Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar Business Model

caleb-calvertcaleb-calvert Member Posts: 33

Wildstar has the most promising subscription model BAR NONE. The CREDD system is cool, and the subscription is still a way of keeping content coming including expansions, updates, and a solid team making sure things run smoothly.

Please check out my video on this, to get more details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFSkNboOv4

Did I do a good job? Did I miss anything? I researched their business model as well as I could :)

Comments

• SchnizitSchnizit Member Posts: 25
    It's basically a copy of Eve Online's model for subs and purchasing play time from other players. It's a good model and has worked well for Eve.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Schnizit
    It's basically a copy of Eve Online's model for subs and purchasing play time from other players. It's a good model and has worked well for Eve.

Eve is an exception. You have to rather compare this system to what Tera used to have. Ask them how that worked out.

Having said so I have little doubt that WildStar is going b2p within the first year.

SWTOR did it, TSW did it - it's the best way to milk money from the fans and then go and lure more people in, after the subs dropped too much.

Harbinger of Fools
  • MathadarMathadar Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Eve is an exception. You have to rather compare this system to what Tera used to have. Ask them how that worked out.

Having said so I have little doubt that WildStar is going b2p within the first year.

SWTOR did it, TSW did it - it's the best way to milk money from the fans and then go and lure more people in, after the subs dropped too much.

SWTOR and TSW are crap games, I agree that the best way to milk money from a crap game is b2p.  If Wildstar is b2p after a year it will be because it is crap.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Pretty much this.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

EVE online has a functioning economy to go along with its PLEX system.  Plex weren't just stapled on to the game by CCP, they fit in well with the item destruction, crafting and trading, importance of isk and other aspects of the game.  People who've never played it use the plex system to point out how the game is pay to win because you can spend money to get in game money to buy tricked out ships, but those ships are almost always destroyed sooner rather than later. EVE is pay to lose.

How is carbine going to work this out? I mean, what do they have that's worth spending in game money on? Because you need to have sweet things for people to be able to buy if you want people to buy creds with their cash and sell them in game to get gold or whatever. If CREDs are the only things worth buying with your gold then you won't find anyone selling them. And how are they going to make it so the people willing to put the creds into the system have a reason to keep doing so? You don't just need a few things worth buying, you need enough that the same people have reason to continue putting creds up on the ingame market. And how do you do this while still making it possible for people who don't have the cash to fork out to be able to earn enough to compete with the CRED sellers for those sweet items? I really can't see how this works in a game where you simply can't do item destruction but Carbine's smarter than I so I just hope they've got it figured out.

Originally posted by sketocafe
    EVE online has a functioning economy to go along with its PLEX system.  Plex weren't just stapled on to the game by CCP, they fit in well with the item destruction, crafting and trading, importance of isk and other aspects of the game.  People who've never played it use the plex system to point out how the game is pay to win because you can spend money to get in game money to buy tricked out ships, but those ships are almost always destroyed sooner rather than later. EVE is pay to lose.How is carbine going to work this out? I mean, what do they have that's worth spending in game money on? Because you need to have sweet things for people to be able to buy if you want people to buy creds with their cash and sell them in game to get gold or whatever. If CREDs are the only things worth buying with your gold then you won't find anyone selling them. And how are they going to make it so the people willing to put the creds into the system have a reason to keep doing so? You don't just need a few things worth buying, you need enough that the same people have reason to continue putting creds up on the ingame market. And how do you do this while still making it possible for people who don't have the cash to fork out to be able to earn enough to compete with the CRED sellers for those sweet items? I really can't see how this works in a game where you simply can't do item destruction but Carbine's smarter than I so I just hope they've got it figured out.

You're forgetting the whole thing is to combat gold selling.

If gold is not a worthy commodity. Then no one would be buying gold from external sources to begin with? Though with how expensive player housing is going to be. That's going to be a major gold sink for a lot of people there.

On the other hand. Every one needs game time. No question about that. Thus CRED will always be a valuable commodity.

Are you trying to advocate that it isn't fair to be not being able to play for free; by using gold?

No, I'm just trying to point out that there are reasons it works in EVE and if you just transplant the system by itself then you might get into trouble.  Actually, there was absolutely nothing in my post that even hinted it's unfair to be able to play for free, so I have no idea where you pulled that from. Yes, the CREDDs will always be valuable, the problem is you need other valuable stuff to give people a reason to purchase credds to sell in game. If they're using housing as that gold sink, well okay but I hope they balance it so it's a burden to those who don't sell credds to pay for housing.

No, I'm just trying to point out that there are reasons it works in EVE and if you just transplant the system by itself then you might get into trouble.  Actually, there was absolutely nothing in my post that even hinted it's unfair to be able to play for free, so I have no idea where you pulled that from. Yes, the CREDDs will always be valuable, the problem is you need other valuable stuff to give people a reason to purchase credds to sell in game. If they're using housing as that gold sink, well okay but I hope they balance it so it's a burden to those who don't sell credds to pay for housing.

Wouldn't it balance itself out?

The more people wanting CRED. The more people playing. The more people acquiring gold to stimulate the economy.

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Wouldn't it balance itself out?

The more people wanting CRED. The more people playing. The more people acquiring gold to stimulate the economy.

No it doesn't balance itself out. You don't just accidentally come up with a situation where people have a reason to buy an item with cash they can sell for gold while still leaving those who don't do so at a large disadvantage. There is a balance point between not making your gold sink a hardship for those who won't or can't sell credds and giving others a reason to buy the credd so they can sell it for gold to pour in the sink.  Hopefully Carbine can figure out that point, but it's not going to magically happen by itself..