Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

...another doom clone...

First, I know that this post will be hated and waste peoples time.  I apologize for that.  But this has bothered me for some time and felt it may be therapeutic for me to put my words into a forum.

I am bothered by people throwing the phrase wow clone at every new mmo like its a terrible thing.  Why do mmo's have to deal with that nonsense when fps games don't.  You could argue that every fps and even fps hybrid type games could be criticized for being doom clones.  And they come out in droves every year.  Yet they don't mock every game as a doom clone.

Wildstar has a different combat system (similar to tera) and seems to be doing a few things to differentiate itself.  But even if it wasn't.  Who cares if it is following the footsteps of previous games.  

People throw hate at WoW because it no longer holds their interest.  Well, I don't really think one game should hold your interest for multiple years.  And when you lose interest in it... let it go.  Try new games, even if similar and see if you can get a few months or year out of it (maybe it will be enjoyable for a year or two, what a nice win that is).

I have temporarily liked different MMO's but ultimately been disappointed and lost interest over time (SWToR, Rift, Tera, NW, GW2, even tried dragon prophet and so many others).  Although ultimately I was disappointed, my disappointment came more from my inability to maintain passion for the game, like I did with wow for so many years (long ago).  I certainly don't hate the games or think the games are a failure.  I appreciate the dev's product for keeping me entertained for the month or couple months I played it.

I hope Wildstar is the game that can renew my passion and keep me occupied for multiple years.  Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but that is better than giving up on it before I even try it.  Certainly better than bashing it and arguing about its failure before I have even played it.

Guess I just think that (some) vet MMO players are a bit of a grumpy lot and not sure why they can't look upon future games with some optimism.

For the record, I haven't enjoyed any fps like I enjoyed Unreal and I haven't enjoyed any mmo like i enjoyed Warcraft.  However I dont enjoy either of those anymore and fear I will never enjoy a new game like I did with my first go around with those classic titles.

Penny for your thoughts.

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Everything gets called a wow-clone these days, seems to be the cool thing to say to dismiss a game.  Final Fantasy XIV - WOW CLONE!!!  Even though about the only things similar in that game to wow are the generic-to-every-mmo mechanics of questing, dungeons, getting loot, etc.  But once ARR released with exclamation mark quest markers above npc's heads it was wow clone city!  The Secret World some quests you have to kill x amount of a mob = WOW CLONE!!!!!!  I really think most of it is just bandwagon followers - someone sees someone else call a game a wow-clone, then they just spit out the same nonsense without knowing two shits about the game in reality.  Usually any time someone starts spitting out "wow clone!" I pretty much dismiss anything they have to say from that point.
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    FPS games actually have in fact been harshly criticized  for a looong time and back then about being doom clones and quake clones. But i agree with your post
  • JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    i love how people call this game a wow clone, the only thing that this game has the same with wow is its graphics.
  • blackburn11blackburn11 Member Posts: 46

I am doing much more than giving it a shot.  I have very high hopes for Wildstar.  Hope it is a game I can put 100 days of game time in!

I love everything I see about it.  The trinity, the graphics and attitude, the control and combat style.  But, the real test comes a few months into the game after launch.  But I have my fingers crossed.

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by blackburn11
    I am doing much more than giving it a shot.  I have very high hopes for Wildstar.  Hope it is a game I can put 100 days of game time in!

same here, i sooo cant wait

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40

This ain't a Doom clone. There are no demons and it's not even a FPS. 

• AdokasAdokas Member CommonPosts: 217
    Originally posted by BradD77
    i love how people call this game a wow clone, the only thing that this game has the same with wow is its graphics.

Yeah. The graphics. And the style of questing, battlegrounds, and so on. It's basically the same game with a new setting, and housing. Note that I am not saying this is a bad thing. I'm not. I quite like WoW myself :-) But claiming they have nothing in common except graphics is just blatantly false.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Every FPS is hardly a DOOM clone. DOOM was a maze-like, castlevanian-esque "horror" shoot'em up where you really had to scavenge for health, secrets, armour and ammo.

The closest thing to that I've seen in modern gaming is the new Shadow Warrior game which had some key differences from DOOM even in its original game from the 90's.

I wish that's what FPS games were cloning. I wouldn't get sick of hilarious one liners and silly secrets and cool over the top guns nearly as quickly as I'd get sick of playing "Battlefield: Planetside 2 Edition" or "Call of Duty: Now with Aliens!"

Bloody hell, the last alright shooter other than Shadow Warrior that I've played was Soldiers of Fortune, and that was some amazing stuff.

• MiserySignalMiserySignal Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I'm glad my stupid comment deviated this thread.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by asrlohz

Every FPS is hardy a DOOM clone.

Even moreso, if OP wants an analogy, why doom clone, why not Hovertank 3d clone? That was the first... :)

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Every FPS is hardly a DOOM clone.

Even moreso, if OP wants an analogy, why doom clone, why not Hovertank 3d clone? That was the first... :)

Speaking of which, maybe he should add that Wii Tennis and any other sport game simulating tennis or similar sports are just a clone of Pong. And that EVE online and the upcoming Starcitizen are just clones of whatever that game was called where you shot meteors in space? Hah!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Every FPS is hardly a DOOM clone.

Speaking of which, maybe he should add that Wii Tennis and any other sport game simulating tennis or similar sports are just a clone of Pong. And that EVE online and the upcoming Starcitizen are just clones of whatever that game was called where you shot meteors in space? Hah!

Everyone knows that Space Invaders was the granddaddy of all sci fi games.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Everything is a clone of Pong.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Where was the OP in the 90's when every FPS was considered a Doom clone?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Yep, poor ol' System Shock flopped because of that trend... "what a lame doom-clone" they said "you have to change up and down manually, and crouch"

One of the best games of that era - and it ment something, the competition was tough back then, not like last year's FF XIV goty among the handful of released games :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Talgen
    Everything is a clone of Pong.

I don't think so.  Spacewar!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_video_game

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

First, I know that this post will be hated and waste peoples time.  I apologize for that.  But this has bothered me for some time and felt it may be therapeutic for me to put my words into a forum.

*snipped*

Penny for your thoughts.

My thoughts:  Don't share your post-WoW MMO life story in a topic thread that's completely unrelated.  "Hoping Wildstar is WoW 2.0" seems to be a title more suitable for your thread piece.     You basically said that you don't like how people label this game as a "WoW clone" as a negative yet said that all the other games that have come post WoW are not good enough to hold up to your particular standards.   Your thread further goes into grasping thoughts of hope that this game is in fact a WoW 2.0 so that you're able to grasp a lengthened relation to the game.    

The whole basis of this thread is hypocritical and far too label-ready (not an attack on the OP at all, but instead a focus on the incorrect context of the title and it's clash with the meat within).

If there's anything that I'm hoping that Wildstar becomes, is an evolution in MMORPG's that has learned adaptation of the [best] features of MMO's that have come before it:   WoW,  Tabula Rasa,  Guild Wars 2, The Secret World,  Rift, and others.      Not to become just a clone of a singular game or any single aspect focused on, instead taking piece of this and piece of that to put it all together into a very polished, very original [IP] game.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Or a Wolf3D clone if you want to go back to the raycasters with sprites.  I don't know where it started, but Wolf was the first I remember playing.  I think I played on a 386 back then.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by ZombieKen
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Or a Wolf3D clone if you want to go back to the raycasters with sprites.  I don't know where it started, but Wolf was the first I remember playing.  I think I played on a 386 back then.

That's why I wrote Hovertank above, that was the first game where Carmack tested his 3D ideas, mainly the movement and the map design.

But even Catacombs was before Wolfie, and in Catacombs the engine was almost the same already as the following Wolfenstein (they even took textures from it to Spear of Destiny, after you touched the Spear and it phased you into the next level, that level was a Catacombs hommage :) )

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

That's why I wrote Hovertank above, that was the first game where Carmack tested his 3D ideas, mainly the movement and the map design.

But even Catacombs was before Wolfie, and in Catacombs the engine was almost the same already as the following Wolfenstein (they even took textures from it to Spear of Destiny, after you touched the Spear and it phased you into the next level, that level was a Catacombs hommage :) )

Cool info, thanks.

CAT3D I recall, barely.  SoD doesn't even ring a bell.  Early 90s is sort of a blur for me.  I wonder if the sharewares are still floating around.  Would be cool to see them again.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I am bothered by people throwing the phrase wow clone at every new mmo like its a terrible thing. 

Here's a good editorial that is worth a read. Especially for all the wow clone nay sayers.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/15/feature/8099/World-of-Warcraft-WoW-Clone-You-Say-That-Like-Its-a-Bad-Thing.html

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Well OP, you can't tell me not to call it WoW clone either. And there is 0 hate present when I say that, just a fact. Because it's exactly that - a WoW clone in a different suit.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Any theme park MMO is a wow clone.

Case closed.
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

SoD doesn't even ring a bell.  Early 90s is sort of a blur for me.  I wonder if the sharewares are still floating around. 

Strange, I can see it on id's page for purchase, but it's also on every major abandonware site as well. Can't say what is it current status...

It was pretty much a Wolf 2, or even less than that (I mean Doom 2 was the same as Doom but it had at least some extras). Spear was the exact same game as Wolfenstein, just with new maps. The only difference was the Cata part in the end what I wrote above, with mossy walls, freaky ghosts and daemons and stuff.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN!!!!
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"