Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the PvP area be a zerg fest?

DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Im wondering about how this 3 faction pvp all fighting in the middle will turn out.  I like to pvp but what i dont like is to zerg pvp, I use to love battles with groups over hunting spots and such in open world games, but when i tried GW2 with 3 areas fighting in one it was just a giant zerg fest. and thats not really for me.

Just looking for any info or opinions on how this might work out.

and also i see they have keeps? are these kind of like warhammer keeps that will just be flip flopped over and over? or do you actually own the keep for awhile?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Depends on what you personally mean by "zerg fest"

A lot of scenario PvP addicts consider anything that isn't 16 vs. 16 at the most a "zerg fest"... if that's you, then yes, hopefully it will have a lot of "zerg festing" because that means the PvP is working as designed...

If you mean "nothing but zergs flipping keeps" as in WAR, then no, it shouldn't be like that because they seem to be taking measures to make defending the keep you take something you'll want to do.

I played both DAoC and WAR. A large battle with a lot of people in DAoC with good coordination and chains of command from alliances and the guilds in those alliances, felt like an epic fight--especially if it was a Relic Keep fight.

WAR, OTOH, was just 2 large groups of strangers that kept dropping in and out whenever the next scenario popped, capturing undefended keeps over and over again to farm points.

More DAOC and less WAR is what I hope to see, but to some, especially those who have never done any organized large scale PvP, it will be "just a zerg fest." ... their loss.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    By zergfest if you mean just masses of people running around killing everyone then I hope not.  I think it will be more like DAoC, with organized massive battles over towns, keeps, resources, etc.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Yes, by design. By that I mean it's designed for large scale PVP.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    More to get caught in my AoE spells. I plan to specialize all my morphs into AoEs.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Good article about Cyrodiil from Tamriel Foundry. http://tamrielfoundry.com/2013/12/understanding-cyrodiil/

This quote is one point from the article. Sounds like it will be too costly to zerg over and over.

"Sieges and Alliance Points

Ultimately, everything will come down to control of keeps, castles, and resources. Regardless if you are on the offensive front lines or struggling to defend your own territory, you will require siege equipment. These weapons and resources will be key to any effective attack or defense. The attacking force won’t be able to break down a keep’s door or wall without heavy weaponry and will have a much harder time claiming the keep itself without having first secured all the resources surrounding the keep. Likewise, as a defender, employing counter-siege equipment like boiling oil and ballistae buys you time needed to reinforce and hold an objective. It will also be crucial to maintain control of the resource network which surround each keep. Not only do resources gate access to travel links between keeps, they also help determine how strongly that keep is defended. The act of disrupting a transit route or bringing in some extra weaponry may help turn the tide of battle in your favor.

Never underestimate the old saying “the best offense is a good defense”. In Cyrodiil your attacks and their effectiveness will be limited by your available resources, and thus it is extremely important to safely control as much territory as possible. Heavily disputed territory becomes a resource-sink (yes, I am trying to start a trend here). When all the ground you own is contested ground you cannot hope to ever truly best another. The ability for player guilds to claim keeps and outposts will easily provide incentives to hold on to what territory you own.

The economy of Cyrodiil is transacted in Alliance points, from keep-repairs to purchasing siege equipment itself. You can earn alliance points by capturing or defending objectives and killing enemy players. This means that your alliance can have a good income of alliance points just by owning and defending your own territory. Forcing enemies to make an advance can cause them to waste resources and leave themselves exposed to losing their own territory. In time,  players will learn how to react to enemy movements in a way to take advantage."

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    One small point to consider in addition to all the fine points made thus far: Synergy abilities hint at being quite effective and efficient. This will favor more focused, tactical groups while the zerg train will not only be unlikely to consider such group dynamic important, but they will be structured in such a fashion that coordinating the efficient use of said Synergy effects will be more problematic for them when compared to the organizational focus of a smaller group.
  • djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    large scale pvp is always a zerg, in every single game. This won't be any different
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

i imagine a bit of both, zerg and group.

in DAOC well coordinated 8mans, roaming groups and zergs were the norm, on Mordred, more 8mans than zergs.

in any case, it was hella fun for everyone, your gonna love it too.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Most probably yes, i expect it to be pretty similar if not identical to that of WvW in GW2.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Most probably yes, i expect it to be pretty similar if not identical to that of WvW in GW2.

Well, WvW was a poorly thought out mess that tried so hard to emulate DAoC but didn't understand what DAoC did right.

TESO is being built from the go by a high up DAoC dev, with RvR in mind. Design wise, it already looks better than WvW. The fact that they chose specific engine things to allow more people on screen shows more foresight than Arenanet had.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I think they are planning for large PvP battles with designing the game to show 200+ players on the screen at one time, so if you consider a large war a zerg fest, then yes. I think there will be some tactics involved though you can't just run around in a herd capping while you lose everything behind you because I don't think it would benefit your faction doing so.
  • JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by djazzy
    large scale pvp is always a zerg, in every single game. This won't be any different

So true. And yet also some of my most enjoyable moments in gaming, at least in darkfall anyway. I will never forget some of those battles were we managed to survive against all the odds.

My blog: image

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I think the exclusion of PvP scenario's is the key.  

I'm going to explain something.  If you are looking for a game that will not involve a zerg, then you are in for a rude awakening.  You are fighting for your alliance.  The whole alliance.  Can you imagine how many people are part of your alliance in any given server?  Can we both agree that the amount of people will be... A lot?  I'd imagine you could potentially see hundreds on any given battlefield, between three alliances.  So yes, the system is designed for a LOT of people.  

Warhammer made a crucial mistake by allowing players to progress their character in instanced scenarios.  Their system allowed players to progress through scenarios faster than they would in open RvR.  Most of the time, RvR lakes were ghost towns, and occasionally you would just flip control points for realm points.  Only very rarely did a large keep battle actually take place.  Scenario's just destroyed the game.  You can't allow players to outpace the world content with instanced content.

So, TESO has excluded PvP scenario's to avoid this issue.  The only PvP you will be doing is located in Cyrodil.  This means all combat is going to be in one large area.  Hopefully there will be ample rewards for doing just about anything there.  I think it will work out fine, as long as what the players are fighting over is worth defending, or conquering.

• sethman75sethman75 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Of course it will be

Besides arena type gameplay, all pvp is a zerg.

It's like a 10 year old mashing buttons on a 2d fighter.

You will win some and lose some but there is no structure, hence the reason so many people detest pvp

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Zerg fest like GW2? Man I hope not... I'm really hoping for the place to look and play like mmorpg world.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141

Some of you have had different experiences in pvp than me, I guess.  IMO, A well coordinated warband will turn aside a zerg almost every time.   If you play with people who know their roll and communicate, a zerg group is just going to be a lot of kills.

From what I've read, I think ESO has put a lot of thought into it.  They won't reward quick flipping of keeps.  There will be choke points where small groups will thrive and its best to have multiple battles going on at once.  If the whole zerg is throwing themselves at the keep wall, squads can go back out and retake the resources, which will make the walls and the npc guards stronger.  It sounds like a well thought out system, simple but also complex enough to require thought and strategic decisions.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Another aspect of the gameplay that could affect group vs. zerg dynamics is the resource-based ability system. Rather than two or three sides cycling through their cooldown skills, ESO is much more dynamic and unpredictable in nature. A smaller team whose strategy is geared towards maximized resource efficiency and renewal is going to have advantages over a zerg that just dumps spike dps magicka and stamina. This, combined with choke points, means that a well-run group could keep chopping a larger force off at the head or tail with cc and stacked synergy AE effects while cycling through their resources efficiently.

Zergs tend to lack strategy and assume that their larger numbers will always win, and tend to play as such. This opens up opportunities for smaller forces to win small battles. Nip the tail: the main force will probably not even notice until they are 100 meters ahead of the stealth CCed rear "guard." Assume they will try to bulldoze and build strategies around that. Bait stragglers with a sole visible, etc. Every second counts, and a very mobile, resource-efficient group can win battles while avoiding the war. This forces the zerg to waste time chasing, rezzing, depleting resources, spamming Ultimates, and ultimately decreasing organization for the time that an allied zerg shows up and hits a weakened enemy.
  • bantapoobantapoo Member Posts: 4

I think it all depends on the performance. If they can manage to have 50 players on screen without becoming a visual pukefest with disappearing players (aka gw2), then it will be possible to relive a bit of the DAOC epic relic battles.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

I will believe all the claims when I see them.  

The people zerging get the most xp, loot etc .. the poor buggers in the back doing the support work get almost nothing.  And it is an AOE fest..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

impossible. cryodill is simply to big, not to mention the terrain. you will not see circle keep zerging.

I don't know how XP and rewards break down, but I know that cryodill can be a solo gankers dream.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by sethman75

Of course it will be

Besides arena type gameplay, all pvp is a zerg.

It's like a 10 year old mashing buttons on a 2d fighter.

You will win some and lose some but there is no structure, hence the reason so many people detest pvp

This is false. There is structure if you want there to be structure. Either you're part of the zerg, or you're not. You're quite able to join countless of other people who will be starting up coordinated groups and so on, and join them.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Considering that this game actually has archtypes and they are putting in incentives to hold keeps, not just capture them, as well as having siege engines required to hold and cap keeps, I significantly doubt that.

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by cura
    Originally posted by bcbully

impossible. cryodill is simply to big, not to mention the terrain. you will not see circle keep zerging.

I don't know how XP and rewards break down, but I know that cryodill can be a solo gankers dream.

So how big it is? How long it takes to travel from one end to the other? 

Cyrodill is supposed to be the size of Cyrodill from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592

Acctualy after doing deep in Gw2 world versus world PVP I loved zerg vs zerg.

WHEN you see huge group of angry red enemies running to you and Commander lead all this people and if people use correct skill and right moment in order so mitigate dmg or heal allies of burst down enemies and all  40 people instantly  react to each other with heal support CC it's great you will fell like a part of something big and powerful.

But it dependes of commander and than on people if people a noobs commandar can't do anything.