Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help i lost my desire for mmo's

I was writing a wall of text but i deleted everything because these days nobody read walls of text anymore.

Shorter version

Once i was younger with lots of spare time and after i discoverd the Internet for myself at 1998 i immersed myself in a lots of game like Eressea, Rorqual,  Tibia, Planetarion, Neocron, Project Entropia, Battlefield 2, Rappelz, Perfect World International, Eve online and league of legends.

I never played 2 Games at once expect planetarion and i was powergaming on a high nerdlevel sinking ungodly ammounts of time into this games, the community and my ingame relations. With time i grow older and today i realize with 35 that i lost it.

No matter how hard i look, no matter how manny games i download and try the Spark is gone! I can't dedicate myself to a mmo anymore, of course my lifestyle changed my sparetime isnt that ample anymore as it used to be when i was younger but i have 1-2 hours daily that i could easily sink into a mmo and i would LOVE TO sink them into a mmo but i cant find something that excite me. I asked my colleagues at work and suprisingly manny of them have the exact same problem. There are more mmo's out than ever but we fail to find something to bring the old times back where we had long sessions , awesome fights and adventures. Same for solo games, the last game i enjoyed was Skyrim i own 88 games on steam and i can't bring myself to play one. I have games from the humbel bundles i not even botherd to install and try out.  My friends and i ended up playing league of legends more or less regulary and to be honest we not even like it anymore. We just used to the game and can't find something else. Thats horrible, i feel like a kid in a candy store sick of sweets. Anyone else know this feeling ?

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If there's one thing this place isn't short of, it's bitter mmo vets that hate everything new. Probably not the best place to find inspiration...other than many examples of what not to become.
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

I'm not subbed to a Mo atm first time for years,but have The Repopulation and Divergence backed so have those ready and waiting so to speak and Elite Dangerous,SC,SOTA if you class them as Mo's.

But with the new wave of devs a bit of creativity is around the corner pretty much any flavour u like really and now Pantheon might wet your appetite looks like we PC gamers are coming out the drought.

You may need to sub but I think most of the F2P bubbles are bursting and there is a good choice now and both payment options can survive with each other.

p>
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If there's one thing this place isn't short of, it's bitter mmo vets that hate everything new. Probably not the best place to find inspiration...other than many examples of what not to become.

I must be an eternal optimist then. image

p>
  • TolotsTolots Member Posts: 8

Good point but where else to ask ? This website is THE reference for mmo's

I dont think myself as a bitter vet that want to old times back and curse new stuff. Mmo's and games used to play a big part in my life and somehow i lost it and i have no idea how this happend. There is a void that i wish to fill , monney for shops or subscriptions are also no problem. Im afraid that i lost my own imagination power and creativity , i dont have a TV for over a decade now because i never needed it but lately i catch myself a lot watching anime and drama streams on the net. I never liked this passive kind of entertainment but now its my reality. Did i became too old allready ?

I have 3 games on my radar, DayZ , the repopulation and satelite reign. I backed the last one on kickstarter. I really hope i find something decent to sink my teeths into.

• GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Tolots

I was writing a wall of text but i deleted everything because these days nobody read walls of text anymore.

Shorter version

Once i was younger with lots of spare time and after i discoverd the Internet for myself at 1998 i immersed myself in a lots of game like Eressea, Rorqual,  Tibia, Planetarion, Neocron, Project Entropia, Battlefield 2, Rappelz, Perfect World International, Eve online and league of legends.

I never played 2 Games at once expect planetarion and i was powergaming on a high nerdlevel sinking ungodly ammounts of time into this games, the community and my ingame relations. With time i grow older and today i realize with 35 that i lost it.

No matter how hard i look, no matter how manny games i download and try the Spark is gone! I can't dedicate myself to a mmo anymore, of course my lifestyle changed my sparetime isnt that ample anymore as it used to be when i was younger but i have 1-2 hours daily that i could easily sink into a mmo and i would LOVE TO sink them into a mmo but i cant find something that excite me. I asked my colleagues at work and suprisingly manny of them have the exact same problem. There are more mmo's out than ever but we fail to find something to bring the old times back where we had long sessions , awesome fights and adventures. Same for solo games, the last game i enjoyed was Skyrim i own 88 games on steam and i can't bring myself to play one. I have games from the humbel bundles i not even botherd to install and try out.  My friends and i ended up playing league of legends more or less regulary and to be honest we not even like it anymore. We just used to the game and can't find something else. Thats horrible, i feel like a kid in a candy store sick of sweets. Anyone else know this feeling ?

Play Dark Souls and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, not MMO's but they may respark the love of games, did for me. Be sure NOT to look up guides for Dark Souls for maximum enjoyment unless you really can't figure out where to go, but don't look guides up to beat bosses and stuff.

Good point but where else to ask ? This website is THE reference for mmo's

I dont think myself as a bitter vet that want to old times back and curse new stuff. Mmo's and games used to play a big part in my life and somehow i lost it and i have no idea how this happend. There is a void that i wish to fill , monney for shops or subscriptions are also no problem. Im afraid that i lost my own imagination power and creativity , i dont have a TV for over a decade now because i never needed it but lately i catch myself a lot watching anime and drama streams on the net. I never liked this passive kind of entertainment but now its my reality. Did i became too old allready ?

I have 3 games on my radar, DayZ , the repopulation and satelite reign. I backed the last one on kickstarter. I really hope i find something decent to sink my teeths into.

For me single and co op games have been more fun than mmos. Could be my interests have just changed, maybe mmos really do just suck. I have a hard time believing the latter with so many people playing them though :)

The way I see it is, I'm a gamer at heart. I'll always play games if I can so I play what's fun. MMOs changed once and they'll change again. Maybe they'll go back to how they were, maybe they'll change to something I like even more. Till then I'll stick with the games I am having fun playing.

The one thing I'll never do is sit around saying " everything is ruined forever!! "  But I will enjoy making fun of people who do :)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    ive lost all hope in the mmorpg business. F2P/P2Win is just way too lucrative and widely accepted now that sub games have no chance unless its WoW where people have already invested almost 10 yrs into.  People no longer buy games with the mentality of staying with it for years. they play for a few weeks, throw as a bunch of money at the cash shop to get their fix asap, then move on to the next game. people want more fun in the shortest amount of time possible- and they dont mind paying a pretty penny for it.. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• TolotsTolots Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Gintoh

Play Dark Souls and Deus Ex: Human Revolution, not MMO's but they may respark the love of games, did for me. Be sure NOT to look up guides for Dark Souls for maximum enjoyment unless you really can't figure out where to go, but don't look guides up to beat bosses and stuff.

Deus Ex Human Revolution was a pearl under the games. I really enjoyed it since im a big fan of the old deus ex titles aswell as System Shock II. I dont know dark souls i will have a look at it. Thanks :)

DamonVile

I also do love co op games, (sadly i figured my reflexes for shooter are garbage). Have any recomendations for a good co op game thats not 10 years old ? I would apreciate this because i look for a nice game to play with 2 - 4 people. No mobas please 

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

Shorter version

Here are a couple games you may not have tried out: Wakfu, and Uncharted Waters Online.

Uncharted Waters is a game that will give you a sense of accomplishment when you progress through the game. It is something I had missed for a long time before I found it.

well defiance is $5 and pretty much a co-op. It's fun to play till the story ends. It's a shooter but low skill

orcs must die 2 is a very fun 1-2 player tower defense..also $5 :)

skyrim and kingdom or amalur were both good rpgs. The second one is a bit like skyrim light.

saints row 3 or 4 are both a riot if you have a .....dirty violent sense of humor and don't mind a whole lot of suspension of disbelief :) I liked 3 better but who doesn't want to be the president with super powers...so 4 has that.

If you never played mass effect or dragon age you missed two of the best games ever....

There really is no shortage of games once you leave the mmo field.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Maybe take a vacation from gaming for a while?

I see people all the time (esp on these forums) that really need a break instead of just sitting around desperate to find something. Just get up and walk away for a bit, go enjoy another hobby for a week, a month, whatever; and come back later to see how you feel about games then.

You said it yourself, you'd a kid in a candy store, but you're sick of sweets. Well, if you eat a 5lb bag of candy, chances are you're going to be pretty sick of it. So get away from the candy.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

My advise:

1. Make a guild with all your real-life friends and colleagues. Then you start together in one MMO. I promise: It will fun, because you know each other, and because obviously none of you is dedicated to be a hard core gamer. I would recommend GW2, but there are a number of other options.

2. Wait for Divinity: Original Sin. It is a single-player RPG with coop. It will be more like the Ultima series, with a lot of freedom. Definately tries to be different and bring some kind of pen & paper feeling back to the video game world.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    One thing I've enjoyed recently is watching humor videos of people playing game recently - GTA online, especially.  It's cheering to watch people having so much fun. :)
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I certainly get "that feeling" every so often:

Play a type of MMO different to what you played before. Often this is a case of just being bored with common MMO mechanics.

If you don't care about graphics try a MUD like this that really does things different to your typical MMO.

Take a break from online gaming for a while and play single player games.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Yeah I got that feeling also. I think it is mainly because games today have little meat to the actual game that we once enjoyed. They are designed to streamline you from start to finish (end game) in a few short weeks and end up getting boring not long after. There is no feeling of adventure in the journey, just a fizzle before a little pop at the end.

Most of the stuff we see now is just rehashed content with a different spin, we already know what to do, how to do it to max efficiency and pretty much what to expect so there is not much of a reward when you do something again for the ?? time.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I'm not subbed to any either, I have EvE online month free going but only have few days left on it. I've been playing mmorpg's 10 years, the past 5 years have been poor, 2012 - 2013 was the worst. Elder scrolls and Wildstar I might look at but I'm not going to dive in demanding they take my money, I'm going to wait. I'll likely return to WoW when the new expansion is released. 
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

OP, it happens.   Is it a sign of age? Maybe, I dunno.  I have lulls in my interests all the time.  For example, for as long as I can remember I've always loved reading.   But every so often I can't seem to get into reading anything.  I'll scour the net for obscure books in weird genres, try re-reading old favorites and nothing will do it for me.  So, I'll do something else and forget about reading for awhile.  Then one day I will pick up a book that sounds decent and I'm right back into it again.  I'll  try reading a book that was crap to me months before, enjoy it, and wonder why the hell I didn't read it the first time.

The same thing has happened with me with MMO's and even video games in general multiple times.  Sometimes the thought of playing an MMO makes me sick with boredom.  Then one day I will just get an itch to go explore a world I've never seen and the next thing I know I'm playing something bizzare like Age of @#$%ing Wushu or something and enjoying it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about it.  Go find something new to do and get sick of that.  MMO's will still be there when you get back.

• upsizeupsize Member Posts: 5

I'm thinking you must have been busy with a lot of stuff...having less and less time for gaming so much so that when you do have time...it doesn't feel as satisfying as before...?

I sort of got that feeling lately...

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     What  you need is in game friends.  The only reason MMO's are fun is because of grouping with people you like to hang out with. For the most part MMO game play is nowhere near as good as SRPG. But, Working together with friends and beating tough content and having fun with mediocre game play can  trump the better game mechanics of a solid single player game.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The "all friends" guild idea is nice but try an MMO that you can really group in, like Vanguard.

Other than that maybe try some PnP games with your coworkers. The hardest part about playing them is finding enough people. Sounds like you have a decent pool to work with.

Good luck!
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    There's nothing wrong with setting aside a hobby that you once loved to take up a new one. I routinely lose interest in video games of all types so I step away from them for awhile. For me, it's cyclical. I play games for a few months then stop for a few months. In between, I'll do something else that interests me like catching up on reading, or building a big model, or cycling... basically anything that isn't video games. 
  • fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

I hear you.

I have lost the desire to play MMO's many times.

Take 6 months or a year off and I would guess you would be ready to play again.

My Favorites were the Original Everquest, DAOC and WOW.

I think eventually something decent will come out and will hook everyone again.

• ZenmagiZenmagi Member Posts: 14

After much reflection I finally figured out why I don't get that "feeling" from MMOs anymore. The nexus of causality is free time. When I had more free time I could get a better feel for the player community in MMOs. The MMOs that I grew most attached to were ones that I was able to develop friendships within the game. No having enough disposable time greatly reduces the probability of attachment via social interaction.

So I can either accept the fact that due to my lack of time chances are I won't be able to enjoy MMOs like I used to or some fundamental design choices in future MMOs will decrease the amount of time needed to reach that critical time spent to achieve social attachment.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I usually end up back in Morrowind.  A while later I'm back in my home MMORPG having fun again.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I hear you Op.  I'm in the same boat.  I dabble between everquest and skyrim where I'm finding out Im just not a fan out action combat but love deep RPG customization.

I'd just expect there would be a basic game that has 100% customization (and consequence for your selection) in a do-whatever-I-want type of world. I like quests. Just read them to me. Text is so last century.

Looking forward to Might and Magic X which I enjoyed the alpha. old school grid-based, turn-based combat. skill point allotment. classless.  Any MMO I'm interested in has no due date in sight.