Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - A Game No One Else Will Make

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Brad McQuaid has finally revealed the details behind his KickStarter project called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. The game is described as a return to challenge-based group play, hearkening back to the golden era of MMOs.

Design Tenets:

• An awareness that content is king

• A belief that game economies should be predicated on delaying and minimizing item value deflation

• A commitment to a style of play that focuses on immersive combat, and engaging group mechanics.

• An understanding that a truly challenging game is truly rewarding 

• An expectation that the path of least resistance should also be the most entertaining

• A mindset that Designed Downtime should be a part of the game to ensure players have time to form important social bonds. 

• A belief that an immersive world requires intelligent inhabitants

• An understanding that faction should be an integral part of interacting with the world and its citizenry.

• A commitment to creating a world where a focus on group play will attract those seeking a challenge

• A belief that the greatest sense of accomplishment comes when it is shared

MMO FOREFATHER BRAD McQUAID TARGETS GROUP-FOCUSED GAMERS WITH PANTHEON: RISE OF THE FALLEN

Visionary Realms, Inc. Responds to the High Demand for a Challenging and Rewarding MMO Game by Funding through Kickstarter

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Jan. 13, 2014 - Visionary Realms, Inc. announced today their plans to meet a growing demand in the Massively Multiplayer Online Games market by developing Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, a game targeted towards the challenge-seeking gamer. The game's design and ideas were inspired by feedback from many MMO communities that have been looking for a return to a classic style of MMO gameplay and group-focused game content.

"I receive emails almost every day asking for this type of game," said Visionary Realms' Chief Creative Officer, Brad McQuaid, who is best known for his critical and early involvement in the forming and influence of the MMORPG genre. "No one else seems to be answering this call. It's the kind of game we've been wanting to play for so long and we're finally getting a chance to make it, thanks to major advances in game development technology and crowdfunding."

Visionary Realms Inc. in launching its Kickstarter campaign, now turns to the public for funding. "We believe there are many, many people out there who have been wanting a game like Pantheon for so long and we're asking them for their help in making it happen," said Director of Development, Salim Grant. "It's the perfect opportunity for us to work with the fans and have everyone be a very real and important part of this exciting project."

The team began working on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen in October of 2013. "We've got a fantastic team," said McQuaid. "These guys have done key work in many of today's AAA MMOs. Now we get to work together on a passion we all share, and make the kind of game we want to make." Members of the Visionary Realms, Inc. team have been involved in the creation of many of the fundamental mechanics and systems still used in most of today's MMO games and experienced by millions of gamers worldwide.

Already the game has inspired gamers to create fansites for the game and communities to fill message boards in anticipation of the game. "I knew there was going to be excitement over this," said McQuaid. "I just didn't realize to what extent. We haven't even shared a lot of real information about the game yet. Wait until they see the Kickstarter site. It's going to be crazy!"

The Kickstarter campaign runs until February 22, 2014, after which Visionary Realms, Inc. will be able to further expand the team to complete the game's development.

Check out the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen KickStarter page for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Is it really going to be called rise of the fallen ? That just makes me think of a bunch of people with some type of balance disorder, or a bad transformers movie.
  • TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133

I have no actual hope for this game, but their emphasis on grouping is a step in the right direction. I will NEVER again play a game that you can solo all the way through. 

God I miss the days of XP parties in FFXI...

• TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Is it really going to be called rise of the fallen ? That just makes me think of a bunch of people with some type of balance disorder, or a bad transformers movie.

Yes, the name is AWFUL.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

The title of the game is absolutely dreadful.  All I hear is a bunch of generic MMO talk with no specifics at all.  "We're making a game you'll like there's like grouping and elves and stuff.  We promise.  Give us your money."  No thanks.  Also Brad McQuaid? LoL whoever thought financing that guy was a good idea should get themselves checked out or just google his name.

*Also, to use the video's example, when most of the players population has downed Sarumon and we all have his powers it's not so special any more.  Things that sound great in a single player context but just don't work for an MMO.

LMAO just read that CRAFTING IS A STRETCH GOAL UNLOCKED AT 2.5 MILLION.  Housing!  Only $3 Million.  For only $3.8 Million you can have PvP!  Some MMORPG you've got there..... 

This is basically a grouping pve game, WITH NO PVE FLUFF CRAFTING/HOUSING/ETC, with no other content outside of that unless it makes its ridiculous stretch goals.  What a sham....

Steam: Neph

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

[mod edit]

I've never participated in crowd funding before, but this may get me to.   Brad McQuaid is an MMO god.   Him mixed with the other impressive staff making a group oriented PvE game....count me in!   I feel like now I know how all you PvPers feel about Camelot Unchained.   Even if this is half as good as Vanguard:SOH but actually optimized correctly at launch, it will be one hell of a game.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I have to wonder how anyone can think anything is going to come of this.   You can't really crowd fund a MMO, hence the big content word up there is meaningless because they won't have the funding for it.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Those guys need to learn how to read from a script and sound more natural while doing it, instead of sounding so.....scripted.
  • LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen - A Game No One Should Make.

Wow. I was hyped at the idea of there being another MMO in the works that has the old school mentality behind it. But they have completely missed the boat. They missed it so hard that their trying to figure out why they can't paddle through a field of wheat in a combine.

There is little redeeming or engaging about what they've described here. There's no evolution on the previous 10+ years, if there is, they should of made it much more apparent.

The setting seems silly, there's a reason why Forgotten Realms is practically retconning 4th edition. Planar worlds colliding is weak. To me it sounds like they had a number of strong conflicting personalities with their own personal projects of how they saw 'their' world and decided to use 'Planar worlds' as an excuse to have crazy varying art styles across the world. The whole 'you're already dead' thing seems silly too.

Their constant use of the buzz words 'being prepared'. Have you heard of the internet? You know. The medium you're using to attract investors? Being prepared is going to go out the window after the leading edge wipes on it a few times and posts it on the internet. What you should have shown is that you have diverse and dynamic content that changes constantly, right now I get the feeling that I'm going to be looking at a complicated from of Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock. If I've got the right combo loaded I'm set.

Lastly, grouping. Yeah. I love it. Bring on the social activity of the game, it's definitely been lacking for the last few years. What I don't like that I'm hearing is that unless I'm in a group I am going to be functionally useless playing by myself. I don't like being dependent on others for basic game play. With how much they pushed grouping, I'm expecting my character to have to use the buddy system to go to the washroom in game.

My bubble started to pop the moment I saw the crazy spin the sorceress pulled off.

:( I expected more.

Originally posted by Daranar

[mod edit]

I've never participated in crowd funding before, but this may get me to.   Brad McQuaid is an MMO god.   Him mixed with the other impressive staff making a group oriented PvE game....count me in!   I feel like now I know how all you PvPers feel about Camelot Unchained.   Even if this is half as good as Vanguard:SOH but actually optimized correctly at launch, it will be one hell of a game.

Who said anything about not playing because of the title ? Maybe the post just looks funny when you try and read it on your knees.

He's the king of talk, not the god of mmos. If he ever built half of what he said he would, he might actually deserve peoples worship...I guess.

[mod edit]

Did you read the Kickstarter page?  Unless all you like is PvE combat with forced grouping the game has absolutely nothing else to offer.  How do they build in what they called forced downtime to enhance social interaction when the game currently has no plans for CRAFTING, PVP, HOUSING, or any other activity outside of pve combat unless it meets ridiculous stretch goals 4-5x it's base funding amount?

Also Brad McQuaid doesn't have a good reputation in the MMO community at all.  He's the king of blowing gigantic budgets on cocaine and prostitutes while releasing buggy piles of crap backed up with clever wordplay that tries to suggest he has no blame for the end result of the project.

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I have to wonder how anyone can think anything is going to come of this.   You can't really crowd fund a MMO, hence the big content word up there is meaningless because they won't have the funding for it.

I guess Star Citizen isn't an MMO, or Camelot Unchained isn't an MMO, or Elite: Dangerous isn't an MMO, or ...

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Originally posted by ITPalg

I guess Star Citizen isn't an MMO, or Camelot Unchained isn't an MMO, or Elite: Dangerous isn't an MMO, or ...

2 of them aren't. The only one calling itself an mmo ( the basic requirement of being one ) has just started development, so you can't really say it's a success when it's still years away.

Originally posted by ITPalg

While I'd agree on Star Citizen due to how much its brought in we could argue semantics on whether it's truly an MMO.  Additionally none of these games has actually been released so sure they collected money but they've yet to launch.  It's at least possible to say no MMO has been succesfully produced on crowd funding at this point in time.  Although there certainly may be examples I'm missing.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"A game no one else will make"

because no one will pay to play it...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i'll give him 1.00 to see kickstarter communication updates

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    The obvious reading off cue cards/script in the video was cringe worthy. Nothing that excites me was said. Just generic lip service to get the hardcore gamers to throw their money at the screen.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Ikonis
    The obvious reading off cue cards/script in the video was cringe worthy. Nothing that excites me was said. Just generic lip service to get the hardcore gamers to throw their money at the screen.

This seems like a "Hey, if RG and CR can do it... I can too!" kind of thing.

If he wants to REALLY make a good game and have an impact on the MMO landscape, he should go back to working for SoE and push to have some of his vision made a reality in EQN.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    While I wouldn't fund it, i hope he pulls it off.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• st3v3b0st3v3b0 Member UncommonPosts: 155
    This guy is indeed the forefather of MMO games.  However, like all fathers they must die sooner or later.  His first adventure into gaming without big investors went south due to too much ambition and/or poor financial management with Vanguard.  As much as I would like to "kick in", I cannot do it on his name alone and especially based on the video (pre-alpha) visuals I've seen nor the answers to his first Q&A.  I have a feeling this will not take off unless their subsequent updates are better.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

hmm

Vanguard 2: Group Edition and extension of McQuaid's beloved Pantheon of the Ancients

Not sure if they will meet their goal but I'll keep an eye on it.

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    2017 release date? Wow, that's quite a wait.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    After Vanguard, how can anyone still get excited about projects of his?

You make me like charity

• drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    All of the information on their kickstarter is so vague, it sounds like they just have these ideas that they haven't even begun to design. They just make the same claims of every MMO ever without anything to really show how they will implement the ideas.
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

2017.  Yikes, I'll be old by then.  Not sure I can donate now not knowing whether or not I'll still play these games come 2017, lol.

Maybe Curt Schilling will donate a big portion to the fund,  he's a big EQ fan and he has a lot of mo....oh shit, wait, nm.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Nephaerius

[mod edit] 

Did you read the Kickstarter page?  Unless all you like is PvE combat with forced grouping the game has absolutely nothing else to offer.  How do they build in what they called forced downtime to enhance social interaction when the game currently has no plans for CRAFTING, PVP, HOUSING, or any other activity outside of pve combat unless it meets ridiculous stretch goals 4-5x it's base funding amount?

Also Brad McQuaid doesn't have a good reputation in the MMO community at all.  He's the king of blowing gigantic budgets on cocaine and prostitutes while releasing buggy piles of crap backed up with clever wordplay that tries to suggest he has no blame for the end result of the project.

I don't know if you ever actually PLAYED Vanguard, but that game was by far one of the top 3 MMOs ever created.   It had optimization and stability issues at launch that ruined any chance at success --because if we know one thing about MMO gamers, it's that we are impatient and often never willing to give a game a fair chance and base our opinions on the small but vocal negative groups-- but the game design, play, and everything was far beyond amazing.  [mod edit]

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!