Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why This game will be as successful as SKYRIM and past ES games.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by -aLpHa-  

Originally posted by Betaguy

Originally posted by -aLpHa- Skyrim and ESO are two completely different gametypes, i won't even dare compare them.  
     Agree to disagree, I have over 500 hours at the moment into my Skyrim game and I have no qualms with ESO. Not sure what your talking about, they are not that different.   and to the OP above me, I am one of them people. PS4 not only for ESO but for The Division as well. ;)
      Since Skyrim is a Singleplayer game the developers have a completely different mindset how they will implement content into their game be it Combat/Encounters/Leveling/Graphical fidelity/Progression. One of the big features that all the ES games had that i played was the scaling of content to your level, which i really liked. I could kill a big ass Dragon in a manner of minutes if i choose too.
    I don't think that's exactly true.

I don't believe Daggerfall had that. Morrowind didn't have that. Oblivion did but Skyrim had a modified version where they scaled various aspects of the world to the level you were when you entered an area. But it's not the same as oblivion.

Don't know about Redguard.

That's why i said the ES games that i played. As in i played Oblivion and Skyrim. I only tried Morrowind but couldn't play it because i had a coffee machine as PC back then when it released and neither did i play any of the prequels.

ah, sorry missed that. Wasn't wearing my reading glasses (really image)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

I loved the Elder Scrolls games and was looking forward to ESO until i looked I decided to read up the classes, skills etc

For me I'd play a mage or Sorceror as it is in ESO .. Then i see that the thing every Mage wants is no longer :-( .. by that I mean FIREBALLS :-) my Mage in Skyrim had a bit of a problem regarding fire and safety (of others anyway).  Most MMO's Mage's main destructive line is always Fire.

Thats been stripped away from what I can see to a Weapon line, Destructive Staff and Mage Abilities is Storm which if anything like Rift .. I didn't like.  I wanted a Mage with a sword throwing Fireballs etc now I read that if I actually wanted a character who used fire i'd have to have a Melee character as they were given the Fire abilities and have them weild the staff.

For me i'll wait and see if they change anything

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by fistorm

I wanted a Nintendo so bad, the whole summer I worked in a cornfield detasseling corn. (hard work for a 12 year old)  but I did it, and I got my Nintendo, and two games to show for my work.

I like the cut of your jib!

Reminds me of my youth. I worked at a construction site AND a bakery (yup, 7 days a week for a summer) so I could buy a new guitar.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by treysmooth

First Zenimax has never made a elder scrolls game, that's Bethesda which is allowing Zenimax to do the game, yes they own the company but no its not the same guys.  Second go look into Elder Scrolls onlne and its combat, lore breaking and any other giant difference that exist.  The reason people put 1000's of hours into Elder Scrolls games has always been because of the mods available to extend the life of the game.  In short Elder Scrolls games are a modders paradise.  I've played every Elder Scrolls game since Daggerfall, and after keeping up with Elder Scrolls Online I have no interest in the game its simply nothing like a Elder Scrolls game.

I am a ES fan but I never ever played any mod of any of the games in the series. I do see what mods can do for a game. Yet never felt tempted to put in mod in the series. I am the same with addons, don't us them, don't need them.

As for you not having any interest in the game. I can only say, you will miss out.

The ones that wil not miss out on the game ar those WoW-Clone players, you know people who shout Wow-clone yet they can not see it's themselfs having a limited playstyle and try to play other games excactly the same way they have played WOW. Because to me there are no WOW-Clone. And I have played/tested/tried allot of MMORPG's and MMO's since Meridian59.

OP: I wil say the game will actually suprise allot of naysayers.

• hg2012hg2012 Member Posts: 69

I keep seeing comments on here about how this game is going to be a theme park ride and skyrim wasn't... did these people actually play skyrim?

I mean it might of been open world and left you free to explore but all the main quest lines were pretty linear and most pretty much led to the same outcomes bar a few choices here and there. This game isn't going to be any different in that respect, the only difference between freedom of gameplay is that in this game you wont be able to do bizarre stuff like murder the townsfolk or spawn a dozen trolls to pillage Whiterun.

As for modding, the console versions of Skyrim didn't have mods and look how successful they were. Lack of mods isn't something that's going to kill the game, it will still be a good game.

The only real thing that stands in the way from this being a success is not how the game plays but the payment method.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Kicksave321
    Originally posted by JJ82

Ok, I pay $300 a month for internet alone, you think $15 dollars is a lot of money? Well, yeah....because I pay so much for the internet.

Seriously though. I feel the same way about $15 now as I did when I was 7. its $15 and I better be getting $15 worth for my $15 or I just threw $15 away on something not worth.....$15.

That's the difference between someone that is going to be able to retire before retirement age and someone that's going to work until the day they die. By continually pissing away small amounts of money. Now no doubt you will come back with, that's only $180 a year. Yes, for this topic. If you piss away $15 so easily on a business model built on BS to sucker you out of money, odds are you are doing it for a lot of other things too................like, $115 a month for internet..............lol.

$15/month lets put this in some prospective for those who say it's a lot of Monty for an mmo.  

Lets just oust say you play 10 hrs a week.  That's 40 hr a month.  That equals to about  $0.37 per hour of entertainment.  Where else can you get a better bang for your buck when it comes to entertainment?  

This complaint is pathetic and sad pay the $0.37/hr don't play and move on it's that simple.  If this is a deal breaker for some then they probably just want to get into the game for free so they can troll.  

Highlighted for the lulz.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Ok, I pay $115 a month for internet alone,  you think $15 dollars is a lot of money, as a kid I could collect that in cans to cash in less then an hour....

It bugs me to see this next gen of gamers want everything free,  when I was a kid..............

Ok, I pay $300 a month for internet alone, you think $15 dollars is a lot of money? Well, yeah....because I pay so much for the internet.

Seriously though. I feel the same way about $15 now as I did when I was 7. its $15 and I better be getting $15 worth for my $15 or I just threw $15 away on something not worth.....$15.

That's the difference between someone that is going to be able to retire before retirement age and someone that's going to work until the day they die. By continually pissing away small amounts of money. Now no doubt you will come back with, that's only $180 a year. Yes, for this topic. If you piss away $15 so easily on a business model built on BS to sucker you out of money, odds are you are doing it for a lot of other things too................like, $115 a month for internet..............lol.

I'm not planing on playing ESO but your comment about 15 bucks a month are full of lolz.

If I chose to pay those 15 bucks a month I get a full month worth of entertainment while paying the same amount of money on the movies gives me lets say Hobbit, 3 hours of entertainment.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by hg2012

I keep seeing comments on here about how this game is going to be a theme park ride and skyrim wasn't... did these people actually play skyrim?

I mean it might of been open world and left you free to explore but all the main quest lines were pretty linear and most pretty much led to the same outcomes bar a few choices here and there. This game isn't going to be any different in that respect, the only difference between freedom of gameplay is that in this game you wont be able to do bizarre stuff like murder the townsfolk or spawn a dozen trolls to pillage Whiterun.

Actually yes we did play it and no it wasn't themepark locked in.

With a complete open world, the ability to go anywhere at anytime right from the start of the game, not having a single limit to which skills/spells you can use, no limits on crafting skills, a fully mod'able world......its far more sandbox than themepark. Just having a storyline does not make it a themepark game. And yes, actually, being able to kill townsfolk does make it more of a sandbox, especially if you remove the blocks on being able to kill quest givers.

TESO funnels you to each questing area, funnels you to the next "level" zones all leading to the same place, a PvP land existing someplace behind an invisible wall that keeps your homeland safe from a war that is supposed to be gripping the entire world.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster

Originally posted by Torgrim

I'm not planing on playing ESO but your comment about 15 bucks a month are full of lolz.

If I chose to pay those 15 bucks a month I get a full month worth of entertainment while paying the same amount of money on the movies gives me lets say Hobbit, 3 hours of entertainment.

The fact that you think quantity is more important than quality isn't even worth a chuckle. However it does mean TESO could be the game for you.....

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    OP has such a terrible argument. All a hardcore Skyrim fan needs is a couple videos to never touch this game. People seem to forget the STWOR was one of the biggest flops of all time despite having the greatest name behind it.
  • AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217

The fact that you think quantity is more important than quality isn't even worth a chuckle. However it does mean TESO could be the game for you.....

The fact that you seem to believe that your perception of value and quality is greater than others, is sad.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Iselin

It's also funny how here we are, some PC players, moaning about $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

Glad you got your computer for free.

My sums are slightly different: -

some PC players, moaning about  $4500, $60 + a sub... how about $400 + a sub?

Please don't include the price of a console but not the price of a PC to make your point.

(No problem with a sub game BTW)

I won't include my fridge and other required home appliances in it either... We all have PCs of one sort or another. Getting a new one to play a specific MMO can happen but it's a bit over the top.... PS4 and XB1 otoh, nah... they're optional.

Yes, because most people can totally afford to just drop $400+$60 because they see one game they like *eyeroll*

I think someone is living in a rich world where daddy or mommy pay for everything because hate to break it to you, most people don't have that kind of money.

Smile

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

as someone who has put 300+ hours into skyrim and still playing it I will not be buying ESO.

it does not feel like an Elder Scrolls game it feels like a generic f2p MMORPG. and as a MMORPG player i will not buying the game for this reason as well, if a game is going to make me pay 15 bucks a month for it ..... the game better be top of the line EVERYTHING. Graphics, Animations, Spell effects, world, armor, weapons

and honestly i didn't see that in ESO.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

i love skyrim. but when i see ESO, i saw neverwinter night.

character and world scaled down , its look more cartoon than a real world like skyrim. i guess they had to do so so that they can run it as mmo.

i dont hate EOS, but it not capture me. i hope they done with ESO quick and make ES 6 so i can have something better than skyrim.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

As someone who played nearly all mayor mmo's for years , played -all- ES games and had a good try in beta  I can say i will buy this game. 

yes its a mmo adaptation, not everyting will be ES perfect but they done a damn good job, even if i take it as a plain new mmo whitout any fanboy toward ES its still a damn good mmo.  it got its own design, it feels far more Dragon Age  meets ES then anywere near Wow.   

I cant talk about much ofc, (beta) but this, yes the start is very much -on rails- its a theme park whit lots of typical mmo theme park design.  but the further you go into the game the more open it becomes the more interesting it becomes.

I dont expect them to make a bug free game..we all know ES games...  but i have not bin this impressed by a mmo (and its still pre-release)  since...maybe 10 years?  

Some ppl will hate it, others will love it .. I think this be a highly succesfull mmo..and the only thing that can realy mess it up for them would be EQ next. (since they kinda go for the same player base)  wildstar wont even be competition, those who will hate ESO will be WS fans and those who hate WS probaly will love ESO

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by squalleonaha i love skyrim. but when i see ESO, i saw neverwinter night. character and world scaled down , its look more cartoon than a real world like skyrim. i guess they had to do so so that they can run it as mmo. i dont hate EOS, but it not capture me. i hope they done with ESO quick and make ES 6 so i can have something better than skyrim.
    you be highly surprized at the detail this game offers,  and how smooth it runs on even low end systems 
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Skyrim.   This is why ESO is going to be the next generation of MMO's.   Skyrim, the single player game is a game that pulled many MMO fans away from their MMOs and into a single player game.   I headed over to STEAM to see what other people were saying about Elder Scrolls games and what made them so great.  What I found was amazing amount of reviews.  http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/reviews/   

After reading many of these reviews, I looked at the amount of hours people played on this game.   I found people had played this single player game unrealistic ammounts of hours.   One gamer I found had even played over 4000 hours.   That's equal to 100 weeks of full time work,  just about TWO YEARS of gametime, IN just one OFFLINE SINGLE PLAYER   Elder Scrolls Game!!!!!

Elder Scrolls not only has a huge base of RPG fans, but a lot of the gamers I seen on steam had ONLY ONE rpg game on their list...   SKYRIM.   SKYRIM has made so many fans elder scrolls game,  and even myself after playing MMO's for many years, SKYRIM is the only OFFLINE game that could ever take me offline.   It was amazing.    A lot of players knew that with SKYRIM, that games have reached a point of realism in gaming that was so real you never wanted to leave it.   SKYRIM was the new standard of not only graphics, but the new benchmark of ignoring all past games and wanting only games of that realism. 

Now that I covered the history of Elder Scrolls,  It has already proven to be successful and set a new benchmark for how good RPG's to follow are going to have to be to beat it out. Now take this game company and make them online.  This is why and how this game will be successful.   

Anyone whos ever played SKYRIM,  will atleast BUY or TRY ESO.   Because most of those players paid the box price for just SKYRIM, a single player game.   ESO is an Online game,  and will last longer then a single player game.   So if people loved SKYRIM to pay box price for it and love it and play it unbelievable hours, even up to 4000 hours, imagine how happy those people would be to play a ONLINE ES game that lasts more hours and gets NEW CONTENT for the whole next decade to come? 

Just because of the amount of gamers who bought SKYRIM, many new gamers to RPG will see this kind of RPG as the way games should be made in the future...   After years of ESO being the top game on the charts of all RPG fans, its natural a lot of teens of NEXT GEN gaming will be heavily indoctrinated with this type of game,  it will Solidify a new NEXT GEN just as a game like wow did,  to be the base benchmark of gamers for this type of old school/next gen RPG, at the very least, a SKYRIM quality or better game benchmark.

So after all of the above can you explain to me what makes ESO next gen?

I'm a beta tester since august 2013, i do think that it will be console players that make up most of the subs though.

It's a decent average mmo with an IP that won't allow it to fail.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Reklaw

OP: I wil say the game will actually suprise allot of naysayers.

If people watch what the dev team says and follows the progress of the game, and matches it up with the timeline of SKYRIM, and the history of ES games I think its very Obvious that this will be a SKYRIM ONLINE game, I don't understand why people haven't noticed this yet.  I think when devs say it WILL be a SKYRIM online, they find it easier to say that persons a liar, instead of having one thing I find you can do with all ES games,   HAVE TRUST in a game history that has never lied to you before, for OVER 10 YEARS.  Instead, we find people who have been locked up in solitary too long who start to overthink things and make deal breakers that seem almost insignificant to the entire reason we loved all the good things in SKYRIM that will now be put into a SKYRIM ONLINE game.  Its a game RPG die hard fans have been waiting for since the release of SKYRIM in an Online game. 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by karmath

Skyrim is a sandbox, albeit a lesser one compared to others in the ES series.

ES:O Is a themepark clone with the ES IP.

If you cannot grasp these two very simple facts you really should throw your PC out a window.

Skyrim, heck all ES games are not sandbox games. They are non-linear themepark games. All the rides are there for me to ride, I can just ride them in any order I want to.

Originally posted by Adokas

The fact that you seem to believe that your perception of value and quality is greater than others, is sad.

The fact that you are taking me saying "I wont pay $15 unless I get my $15 worth out of it" as "it isn't worth it for everyone" isn't even worthy of being called sad.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by immodium

If you cannot grasp these two very simple facts you really should throw your PC out a window.

Skyrim, heck all ES games are not sandbox games. They are non-linear themepark games. All the rides are there for me to ride, I can just ride them in any order I want to.

Just stop, you have no clue what you're talking about

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by Adokas

The fact that you are taking me saying "I wont pay $15 unless I get my $15 worth out of it" as "it isn't worth it for everyone" isn't even worthy of being called sad.

I pretty much just say it as I see it. These last few pages and your posts, seem to have been nothing but statements about what's valuable and how people are dummies for doing this and that. It's all fine that you think it's not valuable. Others might. No need to force it down others throats.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

People who think ES games are sandbox games have no clue what they are talking about.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon

People who think ES games are sandbox games have no clue what they are talking about.

Which single player rpg games do you describe as a sandbox games ?

By the way on youtube recently some players did upload videos about the gameplay, wonder how long they will be visible until bethesda will delete them.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

I think as far as skyrim goes,  You do the first part of the game and kinda choose you faction.  They then have the rebellion path, or the empire path you can take.   Or you can choose NOT to be EITHER.   You can run around the game and do every single thing in the game and it WILL NOT affect the TIMELINE of the MAIN STORY.    I personally would call that sandbox, because you can do anything you want, indefinatly with no timeline consequences.   Others may have a different opinion on what a sandbox is, but for the most part I think doing what ever you want and not be forced to progress through Only one way would be Sandbox in my eyes.   What do you think?

I had bought the Prima Guide on Steam for Skyrim and it says in there also that you can do basicly anything you want after the town, but its advised to progress a few quests down till you get the Dragon Voice.  About a few hours worth of work to get the ability.   So read into that how you will.  I think there will always be a few mandatory goals in every game, including sandbox's, but for the most part I think this is a true sandbox from a lot of peoples point of view.  Which is another reason I think so many found SKYRIM to be amazingly great, and a key feature of the game one I truly think will be carried over to ESO because of how foundational it is and was to SKYRIM, after all the key features have to be in a game any dev would call SKYRIM ONLINE.

This discussion has been closed.