Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gear score

13»

Comments

• NoleaderNoleader Member Posts: 6

What irony?  What people will abuse tools if they are given those tools?

Human nature ensures that happens...  The key is trying to strike a balance between usefulness while limiting the negative effect of the tool.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Robokapp

being afriad of gearscore is silly.

getting kicked after first boss and being saved to the lockout is infinitely worse.

"Hello, do you want to join my raid?  Ow wait, I don't like your shoes, they are cheap and not good, get out."

Best way to judge a game is by it's community, and what better way then to kick people out of content before even starting it?

GG GG GG.

And people wonder why MMO communties have gone downhill so fast.....please stick to WoW, don't need that attitude "memememememememe" to spread to other mmos.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I hope for some sort of gear score. We don't want some entitlement kid running through getting end game gear on day one of his account. Slap his hand. No more handouts.

A gear score will at least keep things in check for a while.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    That's the thing. Players will associated gear power with player skill. It's bound to happen and unavoidable.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The problem with Gs and meters is that people use it to judge others, not the tools themselves. It doesnt matter of you are a healer, dps, tank. This applies especially to raid leaders (great leaders trust and guide they don't need to manage minutie) In any case, in any other gaming arena if you start judging others and criticising then you would be considered unpleasant, mmorgs should champion this (MMO)

Due to the direction some raiding games have went this behaviour has been justified under the banner of 'progress'. Progress at any price has a great cost in terms of behaviour that can be seen today.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

There's two types of people when it comes to gear score.

1. The kind who understand that it's a tool and a general reference for a person's potential capability based on their gear. "Potential" being the key word.

2. The kind who use it as a substitute for player vetting and as a crutch to find people who outgear content so that they may have an easier time. This type of person inherently does not deserve to be grouped with good players as they themselves are imbeciles.

A dead tank is wiping the raid.

A dead healer is slowly wiping the raid.

A dead dps is doing zero dps and is increasing the chance of failure by not being able to contribute.

No amount of gear score will save people from being teh bad. It only let's people know that you have a higher ceiling of potential than someone else with lower gear score.

The way people use GS is what makes it useless.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

I wish I could pull up the internet meme picture of the crying baby "I just wanna chance!" lol.

It pretty much sums up these kids' mentality on gear score after reading this thread thoroughly. Where, I was considering it's functionality the crying baby meme purports to be most of this thread.

It's avoidable with gear that does not increase in stats per tier. New shiny gear = prestige. New shiny gear that expotentially increases power = failed balancing plus obfuscation of skill.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

You don't actually need Gs, all you need is the developers to set a gear level requirement for a raid based on internal balancing.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Haha gearscore and dpsmeters....the refuge of players with no skill.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    A player with skills ( like me image) is ALWAYS better than some stupid gear score...PERIOD.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by cheeseheads
    will this game have gear score built in like neverwinter? 

Gear will play only a small percentage in a player's ability to play the game.  Thanks to active-combat via the ability Telegraphs and CC breakout events, gear means little to nothing if the player is standing in the whelp...I mean, the "red telegraph" and constantly getting CCed 100% of the time without breaking out of it. 

So with gear playing a small percent in overall player performance, I highly doubt that the developers would build in such a blockade that turns focus away from their design mechanics.