

And I'd love for you to point out my 'nda breaking' statements

Ah Jean Luc, it's gonna be so fun

• CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422

Personally I cant wait to get this game.

The main draw to me is that I get to level to 50 in my original faction, exploring and taking my time collecting items and skill books. Completing all the quests. Then I can visit the next faction and everything there will be upleveled to 50 so I can explore even more maps, more quests and different regional enemies and still getting skill points/loot with a challenge. Then finally after I complete that one can do the 3rd faction and the difficulty is apparently even higher. After that its on to Cyrodill since im a big fan of the WvWvW such as GW2 and can entertain me for ages.

So that sounds like a lot of content straight away, a personal "end game" for me to reach. Mixing GW2 and Elder scrolls is a winning formula since I feel there will be more progression and actual expansions :D

I want quests with a story and I want to feel I am the hero saving the world...

You may want to stick to single player games then. Because in all MMORPGs, what you did, other did it too, so you never really are "the hero", but only "one hero among many".

Definetely

When people see the amount of bull that all you people have been spewing, you won't have an ounce of credibility left

This will work two ways... people will also see the amount of "bull" you spewed. We'll see who will have lost all credibility, the one who presents TESO like the second coming of the Christ, or the one who presents both positive and negative points.

Where do I present ESO like TSCoC??

I just said I like it more than GW2, a game I really like

I also stated that I prefer TESo combat, like many other people

I think you are somehow confusing me with the OP. I assure you,I don't share his optimism. I am just 'correcting' people bull FACTS (that are mostly wrong or misinterpreted)

For example, I am pretty sure you are confusing 2 different issues regarding combat, you know well what I am talkign about

When NDA falls people will see for themselves (like I did) and make up their mind

And you'll cry.. oh.. the rivers of tears j/k

PS would you like to pint me in direction of any of your positives because I am having a hard time finding them :)

Originally posted by Cougan

Personally I cant wait to get this game.

The main draw to me is that I get to level to 50 in my original faction, exploring and taking my time collecting items and skill books. Completing all the quests. Then I can visit the next faction and everything there will be upleveled to 50 so I can explore even more maps, more quests and different regional enemies and still getting skill points/loot with a challenge. Then finally after I complete that one can do the 3rd faction and the difficulty is apparently even higher. After that its on to Cyrodill since im a big fan of the WvWvW such as GW2 and can entertain me for ages.

So that sounds like a lot of content straight away, a personal "end game" for me to reach. Mixing GW2 and Elder scrolls is a winning formula since I feel there will be more progression and actual expansions :D

Yeah, tell Picard that... I think ESO ate his dog

Oh they are and without going into details I know most people who hated the previous beta test fell in love with the changes in this one. You are just being a phony with your cagey remarks that say nothing. Just take a break and go to do soem hating in another forum

Change is good

HIGHLY unlikely.

Change is good

HIGHLY unlikely.

That's how I know you weren't in the last beta

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

You may want to stick to single player games then. Because in all MMORPGs, what you did, other did it too, so you never really are "the hero", but only "one hero among many".

Definetely

This will work two ways... people will also see the amount of "bull" you spewed. We'll see who will have lost all credibility, the one who presents TESO like the second coming of the Christ, or the one who presents both positive and negative points.

I have yet to see ANYONE on this site, who is capable of presenting both negatives and positives... No need to paint this like it's all just ESO fanboys. This is on both sides of the fence.

Originally posted by Adokas

Definetely

I have yet to see ANYONE on this site, who is capable of presenting both negatives and positives... No need to paint this like it's all just ESO fanboys. This is on both sides of the fence.

Oh but there are plenty of negatives, for example I have to wait till 4/4/14 to play

If THAT's not a huge negative... now let's see haters doing teh same! I dare you say something positive!

Change is good

HIGHLY unlikely.

If I wanted to break the NDA (and just make a new account to do it I would) but its not worth the effort. There were a lot of OBJECTIVE things not SUBJECTIVE things in both those betas good or bad. Not OPINION but actual factual things that would not or could not be denied.

Anyone who was in both of them knows what they were (both good and bad) and can make a logical comparison between both betas on a purely OBJECTIVE level.

But NDA doesnt even allow that. So it cant be commented on directly.

Definetely

I've posted many negative aspects of games I otherwise enjoy(ed) a lot, like those in my signature.

For the positives of TESO, it will have to wait, because those I'd want to post all break the NDA. Just like most negatives, by the way. You can't make a fair review of a game with a NDA forbidding you to post 90% of the things you want to post. But unlike some excessive fans or haters here, you may have noticed that I never said "this game sucks and is going to fail" or "this game is the best thing since sliced bread".

About the NDA, by the way... a game doing beta week ends a couple of months before release yet still having a NDA has always been suspicious. For instance WoW and GW2 lifted their NDA ages before release (6+ months), because they had nothing to hide. Food for thoughts.

There are a lot of elements that probably ZOS doesn't want 'spoilered'. There might be other reasons that I am not at liberty to discuss, but from what I been said there were quite some changes in the last build (and no, this doesn't break NDA)

PS didn't GW2 NDA drop close to release too? I might be wrong

Change is good

HIGHLY unlikely.

If I wanted to break the NDA (and just make a new account to do it I would) but its not worth the effort. There were a lot of OBJECTIVE things not SUBJECTIVE things in both those betas good or bad. Not OPINION but actual factual things that would not or could not be denied.

Anyone who was in both of them knows what they were (both good and bad) and can make a logical comparison between both betas on a purely OBJECTIVE level.

But NDA doesnt even allow that. So it cant be commented on directly.

There is nothing OBJECTIVE about saying "I don't like this" or "This is $hit"

It's all down to personal opinions and taste. For example, I find WoW combat boring and uninspired, but a lot of people think it's the best there is (hopefully these will stick to wow and don't coem round)

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

Definetely

I've posted many negative aspects of games I otherwise enjoy(ed) a lot, like those in my signature.

For the positives of TESO, it will have to wait, because those I'd want to post all break the NDA. Just like most negatives, by the way. You can't make a fair review of a game with a NDA forbidding you to post 90% of the things you want to post. But unlike some excessive fans or haters here, you may have noticed that I never said "this game sucks and is going to fail" or "this game is the best thing since sliced bread".

About the NDA, by the way... a game doing beta week ends a couple of months before release yet still having a NDA has always been suspicious. For instance WoW and GW2 lifted their NDA ages before release (6+ months), because they had nothing to hide. Food for thoughts.

True, and I didn't aim at you or anything. Just been following various ESO threads the last few days, and barely anyone manages to be in the middle. I have plenty of positives and negatives myself as well. It's just a shame they can't be shared because of the NDA, as you said.

On the topic of the NDA not being lifted yet and that being a bad sign. I suppose it could be perceived as such. I rather remain positive about that, however. Through the last few years, I've known everything about an MMO before I've even purchased it. So when I finally sit down with it and run around and explore... I already feel like I've seen and done everything. As one of the ESO developers said in a podcast regarding just this I believe, they felt it was best to keep it up, in order to maintain a sense of excitement and "newness" for new players. Eitherway, it's not like the NDA will last until release day, so people will no doubt have time to research and read about the games various features before they decide to preorder or buy once released. It's not like everyone is forced to buy ESO hehe.

So I guess to sum that up... I believe in companies maintaining an NDA for as long as they can. I think it's a good thing, for the sense of wonder and excitement it can create about a game. And to make it clear before anyone twists this into me blanketing this opinion as everyones, I'll just say: This is MY opinion. xD Seriously, people rail each other over tiny things on this forum. :-P

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Not food for thought at all. Just a silly innuendo which, as you say yourself, can't be debunked properly due to the NDA.

There is not a single intelligent thing that can be surmised from the release date and the current NDA despite your insinuation and that of others here who love to spout the same nonsense.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

This discussion has been closed.